The Pope Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » The Pope « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   

In a startling act of Christian courage, the Catholic Church has chosen as it Cardinal John Ratzinger, of Gernarny, an arch-conservative who has an in-house rep as
"...a bruiser and a bully." Ratzinger, who will be known hereafter as Pope Ratzinger, was the figure most reponsible in the early 80s for throwing ArchBishop Romero of Salvador to the wolves. His feeling was that land reform and diverting money to the poor would be a bad move for the Vatican coffers. In effect, his lack of support for Romero basically gave the Salvadorian right-wing carte blanche and doomed the archbiship to assassination.

Way to go, RC! Someday he'll fit right in with the soul-less neocons in Hell.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Yes, a pretty poor choice. I was expecting someone from South America.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   

Maybe if Mengele was still alive.... :-)

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   

Well, this new chap is pretty old, so...

Of course he looks quite healthy! And Germans I think are usually quite fit.

The whole thing sort of annoys me, because it doesn't match my fantasy.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

It more than annoys me. I was in Salvador in the early 80s and the church, among others, has a lot to answer for...'

Wonder if Thomas R is gonna stick his nose in and snuffle a Hail Mary? Let;s hope this wards him off.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   

Does a mouse like cheese? Of course, if Thomas happens to stumble across this thread, he will say something.

Living in an almost totally Catholic area (Switzerland about 15 minutes drive from the Italian border), I am innundated with Catholicism - church bells waking me up every half hour through the night, fat priests waddling through the village etc.

I think in the latter part of this century though, they have done most of their mischief in the third world countries, i.e. South and Central American, Africa, and India.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:28 pm:   

Gotta catch em all!
Popemon

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

I think in the latter part of this century though, they have done most of their mischief in the third world countries, i.e. South and Central American, Africa, and India.

Yes, unfortunately this is where that rediculous institution has the most authority. places where a lot of their problems were created by white European Christians in the first place. The legacy continues....

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

I hope that Ratzinger does not undo the great benefits of JP2's overt approval of Pokemon. In this area, if no other, the prior pope made great strides, recognizing the importance of cultivating friendship between young children and monstrous tripartite beings.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   

I hardly can countenance assisting the spread of AIDs and overpopulation and etc as mischief, but yeah....Third World.

Nice, Marc....:-)

barth
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

ratzinger, ratzinger...didn't he play cliff claven on cheers?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   

Yeah, hey....Good call, barth! His bio will be entitled From Postman Putz to Pope...

All Hail Pope Ratzinger

Brian
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   

I certainly hope that ThomasR makes an appearance on this thread. Lucius, you and he are the Oscar and Felix of the Nightshades arena. Our very own Odd Couple. (You know you really love him!)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   

Oh no I don't! Listening to Thomas is like listening the droning of an air conditioner with a faulty connection that cause it to urp out a shudder now and then, as if in imitation of life. I don't want his circuitous namby pamby attempts at logic polluting the disgust i feel at the elevation of this German pig, of a soul so thoroughly debased, it's astounding he doesn't walk on all fours. Look at that face! It's the face of indulgence....Ugh!

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   

So it's not just me...he really does look creepy.
It's not all bad--he's not 60 and healthy.
A pope nicknamed 'The Enforcer'. Too much.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   

He's a dinosaur. He wants to keep Turkey out of the European union because it's Muslim.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 05:43 pm:   

Wasn't he a Nazi?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   

Naw, not really, just a little tour in Hitler Youth! :-)

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 05:52 pm:   

I just read that he bravely deserted the German army in 1945--perfect time to make a stand for the principles of the Allies--and spent several whole weeks in a POW camp.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   

Ooohhh! I bet he helped out the guys in Stalag 17, too.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   

I still want to know why the Vatican didn't hire Mark Burnett to handle the whole process of selecting the next Pope.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   

Lucius, I remember you mentioning somewhere, something about a story you were writing about a werewolf Pope. Is that right?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:30 pm:   

A missed bet for sure, Gordon.....

I'm thinking Celebrity Pope. Watch as Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr. and their friends join the Conclave.

I don't remember that. Stephen. Must have been a dream I was having...or one you were having. Maybe it was someone else.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   

Yeah, that's strange, it's a vague sort of memory. Don't know where it's from.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   

Shrooms? :-)

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   

:-)

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   

Sure you're not confusing it with the Vampire Jesus thread? Universal could do a whole Christian Classic Monsters series! Preacher from the Black Lagoon! Wolfman of the Cloth!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:50 pm:   

Frankenstein vs the Virgin Mummy....

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:55 pm:   

I just read the wikipedia entry on Ratzenberg, and in addition to playing a memorable character on Cheers, learned he was a member of Hitler Youth. "Unenthusiastic" is the description they use, and it was apparently more or less mandatory at the time. It's an interesting overview of his life and career, with plenty of ammunition for any and all camps. Now I'm done with being fair and balanced.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   

Maybe it was the Vampire Jesus thread. I forgot about that. Where was that thread?

Night of the Living Zealots..

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   

Abbott and Costello Meet Their Maker.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   

Christ vs the Flying Saucers

That shit about Pope Rat-zinger being "unenthusiastic," wasn't that the basic line of every German after the war? We did not know, we thought they were baking cookies, we did not want to fight.....

Eric Solomon
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   

Hmm . . . he looks a little familiar . . .

popeharlan

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   

Wow...Bea Arthur is looking great!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 04:07 am:   

She's getting more soulful with age, isn't she?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 04:30 am:   

The Pope That Launched 1000 Ships...
The New Face Of Catholicism

Man, that is one evil-looking cat!

Lawrence A
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 05:08 am:   

check the piece I wrote about the new Pope over on Kage Baker's "Ohhhhhhhh, dear" thread.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:03 am:   

Yeah....what can I say? Dead on.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:20 am:   

They just had a friend of Ratzinger's on Good Morning America who tried to polish him, but every word he said inidicted him and at the end the friend, a priest who's head of Ave Maria U., made this impassioned statement about Terry Schiavo....and how Ratzinger wouldn't allow it...

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:02 am:   

And he's got the right connections to put a stop to that nonsense over here in provincial US of A. Get together some of his old "we-just-went-along-until-the-time-is-right" Nazi brethren and they can fix what's wrong with America. (And Bush and Delay can convert...).

I will say this, I enjoyed Pope RATzinger in House 2, in his role as Handyman/Adventurer.

But have no fear, guys and dolls, it's all just a nostalgia trip: "Ah, remember the good ol' Dark Ages, when the Church reigned supreme and the ignorant masses wallowed in the mud at our feet..."

If we're lucky, this is just a lame-duck appointment. At 78, hopefully he'll blow a gasket early, and then Cthulhu can finally don the funny hat and the sham can finally end. All I want is the honest face of the church.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:08 am:   

On Kage Bakers thread, you said you'd be more kind than I. You lied. :-) But you're right. Cthulu is the Answer. WWCD.....etc.

Mel Gibson must be jumping for joy. A racist pope, a racist pope! Hoo-ray!

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

Not more kind, just more silly and less brutally honest... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

Oh, Okay!

scott benenati
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:45 am:   

Lawrence: You're post on Kage Baker's thread needed to be said. This shit has been going on for 2000 years. It boggles the mind that many otherwise compassionate and intelligent people still cling to the Church for hope and peace, while it is the cause of so much suffering. Do these people simply choose to ignore all of it? Can they set it aside as isolated incidents?

The issue is not about belief in God. It is about the worship on an institution. I am outraged to be bombarded with this every time I turn on the news, sensationalized even more than last years elections. Does the Catholic Church still wield that much power? Do people continue to flock out of fear of eternal damnation?

I just don't get it.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

yep.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

Perhaps not so much in America, though the power of the American church should not be underestimated; but in Latin America,in much of third world, in the Phillipines and Africa and elsewhere, the RC church weilds enormous power.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

Scientists keep making outrageous statements about how nanotechnology will be able to extend life expectancies into the hundreds of years.

You've got to ask yourself how that's going to affect the church's power, given that it's the fear of death that drives a lot of folks into their arms. The leaders of the RC have got to be a little concerned.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   

Yeah but some of those people think that science isn't real. It's just something that God and Satan do to fuck with us in their spare time.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   

For Catholics in the world's most educated and affluent countries, this is going to present a real challenge. The RC leadership can't very well turn thumbs-down on such scientific developments, given their pro-Schiavo stance on preserving life at any cost. And it's got to be a tectonic actuarial and political impact, believers leaving the church at 18 and returning at 150, instead of 65 or 70. What are they going to say? God wants you to die sooner because we need the money?

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   

Also, when life extension kicks in, death is just going to seem even scarier and more mysterious.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

My sincerest (and most incredibly unlikely) is that out of respect for JPII, and the fact that anyone who truly wanted to reform the church could never do it in the direct shadow of JPII, they appointed his righthand man, knowing that at 78, it'll be a limited term of service. After that, maybe reform could follow. (Okay, that's the complete head-in-the-sand, eternal optimist pov. But at least it helps me from wanting to vomit at the thought of this frickin NAZI runnin the church.)

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:45 am:   

It just hit me that the guy was in the Hitler Youth. Don't you think Cardinal Nyquist could have pulled Cardinal Yamamoto and Cardinal Jiminez aside and whispered, "Y'know, it might not be the very best move from an optics standpoint to elect a guy who was in the Hitler Youth. It might send the wrong 'message.' Think we might want to go another way here?" I mean you wouldn't elect a guy with Hitler Youth ties to run your Kiwanis Club, right? And he's the head of the Catholic Church? I mean, keep the guy as a powerful cardinal, just don't give him the CEO's job, for Pete(r)'s sake!

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

Out of respect for Kage, I'm pulling Jeff Ford's comment to this thread in order to respond (Jeff, I hope you'll pardon the transplantation). Jeff said:
>>>The one thing I find truly staggering about this recent Pope business is that anyone would want to claim any connection whatsoever with the decisions of the Vatican after Cardinal Law, a person who knowingly enabled, on a grand scale, the molestation and sexual abuse of children, was given a place of prominence in the recent ceremonies. This is an individual who, by all rights, should be serving multiple life sentences. How can anybody get past that fact, even to move onto any other issues pro or con about Popes or the Catholic church. Catholics (of which I once was one) seem incredibly resilient when it comes to ignoring issues like this.<<<

I never understood why nobody broke out the RICO laws to go after that S.O.B. Actually, I understand why (in Boston, no way a DA could ever get elected after prosecuting a Cardinal and the Church, even if the RICO laws were put in place for exactly this kind of scenario--to go after the SOBs hiding behind the men who actually committed the criminal acts); I'm just frustrated and angry beyond belief. Beyond all of the other shortcomings of the Church, which stem from various beliefs and doctrines that at least have some rationale (even if I think their rationale is irrational, not to mention often morally bankrupt and offensive, there is at least some sort of ground they attempt to stand on in order to make an argument, even if it seems the foundation is shaky or even silly.) But the whole situation with Law is unfrigginbelievable. To have him preside at JPII funeral is beyond offensive. Beyond all range of human decency. They literally went ahead and fucked the hundreds (yes, literally hundreds) of families who were victim of this monster's enabling of serial rapists that spanned DECADES. Fucked them one more time, I'd say out of sheer spite, but I fear it's actually more out of an attempt to smear feces all over them and let them know who's in charge.

There are not very many people who truly deserve to be put down for their crimes, but Law is undoubtedly one of them. He makes me wish I still Believed, since then I'd KNOW he'll burn in Hell for eternity. It'd give me some peace of mind. He's the reason why I've vowed to never set foot in a Catholic Church again, not even for events surrounding my immediate family. (It has made for a strained relationship. I had given up at harping at my friends and family who still call themselves Catholic, demanding they stand up and call for Law to burn for his crimes. But this latest offense, let's just say rather than emails and phone calls, which can be ignored and cut short, I'm licking my chops for this summer when I'll be seeing them in person and I will unload every once of my moral outrage one more time. Sondi's going to be pissed off, but I don't care. Now that I've become a parent, it just pushes my outrage beyond all reason. If it had been my child who had been victimized by one of his crew of recidivists, I would've killed him myself.)

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

Hmmm... "The Enforcer"... "a bruiser and a bully"... "ultra-conservative"... Maybe it should be Pope "Ratzenegger". Sorta Arnie + 20 years playing this guy.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 09:35 am:   

Yeah, al...there used to be a British site called jesuschristsuperstore which sold an interesting Pope action figure....

Your child's a girl, Minz. She's safe...unless you let her fall into the hands of nuns. :-)

I never understood about Law, why more people weren't howling for his blood. I would use "docile" rather than "reilient," but otheriwise I agree. But then there's a tradition of not-so-secret sexual perversion in the Church that dates back to the Dark Ages -- maybe they're into the old Christian tradition of forgiving priests. It's a Southern tradition too.

What can be done? I don't know. Stamping out Catholicism isn't an option, but my feeling is make noise, make noise. It can't hurt.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

A number of Mass priests were criminally convicted. I think one guy got shived in prison, if I'm not mistaken. But it would have been too much to ask of the Irish Catholics who run Mass. to sue the Catholic church as a racketeering enterprise. I could never see that happening. I mean, Ray Flynn is the Pope's PR guy...

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

Making noise and trying to make more people aware, to wake up, is something that we CAN do. Not just for Catholicism but for many other things as well. So many people will believe what they want to believe, and they remain docile and under control. Exactly what Lucius and Jeff are saying.

minz
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:45 am:   

Well, actually they were suing. And the church was paying them hush money. And the latest victims are suing as well. Once it broke big, the Church moved as many assets as humanly possible out of the diocese in order to shield themselves from further liability (some Act of Contrition, eh?).

What Jeff & I are talking about is criminal prosecution of the men who repeatedly moved around these sexual predators, allowing them to prey on whole new unsuspecting flocks. Don't get me wrong. I think the Vatican should be pawning their precious artwork to pay reparations. But Bernard friggin Law belongs in prison, right alongside the priests who did the diddling. I'd say he's just as culpable, but that's crap; he's MORE culpable for what they did. It was his job to at least move the recidivists into positions where they could never harm a child again. Actually, the morally, ethically and legally correct thing would've been to turn over the recidivists to the police, but hey, I'm not expecting a miracle, just the minimum action required out of sheer human decency. His actions were completely bereft of humanity... so much so, he should be stripped of his.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Hey Al: Nice! I wanna see one with him in black jack-boots. And maybe a few goosestepping cardinals marching behind him...

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:01 am:   

Not related to the Pope, but I think Africa should get double if not triple the normal prices on the world market. They should also pay at least half for any imports. How long have rich countries exploited and ripped them off? End of little rant.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:07 am:   

As I stated on Baker;s thread, the Church should be viewed as a corporation and its property TAXED, not as a punishment, but because it IS a corporation. That would hurt them worse that busting Law. That said, I heartily agree that Law deserves prison time, but It's impossible for me to get overwought about this because ever since I was a kid and beyond, this has been going on. Law's not a priest, he's a CEO. He shouldn't be expected to act differently than an exec with Enron.

What we're seeing in Ratzinger, in the Christian right, in Bin Lauden et al, is the last stand of orthodoxy. The great religions are breaking down and as long as there are blue jeans and CDs and so forth, as long as we don't revert to the stone age, they'll continue to break down.. But now it's a very dangerous time. The future of organized spirituality is in boutique religions...New Orleans is a good model. All these little storefront churches offering the consolations of everything from the consolations of Shango to those of Harold the Carrot God. I think we should do everything we can to hasten that day, to finalize the transition of the cross from religious significator to part of one's bling. Take the long view. The Catholic church will someday be one of those boutique religions. The best way, I feel, to counter it is ridicule and derision.. Pope Ratzinger gives us a beautiful target. I say we hurl words at him. Lots of words.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

Any church that engages in any kind of political activity, including passing opinions and urging action with regard to presidential candidates, should be subject to taxation. If the NAACP can be threatened with loss of its its tax-free organization status for seeming to promote certain candidates, so should any church.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   

Yes, and this reaching out that Ratzinger speaks of is a reaching out to fundamentalists, to the Christian right and etc, to anyone who'll stem the tide of liberalism, of reform, i.e., it's overtly political...

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   

Blake Mass

Pope

Blake

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Yow, he looks like Robert Blake in Mulholland Drive...

Or is that RB?

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

"Hello, Fred."

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   

MYSTERY MAN: We've met before, haven't we?

FRED: I don't think so. Where was it that you think we've met?

MYSTERY MAN: At your house. Don't you remember?

FRED (surprised): No, no I don't. Are you sure?

MYSTERY MAN: Of course. In fact, I'm there right now.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

Mystery Pope, huh? That's choice.

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   

I'm just curious as to whether anyone's read Frederick Rolfe's Hadrian the Seventh.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   

Nope. What exactly is it?

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   

Just read the first few pages and explanatory materials on Amazon. I was sorry when it ended.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

I'll check it out...

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

Heh, I meant to say, "I just read" (past tense) not "Just read" (as in, "I command you").

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 05:47 am:   

Forest, you asked about Kyle Orton -- he's probably gonna be the fifth QB taken.

Orlovosky's of UCONN's fallen way down the board--accuracy issues.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 05:56 am:   

Oops wrong thread! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:01 am:   

We might have to part with the notion of a popular Church. It is possible that we are on the verge of a new era in the history of the Church, under circumstances very different from those we have faced in the past, when Christianity will resemble the mustard seed [Matthew 13:31-32], that is, will continue only in the form of small and seemingly insignificant groups, which yet will oppose evil with all their strength and bring Good into this world. [1]

That's Ratzinger on the future of the church -- a self-fulfilling prophecy that make sense, at least in terms of what I was saying about the end of religion as we know it. But then he goes on:

The demographics are unmistakable: Europe is dying. The wasting disease that has beset this once greatest of civilizations is not physical, however. It is a disease in the realm of the human spirit ... Europe ... is boring itself to death. Europe's current demographic trend lines, coupled with the radicalization of Islam that seems to be a by-product of some Muslims' encounter with contemporary, secularized Europe, could eventually produce a 22nd-century, or even late-21st-century, Europe increasingly influenced by, and perhaps even dominated by, militant Islamic populations ... it is allowing radicalized 21st-century Muslims - who think of their forebears' military defeats at Poitiers in 732 ... as temporary reversals en route to Islam's final triumph in Europe - to imagine that the day of victory is not far off.

Whoa! Paranoid much?

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

I think Bobby Blake was LOST HIGHWAY, not MULHOLLAND DRIVE.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

Okay. I stand corrected.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   

Dammit, I got here too late for whatever was going on on Kage's board, and now I'll never know.

As for Benny XVI, I still have trouble getting over the idea that in the twenty-first century there's still such a thing as a pope in a palace, with the ring kissing and funny hats.

The continued existence of the Catholic church has always seemed to me the strongest argument against the existence of the Christian god, since how on earth (or in heaven, for that matter) would he put up with it for two thousand years?

On the other hand, it's a very convincing argument for the existence of the devil, and a pretty good indicator of his sense of humor.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

Forrest
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   

Kyle Orton is the Antichrist and will usher in a new era of apocalyptic upheaval to the NFL, along with his demonic horde of short wide receivers who will use their supernatural (some might say un-natural) prowess to leap over taller, better athletes in the opposition's secondary.

Oh, wait, wrong thread!

. . . or is it?

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   

Matt, the thing on Baker's board was much ado about nothing. Seriously. Nothing. I have to admit that Ratzinger, the Church, prest pedophiles, et al get my hackles up, but I'm beginning to be more exercised by the tepid let's be nice attitude prevalent on this board and the tendency of sycophants to huddle together and whisper, Bad! Bad! However, we are in agreement. The Church is Satanic.

Forest, yes and....no. :-)

Minz
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

It's a shame JF is gone--if you're lurking out there, Jeff, this post's for you!

Apparently our favorite Hitler Youth Pope had a hand in trying to lay down the law regarding strictly enforcing secrecy for sex abuser priests. Here's the link to a 2003 GUARDIAN article that mentions how RATzinger sent out a letter in 2001 reminding all the bishops that a strict edict from 40 years before still demands their silence.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1020400,00.html

While it can't directly indict RATzinger, it certainly doesn't speak well of the Grand Inquisitor.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   

Yeah, I read that on somebody's blog -- pretty amazing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register