Self-Promotion -- Louisiana Breakdown Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Self-Promotion -- Louisiana Breakdown « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lucius
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   

Golden Gryphon has shipped copies of my long (38,000 word) novella, Louisiana Breakdown, with a cover and interior illos by JK Potter. I have a lot of affection for this story. It took a long time to gestate and I worked hard on getting the language right. And it's cheaper than Aztechs. :-)

Aztechs, btw, is out of print on publication, according to Bill Schaeffer; but Amazon has some copies at a significant discount from the cover price.

RobertW
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:33 am:   

Hi Lucius,

I ordered Louisiana Breakdown from Amazon--looking forward to reading it.

Robert

lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Hi, Robert...

So you're the one who ordered it, huh? Hope you like it, man.

Is your book out yet? Soon, no?

Lucius

RobertW
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 09:34 am:   

Soon. Pete says his mailing house will get it this week, then off to me at some point I guess. I assume he's sending you a copy? Well, I'm excited.

Robert

lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

I'd hope Pete would send me a copy -- I imagine he'll get around to it at some point. Good luck with it!!

Lucius

Subpress
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   

Hey Lucius,

Amazon may claim to have copies of AZTECHS, but if so, they've ordered from distributors, not us. And the distributors are going to get shorted. Meaning Amazon may get copies, and may not...

Bill

lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   

Hi, Bill....

Sorry, man. I thought when you said OP that meant they already had copies. My bad....

Lucius

PS--got the overnight package today. Looks real nice.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 08:10 am:   

I just picked up Louisiana Breakdown (along with Waldrop's Custer's Last Jump) last night at Wrigley-Cross. Hoping to start on it tonight, assuming I finally get these damn Wagner corrections finished.

Jason

lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 09:25 am:   

Hey, Jason,

I love Howard's book...but then I find all of Howard's stuff pretty great. Hope you enjoy LB.

Lucius

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   

Hey Lucius --

Louisiana Breakdown arrived today, and I am already -- as ever -- seized by your prose and the tale it serves. But I'm holding my seizure in check for the late hours when I read best.

Last night I woke up at about two in a rainy, foggy morning, spooky here in our valley, and took down Valentine and went through it slowly, slowly -- it was as though I was reading the same book I had read a few months ago but a new book too.

It occurred to me that some books, some of the best books, offer their own "temporary citizenry." Bounded by fog or insomnia, isolation, loneliness, absorption (sic.)

All books do that, sure -- but some, and yours, do that for real.

Raining harder now, and I'm eager for the small hours and my return to your Breakdown.

Regards from our little farm, 50 miles west of Lynchburg.
Keith

lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:15 am:   

Hey, Keith...

I'm pleased you liked Valentine and hope LB does the job.

I was born in Lynchburg -- so I'm of two minds here. One, it's a nice place to have a farm, and two, it;s good you're fifty miles outside it. :-) 'Course, I'm extremely prejudiced against Lynchburg because all my born-again relatives live there.

I'm going to get some coffee and watch the fall of Baghdad before I go to work. How bizarre!

Take Care,

Lucius

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Yo Lucius --

That was precisely my point about the location of our farm, nor did I doubt that you would get it.

Passing Judgment was set in my "own" made up Samson NC, but more than a few people in Lynchburg (the same few, I guess, who made up the bulk of the sales!) thought I was writing of them and their... popular pastor.

Breakdown just grabs and holds, and beats far watching the war.

Bizarre indeed -- as we said in OMNI, "Techno Wizards and Couch Potatoes."

Not that you're a potatoe (sic).

all affection,
Keith

Daisy Mae Mulesplatter
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:34 pm:   

Mistah Shepard,

Although we haven't been formally introduced, I'm sure you are familiar with my family, the Lynchburg Mulesplatters, one of the oldest and most respected of the Mulesplatter lines. While I have been an admirer of your work, vulgar though it occasionally seems to a delicate flower of Virginia such as myself, I could not let your patronizing reference to Lynchburg go unchallenged.

While it may be true that ours is not the widest and most varied gene pool, I am sure you agree that we have good reasons for, shall we say, keeping to our own kind, when you look at, shall we say, the alternative.

I am positive that if you were, as you claim, born in Lynchburg, then of course you meant no harm, and I blush to confess that having been more than once swept into a faint of the vapors by your virile prose, stand willing to accept your apology to my fair home.

I remain,

Very faithfully your admiring fan,

MISS Daisy Mae Mulesplatter

lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:52 pm:   

Hey, Keith...

I don't know, watching the war is quite entertaining, when you consider what we're seeing is fictive in the extreme. I love that we (US) are now humping this guy Chelabi or whatever his name is as the new leader of Iraq. He's under indictment in Jordan for stealing 70,000,000 dollars. Fits right in with Cheney and them.

Baghdad should be interesting these next few years. Full of spooks and mechanics.

Take Care,

Lucius

lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:02 am:   

My dear Miss Mulesplatter,

heartening as it is to recognize (and I do so recognize judging from your letter) that merchants of quality lysergic acid continue to hawk their wares within the precincts of Lynchburg, offering up their plaintive cries to the night, I cannot concur with your assertion that I have been patronzing toward the fair city of your birth. Insulting? Yes. Dismissive of? No doubt. But never patronizing. Your use of the term "gene pool" in relaton to that hideous blight upon the Virginia soil brings to mind the image of a born-again gorilla squatting in a child's wader. How else explain, other than by genetic deficit, the fact that such as the Reverend Jerry Falwell has risen to primacy in those environs, lording it over his dull-eyed congregation like a toad hunkered atop a crypt? That said, I take pleasure in the fact that my wods have caused your delicate engine to become, on occasion, somewhat overheated, and I trust that my new work will provide no less efficient a service.

I hope you will not perceive me as being too forward in asking if you are kin to Miss Luanne Mulesplatter, of whom I have fond memories dating back to my high school days. Not only was Luanna a healthy young lady and a good soul, she could always make change for a twenty.

Y'all take care now, y'heah?

Lucius

Daisy Mae Hogsplatter
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

My dear Mr. Shepard, or may I now address you as Lucius,

I see your reputation for coarseness is well-earned, but since I long ago adopted the habit of keeping my smelling salts near to my keyboard, online social intercourse being the unpredictable endeavor that it is, I am none the worse for having read your impassioned reply to my missive of yesterday evening. If I may speak boldly, I must say that your feigned casual disregard, so passionately expressed, has stirred something deep in my bosom. I pray it is not the breaking of my heart and I await some sign that, impossible though it seems, you have felt the same stirring on reading my hopelessly inadequate expressions.

Incidentally, I do recall some whispered stories of a distant cousin Luanne who, I believe, now resides in Virginia Beach, a town more in line with her own moral compass, where she presides over a floral shop specializing in the taming of the wilder species of azaleas and gardenias.

Your devoted,

MISS Daisy Mae Hogsplatter

DeWayne Hogsbottom
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:06 am:   

Daisy Mae? What do you think you?re doing? Putting on airs and cavorting with these blaspheming science fiction writers? All the rest of your simple folk believed you when you said you was spending all your time ministering to sick souls over in the Oral Roberts Chat Room, but I had my doubts, so I followed you here and what do I find ? you shaking your virtual bosoms at these heathens.

Excuse me, Mr. Shepard, I know this is your personal discussion board, and I do apologize for this intrusion, but I felt it was my duty to expose this fraud. That ain?t no Daisy Mae Hogsplatter. Why she ain?t nobody but my own cousin, and up until now bride-to-be, Miss Daisy Mae Hogsbottom.

Daisy Mae, I should have listened to Mama when she told me you wasn?t nothing but a Bluefly of Heartache looking for a place to light. Well, Missy, we are through and when I tell your Daddy what you been up to he?s gonna tan your hide.

Sorry, again, Mr. Shepard, you all just go back to talking about rocket ships and aliens and whatever else it is you do around here. But let me warn you, brother to brother, that Daisy Mae is a wily one and if you ain?t careful you gonna find that she?s ensnared you in one of her love trances. I praise the Lord the scales have now fell from my eyes.

Respectfully yours,

DeWayne Hogsbottom

p.s. If you look closely you will see that Daisy Mae is not much of a typist and she has revealed herself in her own message.

Daisy Mae
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:07 am:   

My dear Lucius,

Please permit me to apologize for the unfortunate Mr. Hogsbottom?s delusional interference in our conversation. You see, a lovely ELIGIBLE young maiden such as myself is bound to attract the attention of the odd unsavory admirer, though I use the word ?admirer? guardedly since Mr. Hogsbottom?s admiration is of no more moment than that of a hungry hound outside a chicken coop.

Please be assured that nothing of what he says contains even a rumor of truth and my cousin deputy sheriff Jerrold Mulesplatter has been dispatched to deal with Mr. Hogsbottom.

Still your devoted,

Daisy Mae

lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

Hey, DeWayne,

ain't you'uns worried that the Duke boys and Cooter are gonna come rescue, Miss Daisy? And if that happens, what'll ol' Boss Hogg say?

Get a wife!

Lucius

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 02:48 pm:   

Lucius,
Check out the SCIFICTION section of my topic. Someone has some questions for you re: Senor Volto.

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

Young Lucius --

You are of course right about the entertainment value of watching the war, a topic that came up last night with our son Alec, making his first visit here in over a year (I passed along to him your kind comments about the Holy Ghost.)

So much has been made about the technology that "won" the war, but it was, and is, the embedding that won the TV-addled, TV-addicted eyes of the audience. The administers (sic) figured this out, and the program captured exactly that 80-90% of the nation it was intended to capture. Survivor indeed.

Did I not know better I would assume that the whole video gameplan had been derived from one of Barry Malzberg's novels, Revelations, say, which preceded Chayevsky and \i(Network} by a fair amount.

What was it Nena saing in Lufballoons? "Every man a captainkirk."

Yes indeed and keep your eyes on Venezuela.

all best as ever,
Keith
PS -- ooops, so far off-topic I feel obliged (and pleased/privileged) to say that Breakdown is a stunner as I'm sure you knew with every word.
KF

lucius
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

Hi, Keith...

I owe you a better response than this, but I'm just slammed with the flu. But I wanted to say I'm happy you liked Louisiana Breakdown.

Talk to you apres plague.

Lucius

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 05:14 pm:   

Both Louisiana Breakdown and Aztechs just shipped from Amazon. Somehow, I ended up paying a total of less than $35 for the both of them, including shipping. :-)

lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   

Hey, that's a good deal, I think. As a friend of mine is wont to say, Conga rats!

Flue-riddenly,

Lucius

Claude Lalumière
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

Lucius et al:
My capsule review of Louisiana Breakdown (which originally appeared in my column for The Montreal Gazette) has just been archived at Infinity Plus:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/fantasticfiction/louisianabreakdown.htm
I've also written a more detailed review of it for Flesh & Blood #13.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:42 am:   

Hi, Claude...

Thanks for letting me know.

As regards the piece for your new site, I made a start and I'll finish it over the fourth of July weekend. I'm finishing a book now and that' wiping out any other work right now.

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

It's been a few months since I read either of them, but my brain just did a little fizzling, and . . . is the song that keeps popping up in LIFE DURING WARTIME the same song that Mustaine wrote in LOUISIANA BREAKDOWN?

Wow, that's vague. Perhaps I should go and dig up some page numbers. . .

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   

Lucius,

Congratulations on making the final Stoker ballot with Louisiana Breakdown. It's an excellent book that certainly deserves the honor. Keep it up.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   

Thanks, Josh....Appreciate it....

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   

Mastadge, I must have missed your last year's post about the song.. I don;t keep copies of my books, so I can't check LDW, but I bet it is the same song. Jeez, that's embarrassing. I have a whole buncha songs I wrote when I was in th ebiz, and whenever I need one, I just dig one out. Musta forgot about using this one in LDW. I like using old songs in stories, because I know that they're all better than "Baby., Can You DIg Your Man?" :-)

Jean-Daniel Breque
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:45 am:   

Read LOUISIANA BREAKDOWN quite belatedly; I lent my copy to a friend who was supposed to translate it in French, but he didn't deliver the job and went AWOL with my book--I just read the French translation, done by another guy, and a nice job it is, too... but I digress.
This is indeed a fantastic book, and, I think, much deeper that it seems: a weaving of several stories, done not intrusively but quite subtly.
In a sense, Jack is also Orpheus, and Euridyce stays in Hell at the end. As for that triad of women... aren't they the Kindly Ones?
I think I'm gonna buy myself another copy to savour the text in English...
JD

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   

Well, it does have a little mythology in it. :-)

Glad you enjoyed it, JD

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register