Fatwa Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Fatwa « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Pat Roberston, the American conservative cleric, has callled for the assassination of President Chavez of Venezuela. I don't have much to say about it. Not much to say about this American fatwa. There it is. At a time when Iraq's new constiution is threatening to cause more violence than has gone before, and the president's men are belching platitudes, "stay the course, stay the course," it fits right in.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Nice conservative Christian message from sweet old Pat, huh? Of course, you look at the Bible in all its blood-soaked glory and see where the fucking lunatic is coming from. Yeah, I love the "Traditional American Values" set. I really do.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

Well, you're bound to get hypocrisy from a southern baptist. They trade on that shit. :-)

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

Just because "blood-soaked glory" is manifest in a text that doesn't mean the text endorses "bload-soaked glory."

And just because Robertson, a proclaimed "Christian," speaks a message of ignorance and hate, that doesn't mean he speaks for all Christians.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:45 am:   

Well, of course not, but he speaks for a considerable segment of the population, many of them christian, does he not? Neo-con christian being the applied term.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:54 am:   

Kelly, peace:

I agree on the latter--PR doesn't speak for all Christians. No one speaks for everyone.

The Old Testament does record bloodshed and often on a massive scale. God commanded quite a bit of the old Ultra-Violence, according to Numbers, for example. I can't think of a more powerful endorsement than that, personal interpretations notwithstanding. Heck, the NT notwithstanding. I think it's admirable that plenty of Christians reject the bloodier and morally antiquated philosophies of the Bible. It doesn't change the fact that these philosophies exist in the extant text or that a significant number of people adhere to them.

Best regards,

Laird

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

How many regular 700 Club viewers could even find Venezuela on a map? Robertson might as well be advocating assassinations in Oz or Narnia.

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:40 am:   

Laird:

I totally agree, there are exhortations to violence all throughout the Old Testament and a great deal of loquacious and highly-visible right-wing, lunatic Christians who adhere fanatically to these calls to violence.

It's too bad that these individuals define our (society's) perception of what a "Christian" is. Because there are also large numbers of liberal Christians who go to great lengths to spread peace and tolerance in this world; who exist at the other end of the spectrum from the likes of Pat Robertson.

Lastly, thankfully no text exists in a vacuum, without interpretation.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

"...there are also large numbers of liberal Christians who go to great lengths to spread peace and tolerance in this world; who exist at the other end of the spectrum from the likes of Pat Robertson."

Amen to that. ;)

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

Shouldn't it be called a Patwa?

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

roflmao.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   

:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   

How about a Twatwa?

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:08 pm:   

Maybe Pat will happen into some sort of accident?

But, I think he's onto something. Why stop at Chavez? There's plenty of more deserving leaders right in his own backyard...

PM
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   

One wonders about Robertson and the wacky things he says.

But what some may not realize is that he's highly educated. He doesn't come across that way when he's spouting his craziness...

And it's a bit ironic that the University that he's associated with has law and counselling programs which are approved by the American Bar Association and the American Psychological Association.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:35 pm:   

Some of those hate speech laws they're flirting with in England might come in handy right about now.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   

Actually, PM....Robertson was a tax lawyer, on his way to Brazil, a country with whom the States has no extradition treaty, when he saw the light of Jesus. Apparently he'd been naughty...and figured out a better way to beat the rap/

Marc, yup on those hate laws. They got legalized lynching, too?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

Like Saul on the road to Damascus...Inspirational! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

RIGHT!

PM
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:45 pm:   

Well I wouldn't expect anything less than an inspirational story from Pat!

But I'm content to ignore him and not pile on...he certainly managed to generate media attention though...

Lisa Goldstein
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

Saul cheated on his taxes???

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:57 pm:   

Incessantly...:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

Funny, he tried the universal celebrity weasel-route saying his comments were "misinterpreted" (:-)), but he could not sustain that canard. He ended up flat-out apologizing.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:30 am:   

Misinterpreted....?

Pfffff....'

Roll the video/

I liked him when he was fatth healer. He used to have this wheel he'd spin with the names of American cities writtten on it and he'd give it a spin and say stuff like, Right now, the power of Jesus Christ is healing a case of gallstones in Quincy, Indiana.....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Was it as good as Robert Tilton rubbing oil on viewer letters and speaking in tongues?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

You have to hear it -- I can do a mean Pat Robertson, so if we're ever in the same room, remind me to give you a sample. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

And let's not forget that this is the same Pat Robertson who was just fine climbing into bed with Liberian psycho strongman Charles Taylor when there was a gold mining concession involved.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Charles was a fine hunan being.

Bill Reynolds/Socrates17
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   

You can appreciate the real consistency in the Old Testament when you notice that The Lord, after commanding the slaughter of, say, the Hittites generally helpfully reminds His Faithful not to forget the women and children.

Dave - he apologized? I hadn't read that. Gee whillikers, that makes it all ok then.

Marc - that stuff that Blair is pushing through in the UK is really scary. And it seems to me that no one in the public eye (even the Lib Dems) is coming up with a sufficiently appalled reaction. The Economist (yes, I read The Economist - mea culpa) had a good piece comparing the current legislation to the failure of similar draconian measures to stifle the Anarchist movement, which eventually petered out of its own accord.

MCisco
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

A fine Hunan being, and wok star extwatwaordinaire.

I was beside myself with glee when I heard about this, because I knew Chavez wouldn't take it lying down. He's now evidently offered discount oil to America's poor people (that there aren't supposed to be any of).

Robertson is the top of the religious pimp tower; he sells electorates to rich people. What the unions used to be for the Democrats, the churches - especially the ones that don't bother trying to come up with consistent explanations for taking the positions they take (pro-life and pro-war, huh?) - are for the Repugblicans. Infrastructure of buildings and phone banks and collection plates (and cult zombies), all tax free to boot.

I miss Gene "Bunk Man" Scott.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   

Miss him in what way? You can have him 24 hours a day:

http://www.drgenescott.com/home.htm

MarcL
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

I prefer Hunan greenbeans myself.

kellys
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   

Just heard Chavez is offering humanitarian relief and fuel to help with the New Orleans disaster. Will the Bush/Robertson brigade accept such an offering from a "communist"?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register