A Handbook of American Prayer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » A Handbook of American Prayer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken Viola
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

I received my copy from Amazon yesterday. Wow. Trujillo and this, both within the same week..Lucius- I recall this title being mentioned for years, and I've heard you lost a draft in a computer crash. Has this novel changed?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

Completely, Ken. The first pass was a novella. The main character was something of a hick....there are innumerable differences.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Hmm. So other folks are getting their copies from Amazon? I ordered it, and my order status claims that the book is "not yet available." What's up with that?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

It might be a warehouse probem, JA. The ways of Amazon are myriad.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:57 am:   

Amazon shipped mine just fine -- I'm on Chapter 5 right now, though classes and work cut into my reading time.

But I'm STILL waiting on my Amazon order for TRASH SEX MAGIC

Gregg
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   

I got mine today, whoo hoo! This looks like your longest work in quite some time, Lucius. Does size matter, though? Time to crack the book and find out.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 05:25 pm:   

Enjoy!

Stephenb
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:48 pm:   

I ordered my copy from amazon.ca (Canada's Amazon), it's listed as not yet released and they haven't sent it yet. I don't mind though, I've got plenty to read (including Trujillo) and I'm busy with school, so I'm in no rush to get the book. I guess it will take longer for it to be released in Canada. Any other Canadians order the book from amazon.ca?

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   

I didn't, I scored it from Cold Tonnage, just because Andy Richards picked such a cool name for his business. I'm in Calgary, and just unwrapped Trujillo yesterday as I'd been out of town the last three weeks. Best collection of the year, full stop.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   

D'oh! Forgot this was a 'Handbook' thread...haven't received my copy yet. And, yes, I ordered it from Amazon.ca for reasons of convenience and economy.

I'm completely clueless on the penalties for ordering from a monolith like Amazon - for the publisher or bookseller, or the writer themself - certainly, I'm saving a few bucks. Any comments, please?

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

Everytime you order from Amazon, God kills an author.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 05:54 pm:   

Hi Marc,

If there is balance and justice in the universe, ordering a Lucius Shepard title from Amazon.ca will punch Danielle Steele's ticket.

Trujillo I scored from Cold Tonnage Books courtesy of Andy Richards, and it is not my desire to make jeff bezos any richer.

Bob Kruger mentioned in a thread a while back some of the intricacies of e-publishing vs. Amazon and other heavies, and concluded by saying the world is better served by ordering from the publisher directly. Since you weighed in, and are an author to boot, can you shed light on why the average reader shouldn't choose to save a [perceived] 30 points of his beer money buying from Bezos and his cronies beyond sheer altruism towards the author, his/her agent and publisher?

Cheers, Bruce

Deborah Layne, Wheatland Press
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 06:21 pm:   

Well, you didn't ask *me* but I'll jump in here, since I'm a small press publisher...

If someone buys one of my books from Amazon, I get the wholesale price from Ingram (cover price minus 40%) (I discount at 40% instead of the 55% some publisher do because I'm very, very small and can't afford to go any lower).

If someone orders a book from my website, I get the full amount they pay for it. In my case, I give about a 12% discount off cover price to those who order directly from me.

In most cases (excluding a few straight royalties deals common among small presses) the authors have already been paid long before any of this happens. So, it makes no diff to the authors -- their royalites are a percentage of cover price, not what the publisher managed to actually collect.

So, I like it better when people order from me. On the other hand, there is value to having the books listed on Amazon since some people do prefer it.

On the other other hand, if I'm only going to collect the wholesale price, I'd rather people buy from the independent booksellers (online or in person) like Ziesing, Clarkesworld, Chris Drumm, Borderlands, et al. If you go to Night Shade's links section they have a good list of independent bookstores there.

My two cents' worth.

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:02 pm:   

Thanks, Deborah! That clears up a lot.

I guess the only other question I'd have is whether Amazom sales, for example, bring more business in by sheer volume - given a naive general perspective? 12 points vs. 55, or 40 in your case, is staggering.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

You know, Bruce, that's the $60K question. I think of Amazon sales as something that I'm glad to have, but don't ever count on. And the Amazon listing (like it or not) seems to convey a kind of legitimacy to my enterprise. When I talk to people outside the biz about my books, often the first question is, Are they listed on Amazon?

Given all the ways you can get an Amazon listing, it's weird that it has that aspect, but there you go.

To answer you question, my Amazon numbers are far lower than my Convention, direct and bookstore numbers.

One thing I will say, though, nowadays, as a reader, I try to buy from Amazon (or Borders or B&N) if it's the *only* place I can find something. I buy direct or through independents as often as possible.

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   

Thanks again, Deborah. I'd rather have Wheatland, Nightshade, Subterranean, PS Publishing, Small Beer, Tachyon, Subterranean, etc. in healthy straits.

Cheers, looking forward to Polyphony 4, Weapons..., et al.

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   

Beg pardon. Good health to Golden Gryphon of course.

...and the Ziesings as well.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   

Handbook and Viator both arrived today. Should be good.:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:51 am:   

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA475892.html?pubdate=11%2F1%2F2004&disp lay=current

Starred review of Prayer in PW

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 07:30 am:   

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~28~2514151,00.html

denver post review

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:24 am:   

Bruce, I'm glad smart people answered your question, because I was just making a joke.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 03:11 pm:   

Hi Marc,

No worries. It was good to have the Amazon angle clarified...

Bob
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 09:13 pm:   

Kee-rist, Lucius! Apparently you're either Satan, or at least a tool of the Dark One, eh?
Check it out: Bad Customer Review. If I hadn't already written a review for Handbook for Strange Horizons, I'd write one for Amazon just to even out that star rating. One star, ouch. I hope that doesn't cost you sales....

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   

Actually, bob, neither one of the reviews up on Amazon speaks to the book, but to each his own. :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:01 am:   

It sounds like a fake to me but in any case I contacted amazon about the implied threat in the first post:

"You cannot continue to slander our faith so freely as this for much longer, this I promise you."

Let's see if they do anything about it. :-)

T Andrews
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:33 am:   

I had been undecided as to whether or not I was going to order that book, and now, BASED on that review, I can no longer resist....
:-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:19 am:   

Thanks, T, Ellen....

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:43 am:   

Hi Lucius,

'Elijah Morningstar' appears to be a neighbor of yours. He does come across as a born-again fruit bat but is likely some loser hiding from the world in his mother's basement. I thought 'Handbook' was a great read and well worth the wait. Loved 'Viator' and 'Trujillo' as well. Keep up the fine work!

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, I noticed that. It may come as a result of a piece done on me in the local shopping rag. Whatever. No biggie.

AnnaT
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:06 pm:   

"Elijah" will probably make you sales, Lucius. It reads like something from the Landover Baptist Church.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

You might be interested in reading Frank Rich's column today, "The Campaign against Christmas"
http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/17/features/rich18.html

btw, intriguing interview of you in bookslut.
http://www.bookslut.com/features/2004_12_003799.php

I've linked it on my site in Irresistibles, with this irresistible comment of yours:
"Iím a connoisseur of desolation."

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   

Thanks, Anna. I'll check out the links.

Bob
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:52 am:   

I wonder about something like this actually generating sales. Is the effect of a negative review quantitative?
I mean, I read the book, and I reviewed it as one of the better stories I'd read all year. I expect that my review will sell a couple of copies for Lucius, who deserves the traffic. Could it be that I would have done more good for the readers and the book if I'd panned the thing? Odd.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:30 pm:   

i reckon negative and positive work on the same level, at times. you can be turned off by a positive review if it's positive in ways that don't appeal--if someone says a book will teach me the importance of god, for example, and it's a fantastic thing, i'm not likely to find that appealing to be on a personal level. someone gives a negative review, saying that a different book is nothing but slanderous offensive trash against good christians and when jesus comes back everyone will be kneeing and burning before him... well, i may not buy it, but i'll have a look at it.

so i figure, same end result, same audience. could be wrong, though.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:00 pm:   

Yeah, but all in all, I'd rather have positive. :-)

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   

I didn't think a new-age fundaligionist like 'Elijah Morningstar' has any merit whatsover though the First Amendment guarantees his right to his soapbox. I wonder if that guy appreciates the irony of his choice in 'Morningstar' as an alias...probably not.

On a positive note, I've gotta say I loved the Harry Potter backlash letter from those fine young ladies in that one rebuttal to the review by Lucius. I would've liked to have seen their reaction to an '...Azkaban' review but, fortunately, Viator, Trujillo et al took precendence. Maybe '...Goblet of Fire' will pique Lucius's interest?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   

I;m certain it will, Bruce.. But I'm really waiting for that inevitable film when Harry's nads drop and he bags Hermione....Maybe Goblet of Fire will be it.

Bob
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:20 pm:   

Erm, that Landover church, that's a spoof, right? I mean...it'd have to be.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:35 pm:   

That was my feeling.

T Andrews
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:13 am:   

Bruce Chrumka: Morningstar! Of course! What beautiful irony...that is hilarious.

Cheers
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

As it turns out, 'Elijah Morningstar's' diatribe has been punted from Amazon's reviews of 'Handbook'...probably because concerned citizens like Ms. Datlow dislike threats made anonymous trolls. Way to go, Ellen!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   

Yea, Ellen....

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:30 pm:   

Super!
(curtseying proudly).

Matthew
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   

Speaking of Elijah Morningstar, there's a character in The High Window called Elisha Morningstar.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:52 pm:   

Just so long as it's no one from the Secret Window... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register