"Hands Up! Who Wants to Die?" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » "Hands Up! Who Wants to Die?" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vince Williams
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   

what an amazing mindblowing piece of work this was, i haven't been able to shake it off my brain for days now...I swear that Leeli was an ex of mine from Maryland...Maceo, what a voice that guy has...is he in any of your other stories/books? he should be if he's not, his narrative blew me away, i got inside that guy's head and i can't get out, lol...he needs to break out of jail for a sequel and come after Ava and Carl, i need to know what happens next here...were these characters based on people you knew in Florida? i knew speedfreaks just like those guys in the bay area, amazing stuff

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   

I've been thinking about doing another Maceo piece. The Further adventures of...I don't think i'd have him break out of jail, though. Wiggle off on a technicality or something. Maybe have him land a job on the boardwalk as a bozo...I don't know. Maceo's a composite of a bunch of people I knew in Fla. The rest, just beach debris. Dealers, small time crooks, losers of every variety. Also thought about doing a piece from the viewpoint of his girlfriend (not Leeli).

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, Vince.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:12 am:   

Lucius, refresh my memory. What Birthday Party song does that come from? Wasn't it something off Junkyard? Prayers on Fire?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

What comes friom? The title? If that's what you mean, this old friend of mine, Dead Joe, a punk rocker from Louisiana, was writing a How 2 book on armed robbery. He called it Hands Up? Who Wants To Die? It was really cool. Had lines in it like, "...the steel -jacketed glory of god richocheting through the victim's skull..." Joe's dead for real now. Using the title of his unpublished, unfinished book is my way of memorializing him.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

Oh, OK, that makes sense then.

The Birthday Party did a song on Junkyard called Dead Joe, and it begins with Nick Cave screaming "Hands up who wants to die!" I guess Nick was acquainted with your late friend, also.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:25 am:   

Well, I don't know when NC recorded that album -- had to be before 1978 wheb Dead Joe and the Stiff made their debut in Shreveport Louisiana.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

It came out in 5/82.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:37 am:   

Well, it does seem coincidental. Dead Joe is an obvious appelation for a punker, and I guess DJ could have been stuck by the song and picked up on the "hands up" thing....But I never heard it. Not into Nick Cave.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

You should check it out. This was The Birthday Party, when Nick Cave was still a hellraising bezerker, before he became a serious novelist and mystic. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

Well, okay.....I'll see if I can pick up a used copy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register