The Fundamental Things Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » The Fundamental Things « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Derek Foster
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 02:23 am:   

Hello!

A long time ago, I read a Lucius Shepard short story titled "The Fundamental Things" in Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine (the July, 1985 edition, according to the website). I enjoyed the story very much, and was recently describing the story to a friend of mine, and interested him enough that he wanted to read it. (Mr. Shepard might be interested to know that the context in which the story got mentioned was a conversation regarding H.P. Lovecraft, Lord Dunsany, Ambrose Bierce, and R. L. Chambers, and the literary stylings thereof...)

Unfortunately, by now my copy of the magazine has long since disappeared. So, I'm wondering, has this short story been reprinted in any short story anthologies, or do I need to track down another copy of the magazine?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Derek

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 05:52 am:   

Derek, that story has not been reprinted. It was my most unpopular stories--people challenged me to write a funny story and, when I did, said, Don't do it again. I always kind of liked it, but what do I know. Anyway, I;m glad to find that someone else did. All I can suggest is that you write Asimov's -- they keep back issues and might have one.

Derek Foster
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 12:52 am:   

Well, personally, I thought the story was quite clever, and so did the person who recommended it to me in the first place. Actually, at the time, I was inclined to read it out loud to a group of friends of mine that meets periodically to do that sort of thing, but unfortunately the length of the story made that prohibitive. (We have a pretty firm upper limit of twenty pages.) Still, other than the length, I thought the story was worthy of being read aloud, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of short stories I read.

Anyway, I'll take a look for old Asimov issues. Thanks for the reply!

Derek

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register