I know it's not happening for three m... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » I know it's not happening for three months, but... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nels
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

I just saw this, and got kinda all lil' kid at Christmas-y...

"It's official. Fightnews.com can confirm that superstars Erik “El Terrible” Morales and Manny Pacquiao will "Bring it On" Saturday, March 19 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena in a 12 round super featherweight bout. "

(From Fightnews.com)

Oh my God...

PS: Happy New Year, Lucius! This should be a good one.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:28 am:   

Yup...should be good! Along with Corrales-Castillo and Golota-Brewster, that makes March a great month (just kidding about Golota-Brewster).

Have you heard anything about Tzyu-Hatton in June? Is it definitely on?

Happy new year!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:56 am:   

Aaaargh! I'm going to be out of the country on March 19! Anybody know any good satellite sports bars in Venice? I'm not even kidding...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:04 am:   

You're always going off to Italy! Why! It;s skanky, although Venice is nice in winter.

What are you....Italian or something and you can't help it? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Lucius, not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but I have had marvelous experiences each of the two times I've been. Besides, where else would an Italian renaissance buff go for vacay, Prague? :-) Besides, I'm getting in touch with my roots...

So, you've been to Venezia, eh? And no good sports bars for expat fight fans?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:39 am:   

I haven't been there for 13 years. I didn't see any then, but I wasn't looking.

Nah, italy's cool. Last time I was there I stayed down in Calabria, a little beach town named Diamante....Pretty great.

As for the fight, tape of TiBo it.

Nels
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

Ah, Venice in the Springtime...

Lucius, to reply to your question about Tszyu and Hatton: the score is this. (Please forgive the length of this)

Warren has offered Tszyu five million dollars to come to Manchester and fight at four a.m., local time. Now, Tszyu has gone ahead and given an interview with The Guardian, saying basically "Yeah let's do it", and all of a sudden Warren starts screaming something about "non-disclosure of purses" and is threatening to scupper the whole thing. Which will mean the Hatton fight will go to purse bids, Ricky will be offered the fight for about half what he gets for fighting Danish lightweights, and he'll have to go to Oz. Which he won't do.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but it's exactly the situation that Warren engineered when Hatton was #1 contender to Vivian Harris, and before that when a fight with Sharmba Mitchell was offing.

I'd love to see Hatton fight Zoo, but I won't believe it until I see a Russian with a pony-tail standing across the ring. The smart money's on a vacant title fight between Hatton and N'dou or someone late this year.

Frankly, the UK scene just makes me wanna watch Mexican (and Far Eastern) lighter weight boxers. Corrales/Castillo cannot help but be a war, can it, and I heard Jorge Arce might move up to flyweight and fight Pongsaklek Wonjonkam or whatever the WBC champ's name is...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Shit, I was really hoping to see this. If Hatton doesn't step up soon, he's gonna go the wat of Calzaghe, in other words, waste his prime. I'd love to see him fight Tzyu...or Gatti or somebody. Even if he lost to Tzyu, it would probably raise his stock.

I'm with you on the lighter weight guys. Welterweight and under is where it's at...

JV
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

I think Tzyu tramples Hatton, frankly. Hatton's an active fighter, in a good shape, but in seeing him fight several times now I just don't think he's the cat's meow.

I also think Morales takes out the P man and Corales takes care of Castillo. Brewster-Golota I don't give a rat's ass about.

JeffV

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   

And I say Bellini over Giorgione by TKO inside of eight. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   

When's the last time you've seen Tzyu fight a guy who pressures him? By my reckoning, the last guy was Vince Phillips, 8, 9 years ago, who knocked him out. Tzyu has made his bones against movers, mostly. I think Tzyu probably beats Hatton, maybe easily, but I think it's going to be a tough fight and Tzyu's going to have to take some punishment, which--at his age-- maybe he's not up to. It's a very interesting fight in that it will measure both men.

I think Corrales-Castillo is going to be a war. Castillo is as tough as corned beef hash. He beat Mayweather flat their first fight. Corrales has the power in this fight, but Castillo has the chin.

I love Erik Morales, but he looked slow against Barrera. I don't know if he can handle Pacqiauo's speed. And I think Juan Manuel Marquez handles all of them.

The best fighter in the world right now is, I think, Juan's brother, Rafael. If he moves up to 122-126, all bets are off.

Nels
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 04:37 am:   

Yeah, I'm with you on Rafa Marquez. I've seen his last three fights now, and he's a stone cold killer. I'd like to see him fight the Thai, Veraphol Sahaprom, though. And a guy named Martin Castillo a weight lower -- I saw him beat a Venezuelan puncher named Munoz, and he moved like oiled silk in there.

As for Pac Man against Morales... Oh I just don't know. But I'm not going to miss it, no matter what. Same with Castillo-Corrales. Is it me, or are things looking up in boxing?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 07:57 am:   

Marquez reminds me of films I've seen of Eder Jofre. Did you see his fights with Tim Austin and Mark Johnson? In my view, Johnson was the P4P best of the 90s and Austin was an unfeated KO artist. Pac and Morales, Castillo and Corrales -- I don't know either. As long as boxing focuses on shit like Klitcsko and Brewster....it's in trouble.

I think Marquez is more likely to move up. I;d like to see those fights you mention, but the money is at 122-126, and...you know how it goes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register