Rock Music 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Rock Music 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

New Thread Girl
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

By Dave G. on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:44 pm:

I'm in the process of listening to The Great Destroyer, the new disc by Low, the great midwestern slowcore band that, on this release (their first on Sub Pop) actually rock out just a little bit.

Anyone else think that these guys are among the very most underrated bands of this benighted decade? (Granted, metal junkies are advised to stay away...) I can hardly think of an underground band these past ten years that has assembled such an interesting and moving body of work.

This is going to be the Big Star of our time.
   By Duane on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

I saw Low in the late 90s opening for Come and Bettie Sieveert. They didn't do much for me and I've quickly sold every disc of theirs I've bought.

The underground ain't what it used to be.
   By Dave G. on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:55 pm:

I agree the underground ain't what it used to be. Personally, I can't wait for the original Gang of Four line-up to return and start gigging again. I think they will open a lot of eyes.

Low may not have enough edge for some folks, but I find their melodic melancholy kind of affecting. Don't be surprised if these records sound fresher in 5, 10 years' time than almost all of that Williamsburg nu-rock everybody hypes.

About halfway through Mogwai's Government Commissions BBC Sessions disc, also a winner.
   By T Andrews on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 02:30 pm:

I just heard 'Grady''s first cd: Y.U. So Shady? My spousal unit saw them live last week.
They are a 3-piece. Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar fame and Chris Layton and Ben Richardson. Impressive trio, eh?
I love their sound. It's kinda like rock-a-billy meets heavy metal. Sweet sweet stuff.
(StephenB, don't argue with me, man!!)
   By StephenB on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:02 pm:

T: I haven't even heard Grady, so no argument.

Rock albums this year that should be good:

I'm looking forward to System of a Down's Mezmerize, which is comming out this may. Then later this year, they'll have another album called Hypnotize.

Queen's of the Stone Age have a new album comming at the end of the month.

Violent Femmes just had a new album out recently I think. I like the Femmes, and I'd consider them folk rock. Anyone heard their latest album?

NIN's next album, With Teeth's out in early may.

Tool should have a new album this year, which will probably be great.

Deftones will have an album out in June.

Zack De La Rocha is supposed to have something out at the end of the year. Does anyone know who he's working with?

Portishead should have an album out at the end of the year. It's been awhile....

Mudvayne and The Chille Peppers also have albums out this year.

That's probably not all.

Massive Attack has an album this year too. I don't know if I;d call them rock, they're more electronica, but I still like them. Even if I don't really like electronic music in general.

This should be a good year for rock.

By StephenB on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:15 pm:

I should add that I'm not convinced all the albums I've listed will be good. We'll see what Trent does. The Peppers may be too top 40 orientated, but they also may make a good album, we'll see.
   By Dave G. on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 06:45 am:

It's about time for Portishead. I hope they tour again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

White American Male
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   

I feel somebody should speak for Lucius since he's not around, so I will:

A new Tool album! Be still my heart!

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

the de la rocha album is meant to be his solo project, isn't it?

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   

It's a solo project in the sense he isn't working with Rage, I guess. I'm assuming he'll be working with other musicians, considering he's not a musician himself; he's a singer, poet, and revolutionary, but not a musician. I just don't know who they'll be.

Audioslave will have a new album out this year as well.

Rich
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

Lucius, this is your ex-bass player, Rich Spang. How the hell are you? I live up in Seattle. I hear you're on the west coast, too. I hear Portland? Is that right? I'd love to get together with you and shoot the shit if we're not too far apart. I read a couple of your books, man. You're weirder than ever. So come back at me, all right? Let's get some beers or something.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:14 am:   

Rich, Lucius won't be around for a little while. He's hard at work on a couple books and is taking a trip to Honduras. So if he doesn't reply, it's not because he doesn't want to see you.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

Rich, email me at luciustshepard@yahoo.com

Great to hear from you.

al duncan
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:18 am:   

Dave G.: Funny enough, I'm at this very moment ripping The Great Destroyer onto my work PC (as well as idly browsing the Night Shade forum; ye can tell I'm a hard worker, eh?). Hadn't heard much of their stuff... just picked it up as an impulse buy, having heard a couple of tracks in my local record shop. It's sorta drifting towards that Mogwai post-rock territory at points, I thought. Not bad.

If ye like Mogwai, btw, ye might wanna watch out for another Glasgow band called G-Plan. Only one album out at the moment in the UK, and it doesn't quite measure up to the live set because it was recorded just after they picked up a violinist, before the sound had really *quite* come together... but it's still bloody superb. Same quiet / loud / quiet / loud thing as Mogwai and their ilk, but I actually find G-Plan more engaging, I'd have to say.

OK, Low ripped. Next up is Kinski.

Duane
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

*Mogwai post-rock territory...*

You mean, the fucking desert, the geographic analogue of a yawn?

Yowzah!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

Duane, admittedly it's not for everybody. I listen to a lot of trance/ambient/downtempo techno stuff, so Low is tailor-made for me. I would never recommend them or Mogwai to a Queens of the Stone Age fan, tho.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   

stephenb--

did you just call de la rocha a revolutionary? brave call, man ;)

but i did get he'd be doing it with other musicians. i've not heard much about it, but i did enjoy the 'march of death' song he and dj shadow (?) put out a while back.

i'm hoping the new audioslave album will be a bit more interesting, lyrically speaking. i am the highway was a bit much.

Dave G.
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

Ben, I'm glad you said it! A revolutionary on the cover of Vanity Fair???? :-)

Duane
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:01 am:   

Zack de la Rocha, revolutionary?

What more proof do we need that the revolution __will__ be televized?

Zack de la Rocha, trademark/corporate logo.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   

Duane, I don't think you understand what Zack's about. He is waaay more active and revolutionary than say Bono. Who's put on a rock pedestal, of being this great humanitarian.

i'm hoping the new audioslave album will be a bit more interesting, lyrically speaking. i am the highway was a bit much.

Ben I wouldn't count on that from Chris. Zack is a far better lyricist. Chris has a decent enough voice, and that's why he's an alright lead singer, but he's not that great. I'm more interested in the band itself. Part of why I really liked rage was the unique sound of the band. You've got a really tight and solid rhythm section. Which's not flashy but can play in the pocket. Then you've got a really innovative guitarist, who can do some interesting things, partly because he has a strong rhythm section to work with. Morello truely is an innovator. But, I agree, I'm hopeing their next album will be better. It's almost like they're holding back for Chris' singing.

Duane
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   

"He is waaay more active and revolutionary than say Bono."

Bono is a revolutionary, too?

I did not know that. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   

stephenb--

i'm not really hoping for much from cornell. lyrically speaking he's never been brilliant, but he can work up a nice passable that isn't 'i am the highway'. that said, i didn't mind the album they put out because i like the band. they play well together. i saw them perform (as audioslave) last year or so, and it was a pretty solid show. despite the corporate connection to them, all four play as a solid band and they put on a good jumping show with no rage or soundgarden covers. was pretty cheap, too, for a band of their profile and international status. i paid something around fifty bucks for it, which is the starting from for international bands with a profile over here.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 06:26 am:   

The revolution will not only be televised, it will be available to download at a special low price on the revolution's own "special edition" iPod!

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   

I've heard the new Queens of the Stone Age album and I like it.

I've also heard that Trent collaborating for the first time. That musican's Dave Grohl, who plays drums on the album. Apparently they worked pretty closely together. NIN has always been percussion intensive... Grohl plays real drums on all of the tracks but on some Trent's adding his own electronic percussion.

Trent has also said that this album will actually be real, that everything he has done before is a lie. And with the way things are right now, he couldn't not be political.

After hearing all that I'm more looking forward to the new album.

Don't know if Lucius is... I doubt it.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

In case anyone's interested, I've heard the new NIN album. So Grohl isn't really that big a part of it. My friend who told me that Grohl was heavily imvolved, was exaggerating, or just plain bullshiting (this friend's known for it too) to get me hyped. I didn't bother to confirm it. So, it seems like a lot of more of the same for Trent. I wasn't that impressed, but maybe it will grow on me more once I've heard it a little more.

MCisco
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   

Lucius - Have you heard, or have I already blabbed to you about Ghost?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:35 am:   

I just saw Michio Kurihara from Ghost play a show with Damon Krukowski and Naomi Yang. He is a great guitarist, maybe one of my favorites working today.

D&N did a show a couple years back opening for the full band Ghost, which, I am ashamed to say I missed. My bad.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 10:40 am:   

Lucius, do you like any of John Shirley's bands, like Sado-Nation and Red Star?

I think he's a good punk rock singer and lyricist, as well as a writer. And I think he's worked with some good musicians.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

Sorry Mike, Dave...I didn't see your posts.

I'e been listening to Ghost for, gosh, is it almost ten years? I think they're spotty, but have made some great albums....

Stephan, Shirley's okay, but not a favorite...

Stephen
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

I wouldn't call him a favourite either. Just wondering...

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:50 am:   

The new System Album "Mezmorize" is good. Not as heavy as their earlier stuff, and I wouldn't say it's quite as good as their first two albums, but still good. They totally don't hold back in their American comentary. They even take a stab at rock stars in what seemed like self parody. I wish I had it and could listen to it again right now. The last two tracks, "Old School Hollywood" and, "Lost In Hollywood", Lucius would likely get a kick out of. A sample track from the album can be heard at their site: http://www.systemofadown.com/

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

Just thought I would throw in a word about the Gang of 4/Radio 4 reunion show in DC this past wknd.

Much as all reunion shows are kind of a drag in certain ways (well-earned retirement plan padding for the bands; nostalgia wallows for the old-timers; oldies show for the kids), I have to say that G04 definitely did not disgrace themselves. Those guys can still play and they put on a good, hard-hitting show that really reminded you of why you dug them in the first place. All the high points of "Entertainment" and "Solid Gold," with "We Live As We Dream, Alone" from "Songs of the Free" and a cover of "Sweet Jane" thrown in for old times' sake. Maybe a little ragged in places, and Hugo Burnham's drumming could use a smidge of tightening, but, overall, impressive. I didn't leave scratching my head and thinking "why did they bother?" and, for me, that's really something with a reunion gig.

And after the way they fizzled out first time, they deserve a chance to play before a jam-packed, rapturous venue.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   

So now they're Monsters of Punk...

Last week I caught Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Great soul-funk show with an incredibly tight band. They did a funk version of This Land Is Your Land that has to be heard to be believed....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   

It's the "Mission of Burma" conundrum. Is it more noble to be "of the moment" and virtually ignored, or to be a dinosaur band on a cash-in nostalgia trip and be actually compensated and appreciated? Galaxie 500 would face the same issues, except they will never reunite.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   

I'd like to personally thank Galaxie 500 for their forbearance...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   

You are so mean...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   

No, Galaxie 500 was mean. They helped do this to me.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   

Ok Lucius. I'll put this here, instead of at Jeff's.

I think I know where you're coming from. You admire more emotional type drummers who play by feel, as apposed to the technical and chops heavy drummers. Myself, I'm more of an emotional drummer, but that doesn't mean I can't admire some technical wizards.

Look at one of my favourite drummers, Tony Williams. He was both those types of drummer and is one of the great innovators in drumming, partly because he mixed the feeling with the technical in suckh a unique way.

You mock rock drummers like Peart and Carrey. Saying some Jazz drummers laugh at Peart. Well, they're Jazz drummers, and I'm assuming they're good ones, so that puts them at a higher level then rock drummers, naturally. But they're different beasts.

You like punk music. So do I. But you have to admit that most punk drumming is pretty low as drumming goes. But you like the emotion and energy, and I like that too. The sloppy drumming can even add to the appeal for real deal punk bands. But those types of bands died in 91 and you know it. But would you compare those drummers to Jazz drummers?

The 80's were a low point in drumming, with the clash of eletronic drums and punk drummers, against truly good drumming in the tradition of guys like Steve Gadd and Elvis Jones. You might even make the argument that Neal Peart was a part of that (although many recognize him as the best rock drummer in that era). The good drummers had yet to learn how to utilize electronic drums on their kits properly, and to combat the machines replacing real drummers. But even in that period there was great innovators like Dave Weckl (who learned to use eletronic drums) and Vinnie Colaiuta.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   

And I never said Neal Peart was my criteria for great drumming. I was just asking you a current rock drummer (who's still playing today) who's better than Danney Carrey. Some would argue Neal Peart is. Personally I;d bring up guys like Tim Alexander.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   

To me, asking that question is like asking which pig do you prefer to sleep with...it's not a question I can answer. I find the sludge rock that Tool passes off as music to be unlistenable and giving their drummer any credit for it....I can't even comment. These guys are rock stars, assholes by definition. They're not musicians, they're poseurs, they're pretentious losers who happen to have won the lottery and don't know what else to do, so they go on making their "music." They have the substantiality of beer farts and that--the length of time it takes a beer fart to fade--is how long it'll take their legacy to dissipate after they leave the stage. Then they'll do a reunion tour and all these balding middleafe guys will come out and hold up lit cigarette lighters. And that'll be that.

Jazz drummers relate to punk music a lot more than they do to pigeon dribble like Tool. I've known jazz musicians to moonlight with punk bands.because the feeling was real at least. But how do you relate to a bunch of dumbass riffage of the kind Tool puts forth...it's not musical, it's technical, and not even very interesting technical. Why argue. You think they're gods and I think they're snot burgers, everything that's wrong with rock today. I find so litlle to listen to, I look to Europe, to Malaysia, to Japan, for my rock fix.. There are good American bands, but they get talked about and they don't last. These are the end times. Tool rules...

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   

You can't just lump all rock musicians as no talent assholes who got lucky. As rock bands go, Tool is one of the more intelligent and innovative. Would you say the same thing about Pink Floyd? Because Tool's the Pink Floyd of my generation. And Pink Floyd became big because they wrote some good music. Just like Tool. Yes Tool can get a tad pretentious. I realize that. But so could Pink Floyd. I hope you realize that. By saying Tool's legacy will fad, is myopic on your part. That's like if someone in the 60's and 70's said that Led Zepplin's and Pink Floyd's legacy will fade shortly after they're done. Whether you like it or not.

Tool's not the best band out there. But in terms of mainstream rock, which got that way without promotion like most rock bands, they may well be.

I'm not really happy with how they're getting big. How along with A Perfect Circle, it seems to be going to Maynard's head. But I think Danny will try to keep Tool grounded, with some integrity intact.

Radio Head's another band that I like that was always mainstream. But Ok Computer still remains my favourite album by them. They're big rock stars now too. When Ok Computer and Aenema came out, I thought they both kicked ass. They were some of the best rock albums at the time

You're defending punk, but today the majority of what's called "punk" suck. Talk about poseurs, these whinny little clone copies, with the same drum beat and guitar riffs over and over, and munufactured punk attitudes, is just gross. It's a sad time for punk music aswell, when the ruling band is Green Day. But at least Green Day is political now criticising America and the Bush adim. Fuck that, how cliched and fucking predictable is that cash in. Of the few modern mainstream punk bands, Bad Religion's one of the few I like. Now, small punk bands at local shows kick ass, forsure.

But, really, the 80's were a terrible decade in music in general, and the only good shit was punk bands, fighting back against that. It's just not the same today. You can't look at music through the goggles of the 80's anymore. But I agree, this decade may turn out to be worse than the 80's with popular crap taking over. So maybe you can?

Europes has always had the best metal.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:46 am:   

I'm not lumping--I'm talking about those no talent corportate rockers Tool. And don't hand me this shit about tthey got their own label, thus they're not corporate--the Stones have had their own label for years and they're the soul of corporate. I can't even listen to a Tool album--it's like listening to treated waste. If they're your generation's PF, your generation is is need of a taste transplant. Don't look at rock and roll through the goggles of the 80s? I was out of the country during most of the 80s and didn't listen to music. Do you know anything about indie rock? Bands like Savage Republic, Sun City Girls, Three Mile Pilot, LaBradford, Slint, Black Sun Ensemble, Cobra Verde, Ka-spell, Rocket from the Crypt, Come, early Jon Spenser, Cop Shoot Cop, Alchynists, etc....I've never heard you mention any band that wasn't massively popular. It's like the whole indie thing didn't happen for you. Quit looking at rock though corporate goggles! Ever listen to Japanese bands like Ghost or Acid Temple Mother? Ever listen to Arabic rock, bands like Ahlam and Marjoun? It seems your taste has been shaped by AM radio. Seriously, man. You accuse me of being an old fart, but it seems to me I;ve been listening to a lot more adventurous music than you over the past 10 or 15 years.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:04 am:   

I can't stand it when people slag off the 80s. Sure, when you listen to the top 40 stuff that makes the compilations (Madonna, Howard Jones, a-Ha and whatnot), it's lousy, but the same is true for any era, not least of all this one.

What I remember about the 80s was the incredibly rich profusion of music (indie before there was "indie," "alternative" and MTV) that came out of the US and Europe after punk broke (Television, Pixies, Muses, Cocteaus, Comsat Angels, the Names, 23 Skidoo, Durutti Column, the Postcard bands from Scotland, Ben Watt, Tracey Thorne, etc. etc.). It goes on and on.

The decade ran out of steam late, IMHO, during the run-up to grunge, but compared to the excesses of the laid-back LA cowboy 70s or the prefab Spice Girls/boy band 90s, the 80s as a whole churned out far more worthwhile rock and pop music than any decade since the 1960s. Yeah, I know, decades are an arbitrary construct, but since we are discussing this, my $.02.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:11 am:   

Yeah, those are some good bands,to whom I would add Magazine, Bahaus, Fields of the Nephilim, etc. I still prefer the experimentation of the 90s, but you have a point...

R.Wilder
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:56 am:   

If you think the music of the 80s sucked, you're spending all of your time looking up at the corporate monolith and ignoring the splendor of independent artistry that's spread all around your feet.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

Yah, mon!

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 08:36 am:   

Wow, Magazine...Now there was a really interesting band that is almost impossible to classify. What a shame Howard Devoto seems to have disappeared from the scene. And what a shame that Luxuria didn't hang around a bit longer. I'm really sorry I missed Mag. Don't think they ever played a Boston gig; they played at a club called the Main Act in Lynn, which used to showcase some of the more outre punk acts.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

Magazine...I saw once in Detroit af ter coming back from Salvador and wasn't in the mood to hear music; but I grew to like them afterward and wished I'd been in the mood.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:27 am:   

I never accused you of being an old fart. I don't think you're that at all. Some of those bands I've heard of, like Savage Republic. Some I haven't. I was born in 81 so I didn't exactly grow up with the 80s indy scene. I'm well veresed in indy metal and some punk. But I grew up with 90s rock and metal, like the goth rock of the early 90s, and the metal boom in the 90s. Also mainstream bands like Nirvana, Tool, and Radiohead. I know there was a lot of good music from the 80s but it was all mostly independent or punk (I'm not saying that's bad). The 90s at least had better rock. You know, 80s bands like the Pixies, Butthole Surfers, and Chille Peppers, I was listening too, but it's a matter of exposure. To hear a lot of good small bands you have to live in a city with a good live circuit or be able to afford a nice rare record collection. When I can, I will totally get some of those independent bands you've mentioned which I haven't heard. Anyway, I've talked to guys who pretty much only like punk music, and they've said Tool's the only corporate "sellout" band that's good. Tool doesn't really have a corporate sensibility, if you'd listen to the lyrics. They think everyone's a sellout, because everyone supports the system by being a part of it. And they do have talent. Maynard can sing with great emotional range. Danny's a wicked drummer. Paul's not a very technically good guitarist, with most of his riffs are very simple, but I think he's creative and makes trippy stuff to go along with Danny's drums. Paul is also visualy creative if you've ever seen any of their videos, which they've maintained creative control over. So I don't think they should be viewed as a metal band, but more of a progressive hard rock band. Did you even like them when they were small? With Opiate?

Did you like the prog bands of the 70s like King Crimson and Yes? (You've already mentioned you don't like Rush).

I like Fields of Nephilim, which I'd consider metal. And Bauhaus.

But I'll admit I've got a lot to learn about some of the best bands out there and I'm totally willing. I do want better!

Have you heard ChupaCabra? They're a good up in coming band to watch out for.

Do you like any of Mike Patton's bands? Mr. Bungle's good. Tomahawk's ok.

Have you heard the swedish metal band Meshuggah? They're alright, not the best swedish band, but I saw them open for, you guessed it, Tool.

Have you listened to much goth metal? Like the Italian band Lacuna Coil? They're pretty good.

I like some symphonic metal, like Rhapsody and Emperor (which is also black).

Death and Black metal can be good but sometimes they go too far. And once you get into the attitude that anything that sells reasonably well sucks (like true black metal) you're limiting yourself to worthy music. Not that really raw underground stuff doesn't kick ass. There's just other good stuff too. You know? And sometimes good music sells decently because it's good. I think that attitude can turn phony after a bit. Bathory, one you've mentioned, does kick ass in a bad sort of way:-).

Isn't it ironic that the Satan worshipers don't sell their souls to the music industry? They have more integrity then lots of other bands.

I could list a lot of metal bands that I like.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

I also like some of the folk bands from the 80s like Violent Femmes.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

Let;s take Tool out of the conversation. We'll never agree.

I've wat ched too many good bands turn corporate and lose their mojo to believe in the potentials of corporate rock. It's like the movie busness, it swallows talent. So the impliciy accusation that I'm a rock snob just doesn't work ....But anyway I'm busy working now. I'll get back to you...

Nels
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:00 am:   

Sorry to butt in -- but Slint and Nephilim and Rocket From The Crypt and Jon Spencer and the Violent Femmes mentioned in a thread! Fuck, I have got to come around here more often.

By the by: anyone ever heard the one about Polly Harvey auditioning for the then vacant lead singer position in Slint, just before they actually broke up? Anyone know if that's true? Just an aside.

All the best,

Nels.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:04 am:   

Hey Nels,

iI never heard that rumor. If true, wow, it would have reaaranged rock history.

By the way, I'm going to buy the Chavez fight tonight, dlose my eyes during the main event and watch Rafael Vargas and what should be a good bout between Famosito Hernandez and Jesus Chavez. But that main even t....Yech!

Nels
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

Lucius: Noooooooooo! Save your money, man! Buy Chavez versus Rosario on DVD or something. Like I did, the other day.

Just kidding. But I believe Rafa Marquez is on the bill, isn't he? He should be a star. And Famosito versus Jesus Chavez can't be anything but a war; those guys don't know how to go backwards.

I just hope neither JCC nor Ivan Robinson get hurt. You have to wonder how big JC superstar's tax bill is...

On the Slint/Polly thing: It does sound too good to be true, doesn't it? Nobody ever brings it up any more -- fuck, I'm probably the last person who cares. Hey ho.

Take care, and enjoy the fights!

Nels.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   

Nels, I think Ivan is already among the walking dead. Rafael is right up there with Floyd for me as far as pound for pound.

Chavez-Rosario is the one fight of his I care to watch a second and third time. Most of JC's fight were against second raters. I wish Duram had stuck around at welter or junior welter long enough to shut him up. The fight I don't want to see is Chavez Jr. The kid oughta really think it over about a boxing career.

Nels
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 01:25 am:   

To stop this drifting further off-topic, Lucius, is it okay that I've posted my reply in the other thread?

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/32/4345.html?1117355060

Cheers,

Nels

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   

Lucius, I guess my main point is: yes, underground music (and movies) are way better and cooler in general. But sometimes music that becomes a little more mainstream is still good music and that's partly why it becomes successful. That's all.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

I share the board's disdain for network TV and reality freakshows in particular, but I was shocked to see that, among the contestants on NBC's "Hit Me Baby, One More Time" where-are-they-now derby tomorrow night will be Martha Davis and the Motels, an actual quality band that I saw back in 1981 when "Suddenly, Last Summer" was a college radio hit. Ghoulish curiosity dictates that I watch.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:14 am:   

"Hit Me Baby" is not anything that anyone looking for art should sample, but fans of goofy, ridiculous and patently bizarre televised spectactle (it still kills me that I missed "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?") could do much worse.

The part where the oldsters deliver their hits is pretty routine, but in the second half of the show, they each have to cover a current pop hit and then it gets really bizarre. Haddaway crawled on the ground like a snake to the music of Britney Spears, the Motels cooked up a strange, metallic Norah Jones cover and Vanilla Ice (!!!) won the night with a wacked out "cover" of Destiny's Child's "Survivor" that had to be seen and heard to be believed. It was one of the gaudiest, ugliest, most fascinating train wrecks I've ever seen on television.

If only they could work up an episode with Simple Minds, Billy Idol, Echo and the Bunnymen and the Psychedelic Furs...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

I went to bar and watched this hideous mess on your recommendation...

I owe you! :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   

Wasn't it worth it just for the footage of Martha Davis doing that faux Vegas Egyptian dinner-theater thing?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   

That was the fucking low point...and she wasn't even joking. Next time I'm in seattle I'm gonna stalk her and put her out of her misery. :-)

Someday, Dave...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   

Saw this great band last night. Shaken Babies. Punkish, but can really play...attitude.
Great songs... I love Shaken Babies.

marcusp
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   

The Babies rule!

Have you heard Skull Fracture in E#Sharp Minor?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 06:10 am:   

Is that their EP? I ordered it. They sold out of them at the show.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

Hey, Lucius, Greg Kihn is going to be on our new favorite show Hit Me Baby One More Time this week!

You in? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:04 am:   

Shaken Babies... :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:06 am:   

I saw a bit of Irene Cara and Hot Caramel...

Should have been called Irene Cara and Stiff Caked Caramel Like You Find Under A Theater Seat.

No thanks....

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Yeah, Irene was rotten. But don't tar Greg Kihn with the same caramel-laden brush!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Yes I will. He's no Wang Chung...

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

...but then, who is?

BT
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   

I'm not a regular visitor to this forum, but after reading through this thread I thought I'd mention a great rock band you may have never heard of: Clutch. Check out their new album Robot Hive/Exodus and last year's Blast Tyrant for what I think are the best rock albums of 2005 and 2004, respectively.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Will do, BT....thanks.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

Lucius, are we ever going to get the Hope Sandoval story? :-)

R.Wilder
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   

YEAH, DAVE G!!! M'MAN!! HOPE! HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!
(been waitin' fer years...)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 08:00 am:   

I never check that story,,,Now I'm too enbarrassed to tell it.

R.Wilder
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

Lucius, you tease...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

I meant to say, I never check this thread. It's just a little story. But all right....

When I was in Seattle, I knew a lot of guys who were musicians who worked at tower records. That gave me some perks at tower, I'd go in the back of the store a lot, hang out. Anyway, I went to see Mazzy Star one night. Sort of a letdown. There were candles lit all around the stage. It was kind of low energy. Sandoval was a babe, but so what...So the next morning I'm hanging out at tower with Pete, this friend of mine, and Hope Sandoval comes in --the band's going to do an in-store and she's way early, so the manager tells Pete to let her wait in the back, get her what she needs, take care of her, etc. So me and Pete go on back with her. He asks if she wants anything to eat or drink, and she acts like he farted in her face and says, very clipped, no. Okay, just let me know if you want anything I'll be right over here, he says. So we sit at this table, I'm reading the paper, Pete's writing up some orders, we're talking now and then, and Hope never says a word. She's got her nose up in the air, hands in lap, back straight, not a look in our direction. Pete gets up to buy a coke, asks again if she wants anything. This time she doesn't even reply. You can see the word balloon over her head containing the word, Serf! Or Mongrel! Or something. She's just going to pretend we're not there. Pray we don't rape her. The working class is known for its rapists. You could see her thought s, I swear. Well, finally, the band comes, they do the in-store, and they split for Portland. A week later the manager gets a letter from Hope. It's written on litte girl stationary, with cuddly kittens wearing bows and shit, and lined paper, and in it she accuses Pete and I of being mean to her. She used that exact phrase...They were mean to me. It's signed Hope, and there's a smiley face in the O.

Rock stars!

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

Lucius, your story lived up to the hype.

By the way...did you check out the INXS reality show debut last night?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

Glad you liked it.

I ashamed to admit, I did.

Not as good as the Surreal Life, with Jose Canseco....

You can already guess the final three or four singers.

T Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:03 am:   

I was happy to see some women over thirty. The blonde chick from Vancouver (Deanna?) was great. I don't know which one's going to get it, but it's pretty clear which ones aren't.

(The Canadian MuchMoreMusic station will be showing us this season's Surreal Life later in the year. I skipped the previous season's horrors after watching Mini-me naked and drunk, urinating in a corner while sitting on his motorized thing. But I gotta admit this current season looks worthy.)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

I thought the redhead had it going on -- she looked a little like an old girlfriend; but then most everyone looks like that in Seattle....

I'm not sure which blond you mean. I liked the one who got booted--she had really interesting voice.

The black guy should last, but they won't take him.

Canseco and Janet Dickinson...Yeah. Match made in hell.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   

I missed RSINXS, dammit! And I really planned to check it out. Got out of work late and couldn't convince the bartender to turn it on. The commercials made it look uber-trashy.

I've got to say that Hope story is pretty damn good. I only saw MS once, and they were pretty decent (Codeine opening...a nice bill). But the whispers I've heard are to the effect that Hopey is a bit of a mopey prima donna. Mopey Hopey. My guess is that her career trajectory will bring her back to earth fairly soon. Roback should never have busted up The Rain Parade, IMHO.

Story would have been better if you HAD farted in her general direction.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   

It;s less trashy than you might think. Trashy is the surreal life...

Is Mazzy Star still happening?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   

I thought she had ditched them for her solo career. What was that album, BAVARIAN BANANA BREAD or something like that? OK, but not as good as MS. Don't hear much from her these days, do you? I wonder if her "Helena Bonham Carter with autism" act will play in the age of the hip-hop hoochie mama?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   

For real trash, watch Blow Out Tuesday night on Bravo...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   

Nope, Hope won't float...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   

I don't think the blonde with the deep voice will win -- she's great but not right for INXS. I still like the redhead.

R.Wilder
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   

It's anti-climatic, but what the fuck. Your Dylan story cool as shit.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:13 am:   

Yeah, Lucius, I think you're right about Deanna. I missed the redhead's performance, dammit.
A guy'll have to win it--I think Marty, maybe. Too bad they're doing that voting shit; I wasn't expecting that.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:37 am:   

The first couple were OK. The redhead who did Jeff Airplane actually has a voice. At least six of those INXS performances were "security, can you usher this person out the back door right away?" bad. Real bad. Bottom of the bill on Tuesday night at Rocco's in Waukegan bad. That girl Daphna had bad pipes, bad clothes, bad moves, everything. The shirtless guy who did Creedence should have been savagely beaten. The woman who sang Cheap Trick sings like my sister at a particularly raucous wedding. Where do they find the bubbleheads to cheer enthusiastically at this stuff?

All in all, this was the worst hour of TV I've ever seen. Train wreck city, redeemed only by the presence of Brooke Burke. Navarro has the expression of a guy who feels any semblance of cred ebbing away. The INXS guys must be crapping themselves at the thought of having to tour with any of those kids, half of whom are like boozed-up undergrad karaoke singers and half of whom are like Halloween freaks. And those Broadway babies...Wow. These are "the best rockers in the world?"

Perversely, bizarrely, frighteningly fascinating and Springeresque. Can't guarantee I won't watch again.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:08 am:   

Worse than Hit Me Baby One More Time? I don't think so. Worse than Blow Out? Nah. Worse than Hogan Knows Best. No way.

Agreed about shirtless. Executed would be better.

Who's Brooke Burke? The hostess? She didn't save anything, in my book. She had on more make-up than Immelda Marcos and all her grandchildren...

T, the redhead tore up Somebody to Love last night.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

The redhead was one of the better ones. Overall, the parade of RENT-audition rejects, fashion victims and glorified singing waitresses was disheartening. Personally, I think Rock Star: INXS makes Hit Me Baby One More Time look like Soundstage. At least HMBOMT features professionals who know (knew?) what they are doing. Some (Motels, Howard Jones, for ex.) were almost OK...

Last night, anyone missing an item of clothing (shirt, shoes) would have been instantly cashiered by my henchmen, if I were running things.

Yeah, Brooke kind of has that spring-break-bimbo thing, but I found that a blessed relief from the off-key singing.

You're right. She wasn't the saving grace. The actual saving grace of the show was the occasional bemused/horrified reaction shot of one of the INXS guys who temporarily forgot to look "into it."

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:16 am:   

Oh, btw, I watched part of BLOW OUT and it didn't seem as bad to me as BOBBY BROWN or even, for that matter, CHASING FARRAH or GASTINEAU GIRLS. It's just some guy doing hair, isn't it? Still can't wait to catch HOGAN!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:32 am:   

Hogan's just boring--its all about him as a family man, You had a tame episode of blow-out last night . Jonathan is a super prick, The scenes with his shrink are fantastic. Bobby Brown is too trashy for me.

And yeah, the band reaction shots are good.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Maybe the "vote for the worst" online cult will mount a campaign for the Cheap Trick girl or armpit boy. Watching INXS taking a whack at "Suicide Blonde" or "New Sensation" with one of those singing would be almost comical enough to watch.

INXS debuting the same week as the release of Paul Anka's ROCK SWINGS big-band CD...Rock ain't dead, but it's sure getting the crap kicked out of it, eh?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:43 am:   

Also, I note that the first woman to get voted off INXS was the one who listed Soundgarden's BAD MOTOR FINGER as her favorite disc, ie, one of the only contestants with actual taste.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:41 am:   

If they don't get rid of MiG soon, I may have to give up on it entirely. He shoulda stayed in the theatre. He should split and take Brooke Seacrest with him.
I gotta say, Dave, the band members look pretty relaxed and genuine in their behavior, to me, and Navarro, though irritating, has an earnestness about him that makes him a good choice for this particular train wreck.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

The INXS boys do a pretty good job selling...as well as can be expected, anyhow. But a couple of times during last night's episode, you could tell they surprised guys with candid reaction shots they weren't expecting. There was one particularly priceless one of Tim where his face was just blank with shock.

Navarro is a surprisingly oily pitchman, but in his occasional groping for faint praise ("I liked that you turned around and acknowledged the band..."), one can detect just the faintest acknowledgement of embarrassment...He is a good soldier, tho.

Why does everybody hate my Brooke? I won't hear of it! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

Because she right out of the vat, man. Do the song, In Every Dream Home a Heartache, ring a bell. "Inflatable doll..."

Which one is Mig?

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:23 am:   

Mig's the guy who did the Kinks' 'All Day and All of the Night' last night...on the debut show he did Smells Like Teen Spirit.
He's from London; has starred in a couple of West End musicals. This isn't a guy who's always wanted to rock.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

He's one of the RENT boys...I have not found anyone to root for on the show. Might as well root for Red; she's as good as any of them.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Dave, man, you're so hard!! :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

You're overrating INXS, man. Several of the people would be fine for them, I think. They were crappy in the first place.

Yeah, Mig sucks. There are a coupe of them with interesting voices.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

I kind of liked the woman with the ponytails and the big, husky voice. Daphna was bad. I didn't find Jordis very good at all, either. Marty's version of "Take Me Out" was kind of enjoyable. Ty was acceptable, if stiff. Jessica, Suzie and Tara were awful.

Hey, I ain't that hard to please. (I mean, I'm watching "Rock Star: INXS" for cripe's sake!) But about half a dozen of the performances were absolutely rotten, and another four or five were completely forgettable. They fail to reach even the minimal level of interest.

Say what you want about Hutchence. Watching this show really makes you appreciate what it takes to front even a mediocre band.

Am I the only one who was thinking, "Sheet, I could go down to [insert neighborhood watering hole here] on open mic night and find someone better than these guys?"

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:13 am:   

Yeah, she's interesting, the blond with the husky voice, and yeah, you can tell the small group from which the winner will come...or can you? It's a kick.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:20 am:   

Was that an INXS pun???

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:47 am:   

What??

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:55 am:   

"Kick" was their big hit album. I thought you were making an inside reference...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

I never bought an INXS album...I had taste. :-)

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   

You know they suck when they have a show like whatever it's called. The ladies sure liked Hutchence, but hot because he was that great of a singer. All he had to do is sway suggestively to the music in his videos. They had a couple of catchy sings and Hutchence had the sexuality and emotional issues to make them big. But comon guys, they suck...:-)

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   

Not that either of you were saying you liked the band. But you still watch the show...:-)

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   

I'm probably going to watch the whole sorry mess. I usually only follow two or three shows a season, and so rarely does a rock-themed show come along--I can't resist. I got room on my dance card for this one.
And I was never an INXS fan. Cause that's not rock anyways. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

The show's fun when you're veggin'

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 06:09 am:   

INXS would not be on my list of 500 Favorite Bands, but they weren't THAT bad...I mean, come on, in an MTV environment where Kajagoogoo and Bananarama were king, INXS was bearable, at least. Hutchence had some charisma, if not a great voice.

And, no, I don't own any of their records...

At least the band showed some sense last night. Tara was passable, Suzie was actually pretty decent, and Will (although he had the world's most unsingable song "Need You Tonight") mumbled his way through a real botch job. The pretty boy was sent packing. At least those guys have SOME semblance of taste...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

INXS were unlistenable to me. Yeah, they made the right choixe last night....though I was mostly watching Brat Camp. Reminded me of my childhood.

T Andrews
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

What, Dave? Not a Bananarama fan?
My only regret last night was that they couldn't ditch all three of them. Suzie was certainly the best of the three.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:28 am:   

Yeah, I agree with Lucius. For the time, NIN and Skinny Puppy were waay better. Pretty Hate Machine was good. Of course it's a little melodramatic, but I loved it when I was a brooding 15 year old.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

Suzie and Tara won't be far behind.....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Tara would have been booted if Will hadn't been so exceptionally awful. I dunno about Sooz, she really raised her game. She might stick around awhile.

I'm not going to defend INXS. But for me, "unlistenable" was a condemnation I reserved for the worst of the worst (Falco, Taco, Right Said Fred, a-Ha, etc.). I would characterize the Aussies as merely "bland."

Bananarama lost me with "Robert DeNiro's waiting/Speaking Italian..." Huh? I watched them strictly with the sound off after that. Hey, could they be the next reality contest?

Hey, HERE's a reality show I would watch...Rock Star: The Murder Junkies, in which members of G.G. Allin's former backup band try to find a replacement for Public Animal #1 from 15 eager young derelicts. Courtney Love hosts.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:08 am:   

Yeah, that's on the Degecation Channel.

INXS and Bland both qualify in my book as unlistenable.

"Do you like Pina Coladas..."

A shot rings out....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

I meant, Defecation

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Do you guys think that Courtney may have murdered Kurt?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

I'd say it's about 60-40 against.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

In Seattle, there is (or was...I haven't checked recently) a long-running cable access show hosted by a freakish character named Richard Lee called THE COURTNEY LOVE MURDERED KURT COBAIN SHOW. Lee videotaped himself ranting on and on about various conspiracy theories, eventually shifting over from the Love Murder Theory to all kinds of shadowy local doings. He was sort of an active investigative reporter, too, since he would go stake out sites and try to interview people (including former Nirvana band members) on camera.

Still...those who seriously think CL murdered him...have you looked at how many of the men in his family shot themselves? It seems to me like he grew up wholly accepting the (to him inevitable) fact that he was going to kill himself.

Regardless, KURT & COURTNEY is a must-see documentary. And HEAVIER THAN HEAVEN was a really entertaining biography. I happened to drive through Aberdeen not long after reading that bio, and suddenly it all made sense. The land itself looked as if it wanted to commit suicide.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

I read Christopher Sandford's bio. It left the impression that this was a very frail, damaged guy.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

Yet Courtney is a major slag, I know people who knew her in LA pre-cobain after she blew through her trust fund, and they said sje had the moral fiber of a hound sniffing a pork chop. I think it's perfectly feasible she talked him into it. Perfectly in character.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

She's supposed to be putting on major poundage these days.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

Frances Bean'll be a candidate for the Woo-woo room, I bet...

People in LA said she ripped off everybody for dope and cash...I always thought there was something weird about the suicide. I caught that seattle guy's cable acess show...he was a maniac, but Chris Novocelic had his suspicians as well.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

If you're going to blow your brains out, why would you send your buddy to buy a shotgun? Imagine how cumbersome that is...Why wouldn't you buy yourself a nice .38? I always thought that was bizarre. Better still, if I was a junkie, I would just cook up a killer shot. Wouldn't that be much easier?

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   

i can't believe i missed this thread and a chance to throw my useless online words into a statement saying how much i found INXS unlistenable. best thing hutchinson did was die in an amusing way. if only cobain had been as classy ;)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 04:24 am:   

Well, hutchence didn't have Courtney to diminish his classiness, now did he? :-)

Whatever happened to the Able Tasmans, Chris Knox, et al?

ben peek
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

no idea. i barely remember able tasmans--i think they might have been from new zealand? might still be hanging there.

you know, while this might diminish me for future music conversation standing, i always kinda liked love's voice.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

Yeah, sounds like a dog howling for a pork chop. :-)

I love NZ rock, the whole Flying Nun thing--Tall Dwarfs, early Staitjacket Fits, The Mint Chicks, etc etc etc....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:51 am:   

Anyone watch RSINXS, last night? Personally, I think Neal should be booted for botching "Summer of '69," probably the easiest song available, and J.D. should be thrown out for his flagrant effort to kiss up to the band.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:23 am:   

Still like the redhead. Deanna really sucked last night.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:33 am:   

Yeah, you, me and Dave Navarro. He sounded like he wanted to seduce our Heather. I hit the hay before Deanna, but she really lost me Monday night when her and Tara were fighting over freaking Black Sabbath and whining about having to sing "The One I Love" (one of my favorite REM tunes). These guys seem terrified of singing a simple melody that doesn't give them a chance to showboat or grind like a Chippendale. "The One I Love" is a degree of difficulty 1.0. If you can't hit it out of the park, you should pack it in.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

The redhead, Heather, and Marty are the best.

Navarro and inxs liked Mig's performance, which means they are all mentally ill.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:11 am:   

It was nice to see Lurch pick a song that actually involves singing. But he still wasn't great.
I think everyone else sucked, except maybe Jordis.

Tattooed women should rule the world.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

I watched about 2/3 of RSINXS last night and I have to say that, except for Ty and Suzie, everybody was wretched. Heather, Brandon, Daphna, Deanna, all horrid and expulsion-worthy.

Mig must die. I'm going to start calling that twerp Mig the Merciless.

Daphna's rendition of "Rock the Casbah" in a ball gown was so weird, off-putting and wrong-headed, and J.D.'s croaky, inept "We Are the Champions" could be used as defense exhibits supporting a justifiable homicide defense.

But Brooke still looked hot.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:02 am:   

Brooke looks like Malibu Barbie

Yeah, everbody sucked last night except rhe guy who did Lithium

JD was horrid. And Dapha....if those two aren't up....

Heather was awful, but she's been good every time out til now...

Worst of all is Navarro....he should die.

T Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:44 am:   

I gotta say I kinda liked Heather's performance. As soon as she started singing, I thought: 'oh god, they're going to hate this'.
But given what the song is about, I thought her rough vocals gave the lyrics real life. She sounded like the girl in the song.

Navarro liked Daphna's look. Wow.

Marty should win. I called it from day one.

Notice the band didn't give JD his closing note/s?
I'm so glad he sucked.

As much as I loathe mig, he seemed okay, compared to some of them last night. *shudder*

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

You might be right about Marty...

I thought heather was off-pitch now and again, and while off-pitch isn't anathema to rock and roll, like you said...

I think Navarro's got a thing for Mig...

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:05 am:   

I didn't stay up for Marty, but he's generally been good. I can't go with ya, T, on Heather. I've liked her till now, but she was painful to listen to. She was really struggling. My guess is that she was just under the weather.

Daphna did LOOK good, since she stopped dressing like some sort of Versace-does-crustypunk nightmare. But why dress like a debutante to sing the Clash?

Die, Mig, die...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:40 am:   

I actually hate Dapjna worse that Mig. I mean, he's plastic, but she's faux-plastic....

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

I'd rather keep the eye candy around a couple more weeks...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:17 am:   

She's beginning to look nasty to me.

There's a reason I started a new thread. Let carry this down to the new thread

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register