Coaches preseason poll Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Coaches preseason poll « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Forrest
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   

Sorry to start a new thread on you, Lucius, but this one is, I'm afraid, going to go on for a while once everyone weighs in. The 2004 Coaches top 25 preseason poll has just been released and it is:

1. USC (49)
2. Oklahoma (12)
3. LSU (5)
4. Georgia
5. Miami
6. Florida State
7. Michigan
8. Texas
9. Ohio State
10. Florida
11. West Virginia
12. Iowa
13. Kansas State
14. Tennessee
15. California
16. Clemson
17. Missouri
18. Auburn
19. Virginia
20. Maryland
21. Utah
22. Wisconsin
T23. Minnesota
T23. Purdue
25. Oregon

So my first question: How much crack did Florida alumni give to the coaches association before they smoked it all while coming up with Florida's ranking?

Second question: Is Clemson really that good?

Third question: Is Auburn really that bad?

Fourth question: Is Maryland really that good?

First comment: Note the almost triple tie at the bottom of the list. The Big Ten is going to be mighty interesting this year!

Second comment: I think it's ridiculous that this preseason ranking will count for a full third of the equation going into the season.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   

Preseason ranking counts for one-third? That is bullstuff! A team scores that big, without even playing one down, for the way it looks in two-a-days? Complete and utter nonsense.

Big surprises for me: WVU at #11...I know they came on at the end of the year last year, but to be knocking at the Top Ten? Cal at 15? Utah at 21?

I found some interesting matter at the bottom of the poll in the "also receiving votes" category. UConn, just three years into its 1-A football program, actually got a handful of votes for the top 25! In fact, they got almost as many as BC...Anyone else surprised by this relatively quick progress?

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   

Uh, yeah. A few observations...

Ohio State and Florida should be replaced by Auburn and West Virginia.

Maryland? I think not.

Utah? Nope.

Clemson? More crack.

But, I can't argue with the top 5.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

Talentwise, I think Florida may be in the top ten. But can they overcome Zookball? Doubtful.. Clemson, Maryland--I'd say more than likely one of em won't be there, the other will. Auburn'll drop a few games. First comment, you said it. Second comment, ditto.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   

Dave, we crossed.

As for UConn getting votes to be in the top 25...some of the coaches musta been thinking it was b-ball, because that's just nuts. No, they aren't coming on.

And yeah, WVU has been steadily building into a top 10 team. They nearly beat Miami last year, they beat VT, they crushed Pitt, and they lost almost nobody. And they have an experienced QB, good RB, solid D and a good coach. Now, I'm not happy about any of this, but they should easily win the BE this year.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

Deborah,

There is no way Auburn emds up in the top ten. Top twenty, maybe. Tuberville's always good for a couple of meaningless earlt season losses.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Yeah, you got a point there...you can always count on Tuberville to keep them from performing like the scary talented team they are.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:16 pm:   

Until the end of the year and theyve learned to play on their own...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   

Deborah: I will take your word that somebody's opinion of UConn is wildly inflated. But eventually, UConn will ripen into a respectable I-A program, if for no other reason than they're the only game in town for kids in CT/RI. When you stop and think about it, h.s. and prep players in New England and the tri-state area have got almost nowhere to go if they want to play close to home. BC, Rutgers and where else? I think geography still counts for something in college football, and UConn should be able to recruit, especially if they can beef up their schedule a little.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:48 am:   

I'm guardedly optimistic about Uconn. They have what looks to be an awesome QB. I think they might surprise people this season, win a couple of games their not supposed to win, etc.

I think Utah might be justified a little lower than 21, but definitely in the top 25. They've had a steadily growing program that can hold its own against major teams. Being a BYU alumni, I really hate to admit that . . .

I still think NC State has the goods this year to do some damage. They were high up in the "other receiving votes" column, but weren't able to crack the top 25. Speaking of crack, someone voted for BYU. I think Gary Crowton is trying to keep his job - or maybe all the Mountain West coaches voted for him so that he would keep his job, thus insuring that the Cougars will remain soft.

WVU looks scary good this year. I can't really decide about Cal. They have the talent, but can they deliver? Then again, I can say the same about my Badgers . . .

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Anyone notice who's not there? Unranked?

Nebraska....

(And of course, Notre Dame.)

Actually, Forrest, I think you're whacko about NC State, a case of the Riverses, which I thoroughly understand, believing his spirit still guides the team...etc. But I think Utah may be a shade undervalued. They have the coaching and the experience to ease into the top twenty this year. As for WVU, unless someone in the Big East rises up and does some smiting, they''ll be undefeated in conference play and could wind up getting their ass handed them by somebody really good in a BCS game. They have talent, but they're not deep, and a good deep team will wear them down and kick their ass.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:20 am:   

The thing I keep reading about NC State (and this will be oh-so-persuasive for Lucius) is "Remember, Tennessee won the NC the year *after* Peyton Manning graduated..." I reckon they believe in that spirit thing.

I'm not sure there's a good smiter in the Big East this year...it won't be Pitt, that's for sure. Not only are they, er, rebuilding, but they have fallen apart against WVU the last three years, even with the arguably better team. The scheduling certainly helps WVU -- they get BC and Syracuse at home, Pitt and UConn on the road. And their only tough non-con opponent is Maryland. Which means, Lucius, you're probably right -- they won't know what hit 'em in their bowl game.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:38 am:   

Yup. I remember when Florida played WVU in the Orange Bowl about ten years back, when WVU was number one or two in the nation, and beat the bejesus, out of 'em, 40-something to nothing, they asked in the locker room for game impressions and one guy responded, "We were surprised how small and weak they were." They could be 10 and one easy and wind up playing some monster.

Maybe NC State can "wake the ehoes," but with a freshman or a career no-show at QB -- Tennessee had a quality guy and a helluve D. I don't beleive Tennessee does.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

Oops! That last should read, I don't believe NC STATE does.

Forrrest
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   

Speaking of TN, what do you make of them this year, Lucius? I haven't watched them closely enough to know. Are they justified at #14?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   

Well, aside from the bad karma attaching to Fullmer, 14 seems a tad high. They have a tough early season, are inexperienced at QB and on D, and could wind up with three early season losses. Unless Fulmer pulls off a helluva coaching job, I say they're looking at 7-4, i.e,. 14 is high.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:28 am:   

I agree...Nebraska falling all the way off the charts is shocking. Has any program fallen this far this fast? And only, what, three years removed from a Heisman winner?

Deborah
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:52 am:   

Here's another voice heard from...albeit not one I usually give much credence...Craig James gives his top five and then "20 teams to watch" without ranking the next 20. I found it interesting only because he left out some of the Coaches poll top 25 (Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland) and added Texas Tech, Memphis and Nebraska. Also, he has Michigan at #5 but his top four are nearly the same as the Coaches Poll.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=cj-preseason25&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Anyway, I just thought I'd toss it in.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:10 am:   

I like Memphis. Good call. Can't say I like Nebraska....:-)

Forrest
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   

Except that Nebraska has been highly over-rated since their true power days back in the '80s. Curious to see what happens with their "new" passing style offense. Hopefully it will suck. I'd hate to see them become succesful almost as much as I hate ND.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   

Yeah, I second that emotion. Hate hate hate.
We all remember your hate, the etiolated hand, etc.... :-)

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:16 am:   

Big Ten Rivalries

Oops. Meant to post it here (not on NFL preseason thread). Still . . . ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL??????

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

Oops, I posted on the wrong one, too. My bad.

Baby Vick suspended one year from Va. Tech.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:54 am:   

Boo yeah! Baby Vick lucky he's not getting executed. I mean, we're talking about Virgina.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:01 am:   

Hey, now there's a recruiting gambit that some of the urban universities can use..."Listen, you want to go to some hick school out in the woods where it'll be a big effing deal if you get popped for dope, or do you want to be here, in the big city?"

:-)

Yeah, I know Baby Vick had other...situations, but still...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:11 am:   

Yeah, I can see the commercial-- Do you want this (shot of player at poolside surrounderd by babes) or this (shot of lyhching), I mean, sounds like a Fullmer tactic.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

Except that Knoxville doesn't realy qualify as urban, does it? Don't you need more than a half-dozen major intersections, a few big buildings (other than silos), that kind of thing?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:29 am:   

Compared to Blacksburg, its urban....But I see your point. :-)

Josh Rountree
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Come play your college ball at Texas! You may not beat OU, but you'll be able to retire at age 27 to travel the world and smoke pot! Oh, and we have great mexican food too.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:08 am:   

I think it would probably be a bigger beef for boinking the kiddies in a big city full of newspaper reporters than in Blacksburg, home of kissin' cousins and a county jug with a Hokies Eight Counts or Less express check-in...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:34 am:   

Don;t forget, Josh, you get to be personal budds with Lenny Kravitz...oops! That could be a dealbreaker.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

Lucius, for the price of a pair of earplugs, that's one bountiful crop of romantic leftovers...

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:44 am:   

Dave, 'cept, you know, not for a person of color. I see Marcus Vick as a CFler.

Say, whatever happened to Marcus Clarett.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:57 pm:   

That's Maurice, Honky, and now that you mention it, I haven't read a thing about him all summer...

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:48 pm:   

Maybe he went on tour with Lenny Kravitz and Ricky Williams. I hear he shakes a mean tambourine.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

You mean Mo'rice, don;t you, ofay?
Hmmmph!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:19 pm:   

Some people call him Maurice. Some people call him the Gangster of Love...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   

Whatever they call him, he''s history...

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   

Yeah, but is he a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker . . . like Ricky?

Oh, how I long for the sound of smacking pads and cracking helmets.

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   

Yeah, and the sound of marching bands and referree's whistles and coaches barking out instructions and cops reading the suspect his rights and oops, strike that last one.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:06 am:   

No, Deborah, keep that last one...there might be some Eagles fans on the board...:-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:07 am:   

Philly, that is, not BC...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

Forrest, I think we can assune that Mo'rice's lips have been sullied by the killer weed...

Deborah, to your litany, let me add, the sound of coaches snitching to the NCAA, Pop Warner League parents throwng fits on the sidelines, and the great whining that will arise from Free Shoes University after the Canes game.... :-)

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:05 am:   

Ah, yes, the loud chants of "Use your GUN!" as a boisterous fan is hauled away . . .

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

.....the music of synchronized vomiting from the upper deck of Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill...

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:26 am:   

Now *this* is one of the more meaningful preseason analyses I've seen. Great stuff:

http://collegefootballnews.com/2004/Columnists/CharlesRogersTheorem.htm

Though I think he's a bit off the mark regarding WVU and Virginia (his arguments here are weak), I tend to agree with his other assesments. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:52 am:   

Yeah, I agree, that;s pretty good. I tend to agree even about VA and WVU, but think that WVU's scedule will allow them to have a great year and then, as I said before, have their ass handed them in a bowl...

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   

We need more pre-season reality checks like this. I hadn't thought of the springboard thing that closely before, but he makes some really good arguments. In terms of long-term trends, bowl games mean nothing.

Man, all the stars are aligned for the Badgers to have a great year. I had a dream last night that I was in the locker-room at halftime giving them a pep-talk just before they went out to slaughter OSU. Of course, I charged Barry a hefty per-diem and consultation fee, but I was a lot more motivating than him.

Anyone seen my crack pipe laying around?

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:14 pm:   

No. :-)

Good stuff, like I said. Im especially pleased someone saw through Ohio State.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:14 am:   

Yeah, I don't get it. Then again, the MI/OSU game should be interesting. Here's to hoping OSU wins, much as I malign them. That way, the Badger's Big Ten Crown will be firmly affixed.

I'm really glad the guy saw through Purdue as well.

Paul Bunyan, I'm telling you . . .

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:16 am:   

Forrest, you;re delusional, but--as my Irish grandfather was wont to say--you;re a lovely man for all that. You almost make me wish I was a badger fan....

Josh Rountree
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:20 am:   

Mack Brown was on TV last night, talking up the team. He says they're hungry, focused, tough, yadda yadda.

Every year I find myself wanting to buy in to this bullshit. He does a great job of selling the team, just not delivering. I have to keep telling myself: don't get excited, don't believe the hype.

If Texas is unbeaten going into Novemeber, then I'll start placing a value on what he has to say.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:36 am:   

While the article is a wonderful breath of fresh air, the springboard theory isn't completely whack, it just needs to be applied intelligently: a strong second half of the season coupled with lots of returning starters and the springboard should be given plenty of credence. This doesn't go against the article, but is a completely ignored corollary.

And I'm waaaay too nervous about the health of our starting backfield. If Stocco or AD go down, it's over. Wafer thin doesn't even begin to describe it. Not to mention Stocco's thrown all of 17 passes in his career. I'll take the reports at face value that the kid became a real leader this spring--wish I could've seen the spring game to judge for myself--and just keep my fingers crossed. If those two stay healthy, and the rest of the team doesn't get hit with an inordinant number of injuries, the Badgers are going to be tough. That DL could be the best we've had, though there's a couple of "ifs" in there, and not a lot of depth.

NINE returning starters for FL?!?!? OUCH! Leak or no Leak, it's going to be an up-and-down year for dem Gators

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

Nine returning starters is a little misleading; because of the way they rotate the defense, a lot of the new starters had significant playing time--but the Gators are young and Zook is their leader.

Josh, you and John Piciacio are singing a duet. Mack Brown must be a real trip.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:29 am:   

I asked this before--Does anybody know where Maurice Clarett is or what he's doing? That story just vanished. You hear more about Mike Williams these days. Is he going to Canada? What?

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:06 am:   

Last Sunday a columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer ran a humor piece suggesting ways Maurice can spend his lonely Sundays. Included suggestions like coaching pee-wee league, playing golf, working at IHOP. The intro to the column just said, "with Clarett ineligible for the NFL and apparently unwilling to consider Canada..."

Who knows. He probably should've gone to Grambling, but too late now.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:30 am:   

I just wondered if he tried to go back to OSU. Well, it is certainly weird...Grambling would have good. I suspect he's fucked.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

Bizarre. The guy wins a NC as a freshman. He could have been the second coming of Archie Griffin, or better. And now...what?

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:36 am:   

So SI has their top 25 out today. Am I suffering homerism, or do they always rank Michigan 4-5 spots lower than every other poll? I seem to remember this from when I was in college. This year most of the other polls and preview have MI at 6 or 7; SI says 12.

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

I mean, obviously I'm suffering from homerism. But (adopt wingnut voice) why does SI hate Michigan?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

Why not? SI's rankings are usually a joke. Remember when they picked AZ for the NC, and AZ went out and lost six games? I wouldn;t be overly concerned. They usually under rank the Canes and over rank the Seminoles, The coach's poll is where it counts.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   

Alex, why not? :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   

Oh, btw, WE'RE #29!!!! It's a little hard to chant, but we'll manage it. Look out, top 25, here come the Eagles...:-)

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:44 am:   

I'd have to completely agree with Lucius: SI is great for features, although they're mostly well-written fluff pieces, butb they've always been useless as prognosticators. FB, Hoops, whatever. If SI picks 'em, there's almost no chance it'll happen.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:56 am:   

To put it succinctly, they suck :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:43 am:   

As an aside, The Princeton Review rates the Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison the #3 US party school. So, even if the Badgers lose...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:59 am:   

Very nIce!! Who's no 1?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:40 am:   

SUNY Albany.

"Other top 10 party schools were Washington and Lee University, Lexington,
Va.; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; West Virginia University, Morgantown;
Ohio University, Athens; Florida State University, Tallahassee; University of
Texas-Austin; University of Georgia, Athens; University of Colorado; University
of Mississippi"

Apparently, Brigham Young was voted soberest.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:38 am:   

I would like everyone to notice the absence of that great institution of higher learning, The Universtity of Miami. Of course, they may be inelgible from competition...professional.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

I think that the major influx of glitterati into South Beach has priced the party scene beyond the reach of the little Himicanes and Hurricanes. They can't get into their own clubs. :-) Yeah, they used to use the "professional" line at BC, too, which plummeted from the top ten when they raised the drinking age in 1979, effectively disqualifying (at least officially, anyway) half the student population.

Note that UGA is the only school to pull the two-fer of NCAA probation and top-ten party status in the same year, while Colorado's regents are no doubt bursting with pride at a top ten finish coming hot on the heels of their own headline-grabbing sexual-assault scandal. Go Buffs!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:57 am:   

I don't understand the absence of Florida either....THey always made the top ten and nothing's changed in Gainesville.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   

It's hard to get sales figures from still operators. :-) But then, how did WVU make it?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

Them revenoors must cleaned up the place. Naw, that doesn't get it. Weird.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:10 am:   

Maybe the FLoridians done run off the pasty white Princeton prigs for the sake of decency. Or maybe all the pimps and drugdealers left town (even if they never graduate, those football players run out of eligibility eventually.) :-)

Oops, did I just type that? :-)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:24 am:   

I think it;s the former, Minz....

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:57 am:   

Hey Dave, I was actually attending UW during the transition to the 21-year-old drinking age, and there really was a sudden dropoff in sheer, audacious drunken stupidity. Still an amazing party town, but not nearly as many wantonly public acts of stupid drunkeness (the community's poorer for it). You could actually sleep on a Thursday night by my junior year because the raucous parties around campus were driven off the streets (okay, it was my roommates telling me it was nice to be able to get some sleep on a Thursday--I'd rarely see my bed Th-Su).

The transition was strange. My first year, people were still throwing keggers in their dorm rooms, my second year it seemed like I was the only one still doing it . . . and the number of serious stoners on the floor quintupled in one year. (So much easier to smuggle in a dime bag v. a keg.)

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

Did anyone the see the piece about Lawrence Phillips going into a pawn shop and hocking his NC ring for 20 bucks? The guy sold it on ebay for 17OO. And so the saga ends...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:57 am:   

Math and business admin. were not popular courses in Lincoln, I guess.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:16 am:   

"nothing's changed in Gainesville."

I think you've spotted the problem right here, Lucius . . .

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Hmmm...I must be slow. Are you saying they haven;t kept up with the advancing tide of partydom?

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

I think he's saying that it's the same guys hanging around the kegs 20 years later, hitting on the college girls.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:37 am:   

I think the heat down there has dulled their partying skills. Their becoming jaded. Note that Wisconsin is always near the top of the list - year in, year out. It has to do with the climate up here. It keeps us crisp.

Note the exception: University of Mississippi. That's because they're in a perpetual state of low-level drunken-ness because of the heat and humidity. Or maybe just because there's nothing better to do in Mississippi than get ripped.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:42 am:   

But we;re accustomed to the heat, Forrest. Could be, howsomever, that the constant infusion of pasty-skinned northerners has brought down the average. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

ITEM: A judge just handed down a decision stating that the nasty, bitter ol' Big East couldn't fine my beloved BC Eagles $5 million and force them to stick around another 15 months. Better still, the judge was a partner in the law firm I used to work in!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

You're gonna have an unhappy panther on that judges ass!

Forrest
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:27 am:   

Yeah, I know, you get our senior citizens down there. Any chance you could send up some top FL recruits in exchange? Even I understand the limitations of not being able to recruit out of FL.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

Lucius, I just flipped him the secret Goodwin, Procter, LLP handshake and that decision was a done deal...:-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:39 am:   

Yeah, I can send you a passle (that's just slightly more than a gross) of Florida Crackers, hard drinkers, stupid as lizards. Just pop a cheesehead on 'em, hand 'em a brewski, and they'll pass.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:42 am:   

"unhappy panther"?

No, no, no. We are so over this whole ACC raid thing. I mean, the Big East is the MAC of the future.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:51 am:   

Oh, okay,,,,You're over it. You must be smoking those furballs.

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:40 pm:   

Only one week, guys. One week!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   

There is just one game next week, right?

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   

Two -- count 'em two -- games next Saturday. USC vs. VT and Indiana St vs. Miami (OH). Okay, maybe that is only one game...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:06 am:   

I don't think I can watch Indiana State. One game..

ave G.
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:16 pm:   

I have a feeling VT/USC might not really be a "game" either. The news from Blacksburg ain't encouraging.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:21 pm:   

What's not to be encouraged about? They're going to tank in August/September this year instead of November...I find that quite encouraging...one less team between NCState and the ACC's BCS bid.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:25 pm:   

Ave? You changed your name?

True, but there will be a degree of competency displayed that will not be displayed by ISU.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:30 pm:   

From what?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:34 pm:   

From Dave G, perplexed panther...

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:37 pm:   

Oh, has Dave recognized that NC State will begin its long dominance of the ACC this year? Smart guy.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:46 pm:   

I didn;t see that post.. You and Forrest have the same affliction. They have a good O line, a running back, no D, no tested QB. Somehow I doubt they;ll move past FSU and MIAMI.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:06 pm:   

Perhaps it is an affliction, or perhaps we need to smoke more ibis feathers and less of whatever that stuff was I picked up in Madison...

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:24 pm:   

Yep! More ibis feathers, that;ll do 'er. I don;t know what you smoked in Wisconsin...maybe it cheese patties... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Yes, from now on, I wish to be referred to only as "Box G." :-) Sorry, it's my Mac with the baby-sized keyboard.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Espn.com reports that a Colorado grand jury has returned an indictment in the CU recruitment scandal or, as I like to call it, "Whores for Scores." It doesn't mention exactly who is named in the indictment. Whoever it is, they couldn't have picked a nicer bunch of guys. I hope this shames the school even further for the whitewashing they did.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:11 am:   

They can start with A and work they way down after they finish with Colorado....Almost every school is guilty of something similar...with the exceotion of BC. of course... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:29 am:   

I wonder if the NCAA's new rules on "recruiting perks" cover prostitutes.

Even if such things did go on at BC, you can rest assured the Jesuits would have cleaned house once the scandal hit the papers. Tom O'Brien would have been on the next flight out of Boston before he could pack his Seattle Bowl memoribilia. Hell hath no fury like a Jezzie shamed. CU did everything but give Barnett a big wet kiss on the lips.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

Yeah, I forgot. Jesuits like boys. :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:30 am:   

And they HATE bad publicity...:-)

Forrest
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:56 am:   

Yes, remember that Wisconsin's big sin was getting discounts on shoes. Heaven forbid! Spirit of Saint Imelda Marcos, defend us!

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:25 pm:   

From a discount retailer! Yes, they were larger than advertised discounts, but if the WIAA--Wisconsin's HS version of the NCAA--took the same hard ass approach the NCAA did, virtually none of the area HS athletes would be allowed to play, because Black Earth Shoes offered larger discounts to any HS or college athlete who walked into the door (smart business practice, in my book, but a strict no-no from the clowns in the NCAA)

Oops, am I still whining about water under the bridge?

Deborah
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:30 pm:   

Okay, I know I shouldn't laugh at this, but I was reading an article about some Univ of South Florida (Pitt's first opponent this year) players getting popped for possession of pot and I ran across this delightful bit of arithmetic...from Coach Jim Leavitt,

"We had two guys that got caught with pot," he said. "Two are with us and one is no longer with us. I am very strong with what I say and our actions speak for themselves. Smoking pot, we're pretty serious about it here. Again, one person is not with us."

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:08 pm:   

One guy just held the pipe.

Watch out, Pitt. They;re high on reefer and they don't care!!!!

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

"Smoking pot, we're pretty serious about it here."

The man is a born recruiter!!! :-)

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

Actually, Minz, it's The Shoe Box in Black Earth. And I still buy shoes there. It's worth the 1/2 hour drive just to spite the NCAA.

"Again, one person is not with us," but he should be returning with a dime bag any moment. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:46 am:   

A dime bag for the whole team? There are growing boys, Forrest. They require at least an oz. :-)

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:58 pm:   

Nah, it's just for him to share with coach. You know, a little one on one time.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:16 pm:   

Oh, Okay....

Four more days...

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:50 pm:   

And we're gonna take Michigan. And then Iowa. And then Minnesota. We're gonna win over Illinois, and then on to the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania. YEEEEEHAAAAA!

(Just channeling a little Dean, but in a good way.)

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:48 pm:   

Same thing happen to you, fella, happen to Dean.... :-)

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   

So you're saying we should fear Iowa?

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

I will give you this: With Wisconsin's offense and Iowa's defense, it will be interesting. I think, though, that the Badger's defensive line will make the difference, shutting down Iowa's so-so running game just enough for us to squeak by with a win behind our outstanding offensive line and running back corps.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:05 pm:   

Do you guys play Michigan? I don't think you do. How come?

In any case, I don't know from Iowa--have to see 'em. I just hope someone can knock off Southern Cal, because they play in a creampuff conference and ain't nobody there gonna do it.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

Current BT scheduling involves missing two teams every year. No UM and no Indiana for the Badgers this year.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

...or last year...

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   

Nope, no Michigan. I'm not sad about that.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   

But you gotta play 'em sometime. It sorta sucks you don't have to play 'em two years in a row. Doesn't it? I think it does.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:15 am:   

You knew it was coming, but now it's official -- Mike Williams is ineligible. Though I shed no tears for SC (they have no receivers), you gotta feel bad for Williams and you gotta just shake your head about the NCAA's action...

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:33 am:   

I wish we would have MI on the sked this year (was glad not to have them last year).

As for Williams, I don't really feel bad for the kid. Don't get me wrong, the NCAA is full o' crap (as always), but the kid didn't have to follow our favorite -uckeye's lead. I certainly don't wish him ill, and I suspect he'll be catching passes in the NFL next year, but it was by his own choice.

Perhaps I've become callous since I usually see the NCAA screwing over a bunch of kids enmasse, rather than individually. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

Well, are you gonna play 'em next year?

The kid was following Clarett; he thought a precedent had been established and listened to advisors. I don't think he should be punished.

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:27 am:   

We should be playing MI for at least the next four years, if my understanding is correct.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish Williams any ill, but he and his advisors had to know the NFL & NCAA were going to contest it--every sports fan in the country knew it. They knowingly rolled the dice. And, he _will_ be catching passes in the NFL next year--for less money as a result of all this, but you roll the dice, you can crap out.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:47 am:   

So what does this do to our noble Badgers Forrest and Minz?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1868706&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Wisconsin running back Dwayne Smith will not play for the Badgers again because of a recently discovered heart disoder.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:09 am:   

Okay, Minz, but I feel a miscalculation on the part of nineteen-year-old is trumped by the actions of Grunpy old men...

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:11 am:   

Come on now, Lucius, the NCAA has to defend the sanctity of amateur athletics in our colleges and universities. Our student-athletes deserve no less! :-)

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:03 am:   

I feel bad for Williams. But, whomever's advising him should have known to wait for a few days to see if the NFL's appeal would get listened to, which of course it did. Had they waited, he may have decided to stay put and there would be no issue.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:10 am:   

No doubt, JK, but you know who was advising him was an agent, greed personified.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:20 am:   

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything different. I was surprised more kids didn't try to come out....

Minz
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

Again, if I had any doubt this kid would be catching NFL passes in the relatively near future, I'd feel bad about it. As it is, he listened to some money grubbers, and as a result will grub less money. cie la vie (and screw the NCAA!)

Deborah
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:36 am:   

A couple of things...

L, you remember Iowa? The Gator-slayers?

RE: Williams. It didn't help that he left school before the end of the semester. The NCAA claims they looked at both the money issue and the Progress Twoard a Degree requirement and he failed on both. Not that I believe for a minute they were going to let him back in, clearly they were sending a message (brain-dead though they are).

Back to wringing my hands over WorldCon preparations.

Game tomorrow. Wheee...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

I remember Iowa -- they lost a few players but they;re tough....

Double whee

Forrrest
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:48 pm:   

Yeah, I just read about Dwayne Smith. Too bad, he had a great career ahead of him. It's of no use to him dead, though, so better that he lead a full life than literally kill himself on the field.

That makes Booker Stanley the backup, which is good. And I've heard really good things about the potential of Chris Pressley and Jamil Walker. If AD injures, we may get to see just how much potential they have. Given our awsome offensive line, this should give the young guys an opportunity to shine.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 08:02 pm:   

I just watched part of San Diego-Seattle. Playing against the Seattle first unit D, Phillp Rivers led the second unit San Diego O on a 76 yard drive. He was three for four for 72 yards and the miss was muffed in the end zone. He is going to be ALL RIGHT!

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Argh. I wish the pack would have snagged him. Oh well.

On the lighter side, only about 8 HOURS until the season starts!!!!!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:21 am:   

Yee Haa!

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:09 am:   

That's 8 hours Central time, right? How many on Pacific time?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:16 am:   

Forrest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:13 am:   

Starts in five and a half hours, no matter where you are.

Forrest

PS: We've almost made it there!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register