Good Movies 13 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Good Movies 13 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:32 am:   

By Lawrence A on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 03:32 am:

You gonna bother to review Batman Begins, Lucius? Are you even gonna bother to go see it?
   By ben peek on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 03:50 am:

zatoichi is cool.
   By Lucius on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 06:21 am:

Well, Lawrence, I'm definitely down for War Of The Worlds, but I may do BB as part of a review of several films. Then again, I may give it a pass. Depends how hot the weather is.

Here's a definition, Dave. Black comedy is comedy whose primary purpose is not to make one laugh, but to make one feel. I think Leolo is the greatest black comedy ever put on film. And, Stephen, it;s Canadian.
   By Minz on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:14 am:

What about Cindarella Man, Lucius? I actually like Russell Crowe as an actor, though he's had his hand in hollywood pap upon occasion, which CM seems to threaten to be. You gonna take the plunge and piss yourself off with another Hollywood bungling of the Sweet Science?
   By Lucius on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:27 am:

I've already seen it . Crowe deserves better movies, Ron Howard deserves to be drowned in oatmeal. I'm gonna do a brief mention of this and during the course of the review, reveal a little known boxing fact, a pretty amazing one. The boxing in this one if farily authentic 30's style boxing--courtesy of Angelo Dundee--but the depression looks like it was set-dressed by a Dutch Master and Joe Gould was not Braddock's trainer, he was his manager. It's crap, of course.
   By John Klima on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:43 am:

What about High Tension? Or November?

JK
   By Lucius on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:28 am:

I saw Haute Tension on DVD. It's very stylish, but has the moral and sub-textual context of your basic gorefest. I didn't feel the urge to review it, I was more inclined to review, along these lines, Irreversible, and I should have, because of it's creepy morality, but bailed. November--maybe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Strange. I was watching the TCM special on Steve McQueen the other night and everybody involved in the making of BULLITT talked about what a mess the screenplay was, how the movie didn't make any sense, etc. Then, they aired the film and when I watched carefully, the story really DIDN'T make any sense. The next day, all the guys I talked to who love the flick and stayed up to watch all freely acknowledged how lousy it was, but couldn't stop talking about the car chase. It seems like this is an incoherent thriller that made it into the canon solely on fast cars and McQueen's cool.

I can't think of anyone today who could put over a movie like that.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

I think several actors could. I think Ray Winstone could, for one. I think Sean Penn could. Ed Norton pulled off a great skinhead in a bad movie, so I think he could For starters.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

Others. Chow Yun Fat. The Layer Cake guy.
Jean Reno. Gael Garcia Bernal maybe could.

T Andrews
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

I'll watch anything with Chow Yun Fat in it.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 11:31 am:   

Speaking of Steve McQueen, have any of you seen The Tao of Steve? It's actually pretty good for a romantic comedy.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 11:33 am:   

I think I'd really enjoy Leolo, but it's probably one of those good movies that are pretty hard to find. There's a lot of those.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Amazon sells it on DVD. For Starters...

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

Yeah, but I'm thinking renting. I still don't even have a DVD player.:-)

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

It does seem like a movie worth owning though. Amazon.ca does sell it in VHS but it's slightly cheaper on DVD.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

You might check your public library system before buying it--but it's worth buying.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   

Lucius, did you see PRIMER? If so, what were your reactions to it? I just saw it for the first time earlier this week, so I apologize if it's been mentioned in any of the earlier threads...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   

I'm of two minds, Patrick. I first saw Primer in the theare and was intrigued. It's the kind of movie I normally don't appreciate, an intellectual puzzle, but the techie gabble persuaded me to like it somewhat -- it sort of reminded me of Mamet if Mamet were a techie. I had no idea if it made sense and that pissed me off. But I liked it enough, liked the funky tecnology and etc, to borrow a screener and watch it again. This time I hated it, because it still didn't make sense. It's been compared to PI, a movie I did like, but Walter Chaw pointed out that it reminded him more of Robert Connolly's THE BANK --- a lesser film based on a techincal gimmick -- and I agree. So I guess I don't generally like it. I like films that make you think about the way you feel, but like I said I'm not fond of puzzles. So, props to Carruth for making a film for 7000 bucks, but I wish he's made a better one. Probably more than you wanted to know, huh? What'd you think?

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 03:19 am:   

I want to see Primer even more now. As a challenge to see if I can figure it out.

I liked Zatoichi Blind Swordsman. It's one the best, recent, samurai films I've seen. The plot could use a little work, and I'm not sure how the sword fighting holds up with the best in martial art cinema. But it makes up for that with some artful filmaking, which you don't always see in those types of films. I really liked Takeshi Kitano's -- who directed it, and wrote the screenplay -- performance as the blind samurai.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 08:00 am:   

Well, at least Primer's short, clocking in at under 80 minutes. If you figure it out, don't tell me 'cause I've already spent too much time on it.

Watch Fireworks by Takeshi. It's his masterpiece.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   

I liked PRIMER, although I was definitely confused by it, particularly early on when they talked about Granger, and Carruth's character looked different enough in a few scenes that I thought he was a different character, and I was trying to figure out if it was one of the original four guys in the garage. But I liked talking about the mystery afterwards. Carruth himself has said he didn't really know the answer to the "big" question of the movie, because the MAIN characters don't know what's happened (and CAN'T know because of the situation, which makes for tense situations between them). So I guess all you can do is speculate, and that at least was interesting.

I showed it to my high school senior SF Lit class last week and got some good discussion out of it. I like how all that techie talk is real, for the most part, until the SF idea comes in. One kid said he even understood most of the techie stuff up front, having been in electronics and science classes. Anyway, it was a good way to discuss the conventions of time travel, paradoxes, causality, and so on.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 07:29 pm:   

Yeah, I agree. It made for an interesting discussion or two, there's no doubt about it. I don't need to have everything tied up, in fact I like it when there's a lose end or two, but my level of frustration with this flick was way high, and I guess that's why I reacted so strongly.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   

FIREWORKS was also released under the original title, which was HANA BI, if you have trouble finding it under the first. also worth checking out is SONTATINE (?) and VIOLENT COP, if for nothing of watching what i reckon is kitano's evolution up to HANA BI.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   

I need to tri PI again. I remember renting it when it first became available, and I believe I was dog-tired at the end of the day and kept nodding off. So I lost it.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 06:15 am:   

My problem is I don't really like SCIENCE fiction. Terry Carr used to tell me that his eyes glazed over when he came to the techie parts, and I guess mine do as well. PRIMER and I weren't a good match. PI's OK, but I don't know if it's must see DVD. I didn't see why it had to be an indie film, why a major studio didn't turn it into a massive thing starring movie stars. Primer's actually more interesting, just not as coherent. Well, anyway, Carruth will have the opportunity to get it right.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   

Not all Kitano is great, but it's all worth watching. GETTING ANY? is a send-up of Japanese film genres which is both truly lame and hilarious. A SCENE BY THE SEA is a funny and touching story of a deaf surfer. SONATINE was my first exposure to Kitano and in some ways remains my favorite. KIKUJIRO has comic moments with timing worthy of Chaplin. BOILING POINT is another great violent thriller. I don't remember much about KIDS RETURN--I think it was the first thing he made after his motorcycle accident, and he didn't star in it. I didn't particularly enjoy DOLLS, but I find parts of it hard to shake. You can get a DVD of ZATOICHI with comes with SONATINE for free...that's as good an introduction as any, and you'll still have plenty of great films to look forward to (such as, yes, HANA BI). And most of his movies are scored by the awesome Joe Hisaishi (who does most of Miyazaki's movies as well).

StephenB
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:23 am:   

City Of God was awsome.

I also watched Zulu with Micheal Kane, which I didn't like that much. I thought it was kind of cheesy, unrealistic, with a little propaganda. I didn't like the characters that much and I thought their glorification was dishonest manipulation. In some ways I think it did try to portray both sides, and is was based on a historic battle. Maybe in its time it was better.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:42 am:   

I just figured, why didn't the Zulus just overwhelm them, instead of sending their warriors in increments?

Meirelles next movie, The Constant Garden, looks worth seeing.

MarkL: Have you seen Miyazaki's latest?

paulw
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:21 am:   

I just saw Primer on Saturday. It's intriguing, and the first movie I can ever remember watching that had me sitting down with a pad of paper afterward and trying to sketch out its implications. Does the movie follow through on its presentation of time travel in a logically consistent way, or does it rely on its fragmented style and the tendency of some viewers to bow down in worship to anything that flatters their intelligence, whether it makes sense or not? I'm still not sure of the answer, but I do think the movie follows through to a considerable extent on its implications -- the only thing is, I'm afraid I'd need to sit down and watch it about 5 times, very carefully, in order to be sure, and I just can't make myself care enough to do so.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

Paul, I watched it a second time with Carruth's commentary on. Mostly he talked about how he filmed it, but every once in a while he had some interesting plot/thematic tidbits. I watched it a third time because I showed it to my SF class. <g>

One of the implications it follows up on is the fact that many of history's scientific discoveries were/are actually mistakes. These guys were trying to do one thing and something else happened that was monumental in its scope. The device could have had practical real-world applications, but they milked it for their own personal gains...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

Saw CINDERELLA MAN on Friday night. Not bad for a good, old-fashioned, three-hanky popcorn movie, sort of the type Gary Cooper would have made in his time. But not special or exceptional in any way. The fight scenes were visceral, but the portrayal of Max Baer was so wildly distorted, it makes me wonder why his family hasn't spoken out. Howard makes him out to be a rude, arrogant braggart and bully who seems proud of killing two guys in the ring, when this was far from the case.

Wouldn't the "rags to riches" story have been good enough without slandering Baer's memory? When Raoul Walsh made GENTLEMAN JIM in 1942, he made a David vs. Goliath movie that was effective, yet depicted mutual respect between the fighters. Why can't Howard?

MarcL
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

StephenB, no, I haven't seen HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE yet...comes out this month in Seattle.

I know Lucius has a solid block against any kind of animated film, but Miyazaki is one of the few film artists who could adapt one of Lucius's fantasies faithfully, with themes intact, if he wanted to.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:37 am:   

marc: SONATINE is one of my favourites, too. my first film was BROTHER of kitano's, which i didn't much care for, but i saw HANA BI a bit later which i loved. oddly, i never got much into BOILING POINT. just didn't click with me.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   

Ben, Sonatine has the purest "beach idyll" sequence out of the many in his films. I enjoyed BROTHER but it's not one I'd go back to. And I've only seen BOILING POINT once, right after seeing SONATINE...I'd really like to see it again. I remember bizarre antic humor followed by violence. Have you seen A SCENE BY THE SEA? It's got all the humor of the later movies, none of the violence. Great stuff.

HOWL'S CASTLE opens here tomorrow...trying to see how quickly I can get there with my family, in competition with the numerous geeks of the Puget Sound Eastside... We're all Miyazaki fans at my house. I first saw fansubs of LAPUTA and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE about 15 years ago and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Our oldest daughter grew up watching those and MONONOKE HIME (and TOTORO, in English), and developed a strong affinity for the Japanese language as a result.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   

Birds talking in squeaky voices...Bah humbug?

MarcL
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   

Saw HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE tonight. It was good, although it feels like a compression of all his previous movies into one. Probably not the one I'd tell Lucius to see first. I'm not quite sure what to think. SPIRITED AWAY was immediately and obviously a masterpiece, and people responded to it that way; it was unlike anything else. This feels like more of the same, instead of something completely new.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 03:57 am:   

marc: love those beach scenes in SONATINE. with BOILING POINT the end turned me off it most--i think if it had had a stronger end, but nah. haven't seen SCENE BY THE SEA, but i'll keep an eye for it.

i like miyazaki films, but i honestly thought SPIRITED AWAY was half a film with an end tacked on when he realised he'd put too much into the first half of the film. i much prefer PRINCESS MONONOKE and NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WINDS. i thought the environmentalism themes strengthened those films, too.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:12 am:   

Hey, ben, well, KIKI and TOTORO are my favorites. Transcendant films, for me. Mononoke and Nausicaa are powerful, epic, landmark sorts of things...I like them, but I love the smaller ones.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

Before a recent showing of the grisly and stylish, but unexceptional French slasher shocker HIGH TENSION, they showed a trailer for NIGHT WATCH. It looks unbelievable. If it's half as good as the coming attraction, it will leave THE MATRIX in the muck.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

Yeah, Night Watch has more energy than the Matrix, more unique a feel, though its materials are not unique.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

You've got to be at least a little curious to see what Christopher Nolan does with the Batman franchise. Could be interestingly skewed...

minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

Early reports from around here are that the new Batman is pretty good--standing head and shoulders above the other live batman movies...

Of course, head and shoulders above that gutterwash would put its nose at about curb level, but I'll probably go see it. The only complaints I heard from three different folks were that the fights were shot too tight and upclose to really follow.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

My review is entitled, Grease Up the Batpole, Georgette. Here Come Them Summer Movies Again....

I review Cinderella Man and Batman...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

Should be up tomorrow....

Adam-Troy
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   

Movie I want to see, and a good example of the kind of film Hollywood doesn't even touch --

The following is a link to an acclaimed fact-based indie drama about a St. Louis
family, owners of a video store, targeted by the Jeebus Nazis for making THE
LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST available for rental

http://www.beholder.com/the_story.htm

The Jeebus Nazis had also demanded the removal of other films including SPLASH
("promotes bestiality"). They blackmailed the local DA, who frequented prostitutes,
into charging the store with selling obscene material. They also threatened
bodily harm to the family's children. The family was financially ruined, but
they set up a "sting" that destroyed several of their tormentors.

The story of the financing of the film is almost as fascinating as the drama itself.

I have ordered a copy. Will report on its quality when available.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 04:43 pm:   

Hey, it's got Priscilla "Three's Company" Barnes in it! It's GOT to be good! (Just kidding...it sounds like a great story. I'd love to see it.)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   

And Pris is in the new Rob Zombie movie, which has a really scary-looking trailer.

Lawrence A
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:40 am:   

Saw 'The life and death of Peter Sellers'. This is worth seeing, although I did have quite a few quibbles with it. It's always the case though when doing a film bio, what to omit, what to include etc. I gotta say the Geoff Rush's perfomance is brilliant, his portrayal of Sellers is uncannily good, esp his portrayals of Sellers's numerous<a href="http://216.130.188.208/cgi-bin/ezlclk.fcgi?id=10110" target="_blank"> famous </a>characters, Clousseau and Dr Strangelove especially (I mean he is Sellers in these roles, it is bloody eerie -the Stranglove scene with his mother especially so).

Sellers's self-absorption, philandering, naivite, immaturity and cruelty are all shown up, but Rush makes us sympathise with him.

Lawrence A
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:42 am:   

got bugs on my PC, don't click on that link in my post above - don't know what it is.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

Saw that excellent Sellers bio after reading the book "Mr. Strangelove," and, IMHO, it seems like they actually soft-pedalled what a dysfunctional mama's boy he really was. Truly an odd duck. A genius, but definitely a narcissistic oddball.

Yeah, him eating lunch with his mom as Dr. Strangelove was unsettling, as was her response to the experience: "I didn't see him." I thought it was pretty imaginative the way they had Rush morph into all the significant characters in his life, as if to show he was a chameleon w/o a personality of his own.

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   

I watched several movies Lucius mentioned. The Intended. High Wind in Jamaica. 2009: Lost Memories. The Intended was well done, but didn't interest me for some reason (perhaps I was just in the wrong mood). High Wind did have a good pirate portrayal (not villainous or romanticized). 2009 was good.

I watched all on a new surround sound system. It's strange that indie (Intended) or foreign (2009) films have better surround sound mixes than big blockbusters. The latter are largely stereo with occasional sound effects in other speakers. The former were completely immersive mixes, with dialog and effects from all around.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   

The Intended's a weird movie. I know what you're saying Bob--I felt sorta the same way, but it nagged ar me and I watched it again, and I think I'll watch it again because I just know what to make of it and I want to figure it out...

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:45 am:   

Well, I saw the movie (HEART OF THE BEHOLDER) today.

Am sorry to report, first, that it LOOKS like a movie shot on a shoestring budget, with minimal talent for blocking actors so that they look like they're doing more than standing around waiting to recite their lines, and second, that both the writing and some of the developments as dramatized
go FAR beyond my personal bullshit meter.

It is pathetically easy to see where the true story ends and the bullshit ends.

For instance, I am more than willing to believe that the Judge and Jury watching the "obscene" material in the pornography trial broke out into incredulous laughter -- it probably happened -- but I will not believe that they all tilted their heads in the exact same comedic way.

I somehow refuse to believe, among other things, that the aggrieved hubbie contrived a place as the masked opponent in a game of paintball, versus the folks who tormented him.

I also refuse to believe, without further evidence, that the aggrieved wife PERSONALLY participated in the prostitution sting when she thought the police woman wouldn't show up on time -- a development played here for low comedy, as she pretends to be a naughty nurse while her hubbie listens in.

The film blows a powerful real-life story with insulting, tone-deaf hokum.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:42 am:   

But was Priscilla Barnes still hot? :-)

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

I don't know who that is, really. I think she was one of the Jesus ladies.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

Double-checked. She played the madam.

She was okay.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

Too hot for a Jesus lady, I'll bet...

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

I saw John Huston's African Queen. It's pretty good. Both Bogart and Hepburn give some nice performances. Very Hollywood. Especially the ending.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

I'd like to send a snappy salute out to the members of that British comedy show who squirted water in Tom Cruise's face...

Well done, guys. But next time, use something messier...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

Jeez, but did you see Cruise's reaction? Wow. Talk about a mini-meltdown.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

He's a looney. Scientologist, in-the-closet gay, all that delusion and depression got to come out. When he's old, he'll put Howard Hughe to shame.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

I'm loving those pictures of Katie H. with that "take me to your leader" expression on her face...:-)

MarcL
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

It's more like, "Take me to the Bridge, Theta Master!"

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   

I heard a rumor this morning that Katie's deal with Cruise is five years, $5 million, and no sex required.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:43 pm:   

...or wanted.... :-)

Here's anotther Cruise story. Scarlet Johnanson signed on for MI3 and Cruise kept bugging her to go out to dinner. So finally she say ok and goes over to his house and spends three hours listening to him talk about Scientology. Understandably she gets antsy and says, What about dinner? He leads her to the dining room, throws open the door, and there's the high priest or whatever of Scientology sitting at the table, and she says, No thanks, really, and leaves. On the way home she calls her agent and tells him get me out of this fucking movie!

On a more cheerful note--weirder, anyway--the director of Boys Don't Cry has bought the rights to Childhood's End and is developing it.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:22 am:   

Jeez, for a million a year and no sex, I would marry him! :-) (But I guess that would defeat the purpose...)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:26 am:   

I notice MI III couldn't attract an A-list female lead. (Even Terminator 3 was able to get Claire Danes to fill in at the last minute.)

Are actresses growing reluctant to work with the Cruiser?

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

I'm thinking she's underpaid. Make those Scientologists pay 'til they bleed.

That being said, while Cruise should've just laughed it off, I actually don't think his reaction was out of line. Regardless of how much a talentless freakaziod he may be, he's at the premier for his movie, he spends hours in the heat greeting his fans, then gets pranked. And in this day and age, who the hell knows what's being squirted in your face.

Don't get me wrong, the Oprah performance, his hiding from himself and his sexual orientation in scientology of all places.. First rate nutjob. But if I'd been him, I'da been tempted to deck the son-of-a-bitch, and make certain he's taken into custody at least long enough to learn if it was just water...

I can't believe I just defended Tom Cruise. UGH.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:53 am:   

Weirdest fact of all: the guy was in seminary to become a priest before he became an actor. How's that for a double whammy?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:10 am:   

I've only heard the Johnason story. Ever notice how Nicole Kidman, when asked about Cruise, goes Manchurian, gets all stiff-faced, and says like TC is the kindest, warmest, bravest human being....etc.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

Minz, come on, man! If ever someone needed to be pied, it's Tom. Plus a squirting mike... Come on!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

Yeah, he definitely looked like a poltroon lecturing that guy like a headmaster. At a time when he is being perceived as a humorless, control freak religious zealot, how much better would it have been to be lose and make a joke out of it? How would Bill Murray have handled things?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

Well, that's why he's a humorless control freak etc.

Murray...He would have squirred himself and sung a lounge version of Lola, using the offending mike.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

That's squirted himself.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Cruise deserves heaps o' scorn, derision and embarassment, and his little lecture does reflect poorly on his Supreme Psychoness, but still...they shot John Lennon, Steffi Graf. I certainly can't blame him for taking the precaution of having them arrested, just in case it wasn't just water.

It is interesting that it almost looks like he's ready to laugh at it as he's being squirted, before psychoschoolmarm kicks in. For a brief instant, he's just a guy who's being pranked, before he remembers he's TOM CRUISE. And knows better. He is a jackass. And all the Page Six coverage about the marriage being a sham was a joy to read (over someone's shoulder on the subway...)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:56 am:   

Lucius' story is even crazier than he imagines. From defamer.com...

"After striking out with Johansson, Cruise reportedly turned his attentions to 24-year-old Jessica Alba, 22-year-old Kate Bosworth, and 18-year-old Lindsay Lohan, before settling on the 26-year-old Holmes. As far we know, Cruise’s War of the Worlds co-star, Dakota Fanning, was never under consideration."

Thank God he didn't get his clutches on Alba!!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Minz, it was Monica Seles, and it was Colonel Mustard with a knife, at center court. Steffi Graf only had to marry Andre Agassi.

What am I saying?! Oh, the humanity!

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

Oh yeah, it was a crazed Steffi Graf fan with a knife who did in Monica Seles to get Steffi the #1 ranking back (and it worked)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:22 am:   

You guy's are too easy, Fuck Cruise. He's a hopeless whacko and probably does evil.

Has Dakota had a physical since WOTW?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

It's a shame that we've been cheated of the Cruise-Lindsay Lohan pairing.

Now, THAT would have been a couple worth buying the tabs for!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

Who's she?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:59 am:   

Former child star turned overripe, anorexic wild child actress/singer ("Mean Girls," "Herbie: Fully Loaded"). Veddy skeddy, keeds... But fun!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Oh. Nobody....

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

But it's fun to imagine the fireworks that would have been generated by the Sea Org watchdogs trying to tether that little vixen!

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   

Just watched, for review, George Sluizer's THE STONE RAFT on DVD: a very
odd Spanish film involving a spanish teacher followed around everywhere he goes
by a flock of starlings, a young woman who unravels thousands of feet of yarn
from a single frayed sock, and a strange cataclysm causing a rift in the Pyrenees
that separates Spain and Portugal from Europe and sends the entire Iberian Peninsula
on a collision course with the Azores. No, I'm not kidding.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   

I believe that's the Jose Saramago novel, thought I haven't seen the movie.

Adam-Troy Castro
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   

It is.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   

Sounds like a good ol' Indian (pre-bollywood) plot. Was there singing and dancing?

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   

Finally watched INFERNAL AFFAIRS last night, the HK action flick. It was certainly slick and the performances were appropriately overripe, but I did have the feeling I'd seen it all before. And once the American remake is finished, I will be able to say that quite emphatically.

I've got LAMERICA and THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI on the stack now, and should get to them this week.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   

Lamerica is a beaut iful flick... Hope you enjoy it. I just bought it.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   

Have you seen MAROONED IN IRAQ yet?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   

Yep. Bought it. I'm a sucker for moves about musicians

Marguerite
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:30 pm:   

Ray Winstone is the shit. Should I be glad he's never made it over here in the States?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   

Yep. He's the shit. And Yep, you should be glad. I hear that he's doing MacBeth as a film with Tim Roth directing

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:43 am:   

If you haven't seen Gary Oldman's NIL BY MOUTH, check it out. Winstone is unbelievable.

I saw only part of his PBS HENRY VIII. Anyone see the whole thing? Was it amazing?

Carole C
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

I kind of thought Ray Winstone did not make a good Henry VIII - don't know why exactly, could've been the accent. Whatever the London accent was at the time, I'm betting that Henry VIII spoke posh instead.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   

I kind of liked that he played Henry as sort of a crude, lusty, man's-man type. Made it more believable that he would treat his wives with such disdain.

Carole C
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   

I dunno, I just keep picturing Winstone in Wayne and Waynetta slob (British comedy duo). Waynetta is played brilliantly by Kathy Burke, who also was good as Henry VIII's oldest daughter Mary ('Bloody Mary'), so the two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Gary Oldman is alway's great though. Incidentally his sister plays another (not so bad) Waynetta character in Eastenders.

Marguerite
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

I got the Henry VIII DVD for Xmas 2004. Yeah, the accent was off-putting--and there was at least a proto-cockney accent by that time, which Henry wouldn't have had--but damn if he didn't look the part. Other than that, it wasn't amazing. Unfortunately not focussed enough on the other issues that beset Henry and that he visited on others. Plus Helena Bonham-Carter never had her hair up. Drove me bonkers.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Lucius--

Wow, Winstone as Macbeth in a film directed by Tim Roth? I wonder who's writing the screenplay?!?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

I heard about it late last year. Roth said he'd always wanted to see MacB played by a real person, and said it was the works. I imagine Roth has a hand in the screenplay.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   

Well, that was a joke, but maybe they have thrown Shakespeare to the wind for this one.

I don't see how anyone can top Laura Linney's performance of Lady Macbeth in Mystic River.

Humorless
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   

I can...

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   

That too was a joke. Mystic River, as most on this board have already agreed, was horrible. And that was a highlight of horror!

The Details
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   

Please make clear your jokes in the future by appending a parenthetical enclosure containing a j, like so: (j).

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

Did anyone see Cruise on Today this AM? My god. They've absolutely turned him into a scientology robot. It's awful to see--I kinda felt bad for him. He kept repeating over and over, as if programmed, whenever he didn't have a handy answer for a question, I'm just living my life.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:27 am:   

Oh yeah, and Kate Holmes was in a corner of the studio throughout, a frozen smile implanted on the face...

Carole C
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

'I'm just living my life' sounds like a fantastic and handy phrase that could be used for most situations. Remember it... Remember it...

MarcL
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

I saw Batman Begins last night. Stylish waste of time and Nolan, some of it mighty cheesy. While Bale was completely generic in his Dark Night mode, I thought he did a great job when he was playing Bruce Wayne on the verge of madness, preparing to avenge his parents in the courthouse. All the Ninja stuff was hilarious. When Morgan Freeman showed up, that was even funnier. I guess it ain't a movie without Morgan Freeman in a supportive supporting role. Rutger Hauer also completely wasted, and Liam Neeson reprising his homily-dispensing role from Star Wars. I have a feeling I'm going to be a lot happier with Land of the Dead.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

I think I'm gonna be a lot happier with WOTW. Batman Begins, for all it;s faux Grim and Grimmer feel, was just Batman without the comedy.

I'm not even going to bother with Land Of The Dead. Shaun of the Dead made it irrelevant. I'll wait and see what Fresnadillo can do with 56 Days Later or whatever.

Carole, It's burned into my brain

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   

What, you'll go see an Opie movie but pass on the innovator of Zombie movie's latest?

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   

Not to mention Speilberg's latest sap fest with scientologie's insane poster boy making ten percent of the profits!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

Morgan Freeman's also in the WOTW. As the Narrator. Oh My God.

I found the zonbies of 28 Days later a lot more interesting than Romero's tired old hulks. Far as I'm concerned, Romero shot his wad in the first film. Though I liked Martin.

Have some hope for the EFX in WOTW...might be cool enough to justify a viewing. Definitely will be better tthan the George Pal version. I hear there's already talk of making it a trilogy???

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   

I liked 28 Days Later, but I found it more in the Cronenberg, Rabid tradition, over Romero's.

But in LOTD I've heard the zombies have evolved and are more menacing.

The way I see it though, Romero's been making low-budget horror movies for awhile now. He's a bit of a maverick director considering all the trouble he's had just to get his movies made lately. Because of the recent Zombie movie trend, finally he gets a decent budget to make a yes, probably more commercially appealing movie than he's used to. But it'll be better then most summer movies. I wouldn't mind seeing Romero do well with this, it's about time he gets paid a little. I'd rather him get my money than Spielberg, who's got so much money he doesn't know what to do with it all. He'll probably buy another couple houses and maybe a new porsch or two for his kids. At least Romero will probably use the money to make the more interesting movie he really WANTS to make, more along the lines of Martin. And Cruise: I'll bet alot of his money will go straight into climbing further up the scientology ladder. Don't tell me all his publicity stunts have got to you? He's an idiot, and entirely uninteresting.

I don't see how SOTD will make Land irrelevant. Shaun was really just a romantic comedy with a zombie movie setting. Not the real deal.

I see your point about WOTW. It will be visual spectacle.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   

I think Cruise is very interesting. As I said here, I think when he's in his 60s, he'll make Howard Hughes look straight. I'm thinking of doing a story...

I've seen clips of LOTD....Boring.

SOTD made Romero's zombies so laughable I know I can't ever take them seriously--I was snickering through the preview.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

Well I can tell you find him interesting considering how much you talk about him. So he's a rich closet homosexual asshole in denial, with the IQ of slime mold. I have closet homosexual friends in denial who are more interesting than him. But you're clearly not alone, I'm sure many American's are also fascinated with him.

I don't want to take up much more of your time but I'll say this: I find this all a little ironic considering you're the one who got me to rethink my loyalty or appreciation of seemingly uncorporate, coporate-style-big-star-rock-bands. I'm glad you did too. I think you're a cool guy and I like what you stand for. So I find this a bit surprising...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

Stephen, having an early cocktail? I didn't say I liked him. If I must be precise, I find his devolution into eccentricity interesting. I expect it to continue at a geometric progression and I think it'll be a most curious decline. Cruise's performance in Vanilla Sky was really an act of public self-loathing (that's how I saw it, at any rate) and I think we'll see more of that. I don't follow his every move, and I find him basically uninteresting as an actor, but it's rare you get to see a personality self-destruct in public, and in that regard i unabashedly find him interesting. This doesn't mean I'll attend most of his movies or tune in his interviews, but I'll keep an eye out for his more vivid spasms.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   

Back at you, because I never said I thought you liked him. I can see what you're saying. It is an interesting public decline. I think we'll witness a bitter decline in his greedy ice-queen ex-wife too -- as she ages in Hollywood and her beauty fades.

Still, I wouldn't call him as interesting as Howard Hughes.

And, again, I've heard that Romero addressed the issue of slow lumbering zombies in his latest. Don't judge the entire movie based on a few previews.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:09 pm:   

I saw Land of the Dead with a gang of co-workers and most generally thought it was awful. I probably liked it more than most of them, but it's not like I expected Romero to turn into a brilliant director out of the blue; he hit all the notes I expected him to hit and not much else. It felt like a John Carpenter movie, actually, although with slightly better dialog. A few good laughs.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   

Now, now....like a John Carpenter movie? I think The Thing's a terrific movie.

But yeah, I figured it wasn't so hot.

PM
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   

All things being Cruise I have to give him a little due for Vanilla Sky...Likewise for Eyes Wide Shut...

He could have continued to attempt potential blockbuster projects.

He's a good looking guy and it's easy to fixate on his appearance rather than his acting. He has to don a mask and/or disfigure his appearance to call attention to his acting.

I'm not suggesting that he's a great actor but it's not difficult to think that he's frustrated that audiences aren't drawn more to his acting than his appearance.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:51 pm:   

Perhaps if he chose "actors" movies more often, he wouldn't have that excuse. I give him no credit for Eyes WIde Shut.. I thought he was dreadful. Vanilla Sky is interesting for its perversity, but as a movie It blows -- which is weird, because it's close to a scene by scene remake...

Enough of cruise...

MarcL
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   

I like plenty of John Carpenter movies, and even the weak ones have their moments, but the dialog is often hilariously bad. What I really meant was that the whole crew of post-apoc zombie hunters had a Carpenter vibe.

Marguerite
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 12:12 am:   

Rutger Hauer also completely wasted, and Liam Neeson reprising his homily-dispensing role from Star Wars.

Thank you! It seems, though, that "Rutger Hauer being wasted" in his film roles is a given, at least in US films.

Liam Neeson is also being wasted as well. Seems now what actresses of a certain age used to fear is now being applied to once-respected actors of a certain age--not the same type of roles, of course--but they seem to all be getting the equivalent of 'magic negro' roles. In a decade or so we'll see Denzel Washington, Bill Murray, Johnny Depp, Christopher Walken--God bless Christopher Walken--in the roles of wise mentor with valuable life experience.

*sigh*

On a not unrelated topic, when did DeNiro jump the shark? Was it with Midnight Run?

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:44 am:   

PM: I don't think Tom Cruise can act. It's his appearance that draws people too him.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:42 am:   

I don't know when DeNiro turned into a hack, but I think it may have been earlier....certainly MR is a low-water mark. Generally, I think DeNiro's overrated. He's not very bright, and that makes him a director's puppet, rather like Guy Pearce.

It would difficult to imagine Walken or Depp or Murray going the magic negro route. They've got too much class, but maybe...

Hauer, for the most part has become a B = picture guy. I assume that's by choice. No one makes so many questionable choices unless they're digging on the money or something.

Got Leolo om DVD. I'm happy

Marguerite
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

It's interesting, isn't it, what came of all those young powerhouses in The Deerhunter. Either they're institutions (Good and bad) or they're unheard of. (Or, well, dead.)

Class? Liam Neeson has a lot of class. Hell, Gabriel Byrne has class, but look what he does with it! (Pausing for a moment while I rip at my hair)

Nope, Depp is going to go all wise confidant on us, I can feel it. What will save Walken? (A prescription of cowbell.) A movie wherein he gets the freakin' girl.

I think what would save Murray is if he chooses to play an unredeemable badass. Not going all Training Day on us, but something more shocking. (Let's face it, Training Day was about as shocking as a Victorian recreationist dance-a-thon.)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:50 am:   

Training Day was a piece of crap.

I;ve only seen Liam Neeson's Hollywood flicks. I remember him being good in this little movie, a thriller set in England with Laura San Giacomo, but that's about it. He does have a great screen presence, and one would think he could become a real movie star/actor. But thusfar...not so much.

What will save Walken and Murray, they're in their late fifties, early sixties, and haven't copped out yet. Which is amazing, given the fact that Walken will do anything for money.

I wonder what would have happened if he'd gotten the role of Han Solo.....

I defer to you on Dep, though he's shown no inclination to take that route...

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

I saw an Irish zombie movie the other night called, "Dead Meat", which is worth mentioning because it's pretty good for a zombie flick. It's about the Mad Cow disease spreading to humans, turning them into zombies. I found it mostly funny but there are also some tense scenes. It's filmed in some really nice locations in Ireland -- castle ruins an example. I thought the cinematography was pretty good too. There's one scene where you have a cow dragging a person from a car with its teeth, which I found paticularily funny. Kind of 28 Days Later meets Shaun of the Dead. Worth checking out if you're interested in a zombie movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, or just an Irish horror movie in general because I don't think many of them have been made.

Marguerite
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Ah--you're talking about Under Suspicion Haven't seen it.

As for Christopher Walken, the site Fametracker, which never fails to cheer me up, says of him:

Apparently, he'll do anything if you just ask him. You don't even have to ask him nicely or pay him very much. What else will Christopher Walken do, if you ask him? Why, lots of things!

Make you some flapjacks

Pick you up at the airport

Walk you down the aisle at your wedding

Co-sign a personal loan

Write a blurb for the jacket of your novel

Alphabetize your CDs

Visit your mom in the hospital

Help you move

Suicide Kings

Give you his last piece of gum

Let you cheat off him on your Calculus final

Bury your dog (after it dies)

Play a cowboy at your nephew's fifth birthday party

Relief-pitch in the eighth

Your taxes

Get your back in a bar fight

Wait for the cable guy

Skim your pool

Make you a prom dress

Feed your cats when you go out of town

Haggle with a used-car dealer

Confirm your alibi

Delay your spouse from coming home when you've planned a surprise party

Give you a pedicure

Be your child's godfather

Mop up your basement if it floods

Conceal evidence

Tell you if you have something on your chin

A little dance

Bruce
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

Reminds me of something Alexei Sayle said:

A friend is someone who'll help you move.
A good friend is someone who'll help you move a body.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

I think the going rate is 16000 dollars..

Dead Meat sounds pretty cool, Steven.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   

I think the going rate is 16000 dollars..

Dead Meat sounds pretty cool, Steven.

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   

Oh yeah, Land of the Dead features a magical negro. I was joking before I went in about how I expected it to have one, and it did. I swear I hadn't seen a single trailer.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 05:53 am:   

Well, that changes my mind. I can't miss a single magical negro movie

Nels
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   

I think I'd rather eat my own sick than join the vast wodges of drooling fanboys clustering inside a cinema showing "Land of the Dead". As someone said, "Shaun of the Dead" kinda made it look a little bit redundant, didn't it?

However, I saw the original version of "The Big Sleep" for the first time t'other day. Bloody great -- I'd only ever seen that remake (was it by Robert Altman?) with Elliot Gould in it. Bogey and Bacall fucking crackled.

Oh, and my girlfriend took me to see the new Batman movie. I think everything that can be said has been said about it, apart from maybe how jowly Chris Bale looks once inside the rubber gimp suit (Holy over-tight chin prosthetics, Batman!).

Tonight, I shall mostly be watching the Gatti Mayweather rerun, and then maybe Build My Gallows High, with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Yup, that's Eliot Gould.

Gatti-Mayweather, to quote from War Of the Worlds -- this isn't a war, it's an extermination.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   

I'll probably wait till the cheap theatres for both Land and War of the Worlds.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:37 pm:   

Lucius, it's not just a magic negro, it's a magic zombie negro. In addition, I'm given to understand there is also a magic retarded gentleman. How can you pass that up? Stephen King should sue.

I just got all three seasons of Cracker, as well as Millennium season two, and I think I shall let those dictate my viewing habits. Oh, and the Peckinpah film festival running here in Portland this month. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia tonight, Ride the High Country and Major Dundee next week.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   

Ride the High Country is an awesome western, and Garcia's cool--Major Dundee's too Hestonian for me.

Land of the Dead...Pass.

PM
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   

Perhaps Cruise and Spielberg will teamup for a remake of Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia...

The Westerner series reminds us that frequently the good die young...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:34 pm:   

And maybe they'll dance the Nutcracker together on top of the wedding cake....

?????

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:57 pm:   

Millennium Season 2 was the height of the series, and it peaked with the final episode.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   

(J)?

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   

Speaking of Magical Negroes, who invented the magical negro? Surely not King?

MarcL
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 01:09 am:   

Just watched Lamerica...thanks for the rec, it is a great movie, haunting as hell. Reminded me a bit of Time of the Gypsies. I read a book years ago about Gypsies in Albania; maybe that's partly why.

Would you like a subscription to Cat Fancier to go with that copy of Leolo?

Marguerite
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:53 am:   

Probably James Fenimore Cooper. Or earlier. The term magic negro, of course, refers to any literary character who's vaulted above humanity and yet is the member of a previously (partially) despised people.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:21 am:   

Yep....Cooper would be a good bet. Thanks.

Marc, I would love a subscription to Cat Fancier...does it still come with the sucide kit?

There are image in Lamerica that have stuck with me. That t errible desolate bar where they're watching an Italian game show; the moonscape of Albania as seen from the truck, etc.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

It occurs to me that the greatest movies I've seen in the last few years tend to include scenes involving trucks crammed with people travelling through desolate landscapes. This seems to sum up the experience of modern life for vast numbers of people.

Oh yeah, the bar...that was quite an image.

JV
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

Marc L:

And even of yester-year--if you include The Sorceror with Rob Scheider (sic?).

jeffV

jv
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Roy

jv

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:36 am:   

Wages of Fear....yes!

JV
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:49 am:   

Unfortunately, I've only seen the remake. Although Wages of Fear is on my list to see. I understand it's ten times better than Sorceror.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

It;s pretty great! But Sorceror is way better than average remake...

MarcL
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Interesting article about Cruise...he'll certainly have the funds to do a Howard Hughes.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2121617/fr/rss/

I love Wages of Fear and Sorcerer. It's a faithful and powerful remake, but the original is much better. Keep meaning to pick up the Criterion edition. I hope Criterion restored the part where Rob Schneider watches the TNT-laden truck driving across the rope bridges and shouts out, "You can do eet!"

PM
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   

Millenium it's a shame that it could not have ended better...

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:23 am:   

But the end of Season 2...magnifique!

PM
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   

Static.....

Yes, Season 2 ended well...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register