New College Ball Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » New College Ball « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

By Minz on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:17 am:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/ncaa/07/15/bc.bkc.kansas.ncaa.a p/index.html

So Roy Williams okays booster payments while at Kansas (the only sanctions thus far are against Women's Hoops and Football, hence it's shoehorned into this thread). If the NCAA actually had justice in mind (insert joke here), not only would Kansas face sanctions, but Williams should face sanctions where ever he is, as long as it's under NCAA jurisdiction. "Misunderstood the rules"?!? Give me a break. Students are never eligible to get paid by boosters. Period. Any schmoo with even an inkling about college sports knows that. (And to beat a dead horse, how does a coach knowingly approving payment to players compare to, oh, I dunno, student athletes getting larger than advertised discounts from a discount shoe store? The same kind of discounts the store offers high school athletes, etc?)

Gosh, I wonder if Williams will walk away scot-free...
   By Minz on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:20 am:

I'm not saying UNC's national championship should be compromised, But I am saying Williams should be suspended now. Period.
   By Lucius on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:29 am:

I'm afraid I'm cynical about this. Yes, major college coaches have the moral fiber of termites, but they all get away with shit unless there's a murder (see Baylor) or something. If Jim Tressel is still allowed to coach at OSU, hey, I think by contrast Roy Williams should be awarded the Freedom Medal.
   By Minz on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:42 am:

Oh, I don't expect anything will be done, but something should be done. And Tressel should be hung out to dry. But the NCAA being an absolute joke is nothing new...
   By Lucius on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:47 am:

What we need is a hit team of crack science fiction writers armed with sniper rifles to work their way coach by coach through the NCAA ranks...That'll larn 'em!
   By Minz on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 08:28 am:

Now, now, the punishment should fit the crime. I think the punishment should be doled out by Terry Tate, Office Linebacker, with sentencing being done in number of hits/day, where Tate just stalks them and lays them out when they least expect it. Bloodied and beaten, not dead.

Save the sniper action for those who deserve it: the NCAA itself
   By Lucius on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 08:39 am:

Whatever....

You don't think Tressel et al deserves "it?"

I does! Guess we handle things differnt in Ol' Virginny.
   By Minz on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:15 pm:

Maybe a little quality time with a plunger and the NYPD. If they're dead, you can't keep punishin' 'em.
   By Lucius on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

I see your point.
   By Forrest on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:02 pm:

I think Williams should have to walk from his home to Shoe Box while the entire Wisconsin "Shoe Box" team and coaching staff make illegal blocks on him.

Oh, and all the alumni too . . .
   By Forrest on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:04 pm:

forgot about the boosters and everyone employed at Shoe Box at the time. Everyone affected gets a piece of him.
   By Lucius on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

Illegal blocks? Wrong sport. How about they set moving picks on his ass.
   By Minz on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:41 am:

Um, you guys have seen the Terry Tate Office Linebacker ads for Reebok, right? Where he just blindsides the crap outta run-of-the-mill office folks for various minor infractions. That's what I want for Tressel. A year's worth of Terry Tate stalking his ass, cleaning his clock when he leasts expects it, then taunting his ass while he whimpers on the ground.

Williams deserves a week or two, maybe a month.
   By Josh Rountree on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:53 am:

The annual Big 12 media event starts today. All the coaches, players, etc. gather together for mass interview sessions. It's always interesting to see how hopeful everyone is this time of year. Even teams like Kansas...

The assembled media picked Texas to win the South. Of the 50 possible first place votes, Texas received 40, OU got 9, and TX A&M got 1.

Worthless spectulation, sure...but me likes!
   By Minz on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 08:14 am:

Current SI (I think it was SI--it was one of the major sports websites I was surfing this weekend) poll had them at #2 overall, behind USC of course.
   By Forrest on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 04:27 pm:

Texas is getting a lot of attention in the preseason. I just don't think that bodes well for Longhorn fans . . .

Lucius, I wasn't looking for the right sport, I was looking for NCAA-violation-vigilante justice, regardless of sport. I'd just as soon see him beaten with the dismembered limbs of the NCAA infraction committee by our cheerleaders. Doesn't matter a whit to me, so long as he's punished by those who shouldn't have been punished. Sometimes I'm just plain evil.
   By Josh Rountree on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:21 am:

Yeah, it could go either way for Texas. I see them having the talent to win it all, but I can also see them losing four games. Can't wait until September...
   By Lucius on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:14 am:

I just thought a moving pick would be more apt...

I think Texas beats OU, but as said, not OSU. Michigan would have beat 'em in the Rose Bowl if Carr hadn't played his linebackers back. OSU won't be doing that.

I'm not a Texas-hater, Josh. Just my opinion.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Pitt had to replace Temple and Furman on future schedules, so who do you suppose they've reached agreements with for non-conf games?

Iowa, VT, NC State, UVa and Miami.

A couple of those schools might give us a game.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

Jesus. Well, Wannstadt's not chicken, is he? Not the way you'd think he'd go. So, you spitting furballs or what?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

Look on the bright side. Your strength of sched just went through the roof!

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:10 am:   

Heh, yeah, Dave, lucky us.

Most of those games are post-2007, but another interesting schedule note is a home-home series with Michigan State for 2006 and 2007.

I'm going to email Jeff Long (AD) and point out that there are other teams in the Big Ten that would be, er, well...you know Bloomington is lovely in the fall.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

All kidding aside, though, I was tempted toward a furball at first, but then a soft schedule doesn't do anybody any good...Pitt was playing like a solid team by the end of last season, but they were essentially untested (and being kids, didn't realize that) until they saw Utah. Enough said.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Having a decent schedule is one thing, playing VT or Miami when you don't have to...that's borderline nuts. But if you're going to aspire to NCs, you gotta roll the dice. When's the first Miami game?

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

Not until 2010. But, I just looked at the article again, and UVa is also a home-home in 06 and 07.

Roll the dice indeed.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Wow. Well, good luck. :-) Wannstadt's obviously got big plans for the program, and that should make you happy....

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

Yeah, it do.

:-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

I don't think you're a Texas hater, Lucius. I agree that Texas will have a tough time with Ohio State. I'm a fan, but I'm a realist too.

That being said, anything is possible.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

Yup....Let's hope. I got no love for OSU.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:19 am:   

Now there are reports that the OSU QB may be in more trouble. He already has to sit out the first game of the season. It would be a shame if he had to miss the Texas game...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:27 am:   

That's not gonna happen first of all, and second of all, their back-up is almost as good, if not as good.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   

I'm still hoping that the Badgers find a way to beat them. The Buckeyes should have beat Wisconsin the last couple of times they met, but there's some kind of "anti-chemistry" thing going on there where the Badgers beat them despite the fact that their talent is a full notch lower than OSUs.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   

Sorry, Forest,,,we're talking what's that on my shoe? Oh, badger stuff....Ewww!

Minz
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

Yeah, but unless we have some huge surprises among the frosh, UW isn't going to be a full notch lower than OSU this year, unless we're talking about a notch the size of the Grand Canyon.

I'm praying for a miraculous 9-3 season,
hoping for an 8-4,
would be happy with 7-5. We need a bowl game, so that our underclassmen get another month of practice at the end of the season for next year.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

I'd be really, really happy with 7-5. I don't think there will be any huge surprises among the frosh, but have you seen the 2006 wide receivers that have given verbals? Yowza. Alvarez better get used to passing. And we better recruit a good QB, because we have a great set of receivers coming on. This could be a very different team in a couple of years (think of the pre-Tillman Purdue vs. the now Purdue).

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:00 am:   

UW _Isn't__ going to be a full notch lower than OSU? Was that a type or just plain (I'll be kind) fantasy? I think they'll smash Wisc -- those upsets are just going to put fuel on the fire. I'd say OSU by 20, at least...

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:06 am:   

I think Minz meant it would be more than one full notch, to wit, "unless we're talking about a notch the size of the Grand Canyon."

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Oh, Ok.....

Thanks for interpreting. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

De nada.

Pitt alumni have a long tradition of helping the disadvantaged...you know, the ill, the underprivileged, the Miami fan...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:44 am:   

I can see you're warming up for the football season, getting limber, trying out a few adjective-nouns, etc....

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

To say nothing of the verbs.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Yup.

Them verbs take some practice.....

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

Championships are won at two-a-days in August.

Pain is temporary, pride is forever.

There's no "I" in team.

Well, I think I'm ready -- and only 43 more days.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Me, too....

Forrest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

Yeah, everything points to OSU stomping UW, but they were also supposed to stomp UW the last few times they've played - and they haven't. If OSU loses, it's because of the coaching. They've got the talent to Hector-drag* the Badgers all over the field.

*cf: The Illiad

PS: Wisconsin just scored another WR for '06. Think they're going to change up the offense? What would Chryst do?

Forrest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:31 am:   

"There's no "I" in team."

reminds me of an article I read in the Onion once, titled:

"There is no "my kid has cancer" in team!"

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

Things have got to even out sometime. Those upsets and close calls will fuel the Buckeyes, I fear.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:47 am:   

That;s a good point, F...

There's no laetrille in team, either. No Hawaii. no Pepsi...there's hardly anything in team

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

All I can say is anyone who says that "pride is forever" did not see the episode of "Two and a Half Men" with Sean Penn and Elvis Costello.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

I didn't see it, but I'm guessing that episode might also have proved that pain is not temporary?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

No, I saw it, It's the episode of the show I've ever seen. It was pretty damn funny. The guys were having a cigar night....

Forrest
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   

Good-ish news in Badgerland, at least, possibly, for the future. It seems that Chryst is impressing young potential recruits. Apparently his reputation is coming with him from Oregon State. Two QBs, in particular, are looking awfully good so long as they stay healthy (and assuming they come to play for Wisconsin) - Michael Hartline (OH) and Adam Weber (MN). Hartline says he's 95% on coming to Wisconsin (rumor is he might be holding out for OSU, who has shown interest, even though he's spurned Michigan, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame) and Weber says he's going to decide between Wisconsin and MN "very soon". Hartline's stats as a junior are great - 188/332 (56.0 pct) 2,440 yards 15 TD O INT, and Weber's not too shabby either - 81/158 (51 pct) 1,344 yards 12 TD 2 INT. Weber is considered a "dual threat" as well. Hartline seems to be an excellent passer, but at a 5.14 40, I'd rather see Weber come on at 4.82 and run the occasional option . . . unless, of course, Chryst can *really* change the Badger's mentality into a that of a true passing team.

Anyway, if one or both of these guys come on, there's a light at the end of next year's very dark tunnel. The WRs are there, so long as the verbals sign on, they just need a good QB - not even a great QB. I think either one of these guys could be, with the proper coaching, good, maybe excellent QBs.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:53 pm:   

Fifty-six percent accuracy is not so hot in age when 60 percent has become the standard. But he's gotta be an upgrade. You Wisc and Packer guys...the glass is always half full. Must be all the white bread.... :-)

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   

Oh, I'll take 56%, given what we've worked with for the last, oh, century or so . . .

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

Minz
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

Hey Darrell Bevell was extremely accurate. Granted, he may not have been able to throw more than thirty yards, but under 15, he was dead-on. Which is what makes him such a great QB coach for Favre...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Darrell Bevell? Who....?

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:49 am:   

Okay, a quick basketball note because I know you're all *dying* to hear this...Krauser is coming back to Pitt for his senior year. He had offers to play in Europe but decided (wisely) that another year of college would improve his stock considerably.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   

Now my heart can start beating again. :-)

(I'm often met with comments like this when I post some Miami news)

But, HTP...

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

Miami? Who . . .? :-)

The Ibis
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   

The Ibis remembers these things.... :-)

The All-Powerful Ibis
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

The Ibis not only remembers, he nourishes himself on these things.... :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:35 am:   

Darrell Bevell was the Badger QB who first led us back to the Promised Land of Beer & Roses back in '93 ('94 game). He's now the QB coach for the Packers (and is four months YOUNGER than Favre). If you want to point to a lack of Favre learning curve, look no further. Okay, throw some at Sherman as well, but it starts with QB coach. In Brett's best years, it was Mariucci, Reid & even Morhinweg. Bevell certainly doesn't belong on that list. No wonder he didn't seem to take it as seriously. (That, and his great uncle's phlebitis.)

Guess I'm blurring threads again...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

That's far to much information, Minz. Spare us further Bevell lore, or I'll be forced to relate some similar Cane material.

The NFL channel just showed the Jags beating the Pack at Lambeau on two exquisite Farve INTs. Ah! Beautiful.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

Minz, you can't blame Favre's slide on Bevell. He's made some pretty dumb decisions all on his own, I'm sure. His lack of learning curve could very well be a result of just being topped out. If you see Rogers making the same mistakes a couple of years down the road, then I could agree with you. But without further evidence, I'm not convinced that Bevell is at fault. Brett's got to be held accountable on his own shortcomings.

Back on the college scene, much-touted RB recruit Kevin Collier seems to be struggling on the decision between, get this, Wisconsin and . . .

wait for it . . .

Pitt.

I think Pitt will get him. He's a NY boy, and he is apparently making another visit to pantherland. Whoever gets him has a keeper. Ran for 1724 yds as a senior for 20 TDs. Average run was 7.8 yards. He went 256 carries without a fumble.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

Wow. That's funny...we don't usually have overlapping recruiting areas. For a hot RB propsect, with Wannstedt and the (projected) new empahsis on running, the schools might actually look more comparable in terms of offenses.

If it's upstate NY, then advantage Badgers; if it's NYC, slight advantage Pitt just because of all the other NYC-ers who come to Pitt both in sports and out.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

He's from the Rochester area.

And all signs point to the Badgers picking up a West Coast style offense under Chryst. Should be interesting.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:13 am:   

What''s that I hear? A Packer fan tallking about Farve's shortcomings? Is Hell frozen over?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

Just in time for the West Coast offense to go out of style....

Actually, that may be true. Defenses are soon gonna be catching up to it.

Meanwhile, Miami is designing a defensive to neutralize Marcus Vick involving a thirteen year old girl carrying a basket of goodies.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:20 am:   

That's "defense"

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

Oh, absolutely Brett makes bad decisions.

But the point is that it's up to the coach to get on his case when he does so. Brett has never complained about hard coaching, ever. I don't know if he'd complain now, but when he throws up one of those prayers, someone should be riding him. Period. Three of his previous QB coaches, actually, four if you count Holmgren, who didn't bring in a QB coach in Favre's first season or two, are head coaches for other teams. They learned a lot about how to handle adversity by riding Brett hard in those successful early years. And he still needs that as a player. Always has. That's not passing the blame from Brett, just pointing out what should be done for the good of the team. Coach the guy. Just because he's been around forever doesn't mean he just needs his QB coach to round out his foursome for golfing...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Blurring the threads, blurring them badly....

Look. Fit Farve with a little computer implant, like I used in a story, Barnacle Bill, and I bet he'll even be able to order meals in restaurants.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

How about some predictions, get this back to college ball. Give us your predictioms who's going to win the various major conferences.

I'll start.

SEC -- LSU
ACC- Va Tech
Big Ten- Mich
Big East-- Pitt
Big 12- Kansas

Exclude the Pac 10

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   

Okay, after careful deliberation...

SEC: Bama (before you choke, let me point out, they went 5-3 in conf last year *without* an offense; this year they've got one)
ACC: Miami
Big Ten: Ohio State
Big East: Pitt (but could be a tie with L-ville)
Big 12: Texas

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Choke!

Yeah, but so does Fla and LSU...have an offense.

But solid picks, some stretches, but mine have 'em too.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Bama has FL, TN and LSU at home this year...that should help.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   

Beat UT, Beat UT.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   

Oops, wait a minute, I miscounted on Bama's record last year, but I will stay with my pick nonetheless on the basis of a healthy Brodie Croyle and the several new running backs they have coming in, as well as the return of almost the entire defensive unit.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   

Well, should be interesting. They have a good d, but Croyle seems like one of those guys whose just never going to catch a break...cept as in ankle break or arm break or something.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   

SEC: FL
ACC: Miami
Big Ten: Ohio State
Big East: Louisville (with apologies to Deborah)
Big 12: Iowa State (you heard it here first!)

and some minor conferences (though the Mountain West is every bit as much of a major conference as the Big East with the realignment):

WAC: Boise State
MWest: Utah
MAC: Bowling Green

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

That's okay, Forrest, really, I mean why should our years of friendship and my carrying you off Mt. Kilamanjaro when you broke both legs mean anything?

Nah, I know it'll be very close between Pitt and L'ville...that's going to be one very good game.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   

I picked Pitt because I like their underdog status and maybe L-ville coming into the B E is going to be a bit of an eye-opener.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   

I also hope that that happy horseshit Bobby Pet rino calls an offense gets slammed on its collective ass. I don't like games that end up 41-35. I like a game with some d, that stays in the 40-50 point range, or less.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   

Don't worry...HB Blades and Josh Lay are on it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   

Blades....good bloodlines, that one,

Forrest
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   

I'm surprised I'm not being crucified for my Iowa State pick . . . Still, I think they've got the goods. They'll need some lucky breaks, to be sure, but they have the capability.

And I sincerely hope that BYU takes the Mountain West, but I'm not stupid. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, to see them take 2nd there, what with Crowton gone and all.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   

I just figgered the IOWA St pick was a brain spasm. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

I'm not coming down on your Iowa State pick because I'm still trying to figure out Lucius' Kansas pick.

There are five teams in the South division alone with a better chance of winning the Big12.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:14 am:   

Texas is such an easy pick, Josh. I just was taking a long shot....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:14 am:   

Predictions:

SEC - LSU
ACC - Miami
Big 10 - Michigan
Big East - Pitt
Big 12 - Texas

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:16 am:   

Granted, the North was so bad last year that almost every team had a chance to rise to the top. I'm not saying Texas is a lock, but I think OU & A&M will be able to match up with any of the North teams this year if they make it to the championship game.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:19 am:   

Well, if truth be told, I was watching a featurette on Kansas when I picked and may have been unduly influenced. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:29 am:   

I hope Kansas does win the North. I have no love for Nebraska, Colorado or Kansas State and I'm pretty much neutral on the rest of the teams.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

Nobody loves Nebraska. The Buffs are becoming a hated entity cause of Barnett. KSTATE, well, I'm ok with them....

minz
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:51 am:   

SEC - FL
ACC - Clemson
Big 10 - Purdue
Big 12 - OU

Leak's going to take it to the next level this year, despite less than favorable schedule.

I know Clemson always chokes, but no VT, and Miami and FSU at home. Gotta like that favorable schedule. Plus, they seem to be under folks radar, so choke factor may not be in effect. Miami certainly better be ready to rumble from day one, opening at FSU and then at Clemson. Yowza!

Same thing for Purdue as Clemson: great schedule, veteran squad. (And besides, what fun is it picking Mich or OSU.)

And I apologize to TX fans; I hope your team proves me wrong.

In a sign of solidarity with Forrest, the best of the rest:
WAC: Fresno State
MWest: BYU
MAC: Miami OH
Big East - Rutgers
Pac 10: AZ St

Rutgers is my Team of Destiny (you'll note I'm the only one to ignore the BS--I mean BCS--and group the Big Least where it properly belongs, as well as the Pac Joke.)
AZ St will take the tough lesson against LSU on the road and ride it to Pac Ten championship, as championship hangover and injuries bring great disappointment to USC.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:07 am:   

Rutgers as a TOD?

Ahem. Cough.

Rutgers will be a team of destiny when Hilary Clinton gives birth to a lion....

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

When said lion is house-trained, you mean.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:40 am:   

....yeah, that's what I mean....

Minz wins MOST RIDICULOUS PICK...

Even worse than my Kansas pick.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:52 am:   

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything about that cause I figured there was always a chance you knew something we didn't and I guess with my Bama pick I don't have room to talk, but, Kansas? The Cyclones have a better chance.

And, btw, Pitt has to play Nebraska again this year...in the flatlands. Ugh.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Like I said, It was just a whim. After all, what are we competing for? We'll all be humbled by season's end. And I don't agree about the 'Clones. On principal.

Will Pitt be favored? They may be...

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:35 am:   

At least one prognosticator had them losing...can't remember who it was though...

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:44 am:   

It's the Big Least. Why NOT pick Rutgers? I figured what the heck, regardless who takes the conference, their success is immaterial; they in no way shape or form will factor in the National Title. (No offense to Pitt, but they need to get themselves into a real conference. Y'know, maybe they should try and get into the Big Ten. Set up the rivalry games with Penn St. That'd actually be a pretty good fit.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Well fuck a bunch of prognostication...

No right-thinking human could pick Nebraska in anytthing....

Witness Trev Albert

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

Yeah, that's gonna happen, Rutgers in the Big Ten. They don't need another doormat. Most years, like this one, they have seven or eight of 'em.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

I think he's saying Pitt should try to get in the Big Ten...that's something that's been kicked around for years in the 'Burgh. Rumors abound about Penn State offering to plead the case with the BT, etc. The Pitt-Penn State games are supposed to resume some time anyway.

That might not be bad...all Pitt really has left in the BE is the rivalry with WVU. I think there's some hope that the BE will be able to lure ND in but I don't think that would be the salvation for the BE either.

I don't really see OSU and Michigan going for that though...recruiting in the area is already brutal.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

Pitt probably should have gone to the ACC. Pitt would be good in the Big 10, but like you, I don't see it happening. PSU wouldn't be happy either. The Big East may come back, but it's gonna be tough. Louisville and Cinci arent VT and Miami.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:36 am:   

I was going to suggest the ACC. With 11 teams, we need one more for a conference championship, and Pitt would be a better fit than those rotters from Syracuse. Come on, Deborah, join us...join us...

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

I been sitting here trying to figure out how to spell the raspberry noise, but I can't so...

Never happen. Ne-vah.

Despite Mike Tranghese's attempts to hypnotize us all with his big talk about the Gator Bowl, I gotta admit the BE has turned into the Big Joke.

And, Lucius, Lousiville and Cinci aren't Miami and VT? Hell, Cinci isn't even Temple.

Can I get back to barging with Cleopatra now? Let's talk about something else.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

They would if they could.....

And why are you so concerned about the confeence championship. 'cause it'll be a cold day in hell before.....etc etc.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:51 am:   

bargin' with Cleopatra? Que?

Cinci is so Temple. :-)

Seriously, they gave OSU a good game the last couple of years.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

In De Nile, sir.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

Oh...Yup. Got it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:11 am:   

I'm just here to set you up, aren't I?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:13 am:   

Pretty much.

The Force is With Me
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

I think Pitt in the Big Ten would be really cool. The closest teams to them, in terms of style, are probably Purdue and maybe Northwestern (when their QB is on).

I look forward to being humbled on all my picks, except Iowa State, who shall rise like a burning star from behind the nebulous clouds of the North, burning the cosmic dust that once was Oklahoma, A&M, and/or Texas.

In the words of Emperor Palpatine: "I have foreseen it".

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Oh, and regarding conference changes, the annual rumor that BYU is "about to join the PAC 10" has mutated into the annual rumor that Utah is "About to join the PAC 10". As with Kansas, I'll believe it when I see it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

Hey, Force....that burning star you see is Iowa State in flames....

Dear Bargin' with Clea...

"Pretty much..."

You mean there's more? :-)

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Well Mike Tranghese *is* still sniffing too much glue and I would love to see Pitt find a better conference...

You think I'm kidding about Tranghese trying to dazzle with big press conferences to announce long term commitments with bowls that are worse than a joke, but that's what he did a few days ago...they barely kept the Gator Bowl and he gleefully announced that he's pursuing some possible future bowl in Toronto which would be a BE team vs. a MAC team. WTF? And, to make matters worse, he also announced the BE is pursuing long term scheduling agreements with Army and Navy...oh, yeah, that'll help.

No wonder I don't want to talk about the BE any more.

Let's talk about the

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

Pitt is like NW? Purdue? I don't see any similarity. Except for Palco being a kind of a Big Ten-like QB. As they were last year, they were a throwing team, but their offense didn't look a thing like P or NW, IMO?

BTW, Orton starting for Da Bears this season? What do you think?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

And, L, you're here to set me up, dog Minz and be the token Miami fan.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:40 am:   

I meant to add, that as things will be apparently, they're gonna look a lot more like OSU.

Tranghese's on crack.

Let's talk about the... ?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

And this year, Pitt is going to look more like...well...hard to say...with the emphasis on power running and short passes and with an emphasis on quickness over size in D? Um...that sounds more like the SEC, dunnit? Or the ACC, dammit.

I thought Grossman was starting for Da Bears.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:42 am:   

Oh, I'm token, huh?

I might hafta start singing WE SHALL OVERCOME....

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

Lucius, for your information, the AP preseason poll has as the two ACC division runners-up the Hurricanes and those li'l ol' Eagles from Chestnut Hill...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:45 am:   

They're talking about not being secure about Grossman, and I personally think Rex is brittle and I hear Orton's the future.....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:47 am:   

Wow. The AP. I'm convinced....:-)

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:49 am:   

You're not tokin' as bad as the AP...ba dum bum.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

In regards to Pitt and the Big Ten, I'm just saying that, stylistically, Purdue and Northwestern like to throw the ball more than most BT teams. They are decidedly not "smashmouth".

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

I'm curious to see what Orton can do. And looking forward to seeing his uniform in scraps on Lambeau.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant...this year? Who knows? Not smashmouth, but more balanced surely.

39 days, ya'll.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:06 am:   

Yeah, me too, though the offense was vastly differnt-looking from P and NW.....

Yup. Them Packer and Bears are gonna be fighting over scraps, that's for sure.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

hey, just spotted this. A better coaches poll, perhaps?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/07/26/bc.fbc.mastercoachessu r.ap/index.html

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

Can't access it, but the word says it all: poll

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

The Ohio State QB slipped out of the noose.

Guess he'll be ready to go when the Horns come to town.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

Try this link, for the poll,

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-mastercoachessurvey&prov=ap&type=lgns

It's the Big Name Retired coaches poll...Except for John Cooper, there are some guys in there who know a thing or two. Has to be better than some of the current ones.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:38 am:   

You knew that was gonna happen, right?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:42 am:   

Thanks, Deborah. Yeah, but if Terry Donahue gets in, there goes the neighborhood!

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

So on the recruiting front, Michael Harltline has said that the Badgers are at the top of his list. Pardon me for getting all giddy about some high school kid, but when is the last time the Badgers have recruited a highly-touted QB away from both Michigan and OSU? How about . . . never?

Of course, he could be a bust, but I think that with Chryst in charge of things, that's a lot less likely.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

Ahmen, Brother Forrest. It does seem to be about time to start talking about recruiting for the Badgers. :-)

They'll be scrapping for a bowl game, and maybe a rough year will lead to giving Chryst more of a free reign.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:05 am:   

Badger recruiting! Pah! Miami has signed commitments from seven demi-urges and the element Fire. That's recruiting.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:55 am:   

In a bold move today, Pitt selected The Sirens as cheerleaders...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

The Hussies!

Miami already nabbed the Fates....

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

Two words: Academic Standing.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

In Hurricane land I think that's only one word and it has no meaning, :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

Actually, I thought that was the name of the Canes' most popular course...And its second-semester companion, Academic Sitting. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Well, here I go being self-deprecating,,,,

It's true. We yield before the shadow of the Cathedral of Learning, and the glory of a Pitt education. But hey, education ain't everything. I've taken that South Beach seminar, and...It's brutal. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

Yeah...I'm sure it was..."If a Tequila Sunrise is two-for-one and a Mai Tai is half off during Happy Hour, should you still get the Slow Gin Fizz?"

Only 38 days til we can deconstruct games instead of each other...

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Or: "If a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead approach your spot of beach you should:
1) apply suntan lotion to blonde's back
2) apply suntan lotion to brunette's back
3) apply suntan lotion to redhead's back
4) sip bacardi and coke
5) contemplate how grateful you are that you're not in Wisconsin this winter
6) all of the above."

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:24 am:   

And while we'll never be the recruiting powerhouse that Miami is, the list of potential '06 candidates that is leaning towards the Badgers is the strongest ever. Could be roses in, say, '08. Like I've said, light at the end of the tunnel.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

So South Beach Seminar is a Women Studies class, then, is it?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

Deborah, I'm posting this, cause I know you're dying to meet the ibis....

r CanesFest Weekend Set for July 30-31, 2005!
Summer CanesFest is here! Don't miss your chance to see your Miami Hurricane football team at CanesFest on Saturday, July 30th from 2-5 p.m. at the Knight Sports Complex on the campus of the University of Miami. Join us for an autograph session with the team, Q & A with Coach Coker, purchase your season tickets, visit with Sebastian the Ibis, and join the Hurricane Club. Admission is free and open to the public. Fans should park near the Metrorail and in the parking garage on Ponce De Leon Boulevard. Shuttle buses will be running to transport fans to the Knight Sports Complex.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

The women studies question...

Sorta...

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:32 am:   

Ponce De Leon Boulevard? Whoa.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

Yup. Near Hernando Cortez Lane. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

The latest Bowden...

HOT SPRINGS, Va. - (KRT) - Bobby Bowden was vacationing in Panama City when his projected starting quarterback was picked up this summer by Tallahassee police and taken to a local hospital

He wasn't around - at least nowhere near a microphone - when two of his veteran linebackers were arrested and charged with misdemeanors. Or when that same quarterback, who many thought had gone crazy, was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Or just last week, when his star cornerback shredded a knee ligament defending a meaningless pass in a voluntary summer workout.

So when the day finally arrived Monday for Bowden to speak up for his program, defend it and fend off suggestions of a summer implosion, it was almost hard to know where to begin.

"Well, here's a silly question," Bowden said as he squeezed into his spot at a table lined with dozens of buzzing tape recorders. "Are there any questions?"

Bowden sat face to face with the media, at the Atlantic Coast Conference's annual football kickoff, for the first time since the chain reaction started a month and a half ago with the quiet announcement, via an emailed press release, that defensive tackle Clifton Dickson will be academically ineligible for this upcoming season.

Since then, his players seemed to be flying on to the national headlines with increasing creativity. And the silence coming from the top of the program only made the speculation grow louder.

"We've lost three starters since my vacation started," Bowden sighed, in an attempt to sum up the summer's developments.

Those starters - Dickson, quarterback Wyatt Sexton and cornerback Antonio Cromartie - have magnified the news with their marquee names. This team didn't just lose two second-string special teams players and a back-up punter. It lost anchors under center, on the defensive line and in the secondary.

And the linebackers in trouble with the law - Ernie Sims and A.J. Nicholson - were upperclassmen leaders no one expected to worry about.

His response to it all was typically Bowden. No problem is too messy to be disarmed with a quip.

"I'm kind of surprised," Bowden said, referring to Florida State's selection in the preseason media poll as the top team in the Atlantic Division. "Looks like y'all haven't been reading the paper."

Although he acknowledged the laundry list of offseason problems, Bowden wouldn't bite the premise that this has been a particularly devastating summer for his team following several years of relative quiet.

"It's no different than it's ever been," Bowden said. "People ask me about, `Oh this summer, oh how awful it's been!' Is it any different from how it's ever been? We've always had somebody in trouble, we've always had somebody have grades, we've always had somebody sick. I just don't remember that much difference. Now the circumstances of the disease, that's the first time we've had something like that. But that's life."

But - surely ?

"I don't add them up. I don't say five this year, and three the year before, and seven the year before that."

At least Bowden's take - whether or not he sincerely means it - should inject some calm into his team. A day earlier tailback Leon Washington met with the ACC media as well and declared this "probably one the worst offseasons Florida State has had."

Between Bowden's vacation and NCAA offseason rules, his players have had as little interaction with him as the media have. He did offer players some good news Monday when he ruled out any possibility that either Sims or Nicholson might miss the Sept. 5 season opener against Miami because of their summer run-ins with the TPD.

"There's more ways to discipline than a dadgone suspension," he said. "Y'all have heard of physical pain, haven't you? That's our method. We physically are going to get 'em if they break our rules. Now to say that we don't discipline just because I don't suspend them - just so I can be like everybody else - I'm not interested in being like everybody else."

That stand could land the team in even more controversy come Labor Day, given the nature of one of the charges against Sims - domestic battery. But Sims' lawyer said this past week that he expects that charge to be dropped by the state, and even Sims' girlfriend has discounted reports that he was overly aggressive with her.

Bowden did acknowledge that Cromartie's injury would leave him without one of his three best players.

It's still unclear though what lingering effects Sexton's situation may have on this season, particularly given that his father, assistant Billy Sexton, is expected to continue coaching his teammates while his son recovers away from the field.

In the immediate future, when camp opens in two weeks, Bowden must begin scrutinizing his two redshirt freshmen quarterbacks, Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford, for any sign that may set one apart from the other. Bowden said Monday that although he would prefer to crown a single starter, he would be willing to use the two in a quarterback by committee.

At some point too, he will finally visit Sexton, but Bowden said that time won't come until Sexton's parents grant him permission.

Bowden wasn't able to clear up much of the mystery that led up to Sexton's diagnosis this summer. He said he never noticed any odd symptoms from the redshirt junior during spring practice, when Sexton began losing his advantage over the two freshmen.

But Bowden did begin receiving phone calls from Billy Sexton shortly after the summer began with unsettling updates of strange behavior. He wouldn't specify what the behavior was.

"His mother and daddy couldn't figure it out," Bowden said. "None of us could figure it out. We knew something was wrong, but nobody could figure anything out."

Watching the family go through all of this summer's uncertainty and public scrutiny was particularly tough, Bowden said, because he has known Billy Sexton since he was Wyatt's age. Bowden's running backs coach has been with the program for almost three decades - during which time Wyatt was all but raised on the football field.

Picking up strange behavior may have been a little tough for a player who never fit the football mold anyway.

"He's too smart to let (football) be his God," Bowden said. "You can't let football rule you, and he wouldn't let football rule him. He liked music, played the guitar, was a straight-A student, a mighty good boy."

Bowden talked about those qualities as if they were all shelved away in the past tense. Sexton is expected to recover, and Bowden has mentioned seeking a medical redshirt, but it's unlikely he'll again be the talk of these preseason meetings next year.

By then Bowden should have a new quarterback, and probably a new set of problems. Although some questions now are bound to pop up perennially, with Bowden entering his 30th season in Tallahassee and the path to a national championship appearing rockier every year.

"I've never in my life a day considered retiring," Bowden said in response to the requisite inquiry about his retirement. "I don't know why that is, because most people my age have already retired, but I can't even remember a day where I sat back and said, `Oh boy, in two years I'm getting out of this. I'm so glad. I can't wait.'"

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Breaking news, Minz!

Just heard on the radio that Barry Alvarez is stepping down as Wisconsin head coach!

What's going on here??? Did you see this coming?

Press conference at 2pm.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

Wow. That's unreal news. Thanks, John.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:16 am:   

ESPN news doesn't have anything about this and googling brings up nothing....

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

This just popped up on Madison.Com...

Alvarez expected to step aside as coach WSJ

UW Athletic Department officials have called a news conference for 1 p.m. today to address the dual-role status of football coach and athletic director Barry Alvarez.

Sources indicated Alvarez will relinquish his job as the Badgers' coach to become full-time athletic director at UW. He is expected to outline a timetable for his transition to that role, but it was unclear whether he will name his successor as coach or when he will step down.

Defensive coordinator Bret Bielema and co-offensive coordinator Paul Chryst are the top on-staff candidates to replace Alvarez as football coach.

Sources said Alvarez and his family will be in attendance at today's news conference.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Maybe Forrest can get one of those hats with a card in the front that says "Press" and hot foot it over to the stadium for us...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

http://www.jsonline.com/badger/fb/jul05/344403.asp

Wasn't there at 5:30 this morning, when I'm usually up with Rachel, checking out the sports pages.

This one names just Bielema, but I gotta think Chryst is in the running as well, and Barry is going to use this season to figure out which should get the job.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

I expected this, but I expected it after this season. I figured Barry was bringing Chryst in with the idea he'd be a talented young innovator to replace him.

Then again, it makes sense. It'll be an up-and-down rough year, so both coaches get a chance to show their mettle. Plus, expectations will be lower for the new coach after such a rough year.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

This isn't gonna be a sweet last season!

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:30 am:   

Yeah, it was probably a good idea to announce this now, before the season starts, so there weren't rumors flying and it didn't look like he was forced out if they have a real rough year...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

True. Pretty smart. I'm going to start a new thread. ESPN news conference at 11 PCT.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

He's taking it on his own chin and thinking like an AD. Give his successor an easier time of it, he's already won three Rose Bowls in the last 12 years, and he knows the last season won't tarnish his legacy. Class act all the way.

Of course, Barry never had to be worried about being forced out. He coulda pulled a Joepa for a decade before the heat would've been turned on. But opposing teams do love to start rumors, especially for the sake of recruiting, so it is good he's making it clear early on. And at season's end, he can name his successor and move right into recruiting. Should help with wooing QBs already.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register