London Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » London « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

What will be interesting, at least to me, will be the differences between how the Bush admin pursued Bin Lauden and how the Blair govt goes after Al Qaeda, and what they do to British individual rights contrasted to the what Bush/Ashcroft/Gonzales have done/are doing. However you view it, it will be interesting.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:04 am:   

My guess is that the culture shock won't be so jarring there. England has prior experience with terror via the IRA, and London is already one of the most heavily-surveiled cities on earth. I imagine the public outcry will be less.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:49 am:   

I don't know. Al Qaeda has a different emotional valence than the IRA, I think...But maybe so.

PM
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

It's a sad day for London...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 03:17 am:   

Much of the commentary is suggesting that AQ is more a concept or a cause than an actual existing organism. After the training camps it has spread and mutated and is caught by others along the way. There are, of course, qestions being asked about the security services, but when there is no definable group, per se, it's hard to monitor and track.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

Yeah, AQ is the demon name applied -- I was speaking in that context.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register