HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Newest Movie Thread

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Newest Movie Thread « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7794
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 08:33 am:   

The other thread's too long....

Robdev
Intermediate Member
Username: Robdev

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:05 am:   

I just finished up the 3rd DVD from the "Man Who Planeted Trees" collection. They're all short animated films with an environmental angle. The title one was the best, a good story and nice animation. The rest just seemed like student films. I think having decent source material made the first film, while the others didn't draw from as interesting material.

I also made the mistake of catching Redbelt on cable. I know that I was warned against it, but I like Chiwetel Eijiofor, so I gave it a shot. I pretty much know nothing about professional fighting, but everything seemed fake to me. I had trouble suspending disbelief about the fighters. And like other Mamet films I remember, it seemed like he was trying to be too clever with the hustle/scam in a way that made it seem too unbelievable. But then, people fall for lots of scams that are even more unbelievable, so maybe I'm overestimating people.

Lucius

Post Number: 7795
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:21 am:   

Yeah, redbelt sucked. Still, it's a lot better than other MMA films.

Seppo13
Username: Seppo13

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:52 pm:   

Can anyone recommend any good/great fictional films that take on what it's really like to live in India? "Slumdog" got me interested. Subsequent viewings of flims like "A Passage to India," "The Namesake" and "Bricklane" were enjoyable, but they mostly either took on the westerner's point of view, or showed what it was like to live in another country while being foreign. Hell, I'm even thinking of renting some Bollywood films (to sort of soak up their pop culture). Any recommendations will be welcome!

Lucius

Post Number: 7797
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   

The Apu Trilogy and Devi by Sayajit Ray.

Seppo13

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 05:36 am:   

Thanks, Lucius!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:26 am:   

Hey Lucius, sorry for the slow reply. Been swamped at work.

I figured you were just busting my balls about the backpacking and TV thing. Wanted to be sure though.

Regarding your Portland info: thanks a lot. Very helpful. Do you mind a few more questions?

- What's the cost of living like there compared to other cities, especially NYC?

- Is public transport good enough that you can live sans automobile?

- Are there many green/famer's markets?

- Is the weather in Portland appreciably better or different than in Seattle?

- Are there many universities in the area?

Unfortunately, a lot of where I move will depend on pragmatic concerns related to pesky things like finding work, etc. Still there are some nice options.

The short list so far:

Burlington, Vermont
Montreal
Portland
Vancouver, BC
Somewhere in the Adirondacks (head for the hills!)
Colorado (maybe Boulder)
Amsterdam
NZ or Australia

Anyway...

I watched Outlander last night. Best B movie I've seen in some time. I agree that Ron Perlman should have had a bigger part though.

Lucius

Post Number: 7799
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:57 am:   

Cost of living is markedly cheaper than NYC and Montreal and Amsterdam. Don't know about the cost of living in the other places. My apartment, a i bedroom in an old brick building with high ceilings and wood floors and big rooms and a nice view of trees and rooftops, costs 750. There are cheaper apts to be had. just down the block is a trader joes and within a three or four block area is everything I need to live including an art house theater and a gym. every element of cost of living is cheaper.

Yep there's a great bus system here. I don't have a car. Very few people I know have a car.
Yes to the farmer's markets.
Universities...There's Reed College,, Portland State, Lewis and CLark, and a couple of others. I believe the U of Oregon has an extension here. That's just off the top of my head.

The weather is less cold and snowy than in Seattle.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:17 am:   

Portland is pretty bicycle friendly too, so you can get around that way.

I tried to go the NZ/Australia route, but had no luck on the job hunt. Given the choice between the two, I'd try for Australia. NZ has some pretty weird immigration laws (my mom can't get citizenship despite the fact that her mother is a citizen, although for some reason my uncle could get citizenship).

I made a tour of the Pacific Northwest on my return, liked Portland and Seattle. I felt like Portland was friendlier than Seattle, and Seattle costs more.

Dave

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:17 am:   

$750!!! That's nuts man. We pay nearly three times that for a one bedroom in Brooklyn. And to still be able to live without a car... I have to assume that salaries are somewhat smaller out there. Or something. Either that or Portland is the land of milk and honey.

I'll have to look into the universities more. I was hoping to go to go to grad school whereever we move. The economy and general societal collapse might make that tough though.

Thanks again Lucius.

If I can swing it, I might come to Portland on a climbing trip this summer to check it out. Smith Rock looks fun. I might include some anti-TV speaking engagements at local pubs and street corners. ;)

Lucius

Post Number: 7800
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:27 am:   

Probably salaries are smaller, but not three times smaller. Portland has been considered one of the most livable cities in the us for some years, so it sorta is the land of milk and honey.

Reed's a great school.

Yeah, come on out. You can crash on my couch.

Dave

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:49 am:   

>>I tried to go the NZ/Australia route, but had no luck on the job hunt. Given the choice between the two, I'd try for Australia. NZ has some pretty weird immigration laws (my mom can't get citizenship despite the fact that her mother is a citizen, although for some reason my uncle could get citizenship).

Yeah, my interest in those countries goes like this: English is the primary language, so Gillian could work as a shrink without stressing about another language. Also, both countries have pretty progressive criminal justice systems which is cool for me given that I earn a living as a forensic psychologist. Working in or even near the US CJ system is just killing me. I work for a not for profit now as a researcher, but before this I research suicide on Rikers Island. Never again...

Anyway, Gillian and I both have grad degrees, so I think we'd do well with the NZ immigration point system.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:13 am:   

I ran into issues since my degree is psychology and my work experience is computers. Kind of falls between the cracks on the point based system. But immigration issues aside, I liked Australia more. I could more easily picture myself living there.

Lucius

Post Number: 7801
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:40 am:   

Speaking of forensic pysch, Dave, have you seen Cracker with Robbie Coltrane, hands-down the greatest forensic psychologist series in the history of everything? If you haven't, get you some at once. It's awesome.

Dave

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:43 am:   

I've heard about Cracker, but havent seen it. I mostly avoid fictional forensic psych stuff. It's always pretty bad in terms of its factual basis. I worked briefly as a behavioral analyst with a state police agency. Nightmares for years etc. etc. Don't find the fictional stuff entertaining. Wouldn't no matter how good it was.

I'm looking to move out of the field. I'm looking at psychometrics/quant psych PhD programs. Maybe leave psych altogether...

Dave

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:45 am:   

Rob, I've never been to Australia or NZ, so it's all a bit abstract at this point. I have NZ friend though. He says that people with grad degrees get in pretty easily, that NZ grad students all bail and follow the brain drain elsewhere.

What did you like more about Australia?

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:04 am:   

I considered going the forensic route, but didn't think I'd want to deal with it all day.

NZ was beautiful and great if you like rural living. But it felt like they were happy to let world events go by as long as they were left alone. Australia felt less isolated, like they were part of the world. It was more diverse too. Better luck finding weird books and music.

Lucius

Post Number: 7802
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:24 am:   

Cracker is entertaining as hell. You're missing out, man. but then again, I didn't think Spinal Tap was a comedy when I saw it.

Rich_p
Username: Rich_p

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:29 am:   

Lucius,
You said you were in Libya pre-Gadafi, so I got curious and asked a student what year he came into power...
"zero, teacher"
I should have seen that one coming : ).

Lucius

Post Number: 7803
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   

:-)

Yeah. this was in the 60's. I assume it was pre-Gadafi. There was certainly no big wow about him.

Seppo13

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:12 am:   

DAVE: Haven't traveled most of OZ yet, but between two of best-known, southermost cities: if you like fast-paced city life, go with Sydney. If you enjoy the small-town feel, and eccentric suburbs and designs (downtown has art deco, gothic cathedrals, etc) but a city that is so well planned and laid out you have to TRY to get lost, go with Melbourne. LOTS of markets here (the Aussies are big on fresh produce, etc) and LOTS of independent bookstores (there ARE chains: Angus & Robertson, Dymocks, even a few Borders books -- but the indies thrive). And theater does VERY well here. Plenty of arthouse cinemas,but one of the big chains -- Village -- actually includes arthouse cinemas inside of many of their locations (they call it "Cinema Europa"). And there's a pretty damn decent transit system (although, after living in KC for 17 years, with only buses, I guess ANYthing looks great): buses, trams and trains (the latter system has had its problems with overflow, etc., but they are working on that).

Melbourne is DEFINITELY one of the greenest large cities I've lived in. And there are LOTS of universities here, too. (Oh yeah: "the Green lantern" film will be shooting here -- and in Sydney -- so moving here next year might give you a chance to be an extra in comic book flick). That's my sales spiel.

MOVIES: Just finished watching "Ace in the Hole" and "Pickup on South Street". Damn great Nu-whar films! Jean Peters does a helluva job getting smacked around (doesn't look a like stunt lady was used) in one scene, and the fight scene in subway featuring Richard Widmark is one of the best I've ever seen!

Seppo13

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:46 am:   

Before signing off for the night, and because I was (in large part) responsible for leading the last movie thread away from topic, wanted to leave you guys with this link to Roger Ebert's blog (and now, very fascinating discussion thread) on "Knowing":

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/03/a_roll_of_whose_dice.html

I haven't even finished reading all of the posts, but I was already highly impressed with the level of discussion when only halfway through them.

Lucius

Post Number: 7804
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 09:18 am:   

reading the posts on Roger Ebert's sight about determinism is not a good sign, Dorman... :-)

Seppo13

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 09:24 pm:   

Signs!
Yes, yes! I've been seeing a lot of them of late...in my cereal...in the tea leaves...in...

Hmmm, okay. I see what you mean. :-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7805
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:37 am:   

Not exactly a think tank over there in Ebertville, y'lnow.

Seppo13

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 06:48 am:   

Hey Lucius, all goofing aside: did you READ some of the comments on that post? In just the beginning some guy named "Joe" threw out an off-handed remark about determinism that in itself eclipses most of the discussions on other boards (yup, including yours). Then -- and maybe this isn't the same Columbus Astronomical Society speaker/seemingly unusual science-type geek person I've seen postings by on the internet, but -- someone named Brad Hoehne weighs in with a really mind-bending comment about quantum physics. Those two in just the first ten or posts.

You may want to reconsider your opinion -- at least of this particular Ebert-inspired blog/post/discussion. :-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7806
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 09:13 am:   

These guys are arguing (seriously) about determinism vs shit happens--I checked it out and it was like being in a n 8th grade class full of woodchucks. The reason nobody talks about determinism over here is that most us have worked that shit out for ourselves. We have no read to revisit the philosophical questions that once troubled us in junior high..

Seppo13

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   

P.S. Excuse all of the weird punctuation in the above posts --didn't have time for quality control. Gotta go finish some cooking (missed lunch)!

Lucius

Post Number: 7807
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 09:37 pm:   

First of all Cage should have been put to death at puberty and Con Air made me embarrassed to be human.

As of the rest...my God,you're insane. I didn't say I enjoyed Knowing. I didn't say it was a good movie. You're cracking up down there, man. What I said was I liked thinking about how it could have been fixed; I liked some of the visuals; I said the script was really weak. Christ, get a grip. And as far as arguing about mix tapes, you're the one making all the statements--if you'd rather I not contribute a contrary opinion, I'll stop. This discussion board is a place i check every once in a while-it's a place where I come to be not intellectually rigorous, but to bullshit with the few folks who still hang out here. I dash off my comments in a few seconds and am gone. Now you suggested i check out Eberts blog, so I did and found a bunch of internetholes communicating in grunts and whistles about determinism. I said as much. Now you're saying shit about intellectual content and Lucius Shepards message board and whatever. Man, just relax, okay? Take a breath. Because there ain't nothing happening here like you seem to think.

Seppo13

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   

Hey, Lucius,

Not sure if a death sentence is warranted for Cage, but, hey...

As for the rest: I'm stunned if you (and anyone else) on the board are offended (I really DO rate this discussion group pretty highly, otherwise I wouldn't stop in so often, after checking email -- I'm not that much of a "net"rat).

And I'm truly _not_ (and wasn't) wound up (thus the pasting of all the smiley faces in the first message -- thought that might be a clue). If I got your ire up (and I'm not gonna suggest I did), apologies. I really DID think the use of those smiles -- that you often use -- would get the gentle kidding tone through (guess not -- the internet can be like that). I probably should've inserted some of those in the second post, but I was typing in a rush (as evidenced by the p.S. post)

Really (REALLY) haven't gotten wound up (and don't intend to). Hoping you are the same (and that I misread the tone of the above).

As for me mistkaing that you actualy said you liked "Knowing," you're right: you didn't. I just assumed that from the comments you made after seeing it:
To wit:
"Just came back from Knowing, and despite the weak script and the horror that is Cage, and despite tossing around every cliche known to fans, it's still the closest Alex Proyas has come to doing another Dark City."
AND:
"...well if you can pardon the script and overlook cage, it's got some twisty ideas and some stunning visuals, and actually put me in mind of those 50's Hollywood classics (only in color) like the Day the Earth Stood Still. Not saying it's a good movie, just that it's the best Hollywood scifi movie in some years."

It sounded like you dug the movie. My bad for assuming.

Once again, here's hoping _you_ (and Spence, and anyone else that might think I was attacking them -- rather than playfully teasing) are in a more sanguine mood when by the time this is read.
For me, it's only movies (sports, music, etc).

I've give you guys a break from my insane posts for a while.
And now...I'm gonna get back to the real world...where I can do far more damage. :-)

Cheers,
DTS

Lucius

Post Number: 7808
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:08 am:   

I;m not offended. Jesus. It just sounded to me like you were getting worked up...

Knowing was, for me, interesting in that I dig Christer movies. I liked the Rapture, flawed as it was, and this frustrated me in that I could see how it might have been good with better writing and the use of one's imagination. It had the potential to be at least interesting, whereas most recent Hollywood scifi flicks don't even have that much potential.

Jwk
Username: Jwk

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:54 am:   

"You guys are REALLY starting to sound like the John Cusack/Jack Black/Todd Louiso gang from "Hi Fidelity". Next thing you know, we'll arguing whose "mix tape" is better"

I was cringing when I saw that movie, because it hit a little too close to home. I used to work in a record store in the early 90's. It was like that...except about ten times worse. :-)
I think there still might be some chunks of wall missing in that building, from when the employees took to throwing discs at high speed after we closed.

Lucius

Post Number: 7810
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:51 am:   

book store people are the same. I remember a friend of mine waiting on a guy who asked if they had a book by Dr Phil and he laughed and said, I think not! And the guy sort of shrank away from the cash register. I pointed this out and he didn't even know he'd done it.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 07:24 am:   

I was looking through Outside Magazine and came across a photo in Venezuela, there was some street art of Hugo Chavez. However, my first thought on seeing the street art was "Why is there street art of Steven Seagal?" It took a few moments to figure out my mistake. But it does make me wonder if Seagal will ever get involved in politics.

Dave

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 08:08 am:   

Seagal might make a good VP for Palin 2012.

I watched Frozen River last night. I found it to be pretty good. The actress from Homicide was terrific throughout. I do feel like there were a few bad notes in the writing (plotting mostly, character work seemed good) though, mostly in the way it pulled its punches. The film ended too tidily and I thought the relief I found myself feeling for Ray was false somehow. I think things started coming apart when they went back for the baby. Maybe it's me I just don't think things should haved ended as well as they did.

Still a good recomendation Lucius. Thanks.

Lucius

Post Number: 7813
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 09:50 am:   

Oh yeah, didn't I say the picture copped out at the end. I think I did. Melissa Leo was great and that's what sold me on it.

Seagall in politics...Oh god. WHy not? We've sunk this low...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:20 am:   

If we can have Arnie governing a state, why not another action star who's actually helped people in real life? I remember reading about Seagal rescuing people after Katrina. And maybe politics would keep him from making more music. :-)

Dave

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:48 am:   

>>Oh yeah, didn't I say the picture copped out at the end. I think I did.

You might have. I looked but couldn't find your original post.

It'd be nice if Leo lands some more roles.

Lucius

Post Number: 7814
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:17 am:   

She will now, having won the spirit award and getting the oscar nom.

Well, if I didn't I should have...but for me the Leo performance was enough.

Lucius

Post Number: 7815
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 06:37 am:   

Anyone out there heard about a new indie film from Greenland? I've heard it's good, but my contact couldn't recall the title,

Jts
Username: Jts

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:52 am:   

The only Greenland film I could find was this- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235162/ I don't know if that was Liz was talkiing about.

Hope it helps

Lucius

Post Number: 7816
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:56 am:   

Thanks, that's got to be it!

Lucius

Post Number: 7817
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:58 am:   

Anyone seen the trailer for the new Jarmusch film, The Limits of Control? Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Bill Murray, etc, and music by Boris, Earth, and Sunn O))). looks intriguing.

Jwk

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:19 am:   

I guess he's moved on from hip hop. heh. Sounds interesting.

Jwk

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:20 am:   

I just watched Down By Law for the first time the other day. Pretty amusing.

Lucius

Post Number: 7818
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   

Yeah, Dead Man and Down by Law are my two faveoriteJJ movies.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 01:00 pm:   

I've never seen Down by Law. I like Dead Man. Jarmusch often picks interesting soundtracks.

Lucius

Post Number: 7819
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 01:28 pm:   

Down By Law is, to quote JK, pretty amusing.

Lucius

Post Number: 7820
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 04:31 pm:   

I watched a screener last night of Moon, Duncan Jones' low budget scifi film that caused a pretty large wow at sundance. Earth's energy problems have been solved by harvesting the sun's helium from rocks on the moon. In charge of this is Lunar Industries, a corporation that has placed factory-sized automated harvesters on the moon--they are conttolled by a single employee who serve three-year contract/sentences before they return to Earth. Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) is such a employee. Two weeks remain on his contract before he returns to his wife and young daughter, and he can hardly wait--his mind has deteriorated and he's been having hallucinations. Hs only companion is a computer given voice by Kevin Spacey. All is as normal as could be exprected, but then Sam experiences an accident while inspecting a harvester on the lunar surface and wakes to find himself in the base infirmary in the company of his replacement, a man identical to himself.

This is the first twist of many, and Im not going to say any more, because this movie is one you need to see. Not that it;s perfect. There are the usual logical flaws and Rockwell, who I admire s an actor (loved him in Glaxayquest) is spotty in his performance. But all n all this is a compelling scifi thriller that dies not depend on explosions for its thrills, but on character and story . A little stiory told agaist a large canvas. The kind of scifi flick I've been hollering for. You'll probably figure it all out before San does, but hey, he's been on the moon by himself (another logical flaw) for three years. The no-budget FX are excellent and Jones does his rockstar daddy, David Bowie, proud. I'l; be reviewing this at length later on and I've already got my title: Ground Control to Miner Sam.

Moon opens in limited areas in June--see it if you can.

Jwk

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 09:12 pm:   

Duncan Jones huh? Son of David Jones. Sounds cool. Put it in the Netflix queue (release date unknown).

Lucius

Post Number: 7821
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 07:34 am:   

Zowie Bowie, you remember? I think it's due out this summer from Sony.

Jwk

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:05 pm:   

Lucius, have you seen Bronson, directed by the guy who did Fear X and the Pusher trilogy? A biopic about Britain's self-proclaimed "most notorious criminal." Supposed to be pretty brutal, and has gotten good reviews.

Lucius

Post Number: 7827
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:38 pm:   

I saw about half of it, then turned off the screener. Kind of a Brit Chopper. It didn't really hold my interest, having seen the Australian version. The lead was all right (can't remember his name-he's off to do a cagefighting film next), but didn't really hold a candle to Bana's Reed. All in all, it wasn't awful, but neither was it something i'd recommend.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member
Username: Dave_g

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 09:05 am:   

Sorry to be so late to the party, but my $.01.5 on a couple of the topics discussed:

Glad LS is speaking up a little for The Rapture. It kind of falls apart in the end, but it's one of my favorite half-movies. Love Mimi Rogers' anguish in the desert.

Medium-sized fan of Sam Rockwell, too. I thought he and Casey Affleck were terrif in THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES...

Only ever lived in two cities, but love Portland, and liked Melbourne and Montreal a lot when I visited. LS, a mutual friend of ours has been complaining a lot lately about the recent lousy weather and Portland's allegedly crumbling infrastructure. I guess you guys had it rough during the big blizzard this year, eh?

Lucius

Post Number: 7828
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:03 am:   

Bucket's business is doing poorly and that makes him a major sour grump. Crumbling infrastructure? Beats me. As for having it rough during the blizzard, I was sick but cozy. Not sure what he's on about. Bucket loves to be doomful. If I listened to himI'd kill myself. Yeah, it's all going to hell but I'm doing better than I have been for years. Go figure.

Too bad Mimi had to grow old.

Dave

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   

>>Yeah, it's all going to hell but I'm doing better than I have been for years. Go figure.

Thats a weird place to be, eh? I think I kind feel the same.I almost feel ripped off in an "I got my life together for this?" kind of way.

At there're still some good movies. I watched Lights in the Dusk.Very coolflick. Your recommendations have been right on the money recently Lucius.

Lucius

Post Number: 7829
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:09 pm:   

Kaurusmaki is all good. I live to recommend. :-)

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:24 am:   

Wow, you weren't kidding about Doomsday being bad. My wife asked if it was a Sci-Fi Channel original, which gives an indication of the quality.

Lucius

Post Number: 7830
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 07:05 am:   

Hard to believe it was the same director who made the descent.
Dunno what happened to Neal.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:54 am:   

Same thing that happened to Lee Tamahori?

Apparently Kings is being dropped. They're required to air all the completed episodes, but they're dumping them onto Saturday night, and it seems like there's no chance of it getting picked up for another season

Lucius

Post Number: 7831
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   

Yeah, but Lee had the Hollywood fetish clubs to pin it on and Doomsday wasn't a Hollywood movie, I don't think.

Never saw Kings.

Sigil23
Username: Sigil23

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   

That's too bad. I think Dollhouse is done too, one of the guest actresses was told her episode would only be on the DVD and I think we know what that spells. On the other hand what the four-toed statue on Lost is is starting to come into picture. :D

Lucius

Post Number: 7832
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 01:10 pm:   

Stop it! :-)

Dollhouse doesn't seem like a loss to me...

Sigil23

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   

:-) No it's definitely not, not even the best show on during its time period.

Lucius

Post Number: 7833
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:15 pm:   

And oh yeah, fuck a bunch of four toed feet. If I were still watching, I'd probably be rooting for the polar bear...

Sigil23

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   

Well it wasn't a hobbit. :-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7834
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   

I bet they got one of those too--"Time to feed the bear! Throw out he hobbit!"

And christ, of course, they did have one of those with Monaghan.

Dave

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   

>>And oh yeah, fuck a bunch of four toed feet. If I were still watching, I'd probably be rooting for the polar bear...

Not so fast dude. You made a promise, right? If the statue comes back, you have to start watching Lost again.

A man's word is his bond and all that. ;)

Lucius

Post Number: 7835
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   

Is it back?

I had my fingers crossed...

Dave

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:58 pm:   

It's so back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_is_Dead

Frank decides to return to the smaller island, where he is taken hostage by Ilana (Zuleikha Robinson) and several of the other 316 survivors, who ask him if he knows "what lies in the shadow of the statue."

Looks like you have to watch.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   

Even if Doomsday wasn't Hollywood, it still felt like a Hollywood production. I wonder if that's because of a higher budget, more corporate control, or if Marshall just had bad ideas.

I don't know if I can watch Lost again even with the foot. Reading the synopsis of the past two seasons gave me a headache...pretty common occurrence when dealing with time travel. The only time travel thing I've seen that didn't bother me was 12 Monkeys.

Lucius

Post Number: 7836
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:52 pm:   

you seen Timecrines? Chronocrimenes?

I'll watch one episode? If theer's no foot, I'm gone....

I think Marshall just went down a bad road, and he's still going down it with the Descent 2...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 06:03 pm:   

No, I haven't seen Timecrimes. I just read a few reviews and it sounds interesting.

Oh, Futurama also had time travel that didn't bother me. It's hard to be bothered by it when it's deliberately silly (like Fry being his own grandfather).

We'll see if Marshall does a decent job with his Roman legion movie.

Lucius

Post Number: 7837
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 02:23 am:   

Re Marshall, I don't hold out much hope.

Timecrimes was pretty cool--not sure it made sense, but it was entertaining enough that I didn't care....

Lucius

Post Number: 7838
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 02:24 am:   

What lies in the shadow of the statue?

I bet it's a petrified turd shaped liike Nixon.

Lucius

Post Number: 7841
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 07:00 am:   

Saw Observe and Report, teh newest by Jody Hill, director of the Fist-Foot Way. IT's very nearly a black comedy masterpiece, but for the fact that Hill pulls his punches--it would never have been greenlighted otherwise, and I'm surprised a studio went for this. I imagine wheher you like this depends on whether you believe the characters are realistic. Ostensibly the film is an homage to taxi driver, but in myview Ronnie, the Seth Rogan character, is a lot more real and scarier than Travis Bickle.

Also ths week I saw O'Horten, a very cool Norwegian comedy by Brent Hamer, director of Kitchen Stories, and Sin Nombre, which is dead-on authentic, but I didn't like as much for reasons I can't quite put my fnger on--maybe it's too beautifully shot to serve the story, maybe I didn't like the male lead enough. Still, it's worthy.

Sigil23

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 08:50 am:   

I'd brought up the Lost statue because of the statue talks of the past, just for fun. :-) I do like that it (I guess this could be spoilery for someone) it's apparently the statue of some Egyptian deity and that there's some sort of Egyptian temple on the island connected to Anubis. Anyway I think the show's been pretty great the last season or 2 and the mythological layer and time hopping chaos has made it pretty unique. Which is a far cry from the tedium it was in the third season.

Lucius

Post Number: 7844
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:21 am:   

It's just the acting is so fucking bad--I can't take it seriously. And the format, two minute scenes, no longer works for me.

Re Vanity Fair--something like that.

Sigil23

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:26 pm:   

Well far be it from me to defend the acting, it would be kind of like an argument for watching it. Anyway it seems like the "statue joke" is done, but it did turn out to be a lot cooler than it looked when it was just four toes.

Lucius

Post Number: 7845
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   

So you mean, the statue was back and is now gone?

Sigil23

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   

The statue is destroyed in the current timeline. You see it from the back in an episode a few weeks ago (which I think is in the 70s timeline) where it clearly shows the features of some Egyptian god (I think it's holding an ankh). In last Wednesday's episode, one of the characters goes to a supposed temple on the island that's barely been mentioned so far. It's there you find out what the smoke creature is from the first season, apparently some avatar or creature of what on a hieroglyphic carving is clearly Anubis. So what they seem to be setting up is some sort of Egyptian mythos behind what is going on on the island. Some have guessed that the destroyed statue is of Isis or one of the Egyptian fertility goddesses because pregnancies on the island go wrong.

Lucius

Post Number: 7846
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 03:00 pm:   

Well, fuck i, I don't have to watch. Sounds awful. :-)

Jwk

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 09:08 pm:   

Watched Nicolas Roeg's Puffball-The Devil's Eyeball. There were some interesting elements to it, pagan magic and fertility, ancient stones in the British country, but it went on for too long. It could have been cut by 1/2 hour. Didn't end too well and Donald Sutherland's character seemed pointless. Pretty flawed, but worth watching if you like Roeg. Cool soundtrack though, Nurse with Wound and Coil.
Also watched the French thriller Tell No One. Pretty entertaining. Not a perfect movie, and some of it was far-fetched, but it was watcheable.

Lucius

Post Number: 7852
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:19 am:   

I saw Tell No One while back--not bad. Didn't have the patience to sit thru Puffball....Probably going to State Of Play tonorrow, Not expecting ir ro be as good as the miniseries,

Well, it didn't work, Dave. :-)

Dave

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 07:26 am:   

>>Well, it didn't work, Dave.

It was worth a shot...

Have you read Grandin's book "Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism"? Seems like it might bbe of interest to you. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.

Lucius

Post Number: 7853
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:04 am:   

Nope, I haven't. The title sort of says it all, huh? Not sure I really need to read it, but will. Thanks.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:40 pm:   

I caught a documentary on Sundance, All in this Tea. I flipped through and recognized Herzog's voice. He only had a tiny appearance drinking tea, but it was a nice film about a guy trying to buy tea directly from farmers in China and meeting a lot of resistance from the government. I've been tea obsessed for years, and I still picked up a lot of new knowledge about tea from it.

Lucius

Post Number: 7855
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:02 pm:   

I also saw a docu--Ganja Queen, about an Aussie woman popped for pot in Indonesia. Pretty fucking awful, but the awfulest thing was trying to figure out which member of her family set her up...which seems to be the case...she's now doing 20 years.

Rich_p

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 04:17 am:   

Finally saw Tres Diaz and liked it. Thank you very much for the rec. Agree with you that the most interesting aspect was the evolution of Emilio's character, and that this is diluted by the amped-up arrival of Lucio. Still, a darn good movie.

Rich_p

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:10 am:   

It wasn't going to have a happy ending... :-)

Quick question: Do you know anything about 'Awake'? It's been recommended to me.

Lucius

Post Number: 7864
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:58 am:   

Yeah, medical trhiller with Alba, Hayden Christiansen. It's kind of cool if you shut off your brain. I couldn't. Thought the idea was cool, the writing was weak, the acting so-so. If you've nothing else to do...

Lucius

Post Number: 7865
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:59 am:   

and if you like movies about surgical procedures. I don't.

Rich_p

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:24 am:   

Don't think I'll proceed then. Thanks. The time and,, well, basically just the time required to get movies where I am could be better spent acquiring really good stuff. Thanks.

Just a thought. You really should compile all your one paragraph movie reviews into a film 'Consumer Guide' (ala Christgau). It would be indespensible to all us ex-pats dealing with DVD outlets in Kazakhstan or Malaysian or wherever, if not half the 'Lonely Planet/Rough Guide to...' readership that are looking for a good movie to watch. Just a thought :-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7866
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 09:02 am:   

Maybe that's a good idea...I'll study on it.

I'm doing 140 character reviews on Twitter these days....

Rich_p

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 09:39 am:   

Not sure what "twitter" means. I'm a low-tech dude. On my way to the bar.. RP

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 10:21 am:   

For a guy who does tech support, I feel weird for hating so much about computers. No Twitter for me, so IM or chat stuff either. I just got some Jabber instructions from a co-worker and it looked like technobabble to me. Dealing with Facebook is annoying enough, I don't think I could stand Twitter.

Lucius

Post Number: 7868
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:07 am:   

Twitter is hell on cyberearth. It's repulsive.

Do you work for Comcast? Maybe we've spoken--I call them all the time. :-)

Sigil23

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:51 am:   

Lucius, I meant to tell you, I sent off a thorny recounting of my trials to Brian Roberts @ Comcast who sent it over to their regional executive customer service agent the next day. I talked to her this morning and she's supposed to credit me the full amount of my bill for this month (which isn't insubstantial). Now I've been told I'd get a credit before and not received it, but I was told to call the exec back if that happens. If it all goes through as I've been told, I'll have the three months of my outage paid back double for my trouble. I think if I end up having further trouble I'll just cut to the chase next time.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:51 am:   

No, not Comcast. pair.com.

Lucius

Post Number: 7869
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:05 pm:   

Cool, Mike. Maybe I'll try that next time as well.

Ok, Robert. I'm glad it wasn't you I cussed at. ;)

Sigil23

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:47 pm:   

Just a few days ago Comcast got dinged $900,000 for not paying attention to the Do Not Call policy. They have the most frequent sales calls I've ever seen and I've suspected that they continue to call even after the 30 day window from when you tell them not to call and that's what they got fined for (Direct TV also got fined... again). This follows on their being fined for lying about their bandwidth restrictions from a while back. If there were a second or third broadband company that could compete with the same internet speeds, people would probably leave the company in droves. My hate will turn to a simmer as soon as I see that credit applied, but I bet it won't be a month or two before I have to talk to the next doe eyed innocent they throw on the front lines. I'll save my vitriol for the execs.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:07 pm:   

I'd think that a movie with Steven Seagal playing "Cock Puncher" would be funny, but the Onion Movie managed to make it unfunny. And the movie only went downhill from there. I can see why the movie was kept off the market for 5 years.

Rich_p

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:49 am:   

Finally saw Fat City, after years of reading your praises. Hungry for more forgotten Huston. Love MWWBKing and Volcano. What's your take on Wise Blood? Any more Huston gems we shoud know about ? Cheers, Richard (stuck in traffic at the Libyan border :-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7871
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:11 am:   

Did you like Fat City?

Yeah, I don't know how hidden these are, but I liked the Unforgiven, the Misfits, and Night of the Iguana. I go in and out on Wise Blood. I don't think it's that good, but I like it.

Rich_p

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 03:41 am:   

Yeah, thought Fat City was great. Keach and Tyrell both awesome. MWWbKing is my favorite middle period Huston. FC was way different, of course, but as good. Will try out the others you mentioned, thanks!

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 01:40 pm:   

I watched Wolverine. It was exactly what I expected: summer action movie, not much plot, just eye candy. It would have been better to explore his early years and deal with why his brother is more vicious than him. Unlike many of my friends, I don't view X-Men and X2 as great works of film, they were just decent mindless entertainment. To me, Wolverine lived up to the same level.

Lucius

Post Number: 7872
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 01:55 pm:   

Huh, I heard it was particularly atrocious. Star Trek's OK, if a splendiferous Star Trek is what you're looking for, which I wasn't.

Also, saw Sin Nombre again and it grew on me a bit.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   

For me, less atrocious than X3. I didn't expect much out of it. It was easily worth the $2 I paid per ticket (thanks to a gift card). I also have an odd track record for prequels. I still think Phantom Menace was the best of the Star Wars prequels and I know most other people disagree (not that I think it's good, just least unwatchable).

I know I'll end up watching Star Trek. Up will be the only other big movie that looks entertaining.

Lucius

Post Number: 7873
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 04:09 pm:   

Never saw the Star Wars prequels--I didn't much like the first series, and this one...nah! I've caught bits since on cable and have never been interested in seeing more.

Star Trek is, I'd wager. better than the Wolverine.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 05:21 am:   

That wouldn't surprise me, although I am skeptical of J J Abrams movies after watching Mission Impossible 3.

Lucius

Post Number: 7874
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:45 am:   

Well, it is just a Star Trek movie, after all. Big woof. What I heard about Wolverine was how dreadful the dialogue was. "Nobody kills you but me." Etc.

Lucius

Post Number: 7875
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 07:24 am:   

Been watching a lot of Brit TV lately--the complete series of Afterlife, which is Medium for adults, revisiting State of Play, the mini-series, Saxondale--Steve Coogan's latest characterization, an aging pissed-off ex-roadie who now runs a pest control business, and my favorite--Nighty Night, an unbbelievably bleak comedy circulating about a woman who convinces her husband he has cancer so she can put in a hospice...Great stuff.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:25 am:   

Yeah, bad dialog. But that's expected in a comic book movie.

I haven't watched much notable lately. Mostly just nature documentaries.

Lucius

Post Number: 7876
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:29 am:   

Saw a great documentary recently, but not about nature, about film...BurdenOf Dreams. If you haven't seen it, it's really worth checking out. The mother of all film docus...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:48 am:   

I know I've seen part of Burden of Dreams, but never the whole thing. The tea documentary I mentioned earlier is from the same director

Jwk

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:57 am:   

Burden of Dreams is the doc about Herzog making Fitzcaraldo, right? I saw it awhile ago, pretty cool. My Best Fiend is good too, about Herzog's relationship with Klaus Kinski. Of course it's completely different from Kinski's version of things in his "autobiography" but they're both probably nuts.

Lucius

Post Number: 7877
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:57 am:   

I'll have to do the tea one.

Oh, yeah...forgot to mention, I saw The Limits of Control, Jarmusch's new one. A much better version of the story he told in Ghost Dog. Very cool, serene, surreal, metaphysical. And a great soundtrack (Boris, Sun O)), etc...)

Huw
Username: Huw

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 03:52 am:   

Lucius, speaking of British TV: have you watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or Man to Man with Dean Lerner? Some hilarious stuff in those...

Lucius

Post Number: 7878
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 06:43 am:   

I've got Garth Marenghi but haven't yet watched it. Not familiar with Man to Man.

how's taiwan? I hear Tsai-Ming Liang has a new one.

Huw

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 05:29 am:   

I hope you enjoy Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - I found it hilarious (in a deliberately cheesy way). Man to Man with Dean Learner is good, too. Learner (played by Richard Ayoade, one of Britain's best comics, in my opinion) is also a character in Darkplace.

Taiwan is starting to get very hot and sticky. I like the sun, but could really do without the humidity. At least we get typhoons now and then to cool things down a little. I'm hoping to get away to the mountains for a while and escape the worst of it, health problems permitting. The mountains here are stunning, and pretty high... around 4000 meters, many of them. The aboriginal people who live there are really friendly, too (another reason to go).

I didn't know Tsai Ming-liang had a new film out - thanks for the heads-up!

Lucius

Post Number: 7886
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 06:27 am:   

The Tsai Ming Liang is a comedy called Face.

The Tawainese mountains sound awesome--I hope your health improves so you can go.

I've managed to secure bootlegs of some of the films being shown at Cannes. So far I've only watched a couple and the hands down best is an Australian film called Samson and Delilah about two aboriginal teenagers trapped in a small central Australian town...It's a beautifully realized narrative about the hopelessness of such places. It's not overtly a political film, but politics is implicit in it, and doesn't manipulate you in stupid ways. It earns its sentiment, doesn't just pull at your hearstrings,..

Lucius

Post Number: 7888
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 04:52 pm:   

Someone, dave I think, was looking for great nature movies, and thought It's not american, I just watched Eric Valli's Himalaya, which is a beautiful high mountain movie--breathtaking, and a great story, like an old Howard Hawks western. So if Dave's still lurking...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 05:29 pm:   

I liked Himalaya. If I remember correctly, the actors were all local amateurs.

Lucius

Post Number: 7889
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   

Yeah--it's really good. Fucking beautiful stuff.

Jwk

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 10:35 am:   

Watched Caro's Dante 01. Pretty crappy. And what was up with that cod-2001 ending? Dominique Pinion goes down into the boiling water to fix something on the ship, so it will stop heading towards the hot planet, but it looks like he fails. Then the prisoner with special powers is out in space heading towards the planet, then it goes into a sub-2001 psychedelic freak out. Huh!? I'll I can guess is that the prisoner had Christ-like powers, and he reacted with Dante and turned it into an earth-like planet? One of the last shots has the ship in front of the new planet, and it looks like a cross. What did you think of that ending Lucius? You saw the movie right?

Lucius

Post Number: 7891
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   

Not only did I see it, I had beers with Mark Caro in Trieste, who is just a great guy...but his movie sucked. What did I think of the ending? Not a lot. It was just too bullshit talky for me--I didn't bother of keeping track of whether it made sense. I assume it did in Caro's head, but not for me. But Caro is really a good guy. And really tiny. He can't be more that five four or thereabouts. Made me feel like a giant.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 01:41 pm:   

OK, Star Trek was a lot more entertaining than Wolverine.

Dave

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:03 pm:   

Hey, I'm still here. I just thought you weren't after you announced your blogging break, so I haven't been checking this site regularly.

Looks like I need to check out Himalaya. Thanks for mentioning it.

>>Nero was like all Star Trek villains, ie, lame...

I'll take your word for it. My favorite lame Star Trek villian is the Borg though. I mean really...a bunch zombie commies who want to assimilate you and steal your individuality. I always cheered for the Borg when I was a kid 'cause I never understood the enthusiasm for living in Star Trek's liberal utopia: everyone it in it is a monumental tool.

Dave

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:09 pm:   

>>But I always like the NS board and still prefer that format and so try to keep it flowing as much as I can.

Cool. Glad you're still out there. Otherwise I'd wind up watching garbage. ;)

I'd love tomake it to the Himalayas. What sort of field work was your ex doing?

Have you ever seen Blindsight? Looks cool, but maybe kind of exploitative at root, eh?

Lucius

Post Number: 7894
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   

Anthropology.

I'm working on a story called that;s called I Got Those Way Down Below The Himalayas In A Secret Cavern Burns A Flame Brighter Than The Sun Tibetan Blues that's based on our time in Dolpo. Havent seen Blindsight, which is weird, because I'm a sucker for anything about Tibet. Can't beat the scenery, man. I was up in the Chang Tang one summer and that was the shit. Beautiful silent places. snow filling the tracks of wild animals in the morning, leaving white footprints everywhere, monster green hills...fucking great. And I hate the outdoors. But that was cool.

Dave

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:10 am:   

Yeah, for an outdoor hater, you're waxing rhapsodic here, man. And making me really jealous.

Regarding Blindsight, I wonder: as a documentary film maker, how far can you push blind kids to climb before you cross the line into exploitation?

Lucius

Post Number: 7895
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 11:05 am:   

It depends on the kids' attitude and their circumstance, I should think. One would have to be very sensitive and knowledgeable, so as to discern that line clearly.

Oh, yeah. If you're a hiker...the Himalayas is the Holy Grail. But then you get to be part of the problem, as eco-tourism has really polluted the region, both literally and culturally.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   

I read a book a few years ago about a guy who organized tours in the Himalayas. He was often conflicted because he loved the area, but hated what the tours did. Yet he didn't know how to do anything else, so he just tried to do the best he could with his tours and keep people away from a lot of areas.

There were lots of anecdotes about aid agencies coming in and screwing things up. The one positive story was about some Japanese scientists who wanted to improve the agricultural yield of the farmers. They started by studying the current farming methods used there, and quickly decided they couldn't improve them, so they went home.

Lucius

Post Number: 7896
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 01:24 pm:   

I was gonna say--they got the farming thing down.

When I was last there, at the end of the 90s, I was in Nepal and in Tibet, near Mount Kailash, and both areas had been polluted, but nepal was far worse. I hated the eco-tourists. In Tibet, the problem was due more to pilgrims, but like I said wasn't as severe.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   

I'm not surprised that they didn't need help with farming. What was interesting is how rare it is for people to actually talk to the locals and observe their methods before trying to force new ideas on them.

As for Matthiessen, I've read The Snow Leopard and Cloud Forest. They also tie in to the music threads - I started reading them after Shearwater's singer recommended them. He also wrote a song inspired by Snow Leopard (not directly based on it, but on the feelings of elation and frustration he got reading it).

Dave

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 09:09 pm:   

A quick link for the Trek fans here:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film

Lucius

Post Number: 7898
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 03:50 am:   

Here's my Twitter review for Angels and Demons.

The Illuminati’s out to kick Vatican ass and only Forrest Gump can stop them. Take a drunk to see this—encourage him to make rude noises.

Lucius

Post Number: 7899
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:14 am:   

It's not hard to find. Try Amazon.

Jwk

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:20 am:   

Opie should have had Goober from the Andy Griffith Show star in Angels and Demons. That would have been cool. If Opie gives work to his equally talentless brother Clint, he could at least give some work to Goober.

Lucius

Post Number: 7900
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:46 am:   

You know, that's true. Gump amd Goober would make a good team. But I gotta tell you, I find these Dan Brown movies really amusing. They're God comedies.

Lukedjlaw
Username: Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:49 am:   

seen sleep dealer or naked ambition?

Dave

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   

Root for 'em then! Anyone but Tom Hanks. Don't root for him.

Lucius

Post Number: 7901
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   

I've seen Sleep Dealer. It's pretty good, if you can forgive no-budget FX and a too-facile ending.

As for as Angels and Demons goes, it's like when Nottre Dame plays Tennessee for me, you hope for a meteorite to hit the stadium.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 08:27 am:   

Personally, I couldn't get through Da Vinci Code.

Don't you have to give some credence to the whole Catholic mythology in order to find Dan Brown's lame little story shocking or even mildly interesting?

Lucius

Post Number: 7902
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   

I don't know. Maybe if you take it seriously, that's a criteria. But I thought both film were funny as hell.

Dave

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:21 am:   

Now this is a great format for a review:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html

Like twitter, it doesn't have too many pesky wordz, but it has the benefit of pictures.

Ugh. I have nothing of value to contribute really. Haven't seen a good movie in a while. Been too busy streaming old Tom Baker era Dr. Who from Netflix. Somebody help me.

I do have a question though: What's the word on Drag Me To Hell? Looks like it could be a good old fashioned horror story. Anybody know anything?

Lucius

Post Number: 7903
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 01:15 pm:   

My recommendation is House of the Devil, a real old fashioned horror movie with a 70s feel--a cliched idea, girl, house, but done with real panache and actual suspense. Have no idea if Drag is any good, but I'm thinking it's okay...

Can't wait for the glorious mess that is antichrist...

ttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i9ffdbbfa915bd89ce48a34b1d16 5313d

Dave

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   

If The Hollywood Reporter didn't like Antichrist there is hope. Don't know anything about that film though.

Regarding Drag, I just love that the central character of the movie is a loan officer who gets cursed for refusing to help an old lady with her mortgage. The housing bubble is terror itself as far as I'm concerned. Should make for good riffing if done smartly.

Lucius

Post Number: 7904
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 03:46 pm:   

Pretty much everyone didn't like it, but I can't wait for the DVD. It'll be edited in theaters here, probably.

Drag looks like toned-down raimi to me, but I'll wait and see.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   

I hope that Raimi will do a good job with Drag, but I can't shake the memories of emo-Spiderman.

Watched Traitor over the weekend. It seemed obvious where it was going from the beginning, no surprises at all. Not terrible but not especially interesting.

Jwk

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 09:38 pm:   

The guy who directed House of the Devil has a few other movies, Trigger Man and The Roost. Have you seen those Lucius?
Hopefully Antichrist will be more amusing than Von Trier's dogma efforts of the last decade or so. His early films were interesting i.e. Element of Crime, Zentropa, but he's gone off the rails.

Lucius

Post Number: 7905
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 04:57 am:   

I haven't seen other Ti West things--this screws the pooch at the end, but the first seventy, eighty minutes are worth the ride.

I agree about Von Trier, but he's talented and I'll keep watching.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:14 am:   

any word on bitch slap?

Lucius

Post Number: 7906
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   

The trailer sucks, the market screening at Cannes was not sold out, and it'll probably do well in italy....

Dave

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 09:57 am:   

No. No. No.

http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture/item/20090519_mlk_to_get_the_spielberg_trea tment/

Why? It just isn't fair, shitting on what little history we can be proud of to make a (sentimentalized) buck.

Spielberg must be stopped.

Lucius

Post Number: 7907
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 11:47 am:   

aaargh!

Jwk

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:30 am:   

Watched the French film Martrys. Really vile torture porn that makes Hostel look like an Adam Sandler movie. Ugh. Aspires to be something more too, with a cod-metaphysical ending, but just wasn't worth going through to get to it. There's an introduction from the director where he states people will hate him for making the movie, and sometimes he hates himself. Some horror fans consider this a really great movie but I found it way too excessive.

Jwk

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:33 am:   

sic, that's Martyrs. Wonder when we'll get the American remake?

Lucius

Post Number: 7911
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 11:01 am:   

Yeah, I wrote a blog post about torture porn featuring this film a few weeks back, Sure, torture is the source of true enlightenment. Uh-huh.

Jwk

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   

Found your blog entry. Yeah, the director of Martyrs is trying to dress up and justify his Hostel-like shite with a half-assed spiritual enlightenment ending. Anyway, if the sect was so curious about what is on the other side they should have just blown their own brains out in order to find out.
His next project is a remake of Hellmaker. Gulp.

Jwk

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   

Remake of Hellraiser, I meant.

Lucius

Post Number: 7912
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 03:38 pm:   

I was going to ask, what was Hellmaker? :-) Hellraiser...Wasn't one enough? I thought that sucked.

There'll always be exploitation flicks, Spenser It's human nature.

Jwk

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 08:07 pm:   

Hellmaker, lol. Damn, that sounds like a good title now. I need to write me a torture porn movie with that title. heh heh

Lucius

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 06:24 am:   

According to reviews I've seen of antiChrist, you should get Charlotte Gainsborough to act in it--after Von Trier's misogyny, she'll love being tortured.

Jwk

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 10:49 am:   

Yeah, Charlotte is probably up for anything. It must run in the family. She's the spawn of Serge, afterall.

Lucius

Post Number: 7915
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   

She won Best Actress at Cannes for Anti-Christ--I don't believe it.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 08:07 am:   

I've become largely skeptical of movies "based on a true story." In modern times, it seems to be an excuse to lie on a greater scale (see Hidalgo). It seems like we need to go back in time to find supposedly true movies that aren't complete bullshit.

I watched The Baron of Arizona, a Vincent Price movie loosely based on James Reavis. In the 1800s, he forged documents giving him claim on most of the land in Arizona. He fabricated a baroness, and found an orphaned girl to set up as the fictional woman. When she came of age, he married her so he could further his claims. The movie turned him into a more sympathetic character, who finally confesses to his crimes when he realizes he actually loves his wife. In real life, he didn't seem to have any change of heart. The movie was OK, even if it did play fast and loose with the real story (timing was changed, he wasn't the master forger he was in the film - many of his documents were badly forged).

Another semi true movie that I watched was A River Runs Through It. Apparently many details of the lives of the Macleans were changed (by Norman Maclean himself). At least it didn't claim to be true, but based on a fictional account of their lives. It's odd how a supposedly fictional tale is more true than many supposed true stories. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Great scenery.

Lucius

Post Number: 7916
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:54 am:   

Not odd at all. That's the point of creative lying or fiction writing. :-)

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   

I think I'm still bitter about Hidalgo. For something "based on a true story" about the only true thing it was there was a man named Frank Hopkins who liked horses. Everything else was fiction. And it was a crappy movie on top of that. But A River Runs Through It is fiction, yet has a lot of true things about the Maclean family. Thus the fiction is mostly true, but the "true story" is all fiction.

Lucius

Post Number: 7917
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:31 pm:   

Well, I don't get that upset because I figure history is a fiction as much as anything, But Hollywood history is irksome...

Lucius

Post Number: 7920
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:32 pm:   

I've watched a good many of the DVDs I received of films in competition at Cannes 2009. The film that won the Palme d'Or. Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon was pretty good, but I thought Jacques Audiard's prison movie, Un Prophete (a Prophet) was much better. It concerns Malik El Djebena (Tahar Rahim), tracking him from the moment he enters prison and saying nothing about why he's there--prison is the life he's living now, the past no longer matters, and for the next two and a half hours you won't think about anything else except Malik, his journey through the system, not joining any of the contending societiies in the prison, but playing them off against the other, working for himself. I've seem one of Audiard's previous fllms, The Beat That My Heart Skipped, a terrific thriller that's actually a remake of Fingers, the early Harvey Keitel film--it was excellent, but this is so much better Tahar Rahim is great as Malik, the cinematography is great, the score...Sony will be distributing it in the US. This is an awesome picture.

Another film I enjoyed won the best first feature award at Cannes: Samson and Delilah, a picture from Warwick Thornton, an amazing achievement--the story involves two teenagers, boy and girl, who live in an isolated Aboriginal community, gradually form a bond, and--ultimately rejected by their town--stead a car and go on a futile road trip, trying to escape a past they carry with them. Thornton is an incredible visual storyteller, sketching the vacancy and dead-endedness of the community in a few shots, No story about the Aboriginies can be other than political, but Thornton never rails or preaches, just lets his camera tell the tale. Neither does he resort to cheap sentiment. He lets his teenage characters earn it. Marvelous performances by Rowan MacNamara and Marissa Gibson.

I've talked up Andrea Arnold's first film, Red Road, here and elsewhere. Her second film, Fish Tank, is even beter.

There's a distinct Ken Loach vibe to Arnold's work, but she gives it her own spin. This is the story of a fifteen year old, Mia (great work by Katie Jarvis), the daughter of a too-young single mom, who's trying to find her way into adulthood. We seen this before, but Arnold's illumination of Mia's interior life is so sensitive and brilliant, you don't think of another director for long. The conflict comes in the person of the mom's new boyfriend, Michael Fassbender from last year's Hunger, but by the time you get to that point, Mia has already won you over and you're in her skin.

Jwk

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   

The Audiard and Arnold sound cool. I liked Red Road, looking forward to what she does next. Have you seen Read My Lips? That was another good one Audiard did about a deaf office worker who takes up with a thief played by Vincent Cassell.
Did you see Noe's Enter the Void or Thirst by Chan-Wook? They were entered in Cannes too.
I assume Tarantino's latest is a piece of crap.

Lucius

Post Number: 7922
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:30 am:   

Yep, saw Read My Lips. I saw Thirst. Liked i but didn't love it. Have not seen Enter The Void, but am dying it. Nor did I see Inglorious Basterds.

Thirst was just too full of expository shit and too many tonal shifts to be another Oldboy...

Dave

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:00 am:   

Because we all reeeaallly need to know how that elephant looking space jockey sitting behind the giant penis shaped periscope ended up with a chest burster in its guts:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16328

I say we take off and nuke FOX from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I mean...god *DAMN* this whole country has just jumped the fucking shark. We have no new ideas. We're just coasting on nostalgic fumes, cuddling up with re-heated childhood memories.

Lucius

Post Number: 7924
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   

gah.

Sigil23

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   

Just make sure that nuke is wide enough to take the separate news company along with it.

I thought the remake thing was bad already but you can add the Alien thing to recently touted Predator and Buffy the Vampire Slayer remakes as well. Right now I think I'd be fully in support of a complete ban of all vampire genre work in any form. Enough already!

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:01 pm:   

On one hand, retelling old stories and adapting them to current times has been going on as long as people have been telling stories. On the other hand, it seems like the new wave of remakes isn't adapting them to current times as much as simply gutting them of any relevance or meaning and just wallowing in nostalgia.

Dave

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   

As much as I hate FOX, I think I might hate the average moviegoer more. Fox, only exploits (albeit cynically) the qualities of the people who consume its products. Legions of fan boys will pay money to see this Alien remake just so they can spend hours discussing why they hated it - even though they'd already decided to hate it before seeing it. And while they discuss it they'll use words like "canon" and "continuity", but won't have any idea about why the writing of the original film was what made it great. They'll totally disregard how the writing operated on subtextual or unconscious levels. They care only about the surface of the plot and the immersiveness of the "world" they get to "visit" while passively watching the reboot. This is just plain pathological.

Reboots are a symptom. The disease is worldbuilding. Do people who don't live in corporatist consumer based societies even care about worldbuilding? Thanks to the advent of movie franchises as (profitable) intellectual properties, if you can find a patch of plot or narrative in an already existing franchise, you can be sure that moviegoers will pony up and buy tix if you can find a way to continue adding detail to the world being built.

Luke Skywalker had his colon cleansed as a child and a lightsaber came out? Film that shit and make fat stacks, man.

Dave

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:14 pm:   

Rob - point taken, but I don't think rebooting or worldbuilding is really a form of storytelling. It's a means of disociating. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought story telling was supposed to be about fostering engagement with the world or engagement with one's psychology?

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   

It would be nice is storytelling fostered engagement, but I don't think that's how many view it. To a lot of people, stories are an escape from their everyday existence. One friend, the smartest guy I know, likes movies to be dumb because it's the only time he can turn his brain off and not think about things.

You're definitely right about moviegoers. Everyone says sequels suck, yet they still watch them. If we stopped paying for them, they'd stop being made. We complain about remakes, but we still watch them.

As for world building, I think many people enjoy it because they want a world where things make sense. Since real life makes so little sense, they turn to fictional worlds hoping they can reassure them that the universe is orderly and makes sense.

Dave

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:37 pm:   

>>As for world building, I think many people enjoy it because they want a world where things make sense. Since real life makes so little sense, they turn to fictional worlds hoping they can reassure them that the universe is orderly and makes sense.

Agreed. Totally. But living life like that is so over-controlled & undignified... It's not for me.

Real life is not orderly & makes little sense & that's pretty uncomfortable at times. But that's the only honest starting point for life & art, right?

Sigil23

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:28 pm:   

I think maybe part of it as well is that we often tend to see remakes of things we saw when we were much younger and perhaps more impressionable and thus have a better opinion of it than we might had we saw it now. I mean, speaking of a recent remake, I remember seeing the original Star Trek for the most part when I was very young, just over half way through my first decade and then some. This was way before I'd ever considered Shatner hamming it up and overacting or that Ellison wrote an episode or all the aspects we piece together as asults. I know my memory of it was a lot more positive then than it was when they finally came out on DVD and I found myself at least enjoying the first season and wondering what I was thinking about 2 and 3. But perhaps some of the warm and fuzziness remains into adulthood where I can get some sort of enjoyment out of seeing a young group of actors redo the parts, while simultaneously thinking that essentially it was a really dumb plot with horrible logical inconsistencies. Of course I wouldn't confuse it with what I'd consider true/worthy/timeless art, which probably is very close to the sort of engagement Dave mentions.

Lucius

Post Number: 7925
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 07:37 pm:   

Don't hate the victims, Dave, hate the criminals The American public have been the target of an insidious marketing campain designed to drain their intellect. It's a conspiracy theory but I've been following it since the mid-90s and I know it's true.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   

I almost commented about M John Harrison in my previous post. His work was influential in my ability to get past worldbuilding.

I don't know how many media studies classes treat their subject matter, but don't assume all of them are useless. I took one in college, focusing on The Simpsons. We didn't focus on the actual content of the show, but what the show could tell us about the culture that produces it. When I apply the lessons to other pop culture, what I learn is that our culture doesn't care about meaning or story. We just care about things that make us go "Wow, that's cool." Thus we get Michael Bay and other vapid filmmakers, and people exclaiming that Independence Day was great because they liked the scene of the White House blowing up. This wasn't always the case, I'm young but I still remember when movies could have subtexts, or even a story. I'm waiting for the day when we get a movie simply titled "Explosions."

Perhaps remakes/reboots are reworking old stories for our times. Gutting of meaning seems to go along with current pop culture.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:48 am:   

There were only two enjoyable Alien films, and each subsequent one was worse than the previous. I don't think rebooting will improve things, I expect the reboot to be worse than AVP2. I don't know how, but I'm sure they'll find a way to do it.

Sigil23

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:12 am:   

"Don't hate the victims, Dave, hate the criminals The American public have been the target of an insidious marketing campain designed to drain their intellect. It's a conspiracy theory but I've been following it since the mid-90s and I know it's true."

Don't you think it's more symbiotic? I mean I think it was the guy who wrote the bio on Rupert Murdoch recently, he was asked would Murdoch create a separate new TV channel fostering a liberal side of politics, and the writer said he'd do it in a heartbeat if it would bring in the money like Fox News does. I mean as long as people want to consume the mundane, there will be some entrepreneur there to shovel it to them.

Lucius

Post Number: 7928
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:46 am:   

I think you're mistaking liberalism for intellectualism and conservatism for stupidity. Liberals are every bit as dumb as conservatives. Like now. Once they got their guy in, the liberals vacated the arena and now, as the war in Iraq plods (see the Inofrmed Comment blog) and the health care bill is being watered down and Gitmo isn't closing and all Obama's promises go out the window, what do they do? They're doing what the American left has always done--gone back to sleep.

What I'm talking about is scheme to de-brain America. Read Kein's the Shock Doctrine.

Lucius

Post Number: 7929
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 11:49 am:   

Robert, I think there was only 1 good Alien film but it was awesome. Of course a reboot won;t be as good. It'll be vacuous and ludicrous.

Sigil23

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   

No, I'm actually not mistaking either one for the other, my point was basically that people buy what they're influenced (perhaps you're saying conditioned) to want. That is, 10 million people want to listen to Rush Limbaugh, as it presses loads of buttons in the midwest and south. Not the same for, say, Olbermann or some equivalent liberal pundit, for them the audience is much smaller. But if there were, some conglomerate would be happy to make it happen. With movies there are apparently enough people who wanted to see a remake of Star Trek in that it made 55 million in the first weekend. While I don't doubt that there's a dumbing down of America, I think you can just as easily mark that as a product of human evolutionary nature (I assume you know Eric Hoffman's The True Believer?) than as a product of an actual conspiracy theory. I mean I think the jock kids beating up the nerd with the pocket protector is behavior that goes way back and marketers don't have to do a whole hell of a lot more than urge it along. Similarly, the human animal body loves sugar so it's not going to be difficult to market anything with high fructose corn syrup in it; there doesn't have to be anything conspiratorial about it.

As to the politics, I don't disagree with you in the slightest and while I haven't read the Shock Doctrine I'm familiar with other Klein writings.

Lucius

Post Number: 7930
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:00 pm:   

We're gonna have to disagree, man. While certain behaviors have gone on for a while, they have been reinforced and cultivated over the past twenty years like never before. Look at the dumbing down of CNN since it peaked during the Gulf War. I have a friend who was a producer for CNN and was there when the memo came out shortly after the war to start turning the news into a fourth grade level experience. This whole state of affairs has been manipulated into being, even on the level of subtext.

Sigil23

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:31 pm:   

OK, let me a bit more specific. When you use the term "conspiracy theory" are you just talking about the age old issue of the well off manipulating the poor via propaganda and being more successful in the modern age due to the proliferation and wider reach of the media in the age of cable TV or are we talking about a definition similar to this wikipedia one?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

We do indeed disagree if what you mean is this latter definition.

Lucius

Post Number: 7931
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:59 pm:   

Mike, by that narrow definition, we disagree, except the conspirators in this instance haven't been very secretive. I believe there has been a concerted across the board effort by the media to suppress thought and devalue intellectualism...Obviously you don't. I'll try to make a case for it when I get time....

Yeah, I do like Baudrillard. I'll have to check out Curtiss. Your friends attitude is appalling but sadly not unexpected...

Sigil23

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   

Hey, I appreciate that you'd take the time to make a case for it and will wait for that. I'm curious to see if this is more than a semantic disagreement at this point.

Lucius

Post Number: 7932
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:06 pm:   

Agreed on Outlander. I just bought a copy because I know there'll come a flu or just don't feel like working day when I'll want to watch again...

I just thought the first Alien was a perfect sci fi movie, not the greatest, but a very economical an tense script. Aliens was more what I might have expected from Hollywood..

Sigil23

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 08:39 am:   

Apparently the new Alien is going to be a prequel with the Scott brothers involved. So much of this kind of thing is like trying to catch lightning in the same place twice. So many movies are just a product of their time and if their goal is to try and do something different than all the Alien sequels that have come after it, it's still going to be a disappointment, partially because the mood and atmosphere of the original film could only come from the (late) 70s. I did like the second film, but it is a totally different beast that is responsible for hoards of horrifyingly bad military vs monster movies, including just 1/2 to 3/4 of the Sci Fi channel's movie of the week.

Lucius

Post Number: 7933
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 10:19 am:   

They'll produce, but Carl Rinsch will direct. :-(

Sigil23

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   

Watched the finale of Breaking Bad S2 last night, the last two eps in particular continued to up the stakes to Walter's fall, his standing over Jane at the end of last week's cliffhanger, passively acquiescent in her fate, all of the consequences of his actions coming to their head, the register clink of incoming donations making Walter wince ... amazing how utterly compelling and uncomfortable it has been to watch every week. A relief it's over and already I want to know if there's a third season... Cranston was great again this year but he might have been outshined by his supporting cast, just an amazing job all around.

Sigil23

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   

Had to look up Carl Rinsch on imdb, seems only a couple films to his name. It couldn't be worse than Sci Fi Wire's suggestion today that Peter Jackson helm Book of the New Sun films could it? :D

Lucius

Post Number: 7934
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:24 am:   

I got through the first Book of the new sun and stopped. I liked it allright but didn't need more--I'm not into lit puzzles and wolfe is much better at novella length, in my opinion. Seven American Nights is worth a dozen books of the new sun for me. So Jackson directing doesn't get me going. Far as I'm concerned, any decent book can only be approximated on screen.

Breaking Bad is the shit...easily the coolest show on TV...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:55 am:   

I've found unreliable narrators really annoying in movies (aside from Rashamon). I think it has to do with the idea that the camera shows the reality of the fictional world, and the unreliable narrator demonstrates that even that supposed reality is fake. It makes me feel like everything that I just watched is even more fake. Books are a different matter, more depending on execution.

I watched "The Man From Earth" last night. It seems like it was written as a play, since all the action takes place in one room. Basically a college professor is leaving and invites all his professor friends over for a goodbye celebration. During this, he claims to be an immortal cave man. Most of the movie deals with the reactions of various people, whether they humor him, think he's crazy, get angry with him, etc. I rather enjoyed the low key approach and the fact that it was a sci-fi movie done without any special effects or budget.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 11:26 am:   

Add one more "what are they thinking?" remake to the pile: a planned remake of Total Recall.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 01:48 pm:   

I suppose this contains spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched Fight Club or The Usual Suspects. But I doubt anyone here isn't versed in both films.

I thought Fight Club was a good example of an unreliable narrator. Norton was crazy and really thought he was talking to Tyler, but he was just talking to himself. It was nice that they didn't interact with the same person at the same time. I figured it out at the start, so I viewed the whole movie through the expectation that he had multiple personalities. It gave me the impression that just cutting Pitt out of the scene would reveal the reality of the scene.

Contrast that with The Usual Suspects, which I'm mostly alone in hating. So many think it's really clever because they didn't see the twist coming. I instead view it as not very clever. It's just Kevin Spacey sitting around and lying. Nothing we saw on screen was reliable, all of it could have been just a story he told.

Lucius

Post Number: 7935
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   

Total R<ecall could be OK, because the original wasn't all that. But you know it won't be okay.

Thanks, mike.

yeahm I liked Fifth head, too...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   

It's probably better to remake a bad movie and try to make it good, but I feel like Recall will start with a bad movie and make it worse.

Jwk

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:27 am:   

Watched Charlie Kaufman's Synechdoche, New York. Jesus, what a smug, self-indulgent piece of shit made by an insufferable, overrated fuckwit. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:04 am:   

The entire concept of Fight Club was unbelievable, so I was able to suspend disbelief over elements within the movie. I think the only non-ridiculous idea was that Ed Norton would buy his furniture at Ikea.

Never had interested in Synechdoche, NY.

Lucius

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 08:00 am:   

JK, ditto on Synechdouche...

Thought FC was just a total misfire...

And yeah, Robert, I'm sure Recall will reek.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 09:30 am:   

I really remember nothing about American Beauty except a few images, most notably the bag floating on the wind. I remember enjoying it, but since I can't remember it, it obviously didn't make much of an impression.

I've been enjoying the fluff of BBC's Primeval. Prehistoric monsters running amok around London. I've also been impressed with some of the choices they made, most recently killing the central character. They've now brought in Jason Flemyng as the replacement leader, which I enjoy. He's one of those actors who people have seen everywhere, but rarely remember. He had the misfortune of being in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but was the only cast member who seemed to care about acting in the film. The rest were just reading lines.

Sigil23

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 10:44 am:   

I like Primeval too, although it can be almost painfully corny and is by far the worst looking televison program on my Samsung, I assume due to the PAL HD>NTSC SD downconverting. But there's something innately childlike about it and British TV seems to be getting that right a lot these days. And believe it or not, we can add it to the list of remakes, it's gotten picked up for a US movie which is almost guaranteed to be even worse than the Jurassic Park movies. I think the British Primeval could even get better if they dropped the "dinosaur of the week" theme and took a different approach to it at least once.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 11:12 am:   

I saw that about a film version. It's not like the show is great television, it's just a fun monster show. But I'm sure the fun part will be removed with the US movie.

Lucius

Post Number: 7939
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 06:29 am:   

I wish I didn't remember American Beauty,

Is Primeval that Syfy thing?

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 06:56 am:   

They're running it on syfy now, BBC America is showing the current season.

Lucius

Post Number: 7940
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:24 am:   

Oh, ok. Thanks. Haven't seen any of it.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 03:54 pm:   

Seen GFE? Seems weird to watch Sasha Grey clothed and unpenetrated.

Lucius

Post Number: 7941
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 04:57 pm:   

No, I wasn't interested. Definitely disinterested in seeingmore Soderbergh.

Lucius

Post Number: 7945
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 06:50 am:   

Watching tons of Brit tv recently: The Street, Trial and Retribution. both very very good...

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 08:56 am:   

Lucius,

I was wondering if you could review my acting chops in an issue of F&SF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaxKOi2dldY

My prior credits include such roles as "Luke Reed" in The Alien Encounters.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 06:54 am:   

Next year, there will be 10 movies nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. Is there a reason beyond marketing? I.e. more films can now claim "nominated for Best Picture" in their marketing materials. It may help on some films, but with more nominated it will feel like any Hollywood film that isn't insanely stupid will get nominated and the nomination won't mean anything anymore (not like it means much now). Are they deliberately trying to make themselves more irrelevant?

Huw

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 09:55 pm:   

Patagonia sounds fabulous. I've never been to South America, but have always wanted to go. Look out for people speaking Welsh, Lucius! I hear there are still descendants of my forebears who settled in Patagonia ages ago...

Lucius

Post Number: 7952
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:11 pm:   

Well, HUW, as I'm flying back tomorrow, I'm probably safe. Too bad. I could deal with with some English speakers. Patagonian Spanish is rough.

Lucius

Post Number: 7953
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 08:16 am:   

Hello....hello...hello....is there anybody in there.

I had to see Blood, this crappy vampire flick from japan. COuple of good action scenes, that's about it...

Jwk

Post Number: 469
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 10:53 am:   

I saw Cronenberg is going to remake the Spanish film Timecrimes. Why bother?
Lucius, have you seen any films by British director Pete Walker? He did some low-budget horror movies in the late 60's and 70's. Not exactly good, but sort of entertaining in a cheesy way. House of Whipcord, Die Screaming Marianne, Frightmare, stuff like that. House of Whipcord is a hoot, about a secret group dedicated to punishing "immoral women."

Lucius

Post Number: 7954
Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 01:28 pm:   

Cronenberg's in his full-on hack phase.

I think I saw Die Screaming Marianne but can't really recall it. Have not seen House of Whipcord.

I think there are three Death Note live action movies taken from the anime, which is take from a manga. Haven't seen them...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:31 am:   

Timecrimes is near the to of my rental queue, no interest in seeing a remake. Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to do a remake before the original is even out. Will that break some sort of law of physics and end up destroying Hollywood?

No notable films for me recently. Aside from Up, which in Pixar tradition is much better than anything else Hollywood is putting out.

Lucius

Post Number: 7955
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:33 am:   

I quite enjoyed TImecrimes.

Maybe remakes should be done simultaneously. alternate movies instead of alternate endings.

Lucius

Post Number: 7956
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 05:44 am:   

Paranormal activity was awesome. Don't know if I can stand the remake.

Sigil23

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 09:03 am:   

My favorite movie news of the week came when I heard the Atari game Asteroids was optioned for a movie. You know the game with the lavish back story and plot where you blast rocks to bits, try to avoid them and the occasional flying saucer that rides across a screen. Cue lavish special effects as the scene goes Matrix slow as our beleagured hero throws his triangle ship too and fro just barely missing glowing fragments of rocks. And I guess this means we'll be getting Pong soon....

Lucius

Post Number: 7957
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   

And PacMan

Sigil23

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 07:43 am:   

I can't think of a good video game movie adaptation off the top of my head, although I'm slightly interested to see what they will do with Biosphere which has some potential I'm sure will be squandered.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 09:00 am:   

I think Mortal Kombat was the high water mark for video game adaptations, and it wasn't very good.

Lucius

Post Number: 7958
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   

I liked Doom better than Mortal Kombat. But then I like the Rock. Pretty fair comic actor.

Sigil23

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 04:08 pm:   

Never saw MK but I though Doom was painfully bad, but at the same time it's only fleetingly like the video game(s). Naturally the producers stripped out all the demonic imagery, pentagrams, the trips to hell and the like, all the stuff that made it "controversial" in the first place. Course that's not to say the video games were exactly brimming with story, plot and character, but the movie was just another bad Aliens knock off, lotsa red shirt marines getting mauled.

Lucius

Post Number: 7960
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 06:34 am:   

Yeah, well, Doom was shite, but we're talking context here.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 06:26 pm:   

Moon opened in Pittsburgh this week, I enjoyed it. With a nice story and small budget, it was a lot better than many big budget sci-fi films with a non-existent story.

Lucius

Post Number: 7962
Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:33 pm:   

It was cool, huh? I really like Rockwell. I guess Jones wants to do some cyberpunk thing next. Hope he pulls it off.

Dave

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 07:05 am:   

Hi all. Long time no post. Sorry, I got absolutely burried under a mountain of work after I started complaining about the Alien reboot a ways back.

Anyway...

Lucius, dig it, man: you are not the only voice of reason any more (but I liked your post on MJ better).

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/07/13-1

I saw Dead Snow recently. Lots of fun.

Also saw The Burrowers. Criminal that it didn't get a theatrical release. I really, really liked this movie. A gem.

Also, the new Torchwood miniseries is very good. Not as good as the hype says it is, but way better than RTD's usual fair.

Might go to see Moon or Hurt Locker this week.

Lucius

Post Number: 7963
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 08:38 am:   

Both Moon and Hurt Locker are good choices.

Re: MJ, it didn't take a genius to see that one. Joe jackson is now hunting for the "real killer." Oh me oh my.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 11:55 am:   

Rockwell was good in it, he pulled off two different sorts of craziness. He was good in Galaxy Quest too. I think Hitchhiker's Guide is the only other thing I've seen him in.

Lucius

Post Number: 7964
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 11:58 am:   

Safe Men with steve zahn and rockwell is funny.

Lucius

Post Number: 7965
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 09:15 am:   

I like the Blog Infrormed Content, which focuses on the Middle East. Taibbi is good,tho.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 09:55 am:   

Is that the one by Juan Cole?

Lucius

Post Number: 7966
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 02:25 am:   

That's the one..

Jwk

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:45 am:   

Watched an interesting Danish movie called Just Another Love Story, a neo-noir about a photographer who witnesses a car crash, then goes to the hospital to check on a girl in the crash, and impersonates her boyfriend to get into the hospital room. He takes a shine to her and takes over the boyfriend's identity, but things spiral out of control as we learn her real boyfriend is a psycho. Pretty cool movie.

Lucius

Post Number: 7967
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 06:16 am:   

Huh. Haven't seen that. Sounds great.

Nothing but shite here....but I'll get this one.

Dave

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:06 am:   

Head's up Lucius:

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/21/despite_pledge_to_cut_military_ties

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/21/from_arbenz_to_zelaya_chiquita_in

Some good news coverage on the situation in Honduras if you're interested.

You got any inside scoop on this?

Lucius

Post Number: 7968
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:10 pm:   

The people down there I've talked to have nothing to add--they're just nervous as shit.

I'd like to post these links on my blog, if you don't mind.

Dave

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 06:07 am:   

By all means, post away.

Lucius

Post Number: 7969
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 07:29 am:   

I talked to a friend in Trujillo last night after seeing these links. Trujillo is a long way ffrom Teguz, but she said that the local garrison has been reinforced and he prison guards have been seen in conference with the soldiers, something that usually doesn't occur--the two faction being of different classes. Not good signs.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 09:49 am:   

Sorry I've been away for a while...

JWK, I am guessing I am the board expert -- by default, to be sure -- on Pete Walker. THE COMEBACK, with lounge singer Jack Jones, is an OK way to pass the time, but dull. Fans of genre/fetish/exploitation cinema will have a "cracking" good time with HOUSE OF WHIPCORD, which features an "evil" French heroine who looks like Brigitte Bardot, a fiendish staff kidnapper named Mark E. DeSade, and the always marvelous Walker regular Sheila Keith as a sadistic cell block matron. I would also recommend FRIGHTMARE (usually sold as FRIGHTMARE II, to avoid confusion with the Ferdy Mayne movie). As low-budget slice-and-dicers go, this one is pretty high-grade, with the always-spooky Keith as the potential mother-in-law from hell, an ex-cannibal/fortune teller who proves that old habits die hard. Quite harrowing, actually. Sorry to say, I have not seen THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW.

Hope this helps.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 09:58 am:   

On the subject of Matt Taibbi, even if he is an ass (about which I have no opinion), his RS piece on Goldman Sachs was really really good. It's the kind of long-dormant "thought" that need provoking around here (meaning America, not this board...).

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:05 am:   

Rob, have you seen THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES...Rockwell does a nice turn in that, particularly near the end when Charlie Ford goes psycho.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:15 am:   

Apologies in advance:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/166239/55_movie_remakes_currently_in_the_works.h tml

My sole current reasons for enduring this belching, white-trash demolition derby of the soul that is earthy existence are ROSE MCGOWAN AS RED SONJA...AND BARBARELLA!

Jwk

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:20 am:   

Yeah, House of Whipcord is pretty entertaining, in a low-budget, sub-Hammer, 70's exploito-horror way. I liked Frightmare too. I watched The Flesh and Blood Show the other week, a group of actors get together in a theater to rehearse a play, and are picked off. Not very good. The only thing to recommend it are numerous 70's chicks getting nekkid.
Die Screaming Marianne was ok too, Susan George is in that one.
Haven't seen The Confessional, Schizo, or Home Before Midnight, yet.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 11:39 am:   

I got bored and never finished the Assassination of Jesse James.

Sam Raimi is going to be doing a Warcraft movie. When has a video game film ever been a good idea? This, along with Spider-Man 3, has killed any interest I had in Raimi.

Lucius

Post Number: 7971
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 01:25 pm:   

Drag Me to Hell, his "comeback" to horrror, killed mine.

Dave

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 01:34 pm:   

>>Drag Me to Hell, his "comeback" to horrror, killed mine.

Oh no! It was bad?

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:58 pm:   

I didn't get around to seeing Drag yet, although I recall reading mostly bad things about it (at least from people that I have vague trust in).

Lucius

Post Number: 7972
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 05:19 pm:   

Yeah, it was more comedy than horror, and not very funny. Basically it was just a gross-out.

Dave

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 06:54 am:   

>>Yeah, it was more comedy than horror, and not very funny. Basically it was just a gross-out.

Oh well. We still have Evil Dead.

Regarding your report from Trujillo...that's pretty spooky.

Also, an observation from the Inferior 4 site: Your post about movie remakes has 118 comments currently. Your post about Honduras has 16 comments.

*Sigh*

Lucius

Post Number: 7973
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 07:11 am:   

Oh yeah, that's always the way it is. But my blog isn't a political blog. I could do a political blog about Latin America, maybe, but not with the I4. It would be so much work, though, and there's people way more qualified. I'd rather work in other ways. But I try to post something political of weeks and it generally gets ignored.

They're remaking the evil dead. :-(

Trujillo is nothing if not spooky.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 08:25 am:   

Hollywood is too easy of a whipping boy. I'm growing bored of anti-Hollywood and anti-remake complaints because they're just too numerous and nothing ever seems to come about due to them. The same crap and remakes keep appearing. I think back to a point Lucius has made before: talking about Hollywood and treating it seriously doesn't change anything. Ignoring it doesn't change anything. Is there a way to try to get watchable movies out of Hollywood, or should we just give up and focus on foreign films?

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:01 am:   

Tango w/o Brando is silly, but Back to School w/o Rodney is downright psychotic.

What kills me are things like Stigmata 2. Did anybody even see the first one? From whence comes this demand for a sequel?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |