Newer Draft Thread Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Newer Draft Thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

By Lucius on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 07:59 pm:

Huh?

Buffalo and AZ and Minnnesota and San Diego and Chicago and Dallas all did good.

Baltimore, unfortunately, does have a team.

Re Cleveland -- What the fuck? I keep telling myself they must have a plan, but what?
I'm at a loss. Get in your Brown-a-tar mode and figure it out for us all, will ya?
   By Minz on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 08:58 pm:

I'm a little surprised Anttaj hasn't been drafted, despite the pos mj test. Legit size and speed are not easy to find. (Yes, I know he has a rep for taking downs off as well...still, three of the DTs drafted weigh 290 or less.)

As for the Pack, having Rodgers land in our lap would seem to have been a stroke of luck, if scouts, etc, are right and he's right there with Alex Smith. We'll See.

I don't know squat about Nick Collins, but Bassoon Univ?. He may have the measurables, but this is the big leagues. Hope that works out. He could've been had in the fourth round, easy. Ugh. I'd have rather had them go for Sensabaugh, if you're gonna stretch. At least he played on year with a real school (UNC) and was even named a captain by his teammates, so he has to have some intangibles. Sigh.

Terrence Murphy, as a "draft best guy on board" is a decent pick. While we could've used defense, this guy is a returner as well, and we definitely need to shore that up. Okay pick, though woulda preferred defense.

I really like that we got a couple of early fourth rounders for our third round pick. Gives us 3 fourth rounders, and Oakland's 5th & 6th. We're sitting good for tomorrow.
   By Lucius on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:13 pm:

Yeah, Collins was a serious reach...

You don't know why some guys drop. Antaj was considered a solid second rounder, despite his taking downs off.

I don't know, I'm starting to think that the Mist of Incompetence off Lake Eerie is for real. Or that the Browns are cursed (i mean, that should have been apparent before now given the Drive, The Fumble, the Interception, et al.)
That was a really stupid fucking draft. Really stupid. What are they gonna do for corners? You can't compete with rookie fourth and fifth rounders. What are the gonna do for D linemen? And you just know Braylon's gonna be a nightmare....

Ecch!
   By Lucius on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:30 pm:

Ariz had a marvelous draft -- They added CB Eric Green and LB Darryl Blackstock in the third. Fantastic draft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   

I posted while you were creating this (only slightly shorter) thread...what I said was...

Yeah. It's always like that with the Browns. If Bernie Kosar hadn't figured out how to engineer his own selection...well, I shudder to even think about it. They would've taken a MAC-level back-up long snapper or some damned thing.

And Arizona is set to make a run. I mean, they're running against Seattle and St. Louis, so it only requires a fast sidle, but still...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   

Well, the Cardinals did good, anyway. Maybe I'll become a Cardinal fan. My mind's still fogged -- I think the Mist has penetrated here as well.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

Did anyone notice that Denver took Maurice Clarett with the last pick of the third round? They have four other rbs. Have they lost their mind? That's not really a question.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 04:55 am:   

Well they are competing against the Raiders, and Al has obviously lost it...maybe it's sympathy braincramps

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:55 am:   

Yeah, I thought that was really, really strange. Hopefully Clarett will give them fits. Or maybe Dayne will beat him up. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:56 am:   

Did anyone notice that Denver took Maurice Clarett with the last pick of the third round? They have four other rbs. Have they lost their mind? That's not really a question.

I turned on the tv later last night to catch the wrap-up of the draft, and this is the pick I hear. To a chorus of boos.

Maybe Denver's looking to trade some RBs for something they really need?

JK

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

And here's to hoping that the Pack will use their three picks in the next round to shore up the defense (that is, if anyone remains who are worth drafting).

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Davis HAS lost his mind. That's clear. His draft of two corners, one a talent but raw, who'll take at least a couple of years to develop, and the other a reach that I guarantee will not work out....It's ridiculous. There were far better corners available, far better player.

Wow, Forrest, I forgot about Dayne. What are they thinking? Maybe they're going to echo Deborah's WR OL with the Browns and do an all RB line...

IMO, there are some player, left. Antaj for one. MacPherson. Etc.. And history proves you can help yourself in the later rounds.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

...and Orton and Sproules and etc.

I just want to say one more time how good I think AZ and Denny Greene did. They had a great first day. Getting Darryl Blackstock, a giy with Tayloresque potential, a first rounder on some boards, is amazing. And Eric Green will be a solid corner.

I got to admit that Dallas second round pick puzzled me. Burnett's was injured much of last year and didn't strike me as all that before the injury.

minz
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:26 am:   

I'm hoping the Pack rallies here on Day 2. If Ted Thompson is truly a Ron Wolf protege, then second day is where he'll shine....

As for our draft picks, it sounds like S Nick Collins is dumber than a bag of hammers (Acad non-qual comin into college, scored a 10 and then 14 on Wonderlic--at least he got better, I guess.). Luckily, having played at Bassoon Cookoff Univ should have prepared him well for the rigors of the NFL. (Okay, I'm willing to give the kid a shot, but he WOULD HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN THE FOURTH ROUND.)

Looking at the Vikes offseason v the Packers is beyond depressing. Though I do think that picking up OLB Thompson from AZ for league min was a GREAT move. I think Thompson will thrive playing for Bates. Last time he had a coach who knew how to use him (2002), he was racking up 139 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks. He got in Denny Green's doghouse and couldn't get out. And he is only 27. But still, have huge wholes on d, and I'm still waiting for us to seriously address them.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:09 am:   

Dallas and Minnesota continue to have good drafts, picking marion barber and Ciatrick Fason respectively. And AZ getting the huge guard Brand in the fourth....they're having amaizing luck. Cleveland finally drafted a corner. Please have a plan.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

Minz, can you seriously address needs in the later rounds? I think you have to go for value.

Tennessee drafted pretty good, too.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

the huge guard Brown from VA, I meant to say.

Darren Spoules to San DIego -- great pick.

Minz
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Sure, sure, value, but how about value at a position of need...there are so many to choose from. And they did: DE Poppinga (high motor, pretty happy with that pick) and S Underwood (we'll see if he's ever anything more than a backup). I like the Coston pick. The guy will need a year to develop, but he'll get great coaching from Beightol.

What the heck is going on with Anttaj? I guess they don't want to risk it since the kid was stupid enough to smoke mary jane before the combine knowing he'd get tested. But he's the real deal physically, and you don't need a rocket scientist in the middle.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:00 am:   

Minz, I question Poppinga -- a high motor doesn't get it done unless you have the talent to go with it and I wonder about his talent. He may work out, but not this year, I bet...

Beats me about Hawthorne.

NO got MacPherson. It may be the steal of the draft.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

Antaj goes to Oakland....6th round.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:46 pm:   

And AD to indy in the seventh. Actually, he's a pretty good fit there.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   

So who's gonna be a bust in the top ten? You gotta figure one of the RBs. We won't be able to render a judgement on Smith for a couple of years. Unless he gets his head straight, Braylon's a lock to be a bust. One of the corner's, maybe.....

Forrest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 05:35 am:   

I dunno, but it just dawned on me that Timmy Chang and Taylor Stubblefield didn't get drafted! Wonder if someone will pick up these (potentially good, though not really great, methinks) players as free agents.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Overall, I'm pleased with the Cowboys' draft. The face of the defense will change dramatically, and for the better. Sounds like Parcells wants to move back and forth between the 3-4 and 4-3 on the fly. Should keep teams on their heels.

Lookout, Eagles! Step aside, Giants!

Sorry in advance, Redskins.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

You mean you think Jason Campbell is going to be the second coming of Heath Shuler???

I agree with Forrest...the Cinderella story of '05-'06, undrafted free agent TIMMY CHANG!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:07 am:   

Hey, I'm sure both Stubblefield and Chang will sign with somebody.

It would be an upset if all the top three backs made it. I guess i look for Benson to have a big year, because of where he's at, so I guess short term it won't ne him.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:18 am:   

Chicago, Dallas, and SF all seems like they had excellent drafts.

Who is the next Tom Brady late-round steal? Stefan LeFors in the fourth? Dan Orlovsky in the fifth?

You've got to like SF getting Alex Smith, Frank Gore and Rasheed Marshall. What was up with Denver spending a pick on Mo Clarett and relinquishing another for squat? You also have to like St. Louis drafting guys named "Incognito" and "Hedgecock."

Anyone find it interesting that Belichick the Genius spent a late-rounds pick on USC's backup QB, who never even got to play?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

Az nd Baltinore did well. SF's draft depends on if they can keep ASmith alive. Incognito has the potential to be a great player -- probably the Rams best pick.

Kiper said the USC backup would be drafted.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

In other words, he may not be "Incognito" for very long. :-)

Sorry. Somebody had to.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:57 am:   

Yup.

Forrest, I find it equally amazing that Junior Rosegreen, the Auburn safety who started 41 games....41....didn't get drafted. But I think he and Junior will make a team.

Minz
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:19 am:   

AZ, Dallas, Baltimore, MN and SF are my top five draft teams. (MN undoubtedly overall has had the best offseason. Here's hopign Tice has them on schedule for typical late season collapse, b/c otherwise, lookout Eagles... Packers are going to need a little luck to be in contention in NFC North this year. Make that a LOT of luck.)

I think Benson will be the RB bust, though oddly enough he may have the most rookie yards of the first rounders--I'd bet on Carnell in TB, but Cedric will get a lot of carries.

Overall, I'm okay with the Packers draft. In truth, now that I've read more on Rodgers (hadn't paid too close of attention, b/c I never thought he'd fall that far), I'm pretty frickin happy we got him at 24. Nick Collins was a stupid pick (as a second rounder. Good to very good fourth round pick, real reach in 2). I love how Thompson managed to get 11 picks out of 7 goin' in. I really, really, really wish they would've drafted Anttaj in the fifth round, and could've gotten Coston in 6th (or missed out on Coston.) Anttaj is a boom or bust pick, but in fifth round, with his size and speed, well worth it. Cletidus Hunt could slide outside to power end, Anttaj in the middle, and our front four would look a lot more athletic. Oh well. Still, not a bad draft. I'd give it a B. Michael Hawkins is probably the only really interesting day two pick. Tremendous athlete. We'll see if the coaches can get him ready. Definite boom or bust, but what the heck. Good size. Great speed.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

Yep, I pretty much agree with your grades. I was reading the paper this morning and they gave cleveland an A. They're either stupid or else...I don't know.

I agree on Benson...though Brown may not immediately prove out, cause of O-line problems. Gonna be interesting.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:28 am:   

I'm pleased with the Packer's pick of Poppinga (say that five times fast). He's very good, and I think he's got the stuff for the next level, so long as he's coached right. BYU's fairly reliable (though not always) defense was overshadowed by their pathetic offensive production, and Poppinga was a big reason for that defensive reliability.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:41 am:   

Okay, guys. I no like-a Poppinga, but y'all have to like him. :-)

I think worst draft has to go to Seattle.. They took a center with their no 1, which they didh't need, took a 4th rounder in the second, and wasted their third round pick on a back-up QB, when they needed defense defense defense...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

I'm curious as to your take on Detroit taking Mike Williams in the first. An expression of doubt that Charles Rogers will ever regain his form, perhaps? Or simply a desire for supercharged "Three Amigos"-style pass-happy offense.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

A little bit of both, probably. Now we'll see about Joey

Minz
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:15 am:   

I'd lean toward the former on Detroit's pick. That also may be why the Packers went for a couple of receivers as well. Granted, both are return men and we've been looking to upgrade that for a while. But apparently the word is still out on whether Ferguson will fully recovery from that vicious clothesline he took near the end of last season. Plus, Javon Walker's got two years left on a bargain basement contract, recently hired Drew Rosenhaus, and rumors of a holdout are beginning to swirl. Fookin' agents. (Apparently football is like real-life :-)) Well, at least by holding the line on Mckenzie last year, we've established our stance on such things. That being said, if we can get him some guaranteed money now, but for a cheaper rate because he's still two years from free agency, I think that's great.

Anyway, it looks like the Packers receiver corps may not be as solid as originally thought.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   

I think the best the pack can hope for is a wild card this year, that is, unless Tice does his thing.

San Diego getting Vincent Jackson is surely one of the big moves of the draft. Add him to a back that caught a hundred passes last year, and Brees has to be smiling.

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

If Joey can't get the ball to those guys, he won't get them to anyone.

I heard that Shawn Merriman is pissed the Cowboys didn't take him. He said Parcells & Jones said they'd definitely take him if he was still on the board. He was mad enought to make a public statement about it.

Oh well, I'm happy with Ware.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   

Given that statement, I'm really happy with Ware. What's Merriman bitching about? He's going to a contender one pick later.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

Maybe Merriman wanted to be "the new LT..."

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

Sounds like Dallas made the right pick. (I was in the Ware camp from the get-go, and was very sad to see him climb the charts in the final few weeks. Two weeks ago, it actually looked like the Packers might've had a shot at him.)

Y'know, the Pack did pick up guys with speed. I just hope they can translate it to field. We need one of the Safeties to be able to play this year. The rest should help special teams, and maybe help down the line. I'm beginning to get back that delusional Green-and-Gold haze, where everything is about potential. (NO MENTIONING THE VIQUEENS!)
Safety Nick Collins: 4.37
Safety Marviel Underwood: 4.47
CB Michael Hawkins: 4.38
WR Terrence Murphy: 4.41
WR Craig Bragg: 4.49

DE/LB Poppinga: 4.60
C/G Coston: 5.06 (i.e. has the speed to pull/trap)

I cannot believe it's three months to camp. Minicamps may help tide me over for a day or two, but man, the long lean months of friggin baseball are upon us. SIGH...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

C'mon, Minz. Speed means nothing unless it's coupled with ball skills. And no amount of Poppingas is gonna save the Packers. Let me disperse that haze. The Pack is going to start sucking bad this year and next year they;re going down. Think the John Brockington era... :-)

Forrest, Taylor Stubblefield signed with Carolina...

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

Lalalalalalala, I'm not listening. :-)

Nick Collins is going to be an All-pro Safety. Poppinga is going to set the rookie record for sacks. :-)
And Brett Favre is going to win his fourth MVP. :-):-)

Ahh, that feels better.

Jim Bates was asked point-blank why they hadn't drafted Hawthorne, and he said he really likes the current stable of DL, especially at DT. He said he's never had this kind of depth on a DL. HE cited both Washington and Peterson as a couple of guys who've busted their asses in the offseason, rehabbing their injuries and dropping their weight (from 340 to 320, and 330 to 315, respectively). He thinks Cullin Jenkins is the best interior pass-rusher he's ever had. And keep in mind that Jason Taylor had 2 1/2 sacks in fifteen games the season before Jim Bates showed up and made him into an All-Pro. Now, I don't know Bates well enough to know if he's the kind of coach who likes to blow smoke up reporters asses or not, but I'm heartened by what he's sayin. Yes, we've got HUGE question marks at Safety. I like our corners. I think our LBs are good (I think Thompson from AZ is going to be a big step up from Hannibal Navies, particularly under Bates). Our DL needs another passrusher, but heck, KGB racked up 13 1/2 sacks last year on a very sucky defense. I don't think we'll be a great D, but I'm actually thinking Bates will shape it into a good one. (Now where did I put those rose-tinted glasses--oh, silly me. I'm still wearing them. Tralalala.)

And our offense is still going to be very good (as long as Walker doesn't do anything stupid and hold out). Much better than those 'boys.

Okay, MN had a great offseason. We obviously have to hope the Tice touch as a coach holds true and there'll be a collapse in the second half of the season, though without Moss around to help implode, it's a much fainter hope. Still, we stay healthy, I like our chances as much as any team in the NFC except for Philly and MN. I'll take it.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

Well, one way or the other, unless he gets to the Super Bowl, this is Tice's last year--and when they get a real coach in there, Minne is going to hell to play. They might do it this year, even. The Boys did it with Barry Switzer, after all....

And watch out for the Cardinals, TOTF... :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   

Switzer...**shudder**

Imagine how this UT fan felt when that name was announced as the new head coach of his favorite pro team.

He brought nothing to the table. My grandma could have taken the Cowboys to the Superbowl with the talent they had then.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   

Aikman called winning the SB with swizter the greatest accomplishment in the history of team sports.... :-)

barth
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 05:07 pm:   

God I love this thread... :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   

<<I think worst draft has to go to Seattle.. They took a center with their no 1, which they didh't need, <<

I kind of like their first pick. I mean, what were they going to get defense-wise at such a late #1 pick? People are saying this kid is one of the best center prospects to come out in a looooong time. The Hawks current center Robbie Tolbeck is good, but he's also 35...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   

They didn't address their needs, they reached for a guy they could have gotten in the 4th round in the second, and with their third pick they drafted a QB with a weak arm. Mike Patterson, considered the by many the best DT in the draft, was available, as was Odell Thurman, LB and Dan Cody, DE, both of whom most people thought had first round talent.

Don't seem that good to me -- they still suck on defense. But hey, it's only an opinion.

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

Amen, Brother Barth. Amen.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

You love it, too? You realize the only reason barth loves it, is because the pack are starting to suck and the Vike are starting to roll...don't you? He enjoys watching you scramble for hope.... :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

And I love it because it gives me a place to search for that hope, and not just among the fellow Packer faithful.

And when the Tice factor kicks in, and the Packers steal yet another NFC North title (the only team to ever win this division title, I'll point out), the victory will be that much sweeter, as will the lamentation of their women...

Besides, a place to talk football in the long lonely months between seasons, with fellow sf geeks no less. PRICELESS!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

:-)

Well, I think the Sherman factor has already kicked in....

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

So, Lucius, elaborate: What exactly is it you don't like about Poppinga? Did you watch him play this last year?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:02 am:   

Not that his playing this last year will determine *anything* about his NFL career. I'm just curious.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

Slightly off topic...

Federal district judge awards Mike Webster estate $1.1 million in disability benefits previously denied by the league for brain injuries Webster received during a 245-game career.

Might this turn out to be a huge potential liability for the league? The Washington City Paper just ran an interview with former Skins safety Mike Bass, crippled from his playing injuries and unable to obtain health insurance. Any estimate how many former players from the 60s-80s might be in line to hit up the league for disability payments they are owed?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

I saw three with Poppinga -- The USC game, New Mexico, and Utah. Oh, yeah. And part of the Boise State game.

Let's toss out of the USC and Utah games, call them mismatches. If I recall correctly he had a sack against NM, but most of the game was handled one-on-one by the NM defender, who did not seem particularly quick of foot. He struck me as a pedestrian player, who--if coached up--might make a dependable but unspectacular pro and, on the other hand, could be a bust. Nothing to get excited about, and, in that, similar to other Packer linemen of recent vintage...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:15 am:   

The Texans just cut CB Aaron Glenn and word is the Boys are about to sign him to play the slot. He's not the greatest player ever, and they still need another safety, but all of a sudden the Cowboy secondary is starting to look pretty good.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:18 am:   

Yeah, I saw that. Good move. He won't have to learn Parcell's system.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

Sigh....

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/apr05/321697.asp

and even better (now with more Lucius fuel! :-))

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/apr05/321631.asp

Hoping both mean nothing.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

Saw that about Green on ESPN this morning. It'll be all gone by season's start, unfortunately. Still, such abuses do seem endemic to Nebraka skill position players of the Osborne era, which just goes to show what a slimeball Osborne was.

minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

Sigh. As soon as Javon hired Rosenhaus, you knew it was coming. But then again, in this case the kid is way underpaid, and if we can use this as a way to get him re-signed at a cheaper longterm rate because it's early, works for me. (Unlike Rosenhaus' other two primadonnas this year, including T.O.)

As for Green, ugh! Osbourne obviously was a piece of work. Just thinkin' about that scumbag Lawrence Philips, and how Ozzie and the AD ran his victim out of town! And the piece o' shit is one of the Senators from NE, right?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

Great. Nothing like seeing your team disintegrate.

Having lived in Nebraska in the early '80s, I can vouch for the fact that the football players' problems are only a reflection of some generally accepted attitudes around there. And people wonder why I hate Nebraska . . .

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:44 am:   

What people? Cornholers aren't people, so what people wonder? We all understand :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

<nothing>>>

yeah, and you don't even have to be a cheesehead to enjoy it... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

Hmmm, very interesting.

A "win at any cost" guy who hid behind a veil of Norman Rockwell Americana, supported the activities of a bunch of scofflaws and thugs, and demonized their accusers and ran them out of town on a rail?

What the hell makes Tom Osborne think he's qualified to serve as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives?

Oh, yeah, right...all of it. :-)

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

That's *why* Nebraskans voted for him, Dave.

Notice the absence of a smiley face in this post.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

On the potentially positive side:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&ncid=531&e=2&u=/ap/20050427/ ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_bcs_changes

still, it's not a playoff . . .

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 06:37 pm:   

We could submit the NS poll... :-)

barth
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   

Hey let's not lose that compelling Packers-in-decline train of thought, now.

In the words of Condi Rice, "Stay on message, people..."

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   

PACK IN DECLINE--GREEN BAY IN FLAMES

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:41 pm:   

Oh, please make it stop:

Credit Union to Sponsor Poinsettia Bowl

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-poinsettiabowl&prov=ap&type=lgns

(The college thread seems to have vanished.)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   

So that would be the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl? How mellifluous! That could be a good game -- Say, Navy vs. Utah State. They could play for a trophy....like a beachball or jar of olives. Instant tradition. Jeez...We're gonna have losing teams in bowls before you know. The Ignominy Bowl...

A lot of threads vanished. I'll start a new one.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:51 pm:   

(Back to the pack)

PACKNER NATION LOSS OF TOWN-TEAM
Farve Charged with Arsob blames visions, drugs

"ST. VINCE TOLD ME TO BURN IT ALL DOWN"

Barth
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:12 am:   

Here's an interesting article on the Vikes' draft, with comments on each pick by Scott Studwell, MN's Personnel Director.

Well. Interesting to me anyway... :-)

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8422522

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

It' s sorta simplistic, Barth. Like shit we all know. But I can see why you like it, sitting there reading and crooning Draft, Draft, like a character in a Beckett play.... :-)

Barth
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:36 am:   

Yeah, I'm still a learner when it comes to understanding what happens on draft day, assessing collegiate talent, etc.

But it's a long stretch till training camp. I gotta gnaw on every little bone I can find...

Josh Rountree
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:52 am:   

"But it's a long stretch till training camp. I gotta gnaw on every little bone I can find..."

Amen to that. I check the Cowboys website every day hoping for some little tidbit of info.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:59 am:   

Double Amen....'cept I check the websites of the Bucs, the Cards, the Boys, and the Browns...:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:12 am:   

Hey, one last note on college.

Now, here's an idea that I think has legs. Nightshade Books can sponsor the Nightshade Bowl, and invite the two lowest-rated Div. I-A teams of the season, with the winner getting for its library a selection of Nightshade titles and a trophy inscribed with the immortal words that two squads would duel to the death over: "Definitely NOT The Worst Team in America!" The beauty part is the game can be held in a rented high school stadium, and there would be no TV contracts, no parade, no sponsorships, no events to worry about. Just two teams trying desperately to avoid being the worst. Bet it would be a better game than the Gator Bowl, anyway...

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:12 am:   

Geez, I'm pathetic. I look at high school recruits and check in on who's interested in which college teams, who's given verbals, etc. I have no life.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:22 am:   

Well, the GB wasn't all that bad last year, but it's pitched some stinkers for sure. Yeah, I'm up for an NS bowl. Maybe we could all meet at a high school and just pretend...

I'm better'n you Forrest. I only watch Fla HS recruits. :-)

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Heh, I'm so much better...I only read the Pittsburgh Post Gazette sports section online, Yahoo Sports and collegefootballnews.com...oh, wait.

And, that NS Bowl has got potential...no question about it. I'm thinking Wilsonville High School (just downt he road from palatial Wheatland Towers) has a pretty nice stadium, although the WHS team did go pretty far in the state tourney so we might have to slip them a little something not to show up and make fun of the featured teams...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:07 am:   

For all you true Packer fans, let us begin the excommunication proceedings:
http://www.southflorida.com/news/sfl-426packertickets,0,6159317.story?coll=sfe-g uide-headlines2

And I don't know what y'all are smoking. The Packers still have a terrific offense, led by the _only_ three-straight-NFL-MVP in league history. And we've got a great new defensive coordinator. Life's good.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Well, hell, no need to bribe them, they could participate. WHS vs a 1-A bottomfeeder. Could be competitive. But homefield advantage...I don't know. They might prefer a road trip, gain some new experiences, meet strange cheerleaders, like that...

Of course I read collegefootballnews.com, but still that's somewhat restrained.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

Minz, that's so pathetically sad,

As for that 3 time MVP, get yourself another hoss, hoss, cause that there one's plumb wore out...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

Life's...so...good
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/apr05/321922.asp

(You're welcome, Barth. I know I just made your day.)

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:41 am:   

Ah, Minz, we'll all look back on this next February and laugh . . . after the Badgers win the national championship and the Packers win the superbowl . . . Oh, yeah, and before the Badger hoopsters win the NCAA tournament. Things are gonna be just fine!

:-(

barth
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   

aw, and i didn't get you anything, minzie! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

"...those Green Bay teams that were the envy of the NFL back in the 90s..."

What's he been smoking?

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   

You Cheeseheads think you've had a bad day...try this one on for size...

Troutman to try out for Redskins:
Pitt forward takes shot at tight end

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05118/495692.stm

Oh, look, here come the Four Horsemen...Grrr.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   

Well, Troutman was gone to the nba anyway, right? If so, not so bad a day. The Cheeseheads, however, have a sexual assault, a domestic abuse, and...I forget.

But I'll give you a sympathy grrr... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   

Troutman graduated...the point is that it's the *Redskins* not that it's the NFL. I think he'd make a great tight end.

Oh, and I was being funny, but apparently not very.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:47 pm:   

Oh...I get it. I'm just tired. Been working since 5,

You're funny. You just got a brain-dead audience.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 05:37 am:   

Turns out that the woman who gave up her Packer tickets stole money to save her house from being taken by the bank, has MS and is recovering from a stroke. They did an interview with her this morning on CP and tried to make it humorous -- it wasn't.

Minz
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

Ahman Green has now filed for divorce. His second in five years. (different women--the first one involved a domestic abuse situation as well.) Obviously he's as good at fumbling relationships as he is at football...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 06:40 am:   

The Packers are standing behind him.....Ruff, ruff...

Mike Sherman says it's nothing....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

TO is a no-show at Eagles mini-camp.

Tee hee.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

Yippee! Good for him. I think he' s right, he should get paid more. If I were him, I'd ask for a gazillion bucks.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:25 am:   

Did anyone see that USA Today printed the 2004 salaries of every NFL player yesterday. It was kind of eye-opening to see who pulled down the biggest checks on each team (rarely who you would expect).

Deborah, my apologies if this has already been discussed here, but did you see that Chevy Troutman was at Redskins rookie camp this week, trying out as a TE?

Deborah
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

Yeah, I posted the link (complete with my gloom and doom appraisal of it) above. Redskins. ::shudder:: Why couldn't he be trying out with the Cards?

He'd be great if he actually wants to play f-ball...6'6", 240, mentally tough, great hands, quick, incredible work ethic...

Forrest
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   

Hmm. Maybe the Pack can trade Walker out for Owens . . . no, nevermind . . .

Josh Rountree
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   

Just imagine the possibilities for conflict between TO & Farvre.

Oh, in a perfect world...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   

Rejoice, Lucius, rejoice!!!!!

Doug Flutie is back in football with Billy Brains and the Pats!!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

Yeah, I saw that. Good. Flutie makes a good backup. Always did.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   

Great!

Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. complained of chest pains after he was injured in a motorcycle accident, but the team said his injuries aren't life-threatening.
Winslow was riding in a community college parking lot Sunday in Westlake, Ohio, when he hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from the motorcycle, police Lt. Ray Arcuri said.
Winslow was taken by ambulance to Fairview Hospital and was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday where the team's medical staff would treat him, Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said.
"He went over the handlebars and was real evasive about what the injuries were," Arcuri said.
The 21-year-old Winslow had minor visible injuries. He was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't strapped on and flew off his head, Arcuri said.
He and four other men were riding motorcycles in the parking lot, not far from Winslow's home in suburban Cleveland.
The first-round draft pick missed nearly all of his rookie year with the Browns after breaking his right leg against Dallas in Week 2 while attempting to recover an onside kick in the final seconds.

What this artcile doesn't say is that team officials are very concerned about his right knee, which may keep him out for an extended period.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

Also, Winslow's contract seems to have specific language forbidding the riding of a motorcycle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2051653&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Hmmm. Winslow may have more to worry about than just his knee.

JK

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:55 am:   

Ah, to be 21 again... Of course, I think I might've been a little less reckless if i'da known it would cost me millions, but then again...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

They're not gonna dock him unless he can't play, because they don't want to alienate the jerk. That's right--I called a Cane a jerk. Mark it down, I won't do it again.

In other Browns news, they've put Charlie Frye, whose home town would fit in a Walmart, together as Hollywood Braylon Edwards' roommate. I'd give a lot to listen to them communicate.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

I completely agree (about not docking him), unless his injuries are serious enough to cost him the season.

And speaking of calling someone a jerk:
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_20876863.shtml
Say what you want about Favre, I like the fact he's calling Walker out. That's leadership, trying to get the idea back to it being about the team. I think the Packers would've been very smart to renegotiate Walker's contract in a quiet fashion. Give him lots more than he's making now, but in return for less-than-market pay because they're re-doing it two years early. But by making it a public holdout, Walker's forcing the Packers to hold the line. If the renegotiation could've been done quietly, both sides could've come out happy. Now, it'll be interesting to see what happens. (But it's a bad interesting...) At least it's in the hands of the GM, and not the Head Coach/GM. It'll make life a LOT easier when Javon finally comes back.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:26 am:   

I call that being a jerk, too. You don't get involved in another player's negotiatons--that's just a flat rule. You don't say shit like, I hope the Packers don't give in to him. That's fucking with someone else's money. It's not leadership, it's Farve being an asshole. And I assume that Walker will tell him about it.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:52 am:   

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

And another thing, saying that is as rephrehensible as TO talking about McNab. You don't say shit like, he's getting bad advice. Jesus. That's like you trying to negotiate a book and telling an author he needs a new agent, because his current one's had to deal with. It implies that Javon is just a dumbass and can't tell good advice from bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stiffens Javon's resolve. And it probably blighted the relationship permanently....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Hard to deal with, I meant to say,

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Huh huh. You said "stiffen" . . . and "hard".

Seriously, though, it probably will hurt the relationship, which is a bummer and may be detrimental to the tema in the long run. Then again, I'd not be too surprised if Favre was just relaying what he'd been hearing in the locker room. If a bunch of people on the team are already pissed at Walker for doing this (and why wouldn't they be?), is Favre's statement going to hurt the relationship any further? I doubt it. Walker and his agent have dug this hole, Favre may have just dropped the manhole over the top.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:00 am:   

I don't know what Walker's getting paid, but he's got every right to negotiate -- I think the small town ambiance of GB breeds an unwarranted attitude that GB is special and once you're part of the team, well, it's up to you to make sacrifices. So saying that Walker and his agent have dug a hole...that's not right. It's pnly a hole if the Pack and folks like Farve decide to make it one. It's business and they're playing hardball. It's facile to say that athletes are greedy, but their greed pales beside the greed of ownership. In that context,
Walker is just playing his cards. He hasn't made any troubling public statements, he's not being a pain in the ass like TO. He's simply trying to get more money. How GB reacts, and so far they've reacted badly, is what the situation will turn on. Now maybe Walker is getting bad advice, but you don't want to announce that in public if you're the team, you want to work with him. Farve, as usual, proved himself to be a spectacular asshole. At the least, he's made a bad situation worse, and he may have done a lot worse than that.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:23 am:   

I dunno, with three clients holding out while under contract, including the ridiculous holdout of Terrell Owens, I think Drew Rosenhaus IS providing bad advice. I wish the NFL would collude and simply refuse to negotiate with this jackass.

I'm all for players getting paid for results, but the TO situation is beyond stupid. And Walker is not going to win his situation by making it public. It forces the Packers to entrench. They really have no other choice. Rosenhaus may think this'll get him and his clients the bling, but all he's really doing is hurting the teams.

And I'll point out that while Mike Mckenzie may have gotten out of GB, he landed in New Orleans, who has NOT renegotiated his contract. And it's a shame he's not in GB, because Bates, the new DC, plays lots and lots of press bump-and-run, which is Mckenzie's game. NO zone-dominated coverage rendered Mckenzie a near non-factor. (OK, he had five picks, but seven total passes defensed overall in 13 games.)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

And Walker has every right to negotiate...in TWO YEARS. He's still under contract, which he signed in good faith. Nobody held a gun to his head and said sign this.

If he'd gone about it quietly, he could have gotten his. By doing it publicly, of course the Packers are going to entrench. They have no choice. None. The Packers actually have a history of paying players before they get to free agency. If Rosenhaus had a friggin clue and actually looked at the history of the franchise and how they handle things, he would've started quiet negotiations, without any BS holdout. If injury at minicamp were a real concern, he could've begged off with a tender ankle or whatever, and nobody would've said boo. Maybe idle rumor, but things could've progressed. Now the Packers have no choice. The kid has two years left and they cannot cave to the pressure. And the fans will back them up.

Oh, and of course, there are no greedy owners in GB (well, greedy for a great team, but the only people making money in GB are the players and the coaches--all profits are re-invested in the franchise and facilities).

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:33 am:   

And let's all thank Brett :-) ...for keeping the football discussions alive for at least another day.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   

Whatever, he's still an asshole! :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:15 am:   

So from a recent "Washington Whispers" column in US News & World Report: Lynn Swann considering a run for Governor of Pennsylvania. GOP would love to have an African American Conservative as guv of this all-important swing state...

Granted, Swannie helped make Bradshaw look like a real quarterback, but he's barely a tolerable sideline reporter. Governor? Any former residents of Pennsylvania got an opinion on this one?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:05 am:   

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

Why not run the Philly Phanatic?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:20 am:   

Maybe he can run with John Kruk as his Lieutenant Gov.

This whole "celebrity politician" thing has gotten way out of hand. At least the Italians went all out and put a porn star in parliament. In the US (with the exception of Clint) it's always B-listers past their sell-by date. I'm waiting for Richard Dean Anderson or Shelley Long to run for something.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:31 am:   

Clint?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:45 am:   

Clint Eastwood was still a pretty big name when he became mayor of Carmel, CA.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:52 am:   

How about Arnold? That seems a whole lot bigger deal.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Yeah, I thought about that. But Arnold's last big hits were in the mid-90s. AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS was quite a bomb.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:35 am:   

Well, T-3 did better than Million Dollar Baby...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   

ESPN reports that two sources within the Browns organization say that Kellen Winslow has a torn ACL and will miss the season...

I don't believe this shit...

b
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 05:38 am:   

Viking Darren Sharper weighs in on the Fava Bean:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/05/05/favre.flak/in dex.html

Sharper all but calls Brett a scab.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 05:48 am:   

Yeah, I heard that.

Brett is into scabs -- he thinks they taste a lot like russet potato chip...

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

>> Brett is into scabs.

That explains it. Explains how Brett, back in Dec 1995, after getting absolutely leveled by several Pittsburgh Steelers while trying to run in for the winning score, calls the timeout from flat on his back. How he rolled onto his hands and knees and spit up blood. How he ran to the sideline and even as Holmgren talked to him about the next play, he bent over and coughed up some more blood. Then went back into the game and tossed the winning score. Because he's into scabs... :-)

Gee, an embittered ex-Packer who was tossed aside for salary cap reasons two months ago tries to forment unrest in the locker room of his former team. Gosh. I'm shocked. He must know what he's talking about.

Oh, and Sharper can kiss my fucking ass--if he's going to throw Brett's contract history back in his face, he should know what the hell he's talking about. When Brett was a restricted free agent back in '97, he signed a five-year deal with the Packers, a deal that didn't put him in the top five for quarterbacks pay--if he were a money-grubbing jackass, like T.O., he would've signed a one-year deal and become an unrestricted FA. And then in '99, with two years still left on his contract, the Packers came to him in late June and quietly re-negotiated the deal with Brett, after they had figured out their money situation with free agency and the draft. It was a seven-year deal (and it did make him the highest paid QB, for about a month. Then Young and someone else passed him.) And then, when the Packers needed cap room, Favre volunteered to re-negotiate his deal in '01--in part because he knew the team need more money to RE-SIGN SHARPER (fuckin' ungrateful dick who got a SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR SIGNING BONUS, mostly thanks to Favre's selfless team-first philosophy). While the numbers for the 10-year deal actually made it look like he was getting a better contract ($100 mil for 10 years), in truth, it's backloaded, and he won't make more money on the deal unless he plays until 2008. So at best Sharper doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, at worst he's a two-faced ungrateful prick.

Favre has never complained about his contract, and the Packers have taken care of him--that's where Brett is coming from. I'm not saying the front office hasn't treated some players unfairly (I wish we could've held on to Sharper, but I don't think he's not worth the money the Vikings threw his way--his Pro Bowl seasons only came when he had Leroy Butler back there with him), but from Brett's POV, the Packers have repeatedly taken care of their own when a young player is producing. We did it with Brett. We did it with Mike friggin Mckenzie--not that the ungrateful prick didn't throw it back in our faces two years later. We did it with all five of last year's starting OL (including the two OG who left--we just didn't have enough cap room to sign them up early again, like we did during their first contracts). In six of the seven instances, the contracts were done while the player had more than one year left in his contract. Done quietly, and done with class. So I repeat, Sharper can kiss my fuckin' ass. And so can Drew Rosenhaus.

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 07:31 am:   

No double-negative intended re Sharper's deal with Vikings, i.e. I do NOT think he's worth the money they're paying him (though I think he'll get some picks against the Packers). I didn't mean I don't think he's not worth it. (ugh)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

Remember when you were a little kid and the heated sports arguments were about who was the fastest, meanest, toughest, etc?

Nowadays, the really heated and passionate sports discussions are about free agency, signing bonuses, guaranteed money, cap room, contract renegotiations, holdouts, etc.

We close up our briefcases, hop on the train home and leave the drudgery, backstabbing, and aggravation of the corporate grind behind so that we can flip on the boob tube and...slog through labor unrest, money squabbles, etc. on ESPN. Long live sport!

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

If you've read all of Brett's comments about Javon this week, that's part of his point too. He's sick of it as well.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

"That explains it. Explains how Brett, back in Dec 1995, after getting absolutely leveled by several Pittsburgh Steelers while trying to run in for the winning score, calls the timeout from flat on his back. How he rolled onto his hands and knees and spit up blood. How he ran to the sideline and even as Holmgren talked to him about the next play, he bent over and coughed up some more blood. Then went back into the game and tossed the winning score. Because he's into scabs.."

No, he was just high.

That's irrelevant to his feelings about labor, the fact that he shrugged off an owie.

Sharper isn't an embitttered Packer, he's a happy Viking. He has a chance to get to the Super Bowl and he's getting paid well.

Just because Farve's happy with his contract and loves GB, doesn't mean Walker has to feel that way just because his QB likes prancing around like a little god in hicksville...

Nor does it mean that it's proper for Farve to comment on his situation like a shill for management -- it's not.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

To go off topic a bit, I think this is why, when hockey fans were expected to rise up and demand concessions from the ogre NHL owners to save their favorite sport from extinction, the NHLPA was greeted with a massive yawn. I think fans in all sports, to a greater or lesser degree, are getting mogul fatigue. The bubble is going to burst one day soon.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

And oh yeah, Dave...know what I miss? I miss bottle cokes with the names of the bottling plant on the bottom, and Norman Rockwell old guys with a bloom on their cheeks from a crisp October morn, putzing around the neighboorhood, and they're weren't child molesters, nah, just cute old guys, and I miss playing innocently in the park with my pals, tossing around a football, and when one guy in a pile-up tried to stick his finger up my ass, he was only kidding around, and I miss those bluejean nights with my girlfriend, wben repression gave way to joyless Catholic girl sexuality, and those swell times with mom and dad, especially dad beating me with whatever was handy, until I kicked the shit out of him at age 14, and oh those crispy autumn glory apples that had serpent's heads inside them instead of pits...

The world doesn't change, man. It just gets clearer...

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:27 am:   

>> No, he was just high.
:-) LMFAO I was trying to reach for a joke--he likes the taste of scabs, he likes the taste of blood (I'll try and leave the comedy to the pros).

Well, Javon Walker was paid $5.235 million over the first two years of his contract. In return, the Packers received a total of 64 catches for 1,035 yards and 10 touchdowns on that investment. Should they be seeking to get back some of that money, since Walker obviously didn't produce to the level he was being paid? Of course not. He signed a contract. He should honor that contract. Just like the Packers have.

And if he and his agent had a friggin clue, they could've seen that the Packers have a history of paying young players who're producing, and are willing to do so while there's still time on their contracts. But they won't do it because the player demands it. And they shouldn't--they can't. If they had quietly approached the Packers about renegotiating, a new deal could've been done. Now, there's no way. A team cannot give in to demands from a player with two years left on a contract. They'll have nowhere to stand in future negotiations. It isn't just a one-sided deal, where the players deserve everything. It cuts both ways.

I think Favre has the personal history to justify his speaking out about it. He's a team leader who's backed up his words through his play and through his actions off-the-field and how he's handled his own negotiations. And I think Sharper is a fucking hypocrite to criticize a guy who took a paycut so Sharper could get a seven million dollar check.

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:30 am:   

And since Javon is getting paid only 500,000 this year, and 615,000 next, I think it'd be worth it to sit his ass and let him rot for two frickin years. Enough's enough.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

I'm not arguing about Walker's contract, just that Farve should shut the fuck up...

I don't think Farve is speaking from any standpoint than self-interest.

Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

You're may be right, but your argument is somewhat true for you as well. After all, "Farve should shut the fuck up" is pretty much your standard self-serving belief, right? :-)

More than anything, it's something to kvetch about until the next minicamp. But even that doesn't matter much. Nothing real is going on until they strap on the pads at camp. Then we'll find out if any of the safeties have a clue. We'll find out if Micheal Hawkins is even half as good as he looks in shorts (the kid had a good minicamp, with a couple of nice picks, and supposedly has all the tools. He just needs the experience the and coaching that has been sorely lacking--two years of HS football, 5 games with OK, and one season in Arena league. I'm really pulling for the kid. He's had a rough personal life. It'd be a great story if he makes it. Heck, I just hope he makes the roster and sticks for the year. Even one year of fifth-round money could do the kid a lot of good.)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:58 am:   

Yeah, but you know if he makes it, he's gonna pull a Walker. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

On a lighter note, Washingtonpost.com has a good story from p. A1 concerning U. Miami's offseason workout programs. Shockey has been in Coral Gables and the NY media has been reporting on it the way Vogue reports on Oscar gowns.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

I think it's fairly light hearted to remember that the good old days weren't so good....

Gotta go watch some movies...

MarcL
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   

After you've watched some movies, I'll jump in again.

Billy Minz
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems...

Minz
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:15 am:   

AZ Cardinals have officially become the Team of Destiny. From Dan Pompeii at Sporting News:
I like the Cardinals a great deal as a potential surprise team. Maybe they won't surprise anyone because we expect them to be a surprise. So let's call them a team that could improve drastically.

Coach Denny Green is getting his program in order. He has Kurt Warner, who at one point was the best quarterback in football. The running game should be improved with Marcel Shipp returning and J.J. Arrington arriving in the draft. I like the way this team plays defense, and Chike Okeafor, Robert Griffith and Antrel Rolle are good additions. On top of all that, the Cardinals don't play in a strong division.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:30 am:   

Oh, sure, everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon now...well, some of us were there for the Cards during the lean years.

And he forgot to mention somebody...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Well, I got my cardinals hat, courtesy of CG, and I was slow to accept it, but Greene is the most important move they're made -- he's a proven quantity. With Fiztgerald and Bolden healthy, Elton Brown pass-blocking, the passing game gets a bounce too....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register