Code 46 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Code 46 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bluejack
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   

I realize I'm very late to the party, but I just read the January F&SF and the review of Code 46, a movie I apparently missed entirely when it was in theaters.

In reading the review, I was strongly reminded of Gattica: although you didn't mention that film, I was wondering if there was any comparison, good, bad, indifferent. I quite enjoyed Gattica: although it was probably as somnolent as you made Code 46 sound, it still had a high degree of internal tension -- at least to my eye. What is your feeling on Gattica, & how does Code 46 match up against it?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   

Gattica was a much better film with a much better script, and much more internal tension. There was nothing to rival the tension of the double life he was leading, of his "supplier" being found out. The acting was generally better. This was essentially a two-character movie, with one acior inept. Gattica had three main characters, plus the policeman, the janitor, et al. No comparison. Code 46 was a souffle that fell flat.

bluejack
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   

Ok; thanks! Helps put things in context. One *could* describe Gattaca as slow, sleepy, overly stylized, in desperate need of a fistfight, etc. etc. etc... but there was obviously something *else* (complex characterization? convincing creepiness? a palpable sense of danger?) to the film that gave it tension, meaning, & purpose.

Sounds like Code 46 didn't have that something, and is not worth bothering with.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 08:29 pm:   

It could have been good, without Robbins, with a less slow build-up. It's almost that classic flaw of fiction -- the story really starts too late. But as it stands, yeah, not worth it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register