Ringu Redux Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Ringu Redux « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/review.aspx?title=new/ring2

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:06 am:   

I can't bear to look.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

Didja look?

You have seven days...

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

Heh...I'm afraid to spoil any part of it...I wasn't at all hyped about the first one, so I was pleasantly surprised. And this is Nakata himself. After Dark Water, Ringu, Ringu 2 and Chaos, my hopes are up a bit. Not Dark Water high, but...at least Ringu high.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:43 am:   

Forget it. You should have no hopes. Absolutely none. And btw, I saw the preview for the remake of Dark Water at Ring Two. Jennifer Connolly in wet clothes seems to be what they're going for. Not bad in and of itself, but I don't have much hopes for it, either.

JJA
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   

I heard in The Ring 3, Samara sues Naomi Watts for copyright infringement.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   

Hopefully Naomi will move on to better things.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   

I actually liked the first Ring. I also liked Ringu, but I found the American version slightly scarier. I did see the Ring before Ringu, so I think that's a big part of why I found it scarier. After you know what happens, it just isn't as scary. After watching the movie, I was left with an unsettling feeling. I'm not easily scared by horror movies either -- I come from a generation desensitized and I've been watching horror movies since a young age... so I think there is some merit to the first Ring. Imagine if that movie was shown to people in the 40's, 50's, or even 60's. It's not like it's one of my favorite horror movies, but for hollywood It's not bad... To bad about the sequel, but I'm still curious to see it for myself on video. At least I've been warned.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   

I haven't seen the American version of the Grudge yet. I saw the original, so after that, I figured, do I really need to see the American remake?

I'd like to see Ringu 2 before Ring 2, or instead of Ring 2.

Bob Urell
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   

You know, I was talking with a friend who works...down there [Hollywood], and she was telling me what a success Ring 2 was. I tried arguing with her about it, but she started reading something "out of the trades" (me being too stubborn to admit not knowing what the fuck that means) about the average movie box-office take on opening weekend being 3 million dollars and Ring 2 having made 36 million was a smash. I wanted very desperately to argue with her, but she couldn't give a shit less about how good the movie was, just how much money it'd made.
Okay, obvious point that Lucius has pounded into my head over the years, but still worth thinking about. It's not going to ever get better because the stupid people need not fear that Darwinism will remove them from the gene pool. Or something.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   

"Imagine if that movie was shown to people in their 40s, 50s, 60s..."

What do you think would happen?

I can assure that people of that age have seen the movie and exhibit no ill effects,

Granted, if you know what happens it's not as scary, but the Hollywood version relied on video game tricks to earn its money, whereas Ringu built suspense without such gimmicks, though solid filmmaking

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   

Well, in hollywood terms it was a success. And that's why so many hollywood movies are not successfull as quality movies. It's like arguing the merit of profit to a hardcore capitalist.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   

You misquoted me. I said:

Imagine if that movie was shown to people in the 40's, 50's, or even 60's.

As in, if that movie was shown to people in those decades, not people of those ages. Your generation is desensitized too by now(I know, I'm stating obvious things, that have become cliche). I think the movie would have scared the shit out of many people back then. Just look at how unscary most of the horror movies from the 50's and 60's are by today's standards.

Granted, if you know what happens it's not as scary, but the Hollywood version relied on video game tricks to earn its money, whereas Ringu built suspense without such gimmicks, though solid filmmaking

You have a good point here. But I still think some of the visuals (assisted by techno tricks) are creepier in the Ring. I also liked Watt's performance and did feel that some suspense was built during the movie. Now, much of that suspense was generated by visual gimmickry, but not all of it.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   

I too liked The Ring (and saw it first) and was as creeped out by it as I have been by any major horror movie in many years. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered tracking down the Japanese versions. I thought they did a good job developing themes and images that were not completely formed in Ringu, and it was a rare case where I initially preferred the American remake to the original--a number of things I'd figured were ripped off from the movie were created solely for The Ring. So I found Ringu slightly disappointing, and thought Ringu 2 was better. The American versions gave up on Suzuki's essential and bizarre explanation for the ring--namely, that it modeled itself after a virus (smallpox?) because the girl herself was infected...the demonic energy basically seized that as a way of spreading.

The book is worth reading. It features a couple of completely unsympathetic protagonists. And on second viewing, I liked Ringu a lot more, and certain things about it do start to seem stronger than they ended up in the American version. The connection to the water, and children who play in the ocean being at risk, is one of those inexplicably creepy elements of Japanese folk myth like long black dripping wet hair...

I still prefer Dark Water to any of the Ringu movies, and I thought the Japanese Ju-On was horrible...my desire to see a watered down american version is almost nil.

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

So, Ringu 2's out on video. I should see Dark Water sometime, if I can find it.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   

I thought The Ring was okay, but made less sense than the original; I don't thing it was much better or much worse, but I'm sick of the reliance on jump scares in American films. I found it omitted elements of the Japanese movie, particularly as regards the demonic element and the loneliness of Sadako.

As to whether The Ring would have freaked out people in the 40s et al, that's neither here nor there. The film couldn't have been made then. Personally I find Psycho and a whole bunch of 60s films more disturbing than the Ring

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   

Personally I find Psycho and a whole bunch of 60s films more disturbing than the Ring

Yeah, but when did you first see those movies? Psycho's a better movie, I'm not denying that. But it's just not as scary today as it was then.

Do you think a movie like The Birds would still hold up as a scary movie today?

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

Maybe Gus Van Sant will remake The Birds, and we'll find out.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 05:23 pm:   

I thought the Birds sucked in the 60s....

I saw some of the movies when they came out and some much later

More later

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

OK, so what's wrong with Jennifer Connelly in wet clothes, again...? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

Nuttin'....

if that's all there is, though....

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 09:06 pm:   

Ok, I saw Ring 2. I wasn't disappointed because my hopes were very low; I got disappointed weeks ago. I'll just figure anyone reading this far down the thread doesn't mind spoilers. It was just a series of ominous non sequiturs--and what is more tired than the old possessed child story? I thought Naomi Watts was good in a relentlessly grim, one-note kind of role. When you're playing a mother terrified for your child, there's not much room to explore the studio space. Definitely needed more cowbell.

The stag scene was indeed remarkable and creepy in the way I'd hoped/expected from Nakata. And there were a handful of other moments and effects I thought showed an interesting intelligence at work...but the script and story were godawful and doomed the movie from the start. Blowing off the whole tape-ring-virus concept and concentrating on inexplicably evil Samara was a rather huge mistake. Doing her whole origin story robbed her of whatever mystery she had left--and, worse, it was the wrong origin story. This is not a kid whose mother should have survived to be crazy in an institution. No way. If they'd gone back to the book, they would have uncovered a lot more interesting material to draw on for this.

Too bad. I hope Nakata flees back to Japan for his own safety and sanity. Everything interesting about him is smothered here.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 09:31 pm:   

I won't say I told you so. :-) Actually, I noticed some moments in Watts performance where the pissed-off Why-did-I-sign-up-for-this thing showed though and generally I found her less than enthused. But the script...yeah!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register