Newer Pro Football Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Newer Pro Football « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

By Minz on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:49 am:

I was a bit surprised at the numbers when I went looking. Considering the 'boys lack of a passing game, I had expected better running, but their NFC ranking the past three seasons: 7, 8, 10. (04, 03, 02)
The Packers: 3, 1, 5

And we still have the same three running backs. The Pro Bowl center and both tackles, plus one of the big problems with last years running game was the failure of U71 formation, because kevin barry was fat and out of shape (he's the 71 in u71.) He stayed in GB this offseason and is in the best shape of his career. 2 years ago, it was damn near unstoppable, and that's when we had only one decent receiver.

What upgrades do the 'boys have other than Rivera? I suppose Bledsoe should improve the passing game, which should help the running game, but you've got to give him time. He reminds me a lot of Lynn Dickey (after all of Dickey's knee surgeries)
   By Lucius on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:35 pm:

It's the passing of the torch.

The young legs of Jones and Barber vs Ahman's tired ol' feet.
   By Minz on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:11 am:

That's why we keep a hearty 'Cane as a backup, one who's career average is 5.1 yards per carry. And he hasn't defecated in somebody's laundry basket for four years now...
   By Josh Rountree on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:14 am:

Having Jones healthy should make a world of difference.

It was painful last year to watch Eddie "One Yard and a Cloud of Dust" George.
   By Lucius on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:32 am:

Marion Barber was a good pick, and if Jones should go down, the Boys will be all right.

Minz, no knock against Najeh here. I think the Pack's stoopid not to use him more.
   By minz on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:00 am:

The thing is, as good as Najeh is, Ahman Green is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. And that's the one thing Najeh doesn't have: World-Class Speed. The last time Ahman ran in the NFL's fastest man competition, he took third. While weighing 225 pounds (outweighing the rest of the field by 40+ pounds). Unlike most of these track guys, he's a football player who just happens to have ridiculous jets. And a penchant to sweat alot and drop a lot of footballs in September and early Oct. (He's lost 3 post-Halloween fumbles in his entire career...and waaay to many pre-Halloween.) Since 2000, nobody in the league has put up more yards from scrimmage, nor more rushing yards. Tough to justify giving his backup too much playing time.

But this may be the year Najeh gets to show more of his stuff. Ahman is getting old for an RB. It'll be interesting to see if he can be one of those rarest of RBs--one that can perform once he hits 30 (He's actually only 28, but he is an old 28)
   By Lucius on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:08 am:

Ahman may be fast, but Najeh was a better football player in college and--I suspect--remains so.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 07:23 am:   

Ah, Brett Farve on Cold Pizza. I must watch!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Brett Farve, Clairvoyant!

"There was a time I looked far into the future..."

"I have sensitive teeth...."

"They asked me to come up here and do an educational program for sensitive teeth...."

"Cold stuff bothers my teeth...like ice cream. It gives me a headache, too, when I eat it too fast..."

"in my opinion it's wrong..." (On Javon Walker)

"What some of those guys don't realize, they set out a year, they don't get paid, and then they're a year older..." :-)

"They don't realize that they alienate the team....When he comes back, there's gonna be no hard feelings."

Gems!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 09:14 am:   

Come on, Minz. I know you're out there. :-) You too, Klima.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:06 am:   

Clairvoyant, sensitive, and deep. Oh, and good at math word problems. "If a player is 32-years-old and he sits out one year..."

That's our fearless leader. Of course, you don't have to be too smart to play sports. Bradshaw is living proof of that.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

Yeah, simple addition's apparently within Brett's scope...Can't call him dumb.

It was priceless! :-) :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

Wait...you sit out a year yet you still age??

That hardly seems fair.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

Yup, Josh....

It was the kind of interview only Brett Farve could do.... :-)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

I'm still marvelling at the set of balls that the Bucks organization grew in the off season. Wondering if they can loan them to the Packers and get some people re-signed.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   

Ty Law's out there....Be a cure for the secondary.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:54 am:   

I think Law would help the secondary, if he could be convinced to move over to free safety. But I don't know if he'd be willing to make that move, and more importantly, I don't think the Packers can afford him.

I think we're going to be fine at cornerback. Al Harris is going to have a great season in Bates' aggressive bump-and-run defense, and Joey Thomas is coming on strong (he was the second-round pick last season--and has been getting rave reviews at minicamps after spending all of offseason in GB). Ahman Carroll will be fine as the nickel back. Obvsiously, safety is an issue, but we've brought in a number of guys; we'll see.

But regardless of where Ty Law ends up, I think his days as a dominant corner are over. If he can make the switch to FS, I think it could extend his career, and I think even his diminished athleticism would be more than enough for the position.

But, yeah, those Bucks did exactly what they needed to do with the offseason (short of signing Flip Saunders as coach). Player personnel couldn't have gone better.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

I don't thik you're right. I think he's still a dominant player and will prove it this year, maybe back with NE--some reports have him heading back there.

You __think__ Law would help the secondary? I think Adam Sandler could help your secondary. :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

Depends, Adam Sandler from Water Boy, or Adam Sandler from Little Nicky?

And yes, I am a thinking man, and football is a thinking man's game...I think.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

Adam Sandler from The Longest Yard. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:39 am:   

At least it wasn't fucking Opera Man, I hated that fucking dude.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Brett Farve on NFL live this PM. Be there or be...smart.....

The early Adam Sandler could have never played for the pack... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

I heard Green Bay was going to draft Canteen Boy. :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

Better than trading a pick to move up in the third round to draft . . . a punter!

Have I mentioned how glad I am that Sherman is no longer the GM? I think he's a good coach, and the removal of the GM headaches and dual situation will help--I'm hoping significantly. He only has to worry about working with the guys on the field. It'll be especially useful if we have any holdouts. Between Javon Walker, Grady Jackson & Bubba Franks, the only one I'm really worried about is Bubba. He's the only one who feels personally dissed. The first two are agent-based BS.

TWO WEEKS, gentlemen. TWO WEEKS. Almost there...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

And the pain begins....Packer Woe!

Shanahan's either a genius or the biggest idiot ever. Here's a vote for the latter.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   

Brett needs to shut the fuck up about Walker -- he just did about fifteen minutes on him, and IMO he's driving Walker deeper into Drew Rosenhaus's arms. He hasn't talked to Walker himself and he needed to do that before it got started.

Barth
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   

Bum Phillips is gonna make it through triple bypass surgery, which makes me happy. I spent two football seasons in Texas listening to his color commentary on CBS radio for Monday Night Football while I worked a produce job in the early nineties - and it was sublime. I mean, surreal sublime, like Dada poetry or Burroughs' cut-ups. Bum was commenting alongside Greg Gumbel, I think, whose play-by-play was competent and uninspired. But then Bum would chime in with something that, frankly, seemed inspired by god. I was usually trimming lettuce with a bass player who was stoned most of his shifts, and the dude would come and sit on the prep bench and he'd howl with Cheech and Chong glee at Bum's comments - which were *always* followed by long, astonished pauses from Gumbel. I can't even do em justice, but suffice to say, Bum was on his own freaked out, blessed frequency - and I'm glad he's doing ok.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:36 am:   

Bum and Earl Campbell were the reasons why I was a big time Oilers fan growing up (along with the fact that I needed someone with an honest shot at the playoffs to root for in the last month of the season). I loved his post-game press conferences, on those rare occassions they were aired in WI. And the NFL film clips of him on the sidelines: Priceless.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

This just in: the TSN training camp special says Jim Bate will have the same effect on the Packers d as Gunter Cunningham had on Kansas City's. To wit, Zero......

:-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

Bum was hilarious on the radio. You're right, Barth. He was more entertaining than the game itself. It sounded like they got the old man from the filling station down the road to call the game. Priceless.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   

Dolphins picked up Manny Wright, the huge, quicl SC nose tackle in the 5th round of the supplemental draft.....

Steal!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   

Now Farve is threatening to call Rosenhaus. Someone has to tell this guy he's Dean Rusk and get him to shut up...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   

he's NOT Dean Rusk...

Minz
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:02 am:   

I actually am quite happy that Rosenhaus was stupid enough to engage in a war of words with Brett Favre. If he'd have half a brain, he'd have completely ignored Favre--an agent arguing with team management isn't heavy news, and neither side gets much sympathy. Arguing publicly with a beloved Hall of Fame QB can only hurt Rosenhaus.

And it was Rosenhaus who was responding to Brett in the first place, saying Brett should talk to him, that he doesn't know all the facts (and you could actually see the greed in his eyes, like he thinks he could convince Favre not only to back Javon's holdout, but convince him to change agents if only he could get Brett on the phone.)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

He's not interested in Farve....Pshaw. The fact is, Farve should keep his fucking mouth shut about his teammates. His receivers have been making him look good--they were responsible for that game after his daddy died, and he should think about that.

Brett doesn't know all the facts....

Whoda thunk it?

Minz
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

Fact: Javon Walker signed a contract that pays him to play a game. There are two more years remaining on the contract.

What other fact am I missing?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   

Does Brett know that? :-)

I'm not saying it;s right, just that it would be better if Farve kept his mouth off it, because Ithink he's driving a wedge between the pack and walker. From a personal standpoint, I'd like walker playing somewhere else, so I hope Farve keeps yapping...but from your standpoint, I'd be praying for Farve to shut it, because without Walker....Gonna be a bad scene.

Minz
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:00 am:   

In the court of public opinion, I think this helps the Packers and hurts Rosenhaus. Most fans will side with Brett over Rosenhaus, whereas a dispute between management and agent is a lose-lose. But the very real chance for a major schism between Brett & Javon (and Brett alienating the rest of the team) is definitely a cause for concern. I just wish it were a defensive player Brett was harping about--though I think Javon needs Brett more than the other way around.

In the end, I have just one hope. The Packers stand absolutely firm on this, no trades, no deals, until Rosenhaus is crawling on his belly like the lowdown snake he is. I want Walker to fire Rosenhaus, and then the Packers to give him the fat contract he deserves (though slightly below market, in recognition that it's being done two years early.)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 07:38 am:   

Public opinion doesn't mean shit except to the public--it doesn't bother Rosenhaus-he's used to playing the villain. I;m just a big believer in shutting up when a man's business is involved--you've got to let him work it out and hope for the best.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 07:53 am:   

On a lighter note, former Redskins QB Heath Shuler announces plans to run for Congress as a Democrat in North Carolina's 11th District.

Any snappy campaign slogan ideas?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:47 am:   

"He can't beat the Cowboys, but he can beat high taxes!"

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

Heath Shuler...

couldn't cut it the NFL....

Lets put him to work on world peace....

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   

Can't pass a football, but, brother, can he pass a bill!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:55 am:   

Terrell Owens compared self to Jesus -- I can't recall the precise words, but it was something about how people hated on Jesus, they threw stones and tried to kill him, so how could he worry about what people did and said.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Yeah, but after the Wedding at Cana, J.C. didn't go hide out, waiting for God to renegotiate the terms of the Passion.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

Yeah, but he didn't have Rosenhaus for an agent,

And they didn't TRY to kill JC...

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

Well, oddly in tune with the current discussion:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2111853

He has power over life and death, both literally, and figuratively (potentially controlling the fate of Packers via Javon Walker and Grady Jackson).

I still hate the guy, and hope NFL teams start boycotting him, so he can spend more time around pools, saving lives. A much better use of his time.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

Yeah, I saw that on TV this AM.

It's nice he saved the kid, but yeah he's a drag. But I love him agenting TO 'cause I hate the eagles.....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:17 am:   

Speaking of saviors...

Jerry Jones announced yesterday that Aikman, Smith & Irvin will be inducted into the Cowboy Ring of Honor this fall.

Minz, if you want to fly down for the ceremony I can pick you up at the Dallas airport. I even have an extra pair of lizard skin boots and a full-length chinchilla coat you can borrow. You'll have to bring your own bling, though.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

Josh, that's a very sweet offer, but if you ain't got that bling, you ain't got that swing...

But I can offer some sound advice if you're going. Tidy Bowl is quite useful for removing those unsightly stains from around the rim of any bowl, even Gawd's Own Toilet Bowl.

Of course, they do deserve the honors. At least as much this year's inductees into the GB Hall of Fame: Edgar Bennett & The Majik Man. As you know, Josh, the GB HoF is distinct from the names on the ring of the bowl of Lambeau, which is reserved for only those four (soon to be five when Reggie joins them this Sep 27th) men whose numbers have been retired--wouldn't be enough room on the bowl if we restricted it to just the NFL Hall of Famers, what with 20 and counting. (As opposed to the 130 men in the Packers HoF.)

Obviously, Smith is a shoo-in for NFL HoF. Aikman and Irvin should have a pretty good shot, but I'll be curious as to whether it happens. They might not make it--with today's mickey mouse defenses giving up ridiculous stats, Troy & Irvin's numbers will lose a lot of luster. I actually think Troy will get in fairly easily. Obviously Emmit. Nate Newton's very likely. Larry Allen only played for one SB winner. Irvin's off-field shenanigans might cost him. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the line.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   

Well, here's the official word: Walker plans to hold out:
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/342381.asp

What's interesting is this (clipped from linked article):
"One option for Thompson is to recoup part of a $1.3 million option bonus paid to Walker in 2003. According to a source with knowledge of Walker's contract, the Packers can declare the receiver in violation of his contract if he misses any part of training camp and seek to have one-fourth of the bonus returned."

So, 1/4 of 1.3 mil is $325,000. And with a fine of 5000/day, and 39 days of practice and exhibition games before the first game of the year, plus the four-day mandatory minicamp he skipped, if Javon holds out until the very first game then skulks onto the bench in order to try and collect that first game check, then mopes there on the bench for the entire season, he'd end the season still owing the Packers $25000 (his entire $515,000 salary being inadequate to pay his fines and forfeiture).

Oh, and now Bart Starr, Hall of Fame QB and three time NFL Championship game MVP, has backed up Brett Favre, saying he's being a strong leader in a time where the "I/me" attitude is running rampant. I love that Rosenhaus isn't in a PR war with a team, but rather two beloved Hall of Fame QBs.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

Obviously, Walker's holdout isn't good for the Packers, but I'm so sick of Rosenhaus, I'm willing to live with it as long as that prick is forced to crawl on his belly...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

I can only applaud Javon's decision and hope he sticks to his guns. God bless he and Mr. Rosenhaus. They give me reason to believe that this world is a world of goodness and sweet hope.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   

Let's just hope he keeps TO out of camp too.

If he does, he's my hero.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

Oh yeah! The iggles are even worse the pack....and that's really bad! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 05:50 am:   

Joe Banner of the Iggles just threw a torch on the TO situation, basically calling TO an idiot. I think that TO is now going to miss games. You go, Joe....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:20 am:   

The radio reported the latest statement from TO this morning. I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist was: I don't HAVE to play for the Eagles next year. If they don't want to pay me what I want, then they need to start looking for a trade.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

Yeah, he suggested several t eams that he would accept a trade to. Way I hear it, the Iggles are gonna let him sit --which is a mistake, because he's gonna be a nightmare when he comes in, so it's all good... :-)

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Why not trade Javon for TO? :-)

JK

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

I agree. What a great idea! Let's make TO a packer....He'll fit right in!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

And he can be the northern version of Deion and play Cornerback as well!

JK

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

Yeah, and once they fire Sherman, he can coach the team.... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

The Dallas Cowboys start training camp one week from today.

Amen.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Why do pro teams bother with contracts, when players who have decent seasons are constantly demanding to renegotiate? Doesn't this defeat the whole "contract" concept?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   

Well, wait and see what happens, Dave. I doubt very much if the Eagles or the Pack will budge. I know the Eagle won;t. GB has a different thing--tthey have a teensy window with Favre before Aaron Rodgers' stewardship leads the team into the depths of decline, so they need Walker in camp.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   

BTW, a couple of years ago when i was saying TO represented the worst of the NFL, who was it defending him? Minz, wasn't it you?

Minz
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

I wasn't defending him, per se, merely his right to dance on the Dallas Star in Gawd's Own Toilet Bowl. Big difference. Even I thought the sharpie thing was too much. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

Yeah, you're backing down now, aren'tcha? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   

We have a feetball game in two weeks! Ok, it's not much of a feetball game (Browns-Fins), but....two weeks!!!!

Anonymous IV
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:30 pm:   

Er... that would be the Packer-killing-Bears vs the Fins. Even better!!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   

I must have misread! Oh well. We're just lucky it's not the Pack and we get to hear all about Farve's courage in face of his great aunt's hemarrhoidectomy.....

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

Before we go too far down Revisionist History Lane, even as I was defending some of TO's onfield antics (pointing out how I liked the pompom thing--done against my beloved Packers, and the Dallas Star dance), I completely decried the bullshit he pulled on Baltimore last year, and heartily hoped Ray-Ray was going to get a chance to show him a little love on a crossing route. I never defended his off-the field crap, just his onfield joie de vivre.

But on to more important matters--I'll actually be at Lambeau on Fri, Aug 5th in order to watch the Packers scrimmage against the Bills. Yeah, it's just a glorified practice, but football in Lambeau. There is nothing better. (even if it'll be a good 70+ degrees too warm).

A shame WFC isn't around one of the Gold Package games, or I'd hit up my dad for a handful of his seats and take y'all to the mecca of football.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

You made the point, Minz, or maybe it wasn't you, that TO had committed no crime, but I said there are worse things than felonies.

A pox on the mecca of football. But I would like to visit Lambeau. Looks like a great place to urinate. :-)

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Lucius, if ever I get to drag you to Lambeau, it shall be like the conversion of Saul, and you shall be struck blind by a great light from above, knocking you from atop your horse. And you shall thereafter spread the word of the gospels of Curly, Vince, Wolf & Holmgren across all the land.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:07 am:   

Maybe so, but I'll still have a piss! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 05:49 am:   

Bad news for Packer fans. Detroit looks to have the inside track on Ty Law. If Detroit can solidify their secondary, and sometimes one player can do that, the packer are gonna be pushed to finish second in their division.....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:33 am:   

And more bad news....well it's not news, exactly. Mike Sherman was picked as the coach most likely not to have a job next year. Coincidentally, the next three in line were also named Mike -- Martz, Holmgren, and Tice.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:54 am:   

Not that I care about this, being a Cardinals fan and all, but the hearts are all aflutter in Cleveland about the receiving corps...aparently in addition to the four somewhat known quantities (Bryant, Northcutt, Davis and Edwards) they four a few undrafted rooks who will be in camp including this kid who was the QB at Kent State who is supposed to be very tough.

Of course, this would be better news to a team with an offensive line or a QB.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:02 am:   

Oh you care! You're foolin' no one. Whilest your affection for the cards is no doubt genuine (same as how I developed my Dallas thing), should the Browns win three in a row, you'll be front and center wigglin' all your brown and orange geegaws.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

It's all relative, of course. I don't care, relatively...Last year I would've celebrated one in a row. Now I'm tougher...it'll take at least three...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

Hopefully Bryant will keep his head on straight.

How's his behavior been since he moved to Cleveland?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

Pretty good, I think...I haven't heard anything bad, but he's one of those guys who could walk into church and sit next to the wrong guys and get into something.

Admittedly, he made some of his own trouble, but one of the big incidents that got him at Pitt was this alleged use of a stolen credit card and it turned out that the people running the event he'd been invited to had stolen the credit card.

But, anyway, so far, so good.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   

Yeah, well. you're probably safe. Three in a row....it's been awhile. But next year....

Pre-Season picks.....
Rams (next year, The Cards
Carolina
Philly
Minnnesota

WC -- Atlanta/Detroit

Oakland
Baltimore
Indy
NE

WC -- Jets, Pittsburgh

Super Bowl -- Baltimore v Minnesota

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

Pre season picks:

NFC
Eagles
Vikings
Falcons
Cardinals

Wild Card: Dallas / Green Bay

AFC
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Chargers

Wild Card: Raiders / Jets

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Anybody else?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

Now that the plague has driven the Cardinals out of their training camp....is this an omen?

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:46 am:   

Okay...

Eagles
Vikings
Panthers
Cardinals

Cowboys, Falcons

Patriots
Steelers
Jaguars
Chargers

Bills, Bengals

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:50 am:   

Omen? I'll let Dennis speak to that...

"We came up on a situation where we had to respond,"Green said. "In football, you can't sit around and cry about it. Time moves on. Nobody's going to say to the Arizona Cardinals, 'Too bad.'"

Training camp is "three hots and a cot and a whole lot of football," the coach said.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

Oh, I forgot to add my SB pick...Steelers over Panthers

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

Eagles
PACKERS!!!
Panthers
Seahawks

Cowboys, Cardinals

Pats
Ravens
Colts
Chiefs

Bills, BROWNS!!! (Why not?)

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

I see that the sublimely silly ex-Saint Ricky Williams is now back with the team of my young-'un days, the Dolphins, and has issued an apology to the Miami fans. Since no members of my football troika (New Orleans, Miami, and Cleveland) look to do anything particularly impressive on the playing field this year, at least the return of the Ricky/Margaritavilla soap opera should provide some late summer/fall entertainment.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

Andrew? You're a fan of both the Browns and the Saints? Wow. That's mettle.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

You're leaving out the Aints, Deborah. The Brownies, the Fins, and the Aints. Andy gets a gold star.

Minz, your Browns pick's not as dumb as your pack pick...

I'm just not a believer in Kurt Warner.

If I had Dennis' ear, I'd say, Too bad, just so as to mess him up.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

I said "Browns *and* Saints" and expressed my awe.

Gold star is right.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Sorry I'm dyslexic this morning. I meant to say the Dolphins, cause they've been no prize of late.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

Well, yeah, but they have been known to win the odd close game over the decades...

No comment on my picks though, huh? Even the SB pick?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:14 am:   

I'm thinking their not crazy. The Jags pick is interesting, and quite possibly accurate. I don't like the steelers pick. Absent Plexiglass and with Hines Ward holding out, Big Ben may be in for a rougher ride--but my Ravens pick is based on Boller stepping up, so....

Panthers is a reasonable pick. I have them losing to Minne but it could go the other way...and so much depends upon Eric Shelton, the rookie rb, having a big year. It's all a lot of supposition, but right now we're as smart as anybody.....

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

Well, I kinda like the Steelers, too. They might do a wee bit better than the Dolph-Brown-Saints this year.

I spent many a childhood Sunday afternoon with my dad at our cousins' apartment, watching Dolphins games and Browns games (and being quietly bored out of my skull -- thank heavens my cousin Joe had plenty of beat-up old copies of Marvel Tales sitting in the bin next to the crapper, or I might've hurled myself off their balcony onto N.E. Sixth Avenue). That whole side of my family hails from Cleveland. So it's a sentimental kind of thing, Deborah. I fondly associate both Browns and Dolphins football with crushing boredom, ennui, and Spider-Man comics.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:23 am:   

"crushing boredom, ennui, and Spider-Man comics."

That sounds about right.

And speaking of ennui, my picks are based in part on the fact that I am so bored with NE, Indy and Philly that I shall weep if I have to see any of them dancing in the post-season. Damn, let's have some new drama. That too much to ask?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Well, it would be too easy to pick the Patriots, so I'll make the following Super Bowl prediction:

Chargers over Vikes

That should draw some cries of derision. I just have a good feeling about the Chargers. Tomlinson is one of the best backs in the game and I think Brees will continue to play well with Rivers waiting in the wings. Add Antonio Gates to the equation and they'll score a ton of points. We'll see how the defense does.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

Well. Sean Merriman's not helpin their D. Boy, am I glad the cowboys didn't take him.

Deborah, but you couldn't not pick the pats, huh? I agree with the ennui mindset, but more than that, I want a couple of Mannings to die.

I wish I'd picked the Jags. More I think about it, that's a good pick.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

Oh, they'll be a factor. To my mind, the real interesting AFC question is whether this will be one of those freakish years when Cinci's talent manages to overcome the RiverCity jinx. They are loaded, but they've been loaded so often and found ways to lose anyway...they could shake things up anyway. Ditto the Bills. The Bills could be a surprise with McGahee, but Losman is going to have to be pushed.

Carolina should have an awesome defense, and as L says, Shelton will be a key there.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:12 am:   

Buffalo's going nowhere. Losman may be the future, but he ain't the present.

I don't trust CPalm at QB. He's okay, but nutting special, I feel. I also think there running gane is a bit suspect.

Carolina's d plus Shelton -- That explains my Baltimore pick. J Lewis, a heathy Todd Heath, Derrick Mason, if Boller's got anything, they can win.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:22 am:   

You know I'm incapable of picking Baltimore for anything, right?

But, yeah, I probably shoulda picked Indy and Baltimore as WCs...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Yeah, I feel yr pain, but post-Modell, it's easier to take. A little.

Baltimore for the Apocalypse Bowl? You'd pick that, right?

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

For the SB: Eagles over the original Baltimore carpetbaggers--the ones that abandoned Baltimore, the Colts.

Ah, screw that. Packers over the Colts! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

I think the eagles are gonna be T(K)Oed

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:07 am:   

"I want a couple of Mannings to die."

I'll take your two Mannings and raise you three Bowdens.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:09 am:   

Well, that one guy showed up at the Packers' training camp. What was his name again? Walker or something?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:17 am:   

Did Walker show up? Wow. Well, there's still no Grady Jackson, so there's still hope....

Bowdens are good, but as long as they keep Terry off the air, I'll be happy....

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

More good news for Browns' fans...one of the Sporting News guys projects the Browns could have the number one pick overall in the 2006 draft.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 08:48 am:   

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-mcdougleshot

Holy crap!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

I hear the Boys sighed Ware and Spears...

One thing bothers me. I keep hearing Julius Jones being referred to as "the great Julius Jones..." I think the very promising JJ would be more appropriate.....Great is Emmit. It's early for JJ.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

Deborah, I predicted a top 3 pick for the Browns some time ago. I'm backing off that some--I'm hoping Crennel will keep them from falling apart. Top ten for sure.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

I agree. Julius has done nothing but run people over and score touchdowns, but he only did it for 8 games. Let's hope he keeps it up for a few more years...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:02 am:   

Definitely. But like you said, 8 games and he's yet to prove he can stay healthy. I'm pulling for him. as much as I can for an ex-Golden Domer, but it's a long walk yet to great.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 05:57 am:   

II just heard a interview with Eli Manning. I am delighted to report that he's a stone idiot. I think he'll be better this year, a little, but I don't believe he'll ever be Peyton.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

Misc. reports from Cowboy camp:

-Anthony Henry is playing lights out at CB.
-Rookie Safety Beriault is making himself known
-Ware and Canty are FAST from the 3/4 DE position.
-TE depth is becoming an issue with injuries to Campbell and Ryan. But both are expected back in some capacity soon.
-Offensive line is starting to shape up
-Rookie RB Tyson Thompson is FAST with great moves in the open field. Hopefully he can make the roster with his special teams play.
-Henson is sucking big time. Tony Romo is on pace to be the #2 guy at this point. Henson will have to make a dramatic turnaround to unseat him.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

How's Spears working out?

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

Haven't heard anything positive or negative yet, but he's been lining up part of the time with the first team defense. The 3/4 line is shaping up with he and Ellis at DE, Ferguson at NT.

The weird thing is, Glover is a ProBowl tackle but there's no real place for him in this scheme. He'll play on the line anytime there is a four man front and in some cases, Parcells says he'll line him up at NT. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:33 am:   

Well, if he's first team, he muts be doing something right. Yeah, it should be good.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Todd Pinkston is out for the year--ruptured Achilles tendon.

I hate to exult over injuries, but whatever keeps the Iggles unhappy....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

Arrghhh!! This report just in from Cowboy camp...

The Cowboys might have lost first-round pick Marcus Spears for a significant period of time.
The rookie defensive end was carted off the field during Friday morning's practice after suffering knee, ankle and groin injuries while trying to make a tackle during team drills.
"We'll MRI and X-ray it," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "but it wasn't good."
Spears, who signed a five-year, $9.35 million deal with $6.7 million guaranteed last Saturday, got tangled up in a pile during a run by Anthony Thomas in team drills. He tried to get up on his own but couldn't put any weight on his right leg, and two teammates eventually helped him to the sideline.
After trying to walk off the injury, Spears limped across the field to the training table and got his leg examined by team trainers. He then was carted back to the club's locker room, clutching his leg with a mixture of pain and disappointment on his face.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:55 pm:   

Fuck!

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 02:54 pm:   

Yup.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:00 pm:   

Word is that with Dilfer at QB, the Browns are going to exercise more play-action in their offense.....

wow.

Laird
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 06:00 pm:   

"Arrghhh!! This report just in from Cowboy camp..."

Uh-huh. I pretty much keep track of training camp and preseason by peeking between my fingers.

Laird

RaiderJenni
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   

Raider fan Jenni in the house, to tout the Silver & Black Attack -- RAY-DURS! We bad and we're ready to kick some Super Bowl butt in the regular season opener. What do you say, Pats-y cake fans?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:38 am:   

Get a defense.... :-)

Word is that Spears is going to be out four weeks, which is bad, yet still rates a whew.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 06:11 am:   

Yeah, I was relieved to hear that. It makes the whole transition to the 3/4 a bit more difficult, but apparently Kenyon Coleman is playing lights out at DE. Word is, he was a passable 4/3 end but he looks really good in the 3/4.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 07:22 am:   

Good news, but the best news--Eagles in disarray! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 07:35 am:   

Jets sign Ty Law -- That could pu t the jets over...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

Giants are very pleased, apparently, with former Auburn back Brandon Jacobs, who might finally give them the big short yardage runner we hoped Ron Dayne would be. Who knows? Maybe Eli won't have to throw for third-and-one this year...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

Maybe Eli won't survive raining camp. That what happens in my dream.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:31 am:   

"the best news--Eagles in disarray!"

Yeah, but that's a given. ;)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:16 am:   

But Lucius, this is the season of Manning Bowl...Giants vs. Colts for all the marbles...Are you feeling it?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Sorry, Dave. That's your dream.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

"Get a defense...." good answer, Lucius. Every year, that's my hope. At least Woodson doesn't seem to be playing the prima donna (so far). Unlike a certain Eagles WR. (Although I don't wish injury on anybody.)

I'm also hoping the Raiders will have a running game this year. And that Collins will stop throwing more interceptions than completions. And....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   

Yeah, yeah, yeah...:-)

Well, if the switch to the three-four goes well, maybe they'll improve on D.

As to a running game, I don't know. These back-up RBs that get thrust into starting jobs, they don't generally have a good history -- see Troy Hambrick, etc. But who knows, Jordan might come through. I see the Raiders making the playoffs and going out early.

RaiderJenni
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   

They didn't get the three-four last year, maybe it'll sink in this year. And if they would lose the pre-vent defense -- it only prevents them from winning.

Jordan's supposed to be a winner; and my man Zack Crockett is expected to see action and get those short yardage downs (and TDs).

Who's your big money on this year? Another Pats repeat? I'd like to see the Colts get there. It's their turn. I'm a major McNair fan, and would love to see him go, but I don't think he has the team to take him this year. (My football fantasy: trade Collins for McNair, and he and the Raiders go.... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   

Well, being a Fla boy, I hate all things Manning, so I like the Pats, the Jets, or the Ravens, and I'm looking at the Vikings and the Panthers. I really defense, so I'm going with the Raven over the Vikes....What the hell. My fantasy--Browns win, Browns win.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

Erasmus James signed with the Vikes, a seven year deal.....'

Another BADger that got away....

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

The Bears were offensive last night!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

As were the 'fins. At least the Bears scored once when it counted.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

Report from the front: not that the starters are all that, but the backups on the Packers D would have a hard time performing against topnotch Div 1 offenses. Embarassing.

Rodgers was up-and-down, which is to be expected. Actually, his biggest problems were dropped balls and absolutely no protection up front. Definitely lacking depth on the OL (though Buffalo did throw a shitload of blitzes at him--17 of 21 dropbacks--and of course, we didn't gameplan at all, so i'm not worried about that...at least not yet.)

Surprises:
Mike Hawkins, 5th round pick who only played five games for OK before walking out because of coaches, can flatout play. 6'1", legit 4.3 speed. He's raw, but he's got game. He'll be a starter before the end of the season, and if he has any kind of a learning curve, he could be THE STEAL of the draft. (Yes, I'm a homer, but he's got the whole friggin package physically. Real deal all the way. Of course, he's a potential headcase washout, but someone worth watching.)

Nick Collins was promoted to starting FS!! Huh? The guy absolutely stunk at the scrimmage, especially during drills, where in seven-on-seven, he was burned five of six straight plays (they didn't throw at him on one of the plays--not that he had the TE covered, but the QB just didn't see it). But he's young, and has a lot to learn. Maybe the coaches are seeing something I'm missing. But man, he looked BAAAD at the scrimmage. I'm not writing him off yet--there's still five weeks for this kid to get up to speed, but I'm officially worried at the moment.

Coleman Coles, DT. Kid was all over the field. He looks like a comer. But he could just've been the beneficiary of uninterested vet OL. It was just a scrimmage, and in the trenches, you just don't know what you've got until the bullets start flying.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   

San Diego-GB on Thurs. Any game could be Farve's last. Go bolts!

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:26 pm:   

Can you feel the love tonight... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

U betcha! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:38 am:   

New Thread below

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register