Still newer pro foo'ball Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Still newer pro foo'ball « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:48 pm:   

By Minz on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:45 am:

The boy needs Holmgren on his throat. He wouldn't be grinning about those picks if Mike were waiting for him on the sidelines...

Thanks for the info. Radio guys merely talked about how interceptions were so rough, likening it to being dropped unexpectedly into a kickoff return.

Harrison even went to Packers locker room after the game to check up on Chatman. Class act all the way. They even talked about how Chatman had to cheer Harrison up, tell him not to worry about it and keep playin football. Yesterday, I clearly got an early report filed right after the game. Product of the late start.
By Lucius on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:58 am:

Agreed about Holmgren.

Yeah, it was not a game that signals good things for the Pack. A funble, picks, no run d, special teams a joke. They better pick it up if they're goma have any kind of season....
By minz on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:01 am:

Well it's still early, only a preseason game, didn't have five different starters on the defensive side, blah, blah, blah, but yeah, clearly a difference between the Pack and the top team in the league. (It appears an insurmountable one, though I'm holding off until the end of the season before I judge our D, since they're still learning a brand new system. The Packers are talkin' to Cory Simon's agent. Don't know if we can structure a deal to get him, but wow, that'd be nice boost.)

I certainly am glad Fri's game didn't count, and that we're in the NFC. I'm still torn about playin AFC North this season--better North than AFC East, but I'd love to have the South this season. While North doesn't have the best teams in AFC, top to bottom they're all decent teams, no gimmes in the bunch. Alright, Cleveland I guess, but I'd feel better about that if we had them late in the year rather than week two. They'll be playing hard for Crennel for at least the first half of the season...

I am sooo ready for the season to just start, even if we have a handful of starters dinged up who need the extra week to get ready. Thank Gahd we've got the college game starting this week. Enough with the buildup. Let the games begin...
By Lucius on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:03 am:

I fell asleep during the Dallas-Houston game. Not, I think, an abnormal reaction. What happened? Anybody know?
By Rick Hauptmann on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:15 am:

Some team from Texas beat some team from Texas.
By Dave G. on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:22 am:

So, Mo Clarett bits the dust.
By Dave G. on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:23 am:

I mean "bites".
By Josh Rountree on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:05 pm:

Dallas was mediocre and Houston was frickin' awful. Some game notes:

- Romo basically locked up the backup job
- Keith Davis is making a solid case to be the starting free safety
- One of the Texans pissed of Roy Williams and he spent the rest of the game delivering some pain.
- Starting offensive line was terrible in the first quarter, but in the second they started picking up the blitz and the offence ran fairly well
- Patrick Crayton is locking up the #3 receiver slot over Quincy Morgan
By Lucius on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

Minz, you got the same problem KC did last year. Good coordinator, no players.

Dave, was there ever any doubt?

Rick, I guess shit happens.

Thanks, Josh. Did Spears play?
By Josh Rountree on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:46 pm:

Nope. Spears dressed, but he didn't play.
By Lucius on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

At least that's a step forward....

Flash! This just in! Brett Farve's Mother threaten by Hurricane Katrina. Watch out, NFL! Another Farve relative in peril--you know what that means.
By Lucius on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:46 pm:

Brett on Katrina: "Why me?"

I am not kidding. That;'s his reaction. Why me? What an amazing cretin!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   

Peerless Price was cut by Atlanta. However, I don't think that will be much news to be sure.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   

He'll catch on with somebody else and be lousy. Peter Warrick, too.

You think they'll ask Farve's opinion on the apocalypse when it comes?

Revelation According to Barth
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

"And, lo, the seventh seal was broken, and all manner of scurrying thing did scurry upon the land, and the Favre did then weep blood in copious amounts, for the land was good land, with high property value, and a nice view of the lake, and an A-frame with a jacuzzi...."

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

Recognizing that this is a fairly unimportant question at this point given recent events, but, has anyone heard anything about what's going to happen to the N.O. Saints? Are they going to have to forfeit the season? Obviously, they are going to have no place to play for a couple of months.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:53 am:   

The saints are going to play in Houston or San Antonio or possibly LSU stadium. But of more import, this may be the end of the Saints in NO, because economics may dictate that the franchise pass from the scene.

Barth, I love it!

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

Hey, can you say "Los Angeles Saints"?

It's inevitable, innit? Maybe they can be the first team displaced by a flood and an earthquake.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Can you say San Antonio Saints? THe owner has a lot of connections out there.

minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

Okay, let's set the record straight. Here's the whole quote:
Ive found myself over probably the last 24 hours a couple of times saying, Why me? or Why of all places? not that I wish the hurricane would have hit somewhere else, because its devastating to anyone else, too, Favre said.
But of all the places (for the hurricane to hit), why right there. As quickly as that thought pops in my head and it probably pops in my head more than Id like it to I try to remind myself of all the things to be thankful for.

While I was just going to laugh off L & B's comments, on second thought, fuck that! SHAME ON YOU BOTH. The guy just spent the past 24 hours wondering whether his mother and brothers were even alive, and you're mocking him for it. This is a new low. Grow up!

Granted, he's just one among many, and he can afford to take care of his own, since his family seems to have escaped without personal injury. And the fact that his mom and brothers attempted to weather the storm at home does shed some light on where Brett gets his smarts (although that is where the Favre family weathered the huge hurricane of '69, Bonita being pregnant with Brett no less), but considering his tiny hometown was exactly where the heart of a Category 5 hurricane came ashore, I think his is an honest reaction.

Certainly, he can be criticized as a football player, and his play a/g NE, in recent playoffs, etc, beg to be mocked. You can criticize him for his comments about football. But at this time of national tragedy, get a fucking clue and let the guy deal with his own problems amid all this.

It's not like he called for a press conference looking to talk about this. His profile as an athlete and the unfortunate reality that his hometown was dead center where Katrina hit means the media was going to come asking questions. Not his fault. And whatever you think of this good ol' boy, there's a time and place to rag on him. This ain't it.

FYI: I'm not pissed off at either of you. Brett's a big target and he brings some of it on himself. But grow up. Save your jibes for the game, not both a personal and national tragedy.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

If the Saints were to move, I don't think it would be to San Antonio. SA has a huge Cowboys fan base and I think Jerry Jones would do everything in his power to keep it from happening.

I'd also make the point that Texas wouldn't support 3 NFL teams, but the fact that Florida has 3 proves the opposite. Still, as much as SA wants a team -- shit, they built a stadium for one years ago -- I think it would be a city of Cowboys fans who also root for the home team when it doesn't conflict with Dallas.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:08 am:   

You don't think that quote is tthe work of an egomaniac? You been drinking too much green and gold Koolaid, MInz. I'm sorry. I find it absurd that they would seek his opinion of anything weightier than sensitive teeth and that he would feel compelled to give it. That they would ask and he would give make more a joke of a national tragedy than anything Bart or me have said. It's not as if we're making fun of the drowned. We're making fun of this idiot who MAKES HIMSELF AVAILABLE for press interviews on the subject of a national tragedy. That;s the key, here. He doesn't have to respond to the press. He could release a dignified statement as would befit a statesman of the game saying in essence that he's concerned and he hopes they'll respect his privacy in this time of blah blah. But he's so in love with himself, he goes right out and says, in effect, why me, lord?

That's not the whole quote, either. He goes on to talk about the terrible tragedies in his life. Most people I know have had a lot worse. Nor does the quote catch his delivery. He throws in that stuff about the hurricane hitting elsewhere as an afterthought, as a politic statement.....

Nope, can't go along with you, Minz. I said my piece, and I'm sticking to it. No offense intended...to you....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

So what are you saying, Josh? :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:13 am:   

I didn't see him making the comments, only read them, so I am completely missing context.

But regardless of what he said, and whether he's an egomaniac, I don't think it's worth taking shots at the guy for this. It's not like there's a paucity of other things to mock him about.

And no offense taken whatsoever. We've all known you and Barth are playa hatahs for a while now. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:17 am:   

Just one playa hata....And out of respect, I'll give Brett a pass for 24 hours. Kind of like a moment of silence. :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:22 am:   

Well, there's one thing I have to look forward to when Brett finally does retire. I'll be able to finally throw this wild theory about him being an egomaniac back in your face--because I do think once he retires, he'll gladly disappear from the limelight, and I'll finally be able to say "I told you so."

Don't get me wrong, his arrogance and ego as a player leads to most of his interception problems, and I'm not saying he isn't full of himself (I don't know him personally, so I don't know), but he's not an egomaniac seeking the limelight. And when he walks away and leaves the limelight completely, even as punkass bitches like Dieon still try to cling to past glories, I shall have the last laugh. You hear me, Shepard. The last laugh shall be mine!!! :-)

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

What about the Las Vegas Saints? Huh?

JK

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

I'm on a 24 hour hiatus Farve-wise....unless he dumbs it up again. :-)

Las Vegas would be a possibility, JK. Good call.

Wait a minute, Minz. You don't know him personally? C'mon you can feel him through your fingertips.

Barth
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

I ain't a playa hata, Minz. I'm not even hating on Favre, just the media that wants to take "the Favre angle" on the tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico. I mean, how fucking lame is that?? It's like listening to shit-ass local media talk about New Orleans through "the Minnesota angle." Gimme a damn break.

And if I *was* playa-hating, I certainly would't be hating on Favre. ;)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

I hadn't even realized that the levies were failing down in New Orleans--I stupidly thought the worst was past. I sure hope the Big Easy manages to recover from this.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

They got engineers working on 'em and are making progress.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

I thought the same thing, Minz. Was relieved NO didn't get hit worse...and now it's all going to hell, three days later. Oy.

JeffV

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

Some good news, I just heard on the radio that the water's stopped rising. But it's still pretty ugly down there.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   

Read Andy Fox's thread if you want a sense of ugly...and he wasn't even there.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:32 am:   

The Cowboys are close to signing Peerless Price...

Laird
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

They picked up a solid outside linebacker in Fujita. I imagine they plan to add some depth at safety--after yesterday it got very thin back there...as in nonexistent, barring one of the corners moving over.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Who do they open against...

Laird
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   

The Chargers in S.D. San Diego's tight end Gates is sitting it out on suspension.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   

Still....Tough opener.

Laird
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

Yep. Although I'm kind of glad it's early in the season while everything is unsettled because I think Parcells will have the team prepared. Oh, and watch for heavy pressure on Breese--he sprained his ankle the other night.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

I'm much more positive about the Boys than I was at the beginning of training camp. The D is going to be solid, and we may actually be able to score points too.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   

OK, time to talk about the Raiders again (I know -- boo, hiss). The only team they could beat pre-season was NO, who were obviously not focused. (BTW, I read today that the levies have been repaired.) But their first string looked pretty good when they were in. Collins seems to be making fewer mistakes, and Moss looks like he should have been a Raider from the get go. The front line is young and healthy. Defense still needs work. So, they won't go to the Super Bowl, but they're still my team and I gotta root for 'em.

I also like Favre and both Mannings. (I feel a lot of hate coming my way.) McNabb is hot, though I can do without TO (but can the Eagles do without him?).

Right now, New England, Philly, Denver, St. Louis look like the teams to beat; Atlanta and Indy perhaps. But every new season is a surprise.

Speaking of surprises...wouldn't it be nice if Oakland somehow beats NE on Thursday? (my fantasy of the week.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

"I like Farve and both Mannings."

You must also like the Blue Comedy Hour with Jeff Foxworthy and Hee Haw. Two gentleman who talk like Haley Barbour on helium and Franken-billy.

I'm kind of neutral about the Raiders...which, in a way, is kind of insulting. :-)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

Your fantasy is my fantasy, Jenni. Go Raiders!!

Though I'll have to agree with Lucius when it comes to the Mannings. Pathetic the way Archie's trying to relive his life through his sons, especially not letting Eli go to San Diego. Nothin' against the Gints, but I hope Eli and Archie get torn new ones. There's no crying in football, and there's nothing more pathetic than a highly paid professional athlete who hides behind his daddy. I can't wait for Eli to slip and the NY media eat them both for breakfast. F--- the Mannings.

And F--- Elway while we're on the subject of crybaby QBs who refuse to report to the team that drafts them. Whiny crybaby when he came in; whiny crybaby when he left. His histrionics on the field when an opposing player dared to tackle him were beyond pathetic.

Say what you want about Brett's intellect (or lack thereof), at least he's got guts.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:42 am:   

"Nothin' against the Gints..."

Oh, come on. Surely you can muster SOMETHING against them. ;)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

Now, now Josh. There's no need of badmouthing another person's team, especially when they're down, in order to put your team forward. Let's try and be positive henceforth.

:-) Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   

LMFAO

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   

What's the cause of your laughter, Minz? I'm turning over a new leaf.. I'm loathe to suggest it, but perhaps your zeal has caused others pain. I've come to understand that people tend to be injured by the harsh things said on these boards--injured as much as they are by the beatings they absorb in life. Witness the Baker episode. How were we to know, one might say, that Ms Baker would bring up a controversial topic and expect only delicate pronouncements; but I and Jeff Ford and all those who particiapted in her fleeing NS...well, it weighs on our conscience. We can disagree and, by virtue of allusion rather than confrontation, make plain our differences without offending.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   

Well put, Squire Shepard. Let our motto be "Positivity"!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

Yes, indeedy. Only one subject is exempted from this policy. Of course that subject is Notre Dame. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

Quincy Morgan signs with the Steelers....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

I figured he'd find a home.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   

Oh gee, Minz. You hit it on the head with the crybaby comment for Elway and Eli (I see a pattern there). Excuse me for putting Favre in the same sentence with Eli. (In my football fantasies of being a QB, I throw like Favre, and am running a two-minute drill.) He seems to be slowing down, but I hope it's just a temporary set back. Possibly because of personal things like the hurricane and his wife's cancer.

Thank you Lucius for your gracious words, as always, softened by a smiley face. Yes, indeedy, I watch The Blue Comedy Hour and Hee Haw, and have even seen you peering in from the closet. I saw you in the Black Hole at the Raiders final pre-season game Thursday night, dressed to the silver and black nines with face paint and hair spikes, and Moss tossed you his TD-making ball. Are you keeping it for sentimental value, or will it be up on eBay?

Did any of you think Rice would retire right now? I was surprised he went out before the season started. He didn't seem at all ready to stop playing, but what the hell do I know?

There, I have left myself open for verbal flaggilation on several fronts now. Bring it on! (Hint: if you really want to hurt my feelings, say nasty things about McNair. I can handle it (sniff), as long as he stays healthy.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 09:54 pm:   

god bless the raiders. I hope they have a wonderful season. You must have mistaken me for someone else. I haven't been in Oakland since 1984 when I lived in the Lake Merrit Lodge, writing my first novel and enjoying the company of a number of SSI zombies who passed their time doing cocktails of thorazine and fortified wine and watching a TV whose horizontal hold was on the fritz. I think they grew up to be Raider fans.

I think Farve is slowing down because the rat who operates the treadmill inside his head is growing old. In my fantasy, Brett, while being eaten by wild dogs, throws for four hundred yard and heals a water boy of ricketts, after which, in a dying interview with Bob Costas, confesses to a sexual relationship with his center, confesses to strangling a cat before every game of his Super Bowl Season, and with his dying breath, converts to Islam.

McNair? McNair who?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:02 am:   

"Only one subject is exempted from this policy. Of course that subject is Notre Dame."

". . . and God bless us, every one."

minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:06 am:   

Wheeeeee

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

Did I stray from my policy? I felt that was spoken in good humor. Oh, my. Let me try again. Brett is.....a good.....

Urgh....

Sorry.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

Speaking of whiney players and evil teams:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/09/06/alberts.espn/index.htm l

All is right with the universe . . .

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 08:34 am:   

What's it say? Can't access

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:14 am:   

Trev Alberts was pissed about playing second fiddle on ESPN College Gameday so he blew off work and got shitecanned by the network.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:23 am:   

Wheee!

Now we can hope for Lou Holz to do the same.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:32 am:   

Sorry, Lucius. Yeah, Dave summed it up nicely. I'd like to see them promote Lou Holz - to janitor.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

I've got to admit that "not so fast, my friend" and funny hats are starting to grate on me a bit.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

Corso is overdue, no doubt, but after watching his performance picking all the teams he ever coached to win....Holz is the priority.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Wait, Lucius, I got it! You're very happy that Favre is . . . not a Cowboy.

How's that for your new luvnhugs policy? Of course, Vegas wasn't even willing to give odds on how long it'd last...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   

Bless you, Minz. :-)

RaiderJenni
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 06:14 am:   

Thank you for your love talk, Lucius. It warms the cockles of my heart.

Are you really a Browns fan? They rebuilt their stadium in the same location, on the shore of Lake Erie where in winter the waves freeze midair, and didn't put a dome on it. They are gluttons for punishment.

Let the season begin -- woo hoo!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 07:25 am:   

Yup. Browns fan, primarily. They don't call us long--suffering for nothing. Domes are for wimps. Just ask minz.....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

Did anyone notice that Koren Robinson signed with the Vikes? If they get him straightened out, there's a guy who's caught a thousand yards in a season and been to the pro bowl......

RaiderJenni
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:42 am:   

"Domes are for wimps." Ergo, Favre is not a wimp. (I knew deep down you liked the guy.)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:19 am:   

He's not a wimp, he's a redneck idiot who thinks he's NFL Jesus. How can anyone like that? Yecch.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:22 am:   

Lucius, where's the luv???? What happened to your new leaf???

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

That's relatively gentle. Brett's certainly a fine example of a redneck idiot who thinks he's Jesus. :-)

But you're right, Dave. Old habits die hard.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 07:35 pm:   

In all fairness to Lucius (words I never actually thought i'd type), I believe a waiver should apply when haranging a multimillionaire athlete. That's a relatively victimless crime. Not nearly as bad as saying something like "All Cowboy fans are quiche-eating, fur-wearing pansy asses." :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   

In all fairness to Minz, I an your daddy in all things...but in a nice way....

Pretty good game tonight...for the first half anyway. Too bad the Raiders are getting stomped.

Heh heh.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:28 pm:   

Ah, so much love.

How much is Lucius paying you, Minz?
In all fairness, I think "All Cowboy fans..." should be changed to, "All Brown fans..."

Corey Dillon is on my fantasy team, so all's not too bad with this game.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:51 pm:   

Happy, Lucius?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   

Not particularly. I had no dog in that fight. Just you gotta admire the Pats, they're so consistently good. Who's next for the Raiders? The Chiefs, is it? Oh oh.

So you were pulling for Dillon to get 100 yds and a couple of TDs, but wanting the Raiders to win. Nothing could be a clearer example of why fantasy football sucks.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   

Yep, KC up next. And it gets better the following week -- Philly, in Philly.

Yes, fantasy football does add a new dimension to watching a game. I've never done it before and thought I'd give it a try. I may well decide it sucks and actually agree with you on something before it's over.

Your friend Favre is not on my squad. McNair is my starter. An emotional more than a business choice, but his forecasted numbers aren't bad (in the upper third). I actually root for him against the Raiders in real life -- even live at the Oakland Coliseum when he plays there. I cheered for Chucky, too, when he came back for the first time last year and the rest of the stadium was booing him. (Go figure, I think Davis is the bad guy there.) So far, I haven't been lynched.

What's your take on the Browns for the season? I confess I don't pay much attention to them. It's hard to keep track of everyone. Isn't Carmen Policy back with the front office? He's a smart cookie, and I suspect the long suffering will turn around before long.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 04:58 am:   

Betting offers the same basic dimension -- it keeps you interested in boring games and doesn't mess with your loyalties...

I think the brownies will try hard for Crennel, but there's just not enough talent there. I figure their in line for another top five pick in the draft. But Charlie Frye might be a player, and Edwards is, and they have a running game. It's on defense they're lacking. I don't see how they can stop anyone. If Crennel works a miracle with the D, they might squeeze out five or six wins....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 05:57 am:   

"All Cowboy fans are quiche-eating, fur-wearing pansy asses."

I'll admit to eating quiche on occasion, but I draw the line at wearing fur. Maybe something with a nice rattlesnake or armadillo hide.

And for the record, I'm predicting the Boys will have a slightly better record than the Pack this year. Hope springs eternal and all that...

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:27 am:   

Oh, I wasn't saying "All Cowboy fans are quiche-eating, fur-wearing pansy asses." I was merely using it as an example of how someone might cross the line, and instead of making fun of multimillionaires who are getting paid play a game, attacking fans themselves. Which, of course, would be inappropriate. :-)

After all, we're all caught up in the same affliction, just different strains of the same disease. A brotherhood of the damned, as it were.

Sorry for the loss, Jenni. I was pulling for the Silver & Black. Pats are reminding me of the Lombardi teams of the 60s. Sometimes dominant, always consistent. Work on perfecting your own system and winning follows. Great stuff. But I sure don't want 'em to win.

It's also realllllly bugging me how many times I'm seeing the morons that call themselves "reporters" keep getting the most basic of facts wrong. Yes, the Pats are trying to be the first team in NFL history to win three straight SUPER BOWLS. But I keep seeing the same mistake again and again. That they'll be the first team to ever win three straight championships. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Twice in the annals of the NFL has a team won three straight championships. (Both times, it was the Packers: 1929-31, 1965-67) This isn't about crowing for my team--well, mostly it's not about crowing for my team. It's bitching about how ridiculously sloppy all these idiots are who write about the game. Inaccurate factual claims from the people who are paid to write about the game. Especially when it comes to something as big as the actual league champs. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I understand in sports, a lot of reporters are paid to offer theirs, BUT GET THE BASIC FACTS RIGHT. Thus endeth today's rant (about football).

Though I'll offer a hearty second to Lucius' continued efforts to debunk fantasy football. The nice thing is that we're starting to see more and more sports reporters and commentators haranging about this (Jimmy Kimmel last night, and I've read at least three different articles about this.)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

"This isn't crowing about my team..."

No, it's yodeling.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Yeah, Lucius, but betting messes with your money. My FF is free, and the winner gets a trip to the Super Bowl (not that I'm packing yet).

Thanks for the support, Minz. And considering the Raiders were playing the Pats, they looked pretty good -- not that I'm biased.

And I got your quiche-eating comment. I was just using it to pick on Mr. Brownie who was mirthfully watching my quiche eaters get stomped.

I'm not so bothered by the Pats being dominant, since it's so much harder to do nowadays, I have to give 'em their props. As for commentators, they can be annoying, as you point out. But you know they have to invent as many "records" as possible anymore. "The most rushing yards by an ambidextrous QB in the first 3.6 minutes of the second half of the third quarter, with mis-matched shoes and his jersey's out so he'll be penalized and made to sit in the corner with a dunce cap on."

Hi Josh -- I would like to see you in an armadillo hide.

Barth
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

I didn't see the game last night but read the play-by-play on NFL.com this morning. What I noted was:

K.Collins incomplete to R. Moss
K.Collins 72 yds to R. Moss TOUCHDOWN!
K.Collins incomplete to R. Moss... (ad nauseum)

The Raiders are going to learn what the Vikes had to learn, that Moss is such a tempting target he actually interferes with the offense.

But if you try to round out the offense and deliberately DON'T throw his way, well, that's when the whining starts...and the tantrums...and then it's...

"MooooOOOOoon river..."

RaiderJenni
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

Yes, Barth, you got the right song. (I did like Moss's moon mime, though.)

Not to mention all the times Collins just kept hanging onto the ball waiting for Moss to get open.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:56 am:   

Exactly. I was sitting there last night wondering why Turmer kept trying to jam it in to Moss, why he wasn't running more, etc, etc...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

I didn't watch the whole game, but the Raiders looked decent early. I think Lamont Jordan might flourish now that he is out of Curtis Martin's shadow.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

"I would like to see you in an armadillo hide."

I'll go scoop a few of them off the road and see what I can cobble together.

Too late for the Raider nation, but what say the rest of us predict the fate of our respective teams this week. Here goes:

Cowboys 17 Chargers 20

That's right, I think we'll lose. But SD is going to be solid this year and it might take a few games for the Cowboy offense to get up to speed. I still predict the Boys will make the playoffs.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 10:19 am:   

I agree, Dave. And Courtney Anderson was no slouch, either.

Josh, let's hope the Chargers fail and THEY can wear your armadillo suit.

Can I predict the fate of my Other team (Tennessee)? TENN 24 PIT 21 in OT.

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Packers 34 Lions 30

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:52 am:   

Oh, and while I expect the idiots on TV to get things wrong (I loved your little riff on the "ambidextrous QB", btw), but I had actually been talking about reporters and columnists in print, where ostensibly we could hope they'd actually have fact-checkers and the like. Silly me to expect them to get it right.

Oh, and Lucius, Yodolayhehooo.
Or maybe, Yotomdelayheblew.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   

The Raiders were doing fine until Bellichek made adjustments.....then they weren't. Turner couldn't adjust.

I think the Harrington experiment is over. Pack should win. But you never know. The only game I'm interested in is Colts-Ravens

b
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   

I got the Lions playing hard in Detroit and taking the home game (splitting for the season). Also, the Team o Destiny beating the Giants. After that, my picks are vanilla.

Ravens over Colts, Lucius?

Laird
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   

Glenn picks off Brees in endzone with under 40 seconds left.

Cowboys come from behind to win 28-24.

Oh, but we got to watch Favre look pained against the Lions D...

b
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   

It almost makes the loss in Minneapolis bearable...

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   

Hey, Josh, you had an exciting game! Especially that last drive holding off the Chargers was awesome! Thank the 'Boys for me.

Also glad to see Miami beat the pants off Denver. Now if someone could do something about KC....

Gotta go root for the Colts now.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   

That Cowboy game was awesome.

Farve had the look of old thorazine-sick men I've seen in hopeless wards...

He's developing a new kind of pass for int. He didn't actually throw one with this techinque, but he almost threw three. That little lob over the lineman's head. It's gonna be sweet this year.

Sure, Ravens. I hope they have to surgically remove Ed Reed from Manning's chest cavity.

What happened, Barth. I heard TB manhandled them.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

Ouch, Lucius, you are harsh! The Quentin Tarantino of football.

Yeah, I felt bad for the Vikes, but I liked to see Chucky smile -- a rare expression for him.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:27 pm:   

BTW -- I like Tarantino. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   

Me, too.

Are you sure Chucky wasn't grimacing or grinding his teeth?

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   

Well, it might have been gas.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

Yup. :-)

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:39 pm:   

Holy Moly -- 24-0. I can't bear to watch anymore.

Barth
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:12 am:   

Honest, the Vikes didn't get manhandled, Lucius. MN could have easily won that game, but we're sloppy as hell right now.

It was the line. Birk's back-up is half-assed - that's the offseason loss that hurts the most. Losing him *and* G Dixon? Feh. No run, and no decent protection as a result. But it's all fixable.

Not to take too much away from TB. They're defense is as tight as ever, and better than advertised.

I feel great about our defense, though. A TD by Sharper and no meaningful score after the half. We'll see if the defense can give the offense time to get their sea-legs.

Hats off to the Cowboys, painful as it is for me to say that. It was classic Parcell football. Great game!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

I did not get to see the Jints vs. Team of Destiny game, but I ran into a Giants fan friend of mine who painted ugly scenes of carnage. Claims the Giants are loaded with speed this year, Eli looks good and Brandon Jacobs is the power-running third down back the Jints have never had. I liked what I heard, even if I didn't get to see any of it.

I nearly laffed myself silly when, after rumbling into a Giants scrimmage starting brawls and committing cheap personal fouls to show how bad-ass they were, the Jets came off looking like a bunch of slap-happy patsies. Way to go, Chad! That over-the-head snap was priceless!

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:35 am:   

And, just our luck, the Jints get to be the guys who burst this whole Saints-feelgood-story bubble. Damn.

Minz
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

I keep hoping Seattle will wise up and fire Holmgren, so we can bring him back as QB coach. :-)

Surprisingly, the D looked pretty darn good, in spite of Ahmad Carroll's numerous flags (he earned all but one of them). I can't believe the way we completely abandoned the running game. I want to question the playcalling, though I am worried that it may be a byproduct of our missing guards.

Of course, the only real news is:
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/sep05/355026.asp
At least we didn't cave in and pay the kid a bundle... He'll still deserve a big contract, but we should be able to save a little on it.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

Man, the Cowboy game was a nailbiter.

Henry looked worth every penny at CB -- one int, 5 passes defended, and on his man like a glove all day. Roy was back near the line of scrimmage and hitting hard again. The D gave up 24 points but managed to clamp down when they needed to. Great finish.

And the offense...28 points?? It's sad that that amazes me, but the past few years have been goal line hell. I didn't see the final numbers, but I think they went 4 for 4 in the red zone -- all TDs.

Patrick Crayton looks even better than he did in the preseason. That kid might end up being a star.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

Go Falcons!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

Go Falcons, indeed.

Everyone else in the NFC East won, so it would be nice for the Eagles to fall behind right off the bat.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

Well, the redskins aren't a threat....and the Giants, I doubt it. That's why I'm pulling for Mr. Vick bigtime.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

How about the gane larry fitzgerald had --13 catches, 155 yards. That's Rice-like.

Javon getting hurt's a drag -- Farve'll probably say something stupid about it....."I told the boy to come in early, but he wouldn't listen...." :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

Also, it's not like I need any particular incentive to root against the Eagles. It's just a matter of course.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:52 pm:   

I didn't get to see the Team o' Destiny on Sunday, but I consider those Fitzgerald numbers merely a promise fulfilled.

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   

Well, team of desting (I thought it was tean of the future) got killed. But FItzegerald was a stud....no doubt. He was awesome.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

The Falcons have done the league a favor. Now the 49ers must rise up and smite them.
.Did anyone notice how unhappyTO Looked?

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

It was a pleasure. Coupled with UW's dominance, and Chi & MN losing, the bad taste from the Packers play was almost completely rinsed out of my mouth. Almost.

Go NINERS!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Hey, not that Walker's been injured, is Farve gonna chip in 9 mil to pay him?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

Now not "not"

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

May the TO misery continue.

Come on, Niners!

*Gag* Did I just write that? Only against the Eagles...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   

Has he made any snappy public statements yet about how Chunky Soup Donnie let down the side?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

Unfortunately he'll probably have a good game Saturday, but....if there;s a god.

TO been quiet as far as I know.

Alex
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   

I have two separate $40 bets, both made with close friends at a time of vulnerability and borderline alcohol poisoning, that the Lions will make the playoffs.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

Call me next tine you feel the urge. Beating the Packers is no great shakes. Lots of people will be doing it! Actually, i figure your bets are toss-ups, the NFC is so weak.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   

TSN's list of the top hundred player is out and it's predictably....well, here are the top 25

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
LT
Moss
D. Culpepper
D. McNabb
Walter Jones
Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
TO
Brett Farve
M Vicl
Julius Peppers
Michael Strahan
Priest Holmes
Tony Gonzales
Julian Peterson
Jonathan Ogden
Torry Holt
Champ Bailey
Marvin Harrison
Bran Urlacher
Dwight Freeney
Richard Seymour

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 08:07 am:   

I dunno. Joey Harrington realllly underwhelms me. Your d stays 100% healthy, I think tossup is probably right. But the D has got to stay together. You won't be winning too many shootouts.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

Harrington underwhelms me as well. That's why I say toss-up. But it's a weak division....

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

Ah, what the heck. I spend a lot of time up in Orono now that I got this new gig, so I won't be seeing those guys much. Not that I would ever welsh on a bet.

Is Garcia out for the season?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

I think they said 6-8 weeks, but as I understand it, he was any better than Harrington in the pre-season.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   

Wasn't any better

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

I never have understood while the lions never gave McMahon a chance to earn the job -- I thought he had more potentiial than Joey and so apparently do the Eagles....

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

Because Matt Millen is afraid of looking like an idiot for having blown a #3 pick on Harrington, is my guess.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

There you go! I liked McMahon -- he was mobile, great arm. That's the problem with Harrington -- even with those, he doesn't go downfield enough.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register