Tom Waits Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Tom Waits « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dwayne
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   

Lucius,

I'm curius what you think about Tom Waits? I think he writes some wicked cool shit. I've really been into his stuff lately, just curious what you think.
Dwayne

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:56 pm:   

Personal favorite? Nighthawks at the Diner.

Not that I'm very familiar with TW. I do like that album, though. I also liked him as Renfield in Coppola's travesty...way over the top.

Welcome back, Dwayne.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

Hey, Dwayne....

I like that album, can't recall the name, with Small Change Got Rained On With His 38, and Downtown Train, which I do a killer rendition of...:-) I also liked Nighthawks, esp Freeway Flying. I liked almost everything up to and including Frank's Wild Years, but after that, I sorta fell away from him. As an actor I prefer him in the Jarmusch flick Down By Law. He was writing some music to go with this film about hobos this friend of mine was making, and I heard some of it. Great stuff that's still not on CD.....

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   

i thought the last album, REAL GONE, is pretty good. but it's of that later sound that he got going with BONE MACHINE and MULE VARIATIONS, which i also dig.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   

Just saw Tom Waits in FISHING WITH JOHN - a fishing show hosted by John Lurie (Lounge Lizards), who takes non-fishermen celebrities on fishing trips to exotic (and dangerous!) locals. Tom and John go to Jamaica for red snapper. It’s pretty cool because Waits starts off being really condescending towards the local people, asking if they’ve ever seen any wall-eyed pike or chicken fish, and then gets sick as a dog once he’s out in the boat.

FWJ is from ‘92. Lurie wrote, directed and scored the show. Other episode include: shark fishing with Jim Jarmusch, ice-fishing with Willem Dafoe, and searching for the elusive giant squid with Dennis Hopper.

RE: Waits’s music. Post-FWY, I like MULE VARIATIONS.

Stephen
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 01:20 am:   

Tom Waits is hilarious. Especially on certain psychedelics or when hung over.

I liked Down By Law.

Anyone seen Broken Flowers? I've heard good things.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:39 am:   

I saw a couple of episodes of the Lurie series, inclluding the Dennis Hopper and one in Thailand...pretty cool.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:05 am:   

You can get all six episodes on a single disc from Criterion.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

Lucius---

"Small Change" is on the album Small Change. "Downtown Train" is on Rain Dogs. Maybe they're both on a compilation album?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

Yep, that must be t he one I got, Thanks Gordon, Although I do have Rain Dogs separately.

Stephen
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

Lurie series?

Stephen
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

Oh, okay, Rich explains..

Stephen
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

I was a wee bit hazy, last night.:-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   

there's a complimation called BEAUTIFUL MALADIES, which covers the years he was with the island label or some such thing. might be that.

Dwayne
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   

I have to admit I like his more recent, or at least since BONE MACHINE. BONE MACHINE and MULE VARIATIONS are my favorites. The oldie I like is 16 Shells from a 306, don't know what the fuck it's about, but I like it. I'd like to check out that fishing show some time. That doesn't suprise me I guess that Tom is a smart ass.
Dwayne

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   

You can get Fishing with John on DVD. It's probably rentable and, if not , you can find it on AMAZON and EBAY....

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

I saw Waits on his Burma Shave tour...I think he played with Leon Redbone. This must have been around 1979. He sang leaning against an old gas pump. It was pretty cool but I never did follow him faithfully. Recently someone played me a bootleg of his Alice in Wonderland musical and there was some amazing stuff on there. Probably my favorite of anything I've heard of his.

Just heard something that I thought was Waits at first, but turned out to be the Tuvan punk Yat-Kha doing "When the Levee Breaks" on an import album of Tuva-fied covers of various artists (I think it's called Recovers).

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 08:07 pm:   

I heard another album by Yat-kha a couple, three years ago. Interesting, but a little went a long way.

Just bought a Crash Worship remastered album--it doesn't quite get how wild their shows were, but it's worth it. Aesasinos.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

BTW, I just got the Tom Tribute, and it's mmm good. Includes a song by my favorite rock blond, Sally Norvell, late of Congo Norvell, the group featuring Kid Congo Powers of the Gun Club.

rwexler
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

And here's a bit of Sally Norvell trivia. When I was in college she was in an Austin band called the Gator Family. I only saw them once, and they were pretty good. Here's a link to their one and only record:

http://www.vtmusic.co.uk/shop/item/671375273194535.aspx

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register