Newest Pro Football Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Newest Pro Football « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

By RaiderJenni on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

"Get a defense...." good answer, Lucius. Every year, that's my hope. At least Woodson doesn't seem to be playing the prima donna (so far). Unlike a certain Eagles WR. (Although I don't wish injury on anybody.)

I'm also hoping the Raiders will have a running game this year. And that Collins will stop throwing more interceptions than completions. And....
By Lucius on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:20 pm:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Well, if the switch to the three-four goes well, maybe they'll improve on D.

As to a running game, I don't know. These back-up RBs that get thrust into starting jobs, they don't generally have a good history -- see Troy Hambrick, etc. But who knows, Jordan might come through. I see the Raiders making the playoffs and going out early.
By RaiderJenni on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:07 pm:

They didn't get the three-four last year, maybe it'll sink in this year. And if they would lose the pre-vent defense -- it only prevents them from winning.

Jordan's supposed to be a winner; and my man Zack Crockett is expected to see action and get those short yardage downs (and TDs).

Who's your big money on this year? Another Pats repeat? I'd like to see the Colts get there. It's their turn. I'm a major McNair fan, and would love to see him go, but I don't think he has the team to take him this year. (My football fantasy: trade Collins for McNair, and he and the Raiders go.... :-)
By Lucius on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:13 pm:

Well, being a Fla boy, I hate all things Manning, so I like the Pats, the Jets, or the Ravens, and I'm looking at the Vikings and the Panthers. I really defense, so I'm going with the Raven over the Vikes....What the hell. My fantasy--Browns win, Browns win.
By Lucius on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 06:57 am:

Erasmus James signed with the Vikes, a seven year deal.....'

Another BADger that got away....
By Rick Hauptmann on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:05 am:

The Bears were offensive last night!
By Lucius on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:37 am:

As were the 'fins. At least the Bears scored once when it counted.
By Minz on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:20 pm:

Report from the front: not that the starters are all that, but the backups on the Packers D would have a hard time performing against topnotch Div 1 offenses. Embarassing.

Rodgers was up-and-down, which is to be expected. Actually, his biggest problems were dropped balls and absolutely no protection up front. Definitely lacking depth on the OL (though Buffalo did throw a shitload of blitzes at him--17 of 21 dropbacks--and of course, we didn't gameplan at all, so i'm not worried about that...at least not yet.)

Surprises:
Mike Hawkins, 5th round pick who only played five games for OK before walking out because of coaches, can flatout play. 6'1", legit 4.3 speed. He's raw, but he's got game. He'll be a starter before the end of the season, and if he has any kind of a learning curve, he could be THE STEAL of the draft. (Yes, I'm a homer, but he's got the whole friggin package physically. Real deal all the way. Of course, he's a potential headcase washout, but someone worth watching.)

Nick Collins was promoted to starting FS!! Huh? The guy absolutely stunk at the scrimmage, especially during drills, where in seven-on-seven, he was burned five of six straight plays (they didn't throw at him on one of the plays--not that he had the TE covered, but the QB just didn't see it). But he's young, and has a lot to learn. Maybe the coaches are seeing something I'm missing. But man, he looked BAAAD at the scrimmage. I'm not writing him off yet--there's still five weeks for this kid to get up to speed, but I'm officially worried at the moment.

Coleman Coles, DT. Kid was all over the field. He looks like a comer. But he could just've been the beneficiary of uninterested vet OL. It was just a scrimmage, and in the trenches, you just don't know what you've got until the bullets start flying.
By Lucius on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

San Diego-GB on Thurs. Any game could be Farve's last. Go bolts!
By Minz on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:26 pm:

Can you feel the love tonight...
By Lucius on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:43 pm:

U betcha!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

Worst first round draft pick? Gotta be Pacman jones. Aside from holding out and being a short DB, he was recently involved in a criminal incident, and has been challenging his new teammates in absentia, demanding that they call him Pacman....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

Just got my Pro Football Prospectus. They predict a big decline in Saint Brett's performance and suggest he's due for a major injury. Where have i heard that before. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:33 am:   

Anybody who takes a Mountaineer in the first round is asking for it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

You betcha! Stil, better that than a golden domer. :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/07/29/diary.july29/inde x.html

Best fans in the world.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Peter King! Chrst! That's like citing Dick Clark on rock and roll. "Uh, 'Little Deuce Coupe' is a fine testmanent to Caucasian soul...yes. I've been here almost an entire century. What was the question...?"

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   

TO has walked out of camp after having words with Reid :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   

Apparently the Eagles called a team meeting about TO, interrupting practise to do so, and he walked out in the midst of it.

minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

King was merely the observer. The point being is that Packer fans are hardcore enough that 12-year-old fans track down a PR guy in order to round out there autograph collection. (As opposed to, oh, I dunno, Cowboy "fans" who show up for football games in full-length fur coats. In August. And probably think a tight end is what their sugar daddies expect them to maintain at all times or else they get the boot.)

As for T.O.: priceless.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

Those cowboy fannies sound like fun.

Those packer fans sound like Norman Rockwell on Mandrax. :-)

Priceless is right.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

I believe that TO has five days to get his butt back there otherwise the Iggles can place him on the Did-Not-Report/Retired list, at which point they owe him nothing for the season, and he can't do a thing about it. Let's hope this spat lasts at least a week.

I don't know if TO's "injury" factors into the whole five-day thing or not. And I'm not certain what that'd mean in terms of the cap situation--maybe the Iggles couldn't afford to have him "retire".

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   

One way or another, it great news for humankind....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   

Mmmmmmmm.....Eagle despair.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   

Yum. Tasty.

They don't even have Todd Pinkston

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

Now they're saying Reid suspended him....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

One rumor--TO to Dallas. Can you imagine it? The man who trashed the star? I don't see it for a lot of reasons, but the idea of Keyshon and TO on the same team....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   

Maybe they can bring Irvin in as receivers coach...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:53 pm:   

Josh, any comment on Cedric Benson? IMO, he could have been rookie of the year in Chicago. Right guy, right time. But now...I hear the talks are absolutely dead.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

I haven't heard anything in Austin about the Cedric situation, which suprises me. I agree that Chi was a perfect fit and holding out in his case is bad for all sides.

As for the TO to Dallas rumors....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not even if he was the last piece for a SuperBowl run. The star thing aside, the guy is going to create havoc anywhere he lands.

There was a radio interview this morning with a Pilly sports reporter, and apparently TO's Eagle teamates hate him. Word is, Hugh Douglas tried to extend the hand of friendship and TO blew him off. Teamates had to physically restrain Douglas from going after the jackass.

People like to knock Irvin for his off-field antics, but at least he was a team guy. TO doesn't give a shit about anything but TO. Dallas doesn't need that kind of influence tainting our young team.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

Are you sure? :-)
I mean, that way he could rip off his helmet and do his little star dance anywhere, any time.

Parcells would never take him. Never.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

Well, the word is. he's going somewhere and that Parcels has enough of an ego to deal with him. But I'm with you, Josh. And to lesser extent, with you, Minz, :-)

Tuning in tonight to watch the first episode in the Death of Farve.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 08:42 am:   

Now that Braylon Edwards is signed, maybe Cedric will smarten up.

Latest on TO, eagles will wait til next week. If TO doesn't shape up, they'll release him. IMO, TO knows his trade value is nil, he'll shape up, but sooner or later something's gonna happen again....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   

Gerald Warren is playing out of this world in Denver, apparently. Shanahan claims he's unblockable. if true...Hey, Gerald. Thanks.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:23 pm:   

The TO incident began when he told his OC he didn't want the OC talking to him.

The relationship between Farve and Rodgers is not good. Farve says it's not his responsibility to mentor Rodgers. It's amazing. I wacthed two announcers falling over themselves seeking to put a noble spin on his remarks. Imagine if anyone else had said them.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   

I keep hearing that Julius Jones is looking even better in camp than he did last year. Not only does he have the same moves and power, but now he's got a bit of swagger. Barring injury, he's going to have a monster year.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

Sounds like Brett and T-Hole are psychologically imploding.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   

True. :-)

Go Julius Go

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   

TO was just on an afternoon ESPN show with Rosehaus, and was throroughly unrepentant. I'm thinking the Iggles suspend his ass. And don't know if that;s a good thing. It's the sort of thing leads to collusion, blacklisting, etc.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   

Classic example of why it's gonna be curtains for the Pack this year. Drew Brees plays a quarter and out. Farve plays half the second qtr against the SD reserves. The only reason he's in there, enthused Joe Theisman, is because he wants to be. Joe was right. This season's all about BFarve. He doesn't care if he risks a season-ending injury in a meaningless game, just so long as he throws for a TD. He's the white man's TO, getting approbation for the same sort of behavior that brings TO jeers. DIsgusting, self-serving, ignorant.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   

He's the white man's TO. :-) Priceless.

Brett has always been ultracompetitive, and has always hated being pulled out of any game, even preseason ones. Sure, it'd be smarter not to risk injury in a meaningless game, but I'll take a gamer everytime. He's selfish about winning. Not exactly the same sort of behavior as TO.

Hell, when Sharper stuck his nose in about Brett and Javon, it made me want to puke. Favre took a PAY CUT so that the Packers would have the money to sign Sharper (back in 01). Volunteered to do it. The Packers never asked. Not exactly TO behavior. This has got to be your biggest stretch yet, Lucius.

And I think it's going to be a nauseatingly long Favre lovefest this season. I hope you survive... Maybe we all should start stockpiling airsickness bags for you, so you won't be forced to run to the bathroom quite so much on Sundays!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:15 pm:   

Given the state of your running game (not good), luckily, as far as BF is concerned, it's probably gonna be a short season.

I sure stories of Farve's nobility abound in the deprived environs of the enchanted kingdom of GB, how he bound a little squirrel's broken leg with a strtp of skin from his finger, gave mouth to mouth to a half-drowned prostitute, but the fact is he's still a major asshole....

It's comin', Minz.... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

Everytime T-Hole finds himself at a new low, he goes right on digging. It will be fascinating to see where this all bottoms out.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

I think both side are wriong in this. Ok, the Eagles are supposedly the adults in this sich, they knew what they were getting in TO, and they have not handled it well. Granted, TO is juvenile asshole, but the eagle's really needed to reward him. Where will it end? He'll be suspended wednesday or else he'll be resinstated and have a mid-season meltdown and be suspended. It's not going to have a good result.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

Au contraire, I think it will be a freakin' excellent result! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

I think they will have to lock T.O. in the Eagles In-House Correctional Facility for his own protection!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Cowboys preseason game tommorrow night!

They'll play a 3/4 base defense for the first time in franchise history. Should be interesting. It'll be on regional TV, so I'll be watching.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

This only gets sweeter...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-owens&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Saw it on TV....

beyootiful!

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   

But I thought Donovan was quite clear in his criticism of Favre in that a player should stay out of another player's business. Hmmm, sounds like TO might actually be right; maybe Donovan's the hypocrite. It wasn't TO that made Donovan's brother reach out. So he shouldn't be telling TO to leave his family out of it, he should be telling his family to stay out of TO's business.

I'll take dumb but honest over lying hypocrite every time.

But regardless, a wonderful, entertaining drama playing out before our very eyes. Just the kind of story that makes your heart all warm and mushy.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   

You're just too caught up because McNabb insulted Brett "The Living Tragedy" Farve....

Just sit back and enjoy!

Y'know, I think I like The White Man's TO" better...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   

Watched Vikes-Chiefs. Vikes D looked good against the KC offemse, but of note to BADger people, Erasmus James looked really good...

Minz
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 01:21 pm:   

Hey Lucius:

Able to leap defensive linemen in a single bound,
he throws footballs faster than a speeding bullet, he's...
CAPTAIN FAVRELOUS

Check it out...if you dare.
http://www.packersnews.com/topics/favrelous/index.shtml

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

I was just talking with a friend of mine, a fellow Farve-hater, and we decided Farve was a mean-spirited redneck who deserved maybe one of his MVPs, but was certainly no Elway, No Marino, no Aickman or Young. He had a great arm, a HOF arm, but his brain was strictly scrub material, and everything he gained with his arm he'd give back via interceptions. The largest comeback he ever engineered was 14 points, which says to me if you got him down he started slinging INTs.

I think that's fair.

As for Captain Farvelous, fodder for brain-dead cheese-eaters. It would probably give Brett hours of amusement. The Brockington Era lies straight ahead.

barth
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   

Craptain Favrelicious, or whatever, has the distinct ring of whistling in the dark. If they believed Favre were truly poised for even a decent last season, Packers News wouldn’t be demeaning their late-great MVP by turning him into a cartoon of himself. I mean, shit, that’s MY job.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   

'd like to see him try leaping some defensive linemen this year. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 06:24 am:   

So...the Cowboys stunk it up against the Cards. Of course, the Cards being Deborah's TEAM OF DESTINY and all, that's to be expected.

The first team offense was horrible, the offensive line was worse than horrible the entire night, and Kurt Warner shredded our secondary. That being said, apparently Parcells was determined to get work in the 3/4 to gauge their progress, so he was running it during plays where he would normally run a nickel defense. Shows you how much preseason means...

Bright spots included:
- Both backup QBs looked solid
- Tyson Thompson (Rookie RB) ran all over the Card's scrubs in the fourth quarter. The kid is fast and fighting for a roster spot. He'll be hard to cut.
- The punting was steller, perhaps due to all the practice

Lot of work left to be done.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

That's T eam of the Future, Josh. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

I stand corrected.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   

So I've started a Fantasy Football league with the aim of inviting other spec-fic writing/editing types. Anyone here interested? If so, let me know and I'll send along the info you need to join.

Of course, if you're afraid of going up against my Mighty Jackalopes, I understand...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   

Fantasy football, in my view, is a bight on the sport. It's for people who're afraid to bet.....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

Hey, I'm in a money league too. This one's just for fun. ;p

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 06:58 am:   

Well, I like to watch the games, maybe with a little something on 'em, but I don't want to be thinking about wether a QB i hate is throwing enough tds or some TO is catching enough passes. That's just a sickness, IMO. :-)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

Lucius and I are in wholesale agreement on this one. (Though maybe I wouldn't call it a blight, merely pap for the masses that leads to glorification of the individual player over loyalty to a team. Okay, maybe blight is the right word...)

Bottom line is that I can't stand divided loyalties, and am not interested in hamstringing my efforts in the league by going only with players I like. If you're not competing to win, why bother competing?

minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

Oh, and Josh, I believe Klima has already started a Fantasy league. You may want to check previous posts.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

Solidarity forever, Minz. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

Yeah I have. Josh, we still need some people to join if you're interested.

JK

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

Yeah, I'm interested. Send me the league info to fendertwin at yahoo.com. Thanks for the invitation.

minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

oh, and Josh, I look forward to mocking the 'boys in person this weekend in Austin. Don't worry, you'll have Picacio for backup.

Maybe we could get really ripped Sat night, drive up to Dallas, and I could give my TO impersonation on the Star...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

Maybe you can introduce Minz to the Farve cocktail. Melt three Vicotin in a glass of booze (don't matter what kind), add a donkey fart, and watch him throw it up fer grabs....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

Hey, JK...

Gonna send me that EV?

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

Yeah, I need an address for you though.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   

You got it.

Thanks...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   

Kurt Warner is foursquare for Jesus, but those are some rotten unis!

God damn! They are ugh-lee!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

"Can Donovan McNabb put up big fantasy numbers without TO?"

See? Gah!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   

I'm beginning to believe in the Cards. I know I believe in Antrej Rolle -- he had a great game this weekend (just watched the replay). As did the front four, notably Darnell Dockett, who wore out Larry Allen -- Allen isn't what he used to be, but he's still pretty good. With Dockett, Bertand Berry, Carlos Dansby, Rolle, etc, they've got a young, hard-hitting defense. Big test this weekend, though --KC.

That said, the NFC is as week as it;s been in years. You've got two, maybe three SB contenders. Eagles, Vikes, Panthers maybe, and nothing else. Maybe Detroit and AZ take big steps. But there's no comparionson to the AFC which has seven or eight contenders, maybe more.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 04:25 am:   

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_22224702.shtml

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 04:38 am:   

Please! Stop it! I'm laughing too hard!

Earl
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 04:58 am:   

Lucius, you are evil! I have personally borne witness to Brett's goodness. Just last fall, in tne midst of all his great trials, he stopped in to our little town of Heimlich, Wisconsin, and though only there for a few minutes, while his cousin passed water in the AMPM, he took time out of his busy schedule to sign autographs, to heal a sick child (little Mimsy Spatten, who was sick unto death with the ) with the laying on of hands, and to persuade a troubled teen to shun the love that dare not speak its name and return to the natural world in which a boy and girl, both smelling of Irish spring, stroll hand-in-hand under the hererosexual rays of the sun. In his footprint, preserved for all time in the muddy ground behind Mercer's Tavern, where he paused for a few beverages, daisies have since sprung up and the pattern they make spells out the words Satan Is Real. The effect his Grace has had on our town cannot be underestimated. He is truly a Prince of Pigskin Peace. You need to stop your slander or you will know the wrath of his true believers ere long.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 05:17 am:   

I think this "news" article needs to be memorialized here. Thanks so much, Minz, for this ammo. :-)

Posted Aug. 17, 2005

Rodgers: Favre is an awesome teammate

Starting quarterback Brett Favre, left, has been above and beyond what I expected from him, says backup and first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers. Corey Wilson/PackersNews.com

Posted Aug. 17, 2005

Rookie disputes criticism of Favre, says veteran is happy to help

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

As a rookie, Aaron Rodgers is in the rare and enviable situation of being able to learn from a future Hall of Famer.

So when Rodgers watches Brett Favre in training camp and has a question, hes more than willing to ask it.

And Favre is more than happy to answer.

In a recent ESPN interview, Favre said he wasnt being paid to coach and that its not in his contract to teach Rodgers. As a result of those comments, Favre has received criticism from the national media for a perceived unwillingness to help the player who could be the Packers quarterback of the future.

I heard about it from a couple different people, and I saw one thing where someone called him a hypocrite, Rodgers said. Its ludicrous and its a disservice to Brett.

Rodgers said any criticism of Favre is unwarranted.

Im probably offended as much as he is by the stuff I see in the media about him, Rodgers said. Not only is he one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, but hes an awesome teammate.

Training camp has been a learning experience for Rodgers, and he said Favre has been helpful to him throughout camp.

Hes helped me out whenever Ive had questions. Hes answered every question from me, Rodgers said. Hes been above and beyond what I expected from him.

When Rodgers arrived in Green Bay, he said he never had the expectation that Favre would pull him aside, teach him the ins and outs of being an NFL quarterback and groom him to be his replacement. Rodgers said he just wanted to be treated like any other player on the team.

I came in not wanting any extra attention or any special privileges, Rodgers said. Im just one of the guys. I dont feel like Favre needs to treat me any differently that he does Craig Nall or J.T. OSullivan.

Rodgers said when he has a question, hes more than willing to ask Favre.

Ill ask about certain plays, Rodgers said. Ill be watching him in practice, and after he makes a throw, Ill come back and ask him about his decision-making process what hes thinking about when hes dropping back, what he saw on the play. Hes answered every question from me.

Since Favre was traded to the Packers in 1992, he has dealt with more than his share of talented backups, including Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Ty Detmer and Mark Brunell, who all went on to become starters elsewhere. But during that time, Favre has never had to deal with a player who is expected to be his replacement.

Favre said all of his early impressions of Rodgers are positive.

Aaron hasnt played a whole lot aside from practice, but hes picked it up well, Favre said. Hes very talented, but you would expect that given that hes a first-round pick. Hes everything they thought he would be.

Many first-round picks would come in with the immediate itch to play, but Rodgers has enough respect for Favre that he understands his place on this team is as a backup until Favre retires. Rodgers also said he understands how lucky he is to have the chance to learn from one of the best quarterbacks to play the game.

Im coming in. Bretts the guy and Im going to learn from him by watching him, Rodgers said. If Ive got any questions, Im comfortable asking him.

When asked about the ESPN interview that caused the criticism, Rodgers said hes unable to see what the big deal is.

From the beginning when I got here, I said, Brett doesnt owe me anything. He doesnt need to take me under his wing. Ill watch and learn from him. Ive got a quarterbacks coach already, Rodgers said. Brett said on TV, its not in his contract to teach me. I feel the exact same way. I have a quarterbacks coach. If I have any questions, I can ask him. If I want to ask Brett a question I have no problem doing that and he has no problem answering my questions.

While Favre and Rodgers appear to have a decent working relationship, Rodgers said he hopes the relationship will grow.

Hopefully, by the end of the season well be really good friends, Rodgers said. Right now, hes just been a phenomenal teammate.

Rodgers said for anyone to suggest otherwise is absurd.

People outside of this team just dont understand, Rodgers said. They have no idea whats going on with this team.

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton.

Oh, yeah. The Post-Crescent of Appleton. That would be the NY Times of WIsc,

barth
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 05:30 am:   

"I'll ask him about his shoelaces, his chin strap, his jock strap, and he tells me. He doesn't even have to pay attention to me, because I'm clearly just brown-nosing. But he's one of the greatest, so he lets me kiss ass whenever I like! Golly gosh, what a guy!" [breaks into song]

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 05:31 am:   

You know, every time I'm feeling down, I'm going to look at that article, 'cause it surely brings a smile to my face. Lines like: Ill ask about certain plays, Rodgers said. Ill be watching him in practice, and after he makes a throw, Ill come back and ask him about his decision-making process what hes thinking about when hes dropping back..."

"I's thinking about my sensitive teeth."

What a learning experience!

Keep it comin', Minz. Like Aaron says, Hopefully, by the end of the season well be really good friends.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

Hi, Lucius, I wanted to give you a call to follow up on our recent conversation, but I don't have your number. Just want to check in and see how you're coming along. (Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with football, gang. . . Governor Blanco recently told the Saints they have to wean themselves off financial bribes from the state. . . that should happen about the same time the Saints win their first S.B., I'd estimate.)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

Minz -- I'm just hoping you don't burst into flames when your plane touches down in Cowboy Country.

Once John P and I get you strapped into a chair Clockwork Orage style and force you to watch scenes of Deion dancing and Irvin strutting around in his fur coat, you'll surely see the light. It's in the water down here. I predict you'll trade in your cheese head for a ten gallon hat from the airport gift shop on your way out of town.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:29 am:   

"I could give my TO impersonation on the Star..."

What do you mean, stand around refusing to dance on it until I meet your unreasonable salary demands?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:35 am:   

Did you see, Josh, Deieon has three sacks already in the pre-season...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:56 am:   

Andy, I tried to call, bu t got some lady who said you were out of the office...

I'm doing allright. Fingers crossed.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

You'll note I merely posted the article without comment. I knew y'all would enjoy it.

For all my homerism, you know I love to feed you guys the goodstuff.

I know return you to your complete NFL coverage: All TO, all the time.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Uh-oh. Can you say "avascular necrosis?"
By the end of the season, you will...

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/aug05/348858.asp

You know the media are going to be all over this, adding to the "Legend of Brett."

And while it may generate enough sacharin to gag even me, at least I'll get to enjoy all of you playa hata's suffering...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Bullshit!

I don't care if Brett dies, let me have for three or four years before he's a cripple.

Right. A GM's gonna say that.

Barth
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

More importantly: Free brats at Bob Tolkan's!

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

Lucius, you're a Browns fan. Did you watch any of Browns-Jints? If so, did Jared Lorensen do anything?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

I watched some of it early. Is Lorenzen even on the team. The Giants are talking about signing Tim Couch...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

JLo is still fighting for the backup job, although rumor has it that his practices have been shaky and he is on thin ice.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

I think couch will go to the 'fins -- there he has a chance to start.

Barth
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   

I love it: Chicago playing hard ball with Benson. He knows they need him now more than ever - why *not* hold out?

Another year in the rat cellar where the Bores belong.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   

Now, don't you have a soft spot for the bears and that ol 46? Save your loathing for the clownish Packers and their dumbass fudboy Farve...

Barth
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

I have enough loathing to spread around, man. The Bears/Packer match-up, for example, is a fave since one has to lose.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

Hate away.....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

I've seen the Browns t wice now and I'm impresed. They may not win many games in their division, but they're going to compete, they're playing for Crennel. Charlie Frye has been impressive. Dilfer's line against the Lions was 9-13 136 yards. I TD, no INT. When the first string was in they dominated. Antonio Bryant looks great, had a 51 yard TD against the lions. Harrington completed a lot of passes but for only 46 yards. The running game looks good, esp Green, and the defense is playing tough, surprisingly good in the secondary. Josh Cribs, the former Kent State QB, looks like a really good return guy. Paul Irons is developing into a strong TE, with good, and Braylon Edwards is the real deal. He won the game againts the Lions by making a great catch on a fade route from Frye on fourth down with 50 seconds left. Fr ye is mobile and creative at the QB position, It's gonna take a couple of years, but the players love Crennel and I think they're gonna get there.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Cowboy preseason game tonight on ABC!

All the cool kids are going to be watching.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:34 am:   

Six of one, half a dozen of the other--they're playing the Seahawks.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:31 am:   

Hey Lucius, what's going on the Browns at RB? Is Droughns going to compete, or is he just insurance for Green?

JK

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Droughins has not been as impressive as Green or Suggs thusfar. He's had difficulty learning the offense, which is new to him--but it's new to Green and Suggs as well. I think he'll come around, but RB is one of the few places they don't need help, that they're actually in good shape, so I'm not worried.

Looks like Smith is having a rough time adjusting to the NFL defenses and Rattay may be the 49er QB after all....

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

I'm happy to hear that Lucius has good things to say about the '05 edition of the Browns. I'll have to try to catch some of their games this year, if I can steal the TV away from Levi and his Rubbadubbers and Wiggles. Josh, it was a blast meeting you in person at ArmadilloCon this weekend. Josh and I ended up sitting next to each other in the hotel bar and I looked at his nametag and said, "Josh Roundtree, Josh Roundtree, WHERE do I KNOW that NAME from???" And he said, "Lucius's football board on Night Shade." And I said, "OHHHHH, YEAH. . . I read your name at least a dozen times a week!"

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

I'm not exactly predicting a SB victory for the Brownies, just a good effort. I still think they get a top five draft pick.....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

Good to meet you there too. And glad to know I'm infamous, if not famous.

Any interested parties (read: LS & JP) should check out Peter King's new column. I know, it's Peter King...but it has a nice overview of where the Cowboys are in training camp. Pretty much a summary of what I've read over the past two weeks. The good and the bad...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/22/mmqb/index.html

Duh. Here's the link.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:00 am:   

Ware was amazing last night, Jones was very good, Bledsoe...uh, I'm not too sure. Henson? Oh my god! Did anybody get the message Parcells sent by having Henson run out the clock at the end of the first half. I get a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Tony Romo this year.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:04 am:   

Yep. Word is, everyone (read: Jones) loves Henson except for Parcells. I have to admit, Romo has played much better in the preseason than his counterpart. Romo just seems more relaxed, like he's out there having fun, while Henson seems stiff and nervous.

Bledsoe is making me nervous too...

Although, Patrick Clayton, who's going to be our #3 WR most likely, caught a lot of tough passes. He's one to keep your eye on.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

Yeah, I liked Clayton. But you got to believe Bledsoe's a serious injury waiting to happen.

Laird
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:13 am:   

Here's the play-by-play you will soon hear:

"Incomplete pass will bring on the punting unit. Uh-oh, John. Bledsoe's down...and he's not getting up..."

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

Yup! Exactly! "Looks like Romo's coming in."

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:43 am:   

I'll wager Bledsoe starts six games.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Six games, huh. That sounds about right. Probably two more than Farve.

I see Henson starting one game. What a waste.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:53 am:   

Oh yeah, I wanted to say that aside from Dware, the other player making a case for defensive rookie of the year is Indy corner, Marlon Jackson, out of Michigan. He's been jacking people up and looks like a really good player.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

I've heard that former Longhorn Derrick Johnson is tearing it up in Chiefs camp too.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Brett Favre, MVP.

I know I'm a homer, but I'm telling ya, Brett hasn't looked this mobile and able to complete passes on the move since '99. His TD toss to Green against a very stiff Buffalo D was absolute vintage Favre--eludes the OLB who comes in clean, tosses an absolutely perfect touch pass to Green, who ran to the pass for the score. If Brett carries the team deep into the playoffs (and he might have to, since the run game has definitely been a little off with the loss of our guards--I'm not saying it's going to stink, but I think it won't be clicking on all cylinders until late in the season, which is fine. December is when we'll need it.), unless Peyton or someone else has an absolutely record-breaking year, Brett's gonna get the sentimental votes. I'll try not to gloat, Lucius, but no promises. :-)

Oh, and you'll note Brett didn't play another snap after that drive, which ended midway through the first quarter. His stats so far this preseason: 13 of 16 passes for 132 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions, no sacks and a quarterback rating of 140.6.

Oh, and not only did Coach Sherman sign his extension (I was a little worried about how he could rally the troops when the inevitable rough patch hit if he were a lame-duck coach), but Bubba just came to terms.

The D is undoubtedly a work in progress, but Brett'll keep us in it until they're up to speed. First five games are Det, Cleveland, TB, Carolina & Saints--hopefully enough practice time for Bates to get the D sorted out before MN.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

By December, Farve will be in a wheelchair. He'll probably get the MVP. I don't care. His three wins make the award meaningless. And it's gonna be elephant years before you get a sniff of super bowl. Rave on, Minz. I figure Carolina's where Farve gets it... Smack.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 10:13 am:   

Oh yeah.....Congrat! You just signed mediocrity to a five year extension! :-) That;s great news for the rest of the division. As for Bates, you were the same position the Chiefs were last year. Nice coach, no players.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:19 am:   

Hey, that's a 'Cane you're damnin' with faint praise. :-) I think Bubba is perhaps the most complete TE in all of football. Can make the key grab to move the chains, is dynamite in the red zone, and most importantly, is a terrific blocker. No other true TE (i.e. passcatcher as well as blocker) seals the DE the way Bubba does. Nobody. Yes, there are TEs who are game breakers as passcatchers, but with our receiving corps, it's more important he keeps drives alive and helps the run game. I can't begin to count the number of big Ahman Green runs happened because Bubba sealed the line. For our offense, he's more valuable than Gates.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

I was referring to Sherman. You signed bubba to a 7 year deal. Just admit it, Minz. Your team's on the decline, your secondary's a joke, your QB's going down, and you;;re looking at 8-8 at best../

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:00 am:   

NEVER!!!

And I think that by the end of the season, folks are going to be surprised by our secondary. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...)

Sherman signed a two-year extension. While the money's guaranteed, it won't be too prohibitive to dump him, if need be. And it would've been a mistake to go into the season with him as a lame duck. Guys a winner. While he's had problems in the postseason, based on y'all's opinions, and those of the national pundits, he should've never even been in the playoffs.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

Yeah, sherman's great blah ba blah ba blah he's great like vanilla custard and Air, he's great like pina coladas and walks in the rain, he's great like eight and eight...

The most surprising thing about the Packer secondary will be the number of times the announcer say, (fill in the name of your favorite corner) has fallen down...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Wait, Lucuis...do you not like the Packers or something?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

I don't care about the Packers. They're yesterday's news. But when I meet a Packer fan of Minzish proportions, it bring out the distatse I once felt when they would annually get their asses handed them down in Dallas.

Barth
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

>it bring out the distatse I once felt when they would annually get their asses handed them down in Dallas.

See, that's back when I actually *liked* Green Bay - back during Favre's vicodin period. Like Dan Akroyd and Chevy Chase, he was easier to enjoy when he was fucked up, apparently.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

He's not fucked up now? Well, it's true. People are funnier on drugs, but I feel an athlete's senescence can be equally amusing. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy those days. My distaste stemmed from having this whining green-and-gold excresence complaining after the games were over. It got, you know, tedious.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

The reality is that Dallas never had a quarterback half as good as Brett, and Lucius is GreenandGold with envy :-)

William Lexner
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:19 pm:   

Seems to me that Troy Aikman is 3 times better than Brett Favre.

(Sorry, a newb and a Lucius Shepherd fan checking in on the forum)

I'm only counting rings, but then....that's all that really matters.

(Not a Cowboy fan, btw, just a Favre hater from New England)

Also, if New England can shore up the Middle Linebacker position, it's going to be 3 in a row. However, at this point it seems like teams will be able to run on them.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   

There you go! A man after my own heart. All Farve haters are welcome.

Agree about NE. They stop the run, nobody stops 'em.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:29 am:   

What's up with Benson, man? His agent must be a fucking idiot. Get your guy in there. He could be the whole offense. As it is, he won't even be the starter at rb if he doesn't come in.

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:58 am:   

Well, maybe he wants to avoid getting his boy clobbered on a crappy team...

The Bears D might be okay, but that offense is going to be complete crapola without Grossman, and whoever is running the ball could very well be facing 9-man fronts. If Benson isn't playing full time, he'll still make his money, and be lengthening his career... (Not that I agree with any of this, as most of you know, but it's a viable strategy for a player out for himself.)

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

Oh yeah, broke my heart when I read about the Viqueens being unwilling to step up to the plate and reward All-pro center Matt Birk for being willing to play hurt all year, so Birk opted for season ending surgery. Good for him. Even better for my Packers.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:50 am:   

You're recommending Benson sit the season out? I don't know. He won't be the fourth pick next year...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

The Wash Post had an interesting article on the death of Thomas Herrion yesterday, focusing on the pressure to get big in football today, and the health risks associated with obesity. An interesting issue. ESPN did a story one time on college athletes accustomed to stuffing themselves with extra calories who balloon once their playing days are over.

Anyone else think that the trend toward bigger players has taken something away from the game. When I watch old college games from the 70s and 80s on ESPN Classic, it seems to me that players were lighter and faster and the play much more interesting to watch.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

Oh, yeah. They were a lot more athletic.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Not sure what's up with Benson. The local news is pretty quiet on the subject. I'm thinking they don't want to say anything negative and risk pissing off the Longhorn faithful.

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Y'know, I'm not a big fan of this "ultimatum" ploy teams are whipping out. And I really don't think the correct term is "holdout". If the player is not under contract, they are not under any obligations. Granted, as a rookie, the Bears are limited in the kind of contract they can give Benson, in Antonio Gates case as a restricted FA without any other offers he's limited, same with Bubba Franks since he was designated as a transition player. But still, these guys are certainly within their rights to refuse to sign deals that they disagree with. It's not like T.O., etc, where they are under contract and are refusing to honor the contract. I felt about as much sympathy as I can for guys getting paid millions to play a game when it came to Franks & Gates. I also expected Bubba to be there opening day regardless. But I never looked at it as his "holding out." He had no contract. And it was his business. (Oh, and I'll note that Favre was quite vocal about his expecting the team to step up and pay Bubba--not that I expected anyone around here to notice that, or give Brett any kind of benefit of a doubt. And the media sure didn't care. I only read it in the local coverage, though it was something Brett commented on at least three separate times.)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:13 am:   

I'll give Brett the benefit of the doubt and unqualifiedly deny those cross-dressing rumors and, as well, those stories about him and Velva Rubinstein, the she male stripper.

They're just flat not true...cept maybe a little.

Seriously, I think he should keep his ignorant off other people's business, pro or con.

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:20 am:   

Hey Lucius: Whatforever shall I do with the signed Favre jersey I bought for you? :-)

Here's Mike Silver's take on the Birk situation:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/08/26/open.mike/ind ex.html

I wholeheartedly agree. The Viqueen players have got to realize that management doesn't give a shit about them. I just hope we hear a lot more about this. :-)

I do wish Birk a complete recovery, (even better if he never plays another down for the Vikings but is able to go on with his life happy and healthy.)

Barth
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

Come on, Minz, can the homer spin for a minute here. Birk shouldn't be playing - period. Yeah, he made a manly man offer, but he'd have to get shot up every single game and risk further injury to a body that's proven highly breakable. The Vikes don't care about their players? Are you kidding me? They told him, dude, get the surgery, be a father, and call us next year.

Besides, this isn't about MN - it's about the NFL. Aint a team in the league that would guarantee an old, injury-prone player's contract like Birk is asking. He's been paid $14 MILLION of his contract. Let's not turn him into a UFW strawberry picker facing off with Gallo, k?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

Send me the jersey! I got a great place for it!!!!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   

Just watched the Pats drive the opening kickoff down the field, running the ball, using two rookie offensive linemen....Message to future opponents--Green Bay can't do a thing against the run. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   

Ooh.....Richard Seymour! Ouch! Poor Brett!

3-8, 29 yds. Oooh!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   

Well, that first half was brutal. I know Brett's saving hinself for the season, but 5-15, 34 yds, 1 (shoulda been 2) int....Those are Chad Hutchinson numbers. :-)

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:38 pm:   

I have three separate NFL games on the TV here, and not a one of them is the Packers game (I guess the fates can be kind...)

there's Jets-Gints (no surprise)
Cincy-Philly (ditto)
Pitt-offensive White Man's Team (who cares???)

Oh, and Brett's first half QB rating: less than 12. NICE!

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   

I suppose I could make your day, Lucius, and ask for your play-by-play, but I'm actually listening to the slaughter over the internet. Gotta love the homer announcers tearing 'em up. Reminds me of waay too many years of my youth.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   

I stopped watching. It was a massacre. Farve had actually a worse night than his numbers, the defense reeked, Corey Dillon looked like Jim Brown. And packers were going down all over, most significant the receiver, Jack, who was carted off the field. Even I started feeling bad for them.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   

Luckily, I have no recollection of those events whatsoever, Senator.

Chatman--the carted receiver--is fine. It was a precautionary move, since his hands were tingly and he'd been briefly knocked out. No memory loss. Probably mild concussion. Not surprisingly, Chatman thought it was a questionable hit. Did you see it in replays, L? It was Rodney Hampton who took him down. Y'know, the washed up safety I was convinced could turn the Packers around before he signed with NE, while the Pack showed no interest in him whatsoever. SIGH.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   

It was a clean hit. Even the Packer homeboy announcers said so. (I just watched the replay on the NFL channel). Chatman just lowered his head at the last split-second (something you're taught never to do) and the hit thus drove his head into the ground.

Farve's idiot grinning after throwing each of three picks (one was called back) is beginning to look pretty feeble. Where's the fierce competitor his fans like to trumpet.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:45 am:   

The boy needs Holmgren on his throat. He wouldn't be grinning about those picks if Mike were waiting for him on the sidelines...

Thanks for the info. Radio guys merely talked about how interceptions were so rough, likening it to being dropped unexpectedly into a kickoff return.

Harrison even went to Packers locker room after the game to check up on Chatman. Class act all the way. They even talked about how Chatman had to cheer Harrison up, tell him not to worry about it and keep playin football. Yesterday, I clearly got an early report filed right after the game. Product of the late start.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:58 am:   

Agreed about Holmgren.

Yeah, it was not a game that signals good things for the Pack. A funble, picks, no run d, special teams a joke. They better pick it up if they're goma have any kind of season....

minz
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

Well it's still early, only a preseason game, didn't have five different starters on the defensive side, blah, blah, blah, but yeah, clearly a difference between the Pack and the top team in the league. (It appears an insurmountable one, though I'm holding off until the end of the season before I judge our D, since they're still learning a brand new system. The Packers are talkin' to Cory Simon's agent. Don't know if we can structure a deal to get him, but wow, that'd be nice boost.)

I certainly am glad Fri's game didn't count, and that we're in the NFC. I'm still torn about playin AFC North this season--better North than AFC East, but I'd love to have the South this season. While North doesn't have the best teams in AFC, top to bottom they're all decent teams, no gimmes in the bunch. Alright, Cleveland I guess, but I'd feel better about that if we had them late in the year rather than week two. They'll be playing hard for Crennel for at least the first half of the season...

I am sooo ready for the season to just start, even if we have a handful of starters dinged up who need the extra week to get ready. Thank Gahd we've got the college game starting this week. Enough with the buildup. Let the games begin...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

I fell asleep during the Dallas-Houston game. Not, I think, an abnormal reaction. What happened? Anybody know?

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

Some team from Texas beat some team from Texas.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

So, Mo Clarett bits the dust.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

I mean "bites".

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   

Dallas was mediocre and Houston was frickin' awful. Some game notes:

- Romo basically locked up the backup job
- Keith Davis is making a solid case to be the starting free safety
- One of the Texans pissed of Roy Williams and he spent the rest of the game delivering some pain.
- Starting offensive line was terrible in the first quarter, but in the second they started picking up the blitz and the offence ran fairly well
- Patrick Crayton is locking up the #3 receiver slot over Quincy Morgan

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   

Minz, you got the same problem KC did last year. Good coordinator, no players.

Dave, was there ever any doubt?

Rick, I guess shit happens.

Thanks, Josh. Did Spears play?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:46 pm:   

Nope. Spears dressed, but he didn't play.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   

At least that's a step forward.... :-)

Flash! This just in! Brett Farve's Mother threaten by Hurricane Katrina. Watch out, NFL! Another Farve relative in peril--you know what that means.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:46 pm:   

Brett on Katrina: "Why me?"

I am not kidding. That;'s his reaction. Why me? What an amazing cretin!

New Thread below...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register