College football Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » College football « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

Purdue doesn't play either OSU or UM? What's up with that? And they get Iowa at home? Could they have an easier schedule? They could have the worst undefeated season since BYU (sorry, Forrest) won the NC. Mark May picked them as an NC contender. Jeez.

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   

No, I understand. But we still went undefeated and won the NC! Yeah, I've seen the boilermakers juggled around here and there as possible NC contenders. 'Course they have to get through the BADgers first, which is no guarantee.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   

You beat a 6-5 Mich team in the holiday bowl. I don't want to rag on ya, but that's weak.

That's surreal, though, about PDue. Somebody up there knock them off!!!!!!

Forrest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Weak, yet effective. Yeah, so it was a season full of cheap shots, but you take what you can get. No BYU fan in his right mind is going to gloat about having knocked off a bunch of powerhouses - that clearly didn't happen. But the cards fell just right and you can't knock the cougars for playing the cards well.

I don't think Purdue is so tough. Just a hunch I have. Someone will knock them off, maybe a couple of someones, say Iowa and Wisconsin. But, like I say, that's just a hunch.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

They get Iowa at home, so that's not good. Oh, well.

No cougar-knocking here... :-)

Forrest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Reading the wisconsin boards at Rivals.com is like a lesson in group schizophrenia. People are up, people are depressed, people get epiphonic episodes of delirium, followed by paranoia.

I just can't wait for the friggin' season to get underway so I can get a realistic view on what the BADgers can and can't do. It's all a mystery to me at this point. Same with BYU. I'm a mentally unhealthy football fan at the moment. At least I'll know whether to be elated or depressed once the season tgets underway.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:25 am:   

Oh, yeah. You'll have a good idea after Hurricane Omar hits town. 420 pass attempts and four INTs. You may also have a good read on the status of your own QB.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:49 am:   

We're a week away from collegs ball? Isn't anyone excited?

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

Well, it's still eleven days until the first *big* game, but yeah...there's a little electricity in the air.

Incidentally, I read in the Pittsburgh paper that at the beginning of spring practice, Wannstedt's biggest concern was that the O-Line was fat and slow and there was no depth on the depth chart. Enter the strength and conditioning squad. The o-line guys showed up for summer practice averaging a 22 pound weight drop, and in excellent shape. According to Wannstedt, "Problem solved."

:-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

Get used to the rollercoaster, Forrest. It's going to be an up-and-down year.

From what I'm reading about Stocco, he's actually showing some touch on the long ball. If that's true, it puts Jonathan Orr back in the game, bigtime. That alone could be worth a couple of wins. I'm sticking with my red-tinted glasses and saying 8-4, with one surprising win, and one surprising defeat and a coupla key wins in tossup games. BG will be a real test, and I imagine the Badgers could actually be the underdogs. Omar does scare the crap outta me...

Oh, and I told y'all that Purdue was going to win the Big Ten. Weeks ago. Veteran squad, great schedule=dark horse win

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Horns will steamroll Louisiana-Lafayette a week from Saturday. The Saturday after that is when the season really starts...

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:36 am:   

You sure they won't be looking past 'em, Josh?

(Yeah, I know they could start the band and still beat UL-L...)

My Pitt prediction, FWIW...comes down to four games: ND, Nebraska, Louisville, WVU. Louisville is too close to call. They should beat WVU and Nebraska this year (in the latter game Pitt's excellent secondary should toast the still-wobbly Husker-version of the WC offense). ND is going to be a very tough game...emotions and expectations are going to be sky high and that's not usually good. So...could be 9-2, but I'm expecting 8-3.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Oh, and I know you're all anxious to see the new helmet design...

\image {Pitt}

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:49 am:   

Oops...let me try that again...

Pitt

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

That is lovely! Captures the neo-classical feel of the game, yet still has a touch of the post-modern. Exquisite! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

"Oh, and I told y'all that Purdue was going to win the Big Ten. Weeks ago. Veteran squad, great schedule=dark horse winner."

Even a monkey can fart the Star Spangled Banner if you feed it enough beans. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

Frankly I'm concerned about the U. They have a great team, but not a great coach. His losses have increased each year. It's like they're running a Ferrarri on retreads and I don't think we're gonna see more NCs until we fire his ass. I know you share my concerns.

But Florida now..I'm looking forward to them busting the Vols bubble....

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

I still say OSU will take the Big Ten. Purdue will stumble somehow, somewhere.

And, yeah, I'm getting really worried about BGSU. If our secondary doesn't ratchet things up a notch, we're dead.

I had just read that Stocco is having a tough time reaching his receivers on long throws, that he's under-shooting them. If he can clear that up, we might have a decent season, maybe 7-5. Maybe better, if a couple of freshmen emerge as superstars (hint: watch the three freshman LBs and QB Sherer - too early to tell, really, but rumor has it that they'll all get some playing time in this season).

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

Florida should be a fun team to watch this year. I have high expectations of them. Wyoming will be a tougher opponent than most think, though.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:40 am:   

"Florida should be a fun team to watch this year."

For some value of "fun" I guess. Maybe they can soften TN up for the Tide...

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Maybe Miami just needs new helmets, Lucius.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

Naw, much as new helmets would help, the problem goes deeper than that.

Hey, I bet fla has fun with alabama.... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

Say what you will about Miami, they do have the coolest jerseys in sports. Hands down.

Deborah, why Pitt messed with the old Marino-era unis is beyond me. They were so much cooler than the ones they have now.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

The feeling was the old script Pitt and the bright blue and yellow was too whimsical. I'm not making this up. Steve Pederson (old AD who is now at Nebraska) spearheaded the move to change from Pitt to Pittsburgh and have serious-looking blue and gold.

Somebody noticed last year that "Pitt" had been a brand for about thirty-forty years...and maybe that was something to go back to.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

I liked the old unis with the pawprints on the shoulders. Whimsical? It was the NC uniform! What's whimsical about a NC?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

Funny - BYU is going back to their old-school jerseys (after several failed attempts at fashion, including the notorius Star Trek Bib uniform of the mid-90s). Coach Bronco said something to the effect of "This is the uniform we won the national championship in. It's loaded with history." I think he's trying to summon up the ghost of the not-quite-dead-yet Lavell Edwards.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   

The Flutie-era BC jersey with the maroon and gold arm stripes is much cleaner and cooler looking than that post-modern mess with the "hip" slanty numbers.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   

I agree about the paw prints, Dave. I had bright yellow sweats with paw prints on the...er...*back* that were my favorite study-wear when I was in law school...but try to explain the importance of that kind of thing to the professional marketing guys.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   

I agree, also, about the paw prints. Just look at Clemson.....er. Nevermind.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

Well, Pitt's pawprints didn't look like they'd been left by a plush toy that walked through some orange jello.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   

Point taken....and I have a back-talking plush toy who can prove it. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:44 pm:   

Well, I thought this was just funny as hell...

From Stewart Mandel's SI.com column, the letters section:

Q: Being an Alabama alum and lifelong Crimson Tide fan, I've always had a natural hatred for Notre Dame. However, I've also recently developed a severe loathing of Tennessee. When Tennessee and Notre Dame play each other, whom do you think I should pull for to win? My in-laws are die-hard Irish fans, so if I pull for the Vols, they will throw things at me and cut me out of the will. (I am married to their daughter, an Auburn alum). Yet I would rather kiss you on the mouth than root for Notre Dame. What should I do? --Aldon Hughes, Atlanta

A: Let me get this straight. You're an Alabama fan married to an Auburn fan -- and your in-laws are Notre Dame fans. Are there ever any mornings where you wake up and just want to run away?

But c'mon, Aldon, this isn't hard. Tennessee is your school's hated rival, not Notre Dame. The Vols are the ones who ratted your team out to the NCAA, remember? I thought 'Bama sends you a letter explaining that with your tickets. So, clearly, if given a choice, you have to side with the Irish. But sorry, I don't exactly care to kiss you, either.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:50 pm:   

Stuart, I see, ignores the obvious stadium collapse-meteor strike answer. And he is wrong. The two teams play to a scoreless tie. contract STDs during the post-game prayer huddle, and, slowly, painfully, succumb.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   

And I'm sure Forrest would be quick to add, "...all while the Vols endzones are subject to repeated strafing."

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

Yup....and the occasional smart-bomb.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:03 am:   

Has Pitt actually sold more of the drab mod jerseys? I would be shocked if that were the case.

minz
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

"And Jimmy Hoffa rises from his grave in the endzone, takes one look at the true horror under which he was resting, and shoots himself."

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

Canes TE Gregg Olson, according to coaches, will be the best TE ever to come out of Miami, better that Winslow, Shockey, or Franks....

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

How'd he do on the Potential to be Self-destructive Quotient Test?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

He beat whats-his-name the ex Pitt QB's score.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

Rutherford? He didn't self-destruct off the field. He just wasn't good enough to play in the NFL.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

The incidebt with the car full of girls....Remember? None of that for our Greg. It was in jest. Who can tell? The guy seems to have his head on straight and he is very talented, but you don't know til after they sign the contract.

BTW, I hate preseaon shit. Their picks are right out of the vat. :Louisville, LSU-Tenn, SC etc.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

I was hoping to hit the Vols endzones with a combination of paint thinner and defoliant: "Agent no-more-Orange".

I'll second the preseason hatred, but what else have we got, except a universal hatred of golden domes, Cornhusker "Nowledge," and purina dog chow endzones, to carry us through the summer?

Oh, wait, some people actually *like* Notre Dame - I keep forgetting that.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

Hey, speaking of Cornhuskers...has anybody seen Tommy Lee goes to College at Nebraska? I hate to admit that I TIVO-ed it, but I haven't had time to watch it yet...I heard he's joining the marching band.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

It's pretty silly. That reality show sorta works when it;s a game, but without some sort of competition, well, TL's personaliy doesn't have much of a shelf life....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

Yeah, he actually seemed to be playing it more or less straight with the band. Apparently, the precision of a marching-band drumline is somewhat tougher to master than the 4/4 of "Girls, Girls, Girls." He actually had to work at it.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

The sequel will be: "Tommy Lee goes to state prison with the Nebraska football team".

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

He's already got the tattoos....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

I've been meaning to say this but keep forgetting to -- Gerald Hackney, the linebacker-sized QB, look for a huge year from him, and try and catch his act. Apparently he came in in great shape. This is Daunte Culpepper 2.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

OK, call me ingorant (no, go ahead, it's true), but who is Hackney playing for?

And with a last name like that, I hope he never submits a story to me . . . :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

UAB. He's got a phenomenal arm. I saw him throw an 80 yarder and connect on the dime wih his reciever. Plus he's a moose. Got those huge humped up dorsals like a wrestler.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

Just got this from an Oklahoma fan where I work (there are a few of them around here, and they are insufferable, but this was pretty funny):

On a Saturday afternoon in October, a guy walked into an Austin bar
    on Sixth Street with a Dachshund under his arm. The dog was wearing a
    burnt orange "LONGHORN" jersey, UT helmet, and was festooned with UT
    pompons.

The bartender said, "Hey! No pets are allowed in here! You'll have to
    leave."

The guy begged him," Look I am desperate. We are both big UT fans and
    my  TV is broken, and this is the only place around that we can see the
    Texas/OU game!"

After securing promise that the dog will behave, and warning him if
    there is any trouble the guy and the dog will be thrown out, the
    bartender relented and let them stay and watch the game.

The game began with TEXAS receiving the kickoff. The Longhorns
    marched down the field, but got stopped on the 30 yard line, and kicked
    a field goal.

With that the dog jumped up on the bar, and began walking up and down
    the bar giving high-fives to everyone and flashing the HOOK' EM sign
    with his paw.

The bartender said, "Wow! That's the most amazing thing I have ever
    seen! What does the dog do if Texas beats OU?"

The owner replied, "I don't know - I have only had him for five
    years."

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

I missed this earlier, but BYU landed a 2006 recruit at QB who some consider "the best in the west". His coach praises his accuracy ("it's amazing") and arm strength, and BYU wanted him before anyone else, apparently, and got him (well, at least a solid verbal). His name is James Lark, out of St. George, UT. Ready for some junior season stats? Brace yerself:

Yards: 4,000 (that's not a typo)
TD: 41

Unfortunately I don't have any attempts/completion or INT stats, but I suspect they're good. Oregon offered him, and it looks like USC was mighty interested.

So the raw talent is there to make BYU, again, Quarterback U. We'll see what happens with the coaching.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

My only response to the Longhorn joke is to quote the all-time series record:

55-39-5 Advantage, Longhorns.

This game has always been cyclical and it's time for a change.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

I get a bad feeling, Josh. UT is walking tall, and old Stoops is just keeping quiet and doing stuff....

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:04 am:   

Lucius: Saw this article today and thought I'd send it on for those of you who think your cogitating skills exceed the mystical prescience of my chicken.
http://sportsillustrated.netscape.cnn.com/ns/sports/storymain2.jsp?feature=sport s_storymain_1&letter=b&floc=sp-main-1-l1

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Jeff, well that's another typical preseason poll, safe and conservative. SC is bound to come in at nunber 1 -- they;re in a shitty conference and only have to play 1 game a year, their bowl game. As for the rest...the chicken could do as well.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

It's over! The NY Times, bible of football, has picked Mich vs Louisville in the NC game.

In the real world, two days till foo'ball!

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Wow. That has to be the worst prediction ever. I'm telling you, OSU vs USC.

Mich/Louisville? Do those NY Times guys even watch football? Maybe they got their notes mixed up . . . I think they actually meant the NC for Lacrosse or Curling . . . or something . . .

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

And they're a heavy component of the BCS...

I agree about OSU, unfortunately, SC plays in such a weak conference, they oughta be handicapped. They wouldn;t go undeated in the Big !O, ACC, or SEC....

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

They should have to play the BADgers to prove their mettle . . . :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

Yeah, the BADgers would take 'em!

Four days to Hurricane Omar.....

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

I'm hunkered down. I'm hoping our secondary is too!

Four days to tidle-wave Calhoun . . .

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Should be good. You going to the game?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

Four days 'till the Horns host the Ragin' Cajuns.

Whoo hoo!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   

Six days till another WIDE RIGHT classic between Miami and Free Shoes University.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

From an email I just received from one of my Bama Fan cousins...I especially like #5. And this series of jokes is a good indicator of who Bama fans *really* hate now in the SEC...

(1) What does the average Auburn player get on his SATs?
Drool.

(2) What do you get when you put 32 Arkansas cheerleaders in one room?
A full set of teeth.

3) How do you get a South Carolina cheerleader into your dorm room?
Grease her hips and push.

(4) How do you get a Georgia graduate off your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

(5) How do you know if a Mississippi State football player has a girlfriend?
There is tobacco spit on both sides of his pickup

(6) Why is the Kentucky football team like a possum?
Because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

(7) What are the longest three y ears of an Auburn football player's life?
His freshman year.

(8) How many Ole Miss freshmen does it take to change a light bulb?
None. That's a sophomore course.

AND FINALLY (drum roll and cymbal crash.....)

(9) Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color?
You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   

They don't hate the Gators? Well, we'll see what we can do about that.

Game I'd like to see on Saturday would be UAB-Tennessee. I'd like to see what Hackney does against their pass D. But Ga-Boise State will have to do.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 06:31 pm:   

What about Bama-MTSU?

It's going to be a drag playin the Gators twice this year, but if that's what they gotta do...

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   

The cheapest tix I've seen for the BGSU/BADgers game were 60 bucks a piece. So, no, I'm not going. Mich/Wisc tickets are selling for $300 a shot right now.

Oh, and the BADgers will be playing in retro uniforms their first game, to celebrate BADger history (why you'd want to go back there is beyond me, but I guess you've got to believe in something, even if it is revisionist history).

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   

Well, you see the game better on tv anyhow.
Actually, you'd think it would cost less to see t he Mich game. :-)

If they lose to BG, they have something to blame it on.....

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:51 am:   

Blame it on the old losing uniforms, sez I! :-)

GA-Boise State might be a close one. I wish it was showing up here. Oh well. And Pitt-ND, for that matter. I guess you can't have it all . . .

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

You aren't getting Pitt-ND? I thought it was a national game...should be on ABC.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

It's a split national gane and I'm not sure whether we get it.

Alabama=MTSU? That's gonne be a stomp. I really like this UAB qb, and I want to see him every time I get a chance.

Playing the Gators twice? What a fate! :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

Our local ABC station is listing Pitt-ND or Texas A&M-Clemson. If they show the latter...well...that would just be silly. I'll get it via the miracle of DirecTV and ESPN GamePlan, but I just hate the thought that some of you might miss out!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:35 am:   

Some of us might miss out anyway---if Pitt doesn't do its job and the Irish start smiting them, I'm going out...The idea of an Irish resurgence nauseates me...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

Texas A&M vs. Clemson -- my team's archrival vs. a Bowden. I'll root for Clemson, but it's a close call.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Yeah, I have to look away from that one myself...I hold the Bama grudge against Franchione.

Pitt will do their best to not get smited, but I'm too smart to make any promises...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

I know they will, but I swear it's a towel game for me, perhaps even a shut off the TV game, if the Panthers start losing....

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Well, I'll keep watching no matter what, but I'll also keep the Tums nearby.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

Better keep a towel handy as well. Tums are good, though.

minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

NAH. Get your inner GRRRRRRRRR going. The Best of the Least is gonna take down those fargin irish. PANTHER POWER, SHOUT IT LOUDER!!!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

Is there going to be a telecast of Va Tech-NC State? That could be a good game.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

Okay...GRRRRR!

But just the same, my son says I can use his wooby (that's blanket for those of you who are far from children) to cover my eyes if things go Horribly Awry.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

And remember, everyone:

What do you get when you operate a motor vehicle too slowly down Main Street in Blacksburg?

A diploma.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:39 am:   

You think NC State is going to be that good this year, Lucius? I thought they would last year, and they pretty much collapsed. Well, at least they didn't meet or exceed my high expectations.

Deborah, you should buy a box of Lucky Charms (tm), a pair of scissors, and a lighter. Just give that leprauchan what for whenever you feel the need . . .

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Dave, how do you know? ;)

Seriously, NCState could pull the upset.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

They have, arguably, the best front four in the nation. They could put a lot of pressure on young Vick. Gameplan sucks. They don't show half the good match-ups/

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

Forrest, you're a genius! I love it...

"I got yer green clovers, right here, you little freak! Take that!"

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

I go through more boxes of cereal that way . . . :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:04 am:   

So the fun starts TONIGHT! Anyone watching any games?

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

Well, I will admit this...I was looking at the TV listings and thinking, "Okay, I can turn on Oregon-Houston at 4:00 and then at 4:30 I can begin switching over to SC-UCF, then at 7 there's Minnesota-Tulsa..." And I was kind of excited about this.

Er...that doesn't make me pathetic, right? Right.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

rrrriiiiight . . . not pathetic . . . yeah . . . :-)

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:44 am:   

Unfortunately I won't get to see any games tonight, so I'm counting on you, Deborah, to tell me how terrifying the Golden Gophers look. I'm expecting the BADgers to lose to them, it's a question of how bad.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Whew. Thanks, Forrest. What a relief...now I'm not watching Minnesota-Tulsa because I'm pathetic, I'm scouting the Gophers for the BADger fans. That sounds much better.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

I'm sticking with Cowboys preseason tonight, but I'm eagerly awaiting the Horns game on Sat.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   

Texas might want to throw in their waterboys and cheerleaders just to save the starters any un-necessary injuries. It'll still be a blowout.

Next week, however . . .

And thanks, Deborah. MN might fly underneath everyone's radar. They've got a fantastic OL and their running game is going to be scary good.

JV
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

Tonight, Steve Spurrier makes his soon-to-be-historic run at the National Championship using nothing more talented than an inexperienced quarterback and the best talent South Carolina has to offer. This will be written up in the annals of college football as the very definition of the Cinderella Season. Spurrier's legendary play-calling skills, honed while daydreaming in the NFL, will be plunged deep, like the white hot thrust of Damascus steel, into the hearts of his opponents. Halleluhah.

That is all. Go back to what you were doing. Go on.

JeffV

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

Well...as he pointed out...it is the Year of the Rooster...of course what he needs is the Year of the Felon.

As for MN, Forrest, you're right about their running game. But they let Bama (the team with no offense) score 16 points and nearly beat them in their bowl game at the end of last year. I don't think Tulsa will test the defense (is that an understatement?), but the D is the big question mark.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 05:48 am:   

So, scout, what did you find out? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 06:18 am:   

That you can't do a Sam "Bam" Cunningham dive into the end zone from three yards out. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 06:50 am:   

I posted this is the new "Week 1" thread...at the end of the first quarter when Maroney already had 159 yards rushing and MN was up 17-0 I had to avert my eyes...my advice is to concentrate on your run defense.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register