Good Movies 14 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 14 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   

By MarcL on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 01:09 am:

Just watched Lamerica...thanks for the rec, it is a great movie, haunting as hell. Reminded me a bit of Time of the Gypsies. I read a book years ago about Gypsies in Albania; maybe that's partly why.

Would you like a subscription to Cat Fancier to go with that copy of Leolo?
   By Marguerite on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:53 am:

Probably James Fenimore Cooper. Or earlier. The term magic negro, of course, refers to any literary character who's vaulted above humanity and yet is the member of a previously (partially) despised people.
   By Lucius on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:21 am:

Yep....Cooper would be a good bet. Thanks.

Marc, I would love a subscription to Cat Fancier...does it still come with the sucide kit?

There are image in Lamerica that have stuck with me. That t errible desolate bar where they're watching an Italian game show; the moonscape of Albania as seen from the truck, etc.
   By MarcL on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:02 am:

It occurs to me that the greatest movies I've seen in the last few years tend to include scenes involving trucks crammed with people travelling through desolate landscapes. This seems to sum up the experience of modern life for vast numbers of people.

Oh yeah, the bar...that was quite an image.
   By JV on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:26 am:

Marc L:

And even of yester-year--if you include The Sorceror with Rob Scheider (sic?).

jeffV
   By jv on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:27 am:

Roy

jv
   By Lucius on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:36 am:

Wages of Fear....yes!
   By JV on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:49 am:

Unfortunately, I've only seen the remake. Although Wages of Fear is on my list to see. I understand it's ten times better than Sorceror.

JeffV
   By Lucius on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:03 am:

It;s pretty great! But Sorceror is way better than average remake...
   By MarcL on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:37 am:

Interesting article about Cruise...he'll certainly have the funds to do a Howard Hughes.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2121617/fr/rss/

I love Wages of Fear and Sorcerer. It's a faithful and powerful remake, but the original is much better. Keep meaning to pick up the Criterion edition. I hope Criterion restored the part where Rob Schneider watches the TNT-laden truck driving across the rope bridges and shouts out, "You can do eet!"

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 08:56 pm:   

I saw PUSHER tonight, a tough little Danish film about, drum roll, a dope dealer. It was terrific neo-realist stuff, violent, profane, and tense.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 05:25 am:   

I;m looking for the name of a movie. It's a Swedish film, a black comedy concerning a postman who's not exactly committed to his job. He throws away the junk mail. Occasionally reads mail. He gets involved with a woman on his route who has tried to drown herself in the bathtub. It's a very good movie, but I can't recall the name. Sound familiar to anyone?

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:06 am:   

Marc L:

intresting movie star conflation there. The idea of Rob Schneider, and not Roy Scheider, in SORCERER...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Chief Brody! Fightin' sharks! The Shark-inator! Shark-ille O'Neal! :-)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

Hey Lucius, it sounds like you're thinking of Junk Mail. (directed by Pal Slateun or something like that.) The karaoke scene alone makes it worth watching, if my addled wits serve me right...

IMDB spells it Pål Sletaune

minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

It's orig title is Budbringeren

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:31 am:   

Yes! Thanks Minz. Much appreciated.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

Just finished Millennium, season two. Mental note: Do not bother with anything involving X-Files alumni. Same shit all over again. I want incoherent conspiracy bullshit, I'll read usenet. That ending took some balls, I will admit. I can't figure out how there can be a season three, let alone how it could possibly be any good.

Wages of Fear. If anyone was planning on picking up the Criterion dvd, hold off. They've just taken it out of print, and will be releasing a hoopty edition towards the end of the year, as they did with M last year.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

Jason, send me that clean copy of viator, please....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

Just read that CINDERELLA MAN is flopping so badly at the box that AMC is giving moviegoers a "money back guarantee" on the movie. Man, that's bad.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:22 am:   

There goes the boxing movie boomlet

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

Damn it! Just as I was finishing my draft of WHEREVER, WHENEVER: THE MOUSE STRAUSS STORY.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:09 am:   

Rocky has to rethink his Hatchetman Shepard piece.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

And my Leon Spinks biopic: FREAKY DEKE: THE MAN WHO BEAT ALI is now in permanent turnaround.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

I was reading the blurbs on the Cinderalla Man poster last night and laughing. Is there any film that goes out lacking a blurb that says essentially, "One of the best movies of all time!"? "The best movie of the year so far. By far." Of course, I'd just sat through Herbie:Fully Loaded, so I can't argue with those reviews. (I sat through but did not watch it. Thank god for handheld videogames.)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

NSB: Season 3 collapses. They basically ignore the ending of Season 2--there are no far-reaching ramifications except for Frank Black's immediate family, and the fact that he has become the implacable enemy of his previous allies. Still...that ending...I saw it when it first ran, and I was pretty much blown away.

Thanks for the warning re Wages of Fear. The only Criterion edition I've sprung for so far is Withnail & I. They're too damn pricy for something that I'll probably have to replace in the next iteration of film storage media. (Once it surpasses the resolution of film, I figure I can stop.)

Oh...Dark Water is now available in a U.S. release, Japanese with English subtitles. $15.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

And US remake with Jennifer Connelly, grrrrrrrrrrrrr...:-)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

If the US remake spurred wider availability for the original, then it had one positive side effect. No one's gonna make me watch the US version, but now I can easily introduce the Japanese version to friends. (Previous version I had was region coded.)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

I'm a big JC fan from back in the teenage t&a comedy days. I'll probably check it out.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   

Wasn't she in Requiem for Porky's?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 03:11 pm:   

I thing you're confusing that for Menage a Porkys....

Just saw the TC-Spielberg movie. The least they could have done was make a really bad movie...this is just the usual crumminess.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   

In an article on from Reuters.com, Spielberg said:

"Science fiction for me is a vacation, a vacation away from all the rules of narrative logic, a vacation away from physics and physical science.

"It just let's you leave all the rules behind and just kind of fly."

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

He doesn't do any of that. He just turns a holocaust into a message on responsible parenting.

PM
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:02 pm:   

Returning to Millenium Season 2, I just rolled on the floor to the episode "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me".

Part of the episode deals with a censor and the relationship between his values, his job, and his life. As he's reviewing material he's clearly struggling with writers who refuse to play by "the rules" and who use language which has to excised/changed.

And when he's at the strip bar and the stripper's privates are black barred it's hysterical.

It reminds us of the frequent sexual hypocrisy of those who would be moral guiding lights...

JTS
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 01:07 am:   

In regards to millennium season 3, I can certainly understand why they didn't pay much attention to the previous season.

Chris carter who was exec producer in season one was not able to do season 2 due to commitments to the x files, Morgan and Wong took over running the show and completely changed the show, adding conspiracy elements and paranormal elements, as well as completely messing with the interpersonal relationships within the show, all of this was done without the blessing of the creator.

So when chris came back for season three the show had only a passing resemblance to its former self.

Leaving the creator two choices, continue to do the story as it left off or try to return the show to its original vision. I can cerainly understand why they made the decision they did and I would certainly be pissed if I had created something only to have it changed from its original vision by outside forces.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 06:03 am:   

Actually, what happened was the show was cancelled early in the second season, and they just decided to go for it and end the world. Then, late in the season, they got renewed totally unexpectedly and were caught with their pants down. They couldn't continue the story as it stood and expect to go forward, so they tried to continue as if the second season never happened and it sucked. You act like Carter went into a monastery during the second season, cut himself off from Morgan and Wong....Not gonna happen. He may have turned his attention elsewhere, but as producer of a national show he's not going to surrender control and run away to a place where there are no telephones. And Morgan and Wong were scarcely outsiders, as both had worked with Carter on the X-files.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

What actually really happened was the actual Millennium group felt they were coming too close to the truth, and were forced to alter their plans and create a huge diversion. Morgan and Wong and Carter were all merely puppets in their evil scheme.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

You sniffed it out....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:50 am:   

Anybody know if FANTASTIC FOUR is going to have any redeeming features about it that might justify my spending $10 to see Jessica Alba in the bodysuit?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:06 am:   

It looks like a serious dog to me. I'm not wasting my time....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

Alba plus Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm could be worth a few chuckles on a rainy Sunday.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:31 am:   

To tell you the truth, it's looks as bad as the cheapo version done years before. But if movie star babes do it for you, man....Have a ball. They don't do it for me, not since I was 14 and there was Brigette Bardot...

PM
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   

Blame it on Bardot...Though that raises a good point ...What happens when it's been done whether written or filmed, discussed or sung?

The audience may become sated and then disinterested or angry and unsatisfied.

But the entertainment providers are usually trying to make a living and wish to continue to do so until they're kicked off the stage.

There's an undeniable disappointment over time for the audience when the inevitable faltering happens.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   

I'm too young for Bardot. Who did we have? Diane Keaton? Farrah?

PM
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   

Every generation has their Madonna...

Keaton and Farrah appeal to somewhat different instincts but certainly have had
fans...

Diana Riggs had a certain appeal for a time...

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 07:17 pm:   

Every generation has their Madonna...

Yeah, unfortunately. What, is Britney Spears one of my generation's Madonna?

Dave, Jessica Alba in a body suite will probably be one of the only redeeming features. I'd wait for video if at all. I'm not going to bother with Electra because I know it'll suck. Who cares who's in it?

PM
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   

Is the concept of the Fantastic Four irredeemable?

Or is it the certitude of what will be done to attempt to dollarize?

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 08:28 pm:   

I don't think it's the concept itself. Sure it's a bit dated, but they're the classic family of super heroes. I liked marvel comics as a kid, but I was more into X-Men and Spiderman. In the sixties Stan was breaking ground as far as super hero comics go, so I wouldn't blame the source material. It's all on Hollywood.

JTS
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 01:43 am:   

Personally I would like to see Lucius review Fantastic Four, that could be quite entertaining.

It could be an interesting challenge to lucius, try and watch every summer blockbuster movie and see if he's still able to keep his sanity.

In regards to millennium, I didn't know it was cancelled early, that would explain quite a bit. A lot of what I was saying was a reaction to what Chris said in an interview a while back in that he was disappointed a lot of the decisions regarding the direction the show took in the second season were made without him, including actually the hiring of morgan and wong in the first place.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 04:37 am:   

You couldn't drag me to FF...I've paid my dues. I saw War of the Worlds.

I'd take what carter said with a grain of salt. It's almost inconceivable that he wouldn't, as producer, know what was going on. And I know he had control over the hiring, so that's BS. Sounds to me like he was covering his ass.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

Okay, you win. I'll see Greg Araki's MYSTERIOUS SKIN instead. My friends loved the Heim book.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

That looks interesting, though Araki's past films haven't done much for me -- this time, maybe he'll make a movie than does more than announce his sexuality.....

Jörn Grote
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:59 am:   

Okay, maybe someone knows this movie I saw some years ago on TV. Never seen it again anywhere. My memory on this one is a little sketchy, but the story goes like that:

"The parents of a young japanese worker have died in a river in Iceland, and because of tradition he has to travel to the place where they have died and spread flowers there. At first he doesn't like the idea of leaving japan and work behind, but he still does and makes the voyage."

Hope the question doesn't bother anyone.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 06:58 am:   

Sounds vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

GabrielM
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:05 pm:   

Cold Fever

Jörn Grote
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   

Many, many thanks, I looked it up in the imdb, that's the movie.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 05:54 am:   

Looks like an interesting film. Another Icelandic film I'd recommend is Noi, which is about, basically, a bored teenager.

Saw Ratas, Ratones, y Rateros last night. A film by a guy maned Cordero who's just released a film I plan to see called Cronicas, starring John Leguizamo. Ratas is a powerful look at the underbelly of Quito. Great stuff. Maybe the best thing about this very good movie is the soundtrack, which is heavy on Latin punk and ska.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   

And, just saw the screener for Chronicas. Not as good as Rateros, but it still pretty good. About an American Latino reporter (leguizamo) who's tracked a serial killer to Ecuador --Leguizamo's very good. It's deals with the problem of the media involving itself with the news.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   

Just picked up Balaguero's Darkness, which I'll be watching tonight, and saw a few other movies at the video store that looked interesting (including, finally, Carandiru).

Anyone seen The Machinist? Someone told me it was good. But I dunno.

Lawrence A
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 04:12 am:   

saw STOLEN SUMMER, independent American flick. Not bad actually, in fact a pretty decent effort, although fairly predictable.

The ending was a cop-out though, little 8 year old Catholic kid asks dad Aidan Quinn after his dad basically sets him straight about the Catholic shit they're feeding him at his local Chicago holycross school (ignoring the fact that same dad is sending him there, what does he expect?), "so I don't need to listen to the nuns then?". Dad replies, laughs "you still gotta listen to the nuns". Groooan. Have some backbone, geeez. I mean if the filmmakers are gonna go that far, why back off from the central point the film is bloody well making?

Still a worthy and necessary film (without being overwrought) in a country overrun by superstition that has no problem in putting a Jesus nut in charge of its fate. I recommend it.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 06:33 am:   

I haven't seen it, but I would be inclined to cut the director some slack, since through PROJECT GREENLIGHT, we got to see all the backstage b.s. and tribulations that went into making it. Plus it was ultra-low budget and it was the guy's first film!

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

The Machinist is pretty good. There's no real surprise in the plot (predictable from the beginning), but it's done well. I will warn you, Christian Bale looks terrible. He's just skin stretched over bone, and they frequently show him shirtless. He gained 60 lbs between this and Batman Begins.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:46 am:   

The best part of Batman Begins was Xian Bale in his utterly vacant, psychotic, stripped-down mode; he must have carried that over from The Machinist.

Darkness was pretty good, it had strength of its convictions--i.e., it was a horror story that didn't feel obliged to work out a happy ending. Way too predictable, and full of stock images (however stylish). But the few scenes of total domestic chaos were well done, very tense. I've got to rustle up his adaptation of Ramsey Campbell's The Nameless...although that has a very very similar theme.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:27 am:   

The presence of Giancarlo Giannini in DARKNESS reminded me of how much I liked him in MIMIC.

DARKNESS also reminded me of the more recent Ramsey Campbell novel, SINS OF THE FATHERS.

One of the new breed of fine Spanish Gothic directors should do one of Ramsey's really good horror novels. They seem to have more natural flair and sympathy for the material than any British directors I can think of.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:28 am:   

Another one I saw at the video store was a bizarre looking Japanese film about a werewolf samurai...up against bloodsucking geishas... Sound familiar? I couldn't tell if it was total trash, or just packaged that way.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

Have you seen THE NAMELESS by Balaguero. It's better than Darkness.

You couldn't tell if blood-sucking geishas vs. a werewolf samurai was trash? That's a joke, right? :-)

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

THE NAMELESS is the Ramsey Campbell adaptation...haven't laid hands on a copy yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

As for the other...well, KWAIDAN could be packaged to look like trash to appeal to the samurai vampire fans.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 11:02 am:   

I forgot to mention my favorite part of DARKNESS. At the end, when the rain is coming down on the old house, the power is about to go out, the TV set is flickering with images of the nearly total eclipse...well, it was pouring rain at our place, and at the height of the climactic scene our TV just flickered and went out. It took me about 10 seconds to realize it wasn't an especially clever part of the movie.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

I'm gonna see Dark Water. I know that sounds like basphemy, but I'm just that not big a fan of Nagata and I am a fan of Walter Salles (central station). So I'm gonna check it out. Great cast. Tim Roth, John C Reilley, Pete Postlewaite, etc.

Yeah, but blood-sucking geishas...? :-)

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   

Let me know what you think of the US Dark Water. I might reconsider. My youngest daughter wants to see it badly; the older one got nightmares from the previews.

Here's a link to the samurai movie, KIBAKICHI:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/19109.html?id=kzFeFTUY&mv_pc=4325

For added entertainment, the movie description goes bad about halfway down the page, and turns into a review of the feel-good-movie-of-the-year.

I saw HOTEL RWANDA last night. For the most part, very stagey and unconvincing. Needed some kind of surer directorial hand to convey even a fraction of the horror.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

RWANDA was bad,

I'll let you know about DARK WATER

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   

Lucius, you forgot the number one reason to see DW: Jennifer Connelly!

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   

I'm surprised they didn't retitle the US edition: DARK WET T-SHIRT.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 05:39 am:   

I've seen some good movies lately.

Videodrome: Awesome. Love this movie. Easily one of the best sci-fi films ever made. And probably the best fictional movie about T.V. out there. James Woods gives a really fine performance. A movie like this puts movies like Blade Runner to shame, in terms of philosophy, ideas, and story, as well as overall filmmaking. Cronenberg's brilliant and this is one of his best. Even his weaker efforts are better than most films being made.

Lost and Delirious: This is a Candian film, directed by the swiss born Lea Pool. It's about a girl who rooms with two Lesbians who are in love, at an all girl boarding school. It's a tragic love story because one of the lovers decides she can't be known as a lesbian because of her family and peers. The other lover -- the brave one, goes through a mental breakdown and fights for her love.... The acting is excellent, paticularily from Piper Perabo, who plays the rebellious lover. I can relate with the emotion, simply because I've been madly in love and lost her.

Susperia: Really liked this one. It all seems to come together so well. The intriguing
camera angles. The brilliant use of light and colour. The wonderfully creepy and moody soundtrack. The suspenseful buildup. The building where it takes place, with all the glass windows and decor, is perfect. I'd love to be able to wander through that building. Another thing it has going for it, is all the beautiful women in it, who aren't hootched up, fake, Hollywood type actresses. Sure, the acting and plot aren't at all standout. But its good qualities make up for that.

This is Spinal Tap: A pretty funny parody on rock stars and documentaries. I surprisingly hadn't yet seen it, considering my interest in rock music. Rob Reiner made some decent movies in the 80s up to Misery. After that, he seems to have started sucking, although I haven't really seen his movies since. Not interested.

Soylent Green: A pretty good distopian. Nowhere near as good as A Clockwork Orange, but still one of the better one's in sci-fi. Charlton Heston actually fits as the cocky, chauvanistic detective jerk -- no surprise there. Watching it I wondered why they didn't just burn all of the bodies and shortly after that, I knew how it would end. The fact that noone seems to question that in the movie, is part of the point. To many people are too trusting and oblivious of their government.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:35 am:   

Videodrome is a classic. I love that darn movie. IMHO, Cronenberg is about ten years ahead of his time in predicting the advent of cyberspace.

Never saw L&D, but I have a crush on Piper Perabo. Maybe I'll have to check it out.

Suspiria is a guilty pleasure. Either you like Argento's excesses or you can't stand them. Suspiria is one of his best, along with the almost-never-seen Inferno.

Spinal Tap = genius. As for Soylent Green, I prefer the SNL parody by the late Phil Hartman.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

Dave, I think Marc said it for me, though it's not the same since her reduction. (I may steal that line, Marc.)

Is there actress you don't have a crush on? I'm assuming Angela Lansbury's immune, as well as the deceased.

Agreed on Videodrome. I never found Spinal Tap that funny--it reminded me too much of the real thing.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

Dave, yeah, Soylent Green would be ripe for parody, because it is kind of cheesy. A lot of Heston movies from that period are. Why do all the people sleep on the stairwells anyway? Couldn't they find more comfortable places to sleep? I don't recall the SNL skit but I did just see the movie recently.

Well, I guess I like Argento's excesses, but I don't feel guilty about it. I haven't seen any other movie quite like it. And It's dreamlike and stylish. I like that. Haven't seen his other movies but I have a few lined up. Maybe he'll loose his appeal?

Lucius, that's partly what makes it funny. I'd say it has its moments, but isn't hilarious.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:02 am:   

Lucius, there are a number of actresses I don't have crushes on: Anjelica Houston, Rosie Perez, Rosie O'Donnell, Demi Moore, Katie Holmes, Cher...It just so happens that this summer there is a torrent of releases featuring particular favorites of mine. And we haven't even started talking about KING KONG with Naomi Watts!

Yeah, I can give old Angie a pass...unless, of course, I happen to be watching THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE...the old gal had it goin' on!!!

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

FANTASTIC FOUR has registered a new low on the Tomatometer; even the good reviews quoted say things like, "Doesn't totally suck."

They had a target that was all bullseye and they still missed it.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:21 am:   

Spare me Naomi ih King Kong! In fact, Spare me King Kong...

Yeah, the 4 smelled like a stinker from the git go, but then a lot of flick that get high ratings are stinkers to me.

Yeah, Stephen, but I think it was funnier to other people...

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

Spinal Tap was amusing, but it made me sad. When it came out, it was an exageration of the excesses and stupidity of rock music. But real bands took things even further. The exageration is tame compared to the bands that followed.

With F4, will it be any better than the shelved Corman film? Or will it just suck in different ways (or even the same ways)?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

All I can say is that the special effect I saw for the elastic guy in the new version looked about the same as the one in the Cormon, i.e,m laughable.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

DARK WATER is getting some good reviews. Even the mixed ones make it sound as if Salles was faithful to the emotional undercurrent of the original--i.e., it's a supernatural divorce story. So maybe I'll bend on this one. I like everyone in the damn thing.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

I just read a review (unfavorable) on IMDB thar made me want to see it more.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

Oddly, one of the few people who gave the FF film a a good review is the usually reliable Stephen Hunter, of the Washington Post (who, as I point out at every opportunity, is my current favorite writer of action thrillers as well.) He liked the group dynamics quite a bit but thought the plot threadbare and the attack of Dr. Doom lame. So even he was lukewarm.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

I think all the major guys, even hunter, are spotty. I used to read hunter, good stuff, but I got tired of the sniper guy. Probably he's moved on by now, but there's so much to read...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Hunter has a nasty tendency to write in the voice of a precocious, but terminally snarky, H.S. computer club president. I can take him or leave him. He's OK when he's in grown-up mode. He seems to have a genuine affection for movies. He just tries too hard sometimes.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   

King Kong is really the only huge budget hollywood blockbuster, with loaded CG effects, that I think may actually be good, and that's not just wishful thinking... Or maybe not?

Anyway, it'll be better than WOTW. The reason I think this is because Peter did a good job with the LOTR trilogy. Hopefully he's kept some integrity, with the goal of making a good entertaining movie at the forefront. Also, he has his own studio and he's established a reputation that will most likely allow him to do his thing without the suites getting involved. But on the other hand, it does seem like it could turn into a big marketing, merchandising monster. And I've heard it's going to be a trilogy, which seems stupid. So I guess we'll see.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   

King Kong 2, The Ape Strikes Back? The Return of the King?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

"Anyway, it'll be better than WOTW."

Not judging by the trailer. It looked lame.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   

Am I the only one who thinks the face of Kong looks incredibly fake and artificial?

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Oh really, I haven't seen the trailer. But WOTW is lame anyway, right? Are you saying it looks even lamer? I'd take Jackson and Watts over Spielberg and Cruise.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   

Exactly, Dave! If that face and the dinosaurs are exemplary of the FX, Kong is going to be a drag. Stephen, I'm saying it looks stupid bad. Jack Black as the entrepeneur appears ludicrous and the 30s style coloration looks horrible.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

Yeah, that sounds bad. Like I said, I haven't seen a trailer or even stills, but for that kind of movie, with that kind of budget, you'd think they'd get theat part right. I didn't know Jack Black was in it but I like some of his comedy going back to Mr. Show. Is it going to be a comedy or something?

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   

Who would have ever thought we would be looking back fondly on Dino De Laurentis?

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   

Great news! On espn.com, Samsung is giving away a part in the "next" Fantastic Four movie!

So, what, it's a franchise and it hasn't even opened yet?

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   

Of course, when one says 'movie' in this context, what one is really saying is: 'really-really-expensive-advertisement-for-all-the-toys-and-games-and-dvds-and-k ids-clothes-they-are-going-to-flood-the-market-with'.
:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   

Stephen...

I think "...or something..." sums it up/

Dave....Yup...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   

I saw Dark Water. I liked 3/4 of the movie better than the original--Salles was making a movie to rival the Shining--a domestic tragedy, with a Roosevelt island apt building subbing wonderfully for the Overlook. But then they jammed on the original ending, and that just didn't work. I sense producer intervention, I want to see Walter Salles' film. Pete Postlewaite is awesome as the building super. John c is really good. Tim Roth is underused and I definitely thing he had a larger part....Almost.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   

The original ending only barely worked on the original (I figure it played stronger for its intended audience). I was hoping they would understand that it would not work at all for an American audience. I also think I like the original better than you did.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   

I know you like it better than I did, but this one has some virtues the original didn't......

MarcL
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   

Cool. Well, I liked The Ring better than Ringu in some respects (I also saw it first), so I'm warming to the idea of seeing this one. My reaction to Dark Water was partly one of appreciating a subtle supernatural/psychological story well done; it's very much the sort of thing Ramsey Campbell might have written in the 70's, which has been very rare in film lately. One more good American supernatural horror movie is a good thing in my book, and if they've pulled it off even 75% of the way, then good on them. Call me Mr. Flippyfloppy.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   

Maybe my problem is, I'm not a fan of Campbell, except for the film, The Nameless...

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 06:10 am:   

I've only read a couple shorts by Cambell. I thought "Mackintosh Willy" was excellent, but the other one didn't do it for me. Haven't seen the movie.

I was just looking at some of your older reviews, which I haven't read. Didn't realize you'd reviewed City of God. I really liked the movie, as I've already mentioned somewhere. I didn't like it as much as The Godfather because of, as you mention, the characters. Good review, but I disagree somewhat with some of your criticism. I view City of God differently than I do The Godfather, even though they're both gangster films. I see City of God as a fictionalized documentary, as it's based on a true story. The Godfather, as pure fiction because that's what it is. To me, a big part of the point of COG, was how in horrible cirumstances, children, or people in general, can both loose their humanity, as well as retain it. Now it does focus on the violence and corruption, and may be a little exploitive, but that's the subject matter and theme of the movie. It's not a movie about the regular lives of people living in poverty, with touching human moments. This is a movie about crime and corruption and so focuses on those aspects. Like you said, It's not meant to be emotionally affecting, so much as shocking, or numbing. But why is that bad, when it's a movie dealing with people who have become numbed to violence? It's giving the viewer that perspective and I think it's effective. Maybe it is a little overblown? The Godfather, I see as telling a really good story with interesting and likeable characters, despite their flaws, without worrying too much about realism. It certainly succeedes at that, as I'm sure you'd agree. I do like The Godfather better, but I'm not, by any means, a complete realist.

A recent Canadian movie, which I think you'd like, called Sabah -- about a muslim immigrant, played by Arsinée Khanjian, who falls in love with a carpenter in Toronto. I haven't seen it yet, so this is based on what I've heard.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

What you describe, meant to shock, etc, precisely defines what City of God is, a blaxploitation movie. Why is that bad? It's not, it's just not as good as it could have been if Mirielles had shown the violence in context. I'm not asking for realism, just some contrast. Maybe it's a little overblown? Yeah, just a little. Also I don't really like all the MTV camera shit--a little of that goes a long way with me. Still, it'll be interesting to see what he does with Le Carre's the Constant Gardner, but the studio is dumping the film in late August. which may be a sign it's a dog, or may signal the studio doesn't know what to do with it.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

PS -I saw a long trailer for A History of Violence--this appears to be Cronenberg's straight movie, kind of a take on the Long Kiss Goodbye, with Viggo Mortensen doing a bit as a small town coffee shop owner who may have been a contract killler in the past. Might be good, but I doubt it'll stoke hardcore Cronenberg fans.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

I think it'll be really good. I've pretty much liked every movie I've seen by him and I like how he does something different every time. Now you might say eXistenZ is similar to Videodrome, and it is, but one deals with T.V., the other video games. His movie that I probably liked the least, Crash, is still pretty good, in some respects, but it seems too much like something David Lynch would do. Could have been way better. All his other recent movies have been excellent. He's also done a straight drama, M. Butterfly, which I still haven't seen.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

I hate Crash, was bored by existenz, and a number of his films just flat leave me cold. I loved Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch--I have feeling this one won't be a Cronenberg movie as much as a Viggo Mortensen-Ed Harris movie.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:31 am:   

Yeah, but compared to most movies Crash ain't bad.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

Also, I think some of his movies are supposed to leave you cold -- that's the point.

But fair enough, Crash kind of sucked, I'm being to easy on him.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

No, they left me cold because i thought they were dumb. Scanners, for instance. Exploding heads. Dumb. Not even that funny. Let's leave C-berg behind. You love him and he's uneven for me.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   

Haven't seen Scanners. Or Dead Ringers.

I sort of want to see Crash again now. Give it another chance. I know some people like it. And remembering the scene where they get in the first crash -- it's well acted. I've been in an odd car accident when I was high, where my buddy could've died. We got lucky.... I wasn't turned on by it or anything, but there is a rush.

But ok, enough C-berg.

Adam-Troy
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 04:37 pm:   

And the FURY, released a year and a half earlier, was a much better telepathy-leads-to-exploding-heads movie. (Out of a field of two.)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

The Fury, yeah, some scenes in that one stay with you...

Cassavetes, right?

PM
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   

eXistenZ reflects the nature of the game and being in the game.

Elements which could be considered ridiculous along with a wooden dialogue and acting to match.

One can consider gaming to be a druglike experience.

Additionally gaming has a recurring nature in that one has to begin again and again. And of course some games have no end as such it's simply an ongoing cycle...

Like a film that depicts the molding of popcorn , I'd say that eXistenZ hits the mark. The question is whether viewers are really interested in the subject matter...

PM
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   

Returning to Heston, he's certainly an actor who has range whether playing an everyman or Moses. Action, comedy, drama --- Heston can do it and has done it...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 07:37 pm:   

Returning to Heston? I didn't know we'd gone there in the first place. I know I didn't.

Heston defines wooden. He's a relic of the studio system -- not an actor as much of a screen presence and a pretty hamfisted one at that. I can think of only one perfomance of his in a lead role that was even adequate and that was Will Penny. Several campy performances, notably Ben Hur and Planet of the Apes. I remember him best being eviscerated by Chris Hitchings in a debate on CNN during the Gulf War.

existenz....not worth wasting time over. Your theory of versimiltude, whether true or not, is irrelevant to any reasonable aesthetic judgement.

PM
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

It would seem that you're suggesting that there is no beauty in truth...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   

That's not what I'm suggesting at all. Verisimilitude can scarcely be defined as truth. I'm suggesting, rather emphatically and for the last time, that existenz is lame-ass.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 04:11 am:   

You used to be cool. Untill you said eXistenZ was lame-ass.:-)

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 04:13 am:   

PM: I can't believe you think Heston's a good actor. Good for a laugh at times...

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 04:21 am:   

PS, I saw a terrible David Lynch short called "Darkened Room". It's just stupid and amatuerish. Nothing actually happens in the eight minutes and he trys to build suspense with his same old, worn out methods. Even though I like a few of his movies, this short shows how he's a somewhat gimmicky director.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

Verisimilitude can scarcely be defined as truth. I'm suggesting, rather emphatically and for the last time, that existenz is lame-ass.

I was just joking with my earlier comment, but I'm going to make a defence for the movie since you seem to invite it, with this statement.

First of all, the way I understand it, versimilitude means that something is either real or true, or at least appears to be real or true. I think eXistenZ fits both definitions of the word, both it terms of its narrative themes as well as its honesty. It isn't comforting.

Would you prefer the shallow, glamed up Hollywood adolescent wish fulfillment, of the Matrix?

eXistenZ has guts. It's raw and real in comparison.

Is it you don't find eXistenZ aesthetically pleasing? But you like Videodrome, so that'd be contradictory.

Cronenberg isn't afraid of being rediculous, disturbing, and gross. He doesn't care what people think. He does his own thing. If you don't like it, watch some safe Spielberg (I'm not saying you don't. I'm just making a point).
He's daring. With a bold and unique imagination. I really admire that.

I think the fact that you aren't interested in video games needs to be taken into consideration.

You're most valid criticism, is the fact that he's covering the same ground as Videodrome and Videodrome's a better movie. That's fair enough. Doesn't mean that eXistenZ isn't a good movie though.

PM
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

Why can't Heston be a "wooden" standard? I can understand how his delivery may not be appealing.

Heston was in a number of less than stellar movies.

I'd suggest for most of his career that he wasn't really tapped...

But he wanted to act and so he ends up with the work he was able to obtain...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

By that standard, Bush may be a good president., Jackie Collins may rival Alice Munro, and everything is everything else.

Your zen is to be admired, PM, but your kung fu is no good.

Stephen, I'm not sure how "emphatically and for the last time" invites an argument, certainly not one based on a false premise...the would-I-prefer thing. The fact is, I did prefer the first Matrix movie to existenZ, but I don't need a comparative. A review is a personal reacton to a movie--existenZ bored me silly. Period. I'd seen it all before. It has nothing to do with whether I like or do not like video ganes. It has nothing to do with Videodrome, which struck me as a better movie when I saw it, but I haven't seen it for a long time, so maybe I wouldn't like it as much now. Cronenberg's best work is his less gimmicky stuff, the stuff that doesn't get dated, and existenZ was dated from the git-go. I could get more particular in my criticism, contrast existenZ with Naked Lunch, discuss how existenZ seemed an afterthought to Lunch, substance addiction compared to game addiction, even down to the materials of the game, and talk about the fact that I don't believe Cronenberg is a good scrirpiwriter, that he works best (generally) when given other people's work, but to do this when talking about a minor Cronenberg movie seems excessive.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:19 am:   

Lucius: I know you weren't actually inviting a defense. It's just that your absolute statement without aything to back it up, does unintentionally invite me to defend it. So, bear with me. This'll be it for that.

First of all, hands down, Naked Lunch is a better movie than eXistenZ. One of his very best. Who else would tackle Burroughs? Although, I don't think his other films based on a previous stories, like The Fly and Deadzone, are among his best movies. Still good, but a little more commercial -- less original. And Ballard's Crash....

I've always thought that The Matrix was overrated, even though I did like the first one. I know it has more depth then most Hollywood sci-fi action movies, but to me, it was still a bit of a dumb action movie. When I saw it first, I was around 17, it didn't have anything that I hadn't already thought of myself, well before it. It also strikes me as similar to other Hollywood directors like Stone and Rodriguez, whose movies try hard to be cool and edgey without actually being cool or edgey. I don't respect Shumacher or the Wachowskis. I see The Matriz as a one hit wonder. I think Cronenberg has waay better taste in actors and that eXistenZ has the more intelligent script. Sure, Matrix has more flash and fast paced action to keep people engaged. But I found it utterly predictable. What I liked about eXistenZ was all the twists and turns that kept me guessing. I never knew exactly what was coming next. You found it boring and I found it entertaining. We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

PM: As I said further up thread. He can pass for a cocky asshole, not because his acting ability, but because that's what he is. He can play the Heston persona, but I've never actually seen him play a character.

Jörn Grote
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:28 am:   

When eXistenZ came out it reminded me of these horrible, cheap games that were made when CD technology was new for PCs. Games without real gameplay but "cool" movie sequences where you watched third or probably fourth rate actors voicing the worst, dumbest lines I've ever seen and could occasionally click here or there. If you hadn't died of boredom after some hours, you surely had brain damage after that time.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Yeah but you also think Issac Asimov is a better writer than Gene Wolfe. And Total Recall is one of your favourite movies.:-)

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

And Jorn, I don't mean to be mean. I'm just teasing. But that's for the brain damage remark.

PM
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

Glad you mentioned Gene Wolfe...

After Shadow, Claw, Sword, and Citadel the density of his writing diminishes and continues to do so...

This has to be a decision that someone made.

I recall the Latro books where explanations for the readers become tedious...and then it just continues to bottom...Pandora...Castleview...the Lake series in the main...

Which returns me to Heston and any number of creative folk who at times have done good work but then...

The point is not so much that Heston is the greatest actor as much as it is how creative folk clearly become involved with projects that diminish their careers...

PM
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

As I said further up thread. He can pass for a cocky asshole, not because his acting ability, but because that's what he is. He can play the Heston persona, but I've never actually seen him play a character. --Stephen

I get a sense that part of the objection to Heston is personality and some of it is political (Lucius).

He was likely the most inviting part of the remake of Planet of the Apes.

He didn't strike me as cocky in Town & Country. He was warm and overprotective and of course at the end his part goes full-fledge overboard...

I'll agree that it's difficult if not impossible to enjoy Heston because he's in rotten movies.

And if one doesn't like his personality and deplores his politics then it makes it all the more difficult.

But I'll give him some due for attempting to do more than entertain in movies...

Whether one enjoys his diction is one thing but unlike Bush he can read his lines and can give a speech.

Lucius, perhaps you were going to badge Bush with praise as political puppetry...

PM
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

Your zen is to be admired, PM, but your kung fu is no good. ---Lucius

I leave Kung Fu to professionals...

I am certain though that there are lessons to be learned in your schooling of/with hard knocks...

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

I feel like an asshole. I don't think Jorn was actually saying I have brain damage for liking existenz. I just took it the wrong way. As you know, Jorn, I'm up and down. I don't really feel good right now and saying that has made me feel worse. So, I'm sorry. I'm going to back out of this now because this is getting ridiculous.

Jörn Grote
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

It's okay Stephen. I like this thread, gives me good ideas for movies I should look out for and probably would never heard about.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   

Yeah, I've calmed down. I was being irrational. If that's what you like who cares. People like what they like. It's not an insult. But this episode has helped me get some good writing out. So thanks.:-)

Lucius is probably thinking -- what a freak, this guy's cracking up.;)

PM: I'd just drop the whole Heston's a good actor argument if I were you. I don't think you're going to convince anyone.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   

PM, long before I knew H's politics, I had the good sense to detest his acting

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:42 am:   

I thought the trailer for A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE looked interesting, but a bit conventional for Cronenberg, who I look to for wilder, more bizarre approaches to storytelling. I agree with Lucius on DEAD RINGERS. Need to see NAKED LUNCH AGAIN. M. BUTTERFLY was quite interesting, but on the subject of straight drama, did everyone forget SPIDER with Ralph Fiennes, a movie that I thought was very affecting? CRASH was a bit of a disappointment, despite a great cast (Spader! Hunter! Elias Koteas!) probably because the material was virtually unfilmable. I'm a huge fan of Ballard's book, but I still don't see how anybody could translate it to the big screen!

As far as Heston, who else could have so effectively uttered the immortal "Peeeeee-ople! Soylent Green is peeeee-ople!....?

Saw DARK WATER on Saturday. Well-made film, I suppose, but a fine example of a filmmaker concerned with mood and ambience and mise-en-scene and sensitivity at the expense of actual chills. What is a thriller without, well, THRILLS? Not much. Much as I like Connelly, I found it predictable and kind of boring. Also, the similarities with RINGU, story-wise, were a little distracting. Two and a half stars.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 06:49 am:   

You're of the school, apparently, than requires a shock every 8-10 minutes. I prefer a slower, more character oriented development. I wouldn't call DW a thriller, but a suspenser. The predictability lay in the horror elements. It would have been more interesting if they had kept it a domestic tragedy.

Agreed on the Cronenberg.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:04 am:   

Yeah, Dave. I really liked Spider. But I wouldn't call it a straight drama. More of a psychological horror drama.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

I thought Ralph Fiennes was pretty great in it too.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

I thought DW had effective moments, for example, the middle section where it appeared that Jennifer Connelly might indeed by going as nuts as her husband claimed. And the atmosphere of dread was effective. But as a ghost story that was going for scares, I thought it fell short. Salles needed to do a better job building dread with the supernatural angle, and I thought the ending felt forced and predictable, a bit of a cheat. Personally, I thought that, as a supernatural suspense film, THE OTHERS with Nicole Kidman worked this vein much more chillingly and effectively.

Every ten minutes is a bit much to ask in the shock category, but Salles could have provided ONE, y'know, just to humor us horror buffs...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:27 am:   

Whoops. I contradicted myself there. Sorry. I meant to say Connelly's psychological dread was effective, but I did not really feel the supernatural threat. The ghost seemed like an afterthought to me. Sorry to unleash the horror of bad writing there!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

Exactly. I think the ghost was an afterthought. I said I sensed studio intervention--I think was trying to make a movie that was much more ambiguous.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

Salles was trying

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:41 am:   

How much cleaner and more effective it would have been if they dispensed with the whole ghost angle and just left it a tormented woman, slowly going mad a la Polanski's REPULSION...

StephenB
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:26 am:   

I'm certainly going to see Dark Water sometime. Jennifer Connelly looks like my ex...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

I thought--and still think--that what Salles was going for, using the ghost as a red herring. Somebody stepped on him. He's too good a director to leave a movie like that unless the gun was at his head.

Stephen, you'd do better seeing your ex.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

Lucius: I wish. She's married now. Essentially I did love her, it was the kind of, love at first sight, deep instinctive connection, type love. She said I was the first guy she loved. It was partly timing. She was a few years older than me, had had more serious relationships than me. I still wanted to play the field and she was ready to get married. I was doing a lot of E and mushrooms and drinking then. It wouldn't be unusual for me to be in the bars 6 nights a week. So I was often either really high or really drunk around her, and I ended up making out and dancing with other girls in front of her. She did the same back to me. It was a rocky and passionate relationship but eventually she got fed up with me and married the next guy who came along after knowing him for only three months. She had emotional issues, you might say. Anyway, he turned out to be the abusive controlling type (very different than me in that respect). Would rarely let her out because he was afraid she'd run into me. We came really close to serious blows a few times. Last I heard, from one of her friends who goes to the same college as me, she has had a kid with him. I know for a while he wasn't working and was addicted to crystal meth. (hopefully for the sake of the kid that has changed). Anyway, it's fucked up. After the breakup, I was devestated. I realized how fragile and insecure I can be. Went on a bit of a depressive downward spiral. Now, here I am, writing and stuff. It's weird. Some of your stories make me really think about her, like we're still connected.

Anyway, sorry for going on about this. This has nothing to do with movies.:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Actually, that story is more interesting than DW. Maybe it should be a movie...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register