Paul Molitor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Paul Molitor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

In my usual subtle and nuanced manner, I'm usurping Lucius space to offer up props to a childhood hero who was just inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame: Paul Molitor.

I was able to trick my wife into going to Cooperstown with me this past weekend to witness his induction into the hall (it was hidden within a long weekend camping trip in the Adirondacks--she never reads the fine print). A terrific time was had by all, with 50 of the 58 (now 52 of 60) living Hall of Famers in attendence.

My brothers and I went to many Brewers games as kids, and Paulie, Robin, Jimmy Gantner, Cecil Cooper, Ben Ogilvie, Gorman Thomas, Sixto Lexcano and Charlie Moore will always be indelibly imprinted upon our lives. (Along with Bob McClure, Moose Haas, Mike Caldwell, Ray Vukevich, Rollie Fingers and the rest.) I'll never forget cutting school in 1982 to go to the post-World Series parade in Milwaukee, where nearly a quarter of a million fans showed up . . . for a team that lost.

Of course, many of you have heard me rant about how Major League Baseball should die. And indeed, it should. But this weekend was a bright shining moment that was well-earned and well-deserved, and I was thrilled to bask in the very edges of his limelight.

From a hardcore member of the True Blue Brew Crew, congratulations Paulie!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   

Paul Molitor....Who the fuck's Paul Molitor!

John Picacio
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

Oh, man.....that's hilarious, Lucius! That's a good one.....I mean, c'mon....everyone knows Paul Molitor was a journeyman placekicker that played his last two seasons with the Packers. C'mon now. You should know that. :-)

Hey, Minz....all kidding aside...that was a cool little story there....I dug that one very much....very smooth of you to deek the wife into a camping trip and take her to Cooperstown along the way.....freaking brilliant!!! My hat's off to you! Glad you got to be there!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   

Riiiight! Old "Wide Left" Molitor,,,, I forgot.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

I love Moltar! And his wife, the lovely Linda!

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:08 pm:   

Actually, Lucius, his nickname's The Ignitor. Of course, it had nuthin' to do with his quick bat or ability to start a rally.

It was because out of all the clubhouse clowns in the dugout, he was best at lighting farts. In fact, that's how he broke into the majors. The official story of how Paulie got his start in the bigs was that he got his shot because Robin Yount was hurt, but the real reason was that the first time he lit one, he blew a hole in the dughouse drywall and started a fire. Not only did that cement his personal nickname and his spot on the roster (who doesn't need a player that can light a fire under the other players), but that's how the Brewers came to be known as Bambi's Bombers. (George Bamberger was the manager . . . R.I.P.)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

So he made the HOF for lighting farts?

Cool.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

Hey Minz, I didn't know Ray Vukcevich played for the Brewers. That explains a lot about his fiction. Actually, it explains nothing at all about his fiction.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:09 am:   

I meant Pete Vuckevich. Given the problems I have with names, I should probably choose another vocation, but as you know, Gardner Van Gelder, interning for Jim Frenkel leaves an indelible impression.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:35 am:   

Hey, Gordon...it explains a lot about the Brewers too.

Igor Vuckevich
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:54 am:   

The whole situation bears molitoring.

The Barber of seville
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:08 am:   

I thought a molitor was a funny haircut..,no, wait...that's a mollit....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register