Late night BS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Late night BS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:32 am:   

So as we enter this period of "national mourning," I see they're going to bundle up Ronald Reagan's remains and let him lie around the Reagan library for a while, then ship him off to DC for a public viewing, then a caisson ride around the capital while a thousand reporters look grave and trot out their favorite memories of ol' Dutch, then back to Cali for a sunset burial...WIth all this touring, I'm thinking why not a stopover in Central America for a ritual ripping-apart-by-dogs. Somewhere in my storage unit I have an old FMLN poster from Salvador that shows his face superimposed over a skull--I may haul it out for display, so I can remember the good old days down in Morazon Province when the Reagan White House-funded death squads were slaughtering women and children, and those days in Bluefields, Nicaragua when his "freedom fighters" were winning one for the Gipper by killing off social workers and schoolteachers so as to destroy the evil infrastructure of the Sandanistas...The glory days of Iran-Contra. All we're gonna hear the next few days is how he restored America's optomism. "He was a man without guile." "He was comfortable in his own skin." He always made people feel better." "In the White House, you always knew he was coming when you heard his entourage laughing at his jokes." This is a testimonial, the laughter of yes men? Of course he was happy--he was an idiot, the most prominent in a line of idiot presidents; he was George Bush with better hair. What crap! We're pretty goddamn optomistic these days, huh? There's a guy on TV right now saying, "He never lied to the American public--he didn't know about trading arms for hostages." As if this was a virtue. If course he didn't know. Again, he was an idiot. He didn't win the Cold War, he was a figurehead. He used to fall asleep during meetings when he was the governor of California, and that was a practice he carried on when he became president. To my mind, as far as the things I care about go, this old fart was the fucking anti-Christ. Death's Republican Uncle, that's what a poet friend of mine in San Salvador used to call him. I don't get gleeful that he's dead, but mourn him? A politician? No thanks.

Seventh game of a Stanley Cup final. Is there anything better in sports? Don't think so. Even if you don't like hockey, you gotta watch this.

Watched Oscar de la Hoya steal another win thanks to lousy Las Vegas judging. By my scorecard, he lost to non-entity Felix Sturm 8 rounds to 4, but to lose in Vegas, Oscar would have to die in the ring, and even that might not do it. Bad decisions are just about to kill boxing and de la Hoya has been the recepient of more than his share. It really sucks when you know before the fight starts that the house guy is going to win.

Nels
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:37 am:   

RE: Reagan.

I see your point, and I dread the day that Thatcher dies. If it arrives during the fucking football tournament the amount of tributes will be so deafening, I might have to move to somewhere rather less partisan, like Tierra Del Fuego. *Tries to think of something pertinent to say about the deification of prominent public figures after they bite the big one*

Golden Bollocks: Yeah, I didn't even bother ordering the PPV for this one. Sturm needed to knock Oscar down in every round to get a decision; Hopkins was going to beat Mr Allen 8 times out of ten (with the other two ending in disqualification either way; they'd all be ugly...). Though I was almost swayed by the prospect of Castillo and Lazcano beating each other to pieces...

Take care.

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:18 am:   

Lucius: Yeah, Ronny? Get me a box of tissues. Now I can't watch tv for a fucking week, because I just can't deal with the horse shit coming down the pike about what a great guy he was. Even on the damn sprots channels when I was trying to find a score for the Yankee game yesterday they had a whole show of him throwing out balls at different games. This morning on the news, they had a piece about his HUMOR, how humor in washington can be nitro, but it was always smooth in the hands of a Master like Ronny. He was as funny as a screen door on a sub. This rubber head gave the country a fucking over it still hasn't recovered from.
Somebody tell me when it's over.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

Don't start! Even the TV here in the Low Lands is being flooded with good ol' mister LETS PUMP UP THE WAR INDUSTRY SO THE DOLLAR'S GONNA BE SO EXPENSIVE THE DEFICIT WILL SKY_ROCKET NEXT TO THE GOOD OLD STARWARS SHIELD....

I hate being in a submissive country... blah!!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:50 am:   

Nels, yeah, Oscar bites man. I watched with frriends. so we split the PPV five ways -- my main reason for watching was to see the lightweight bout between Castullo and Lezcano, which gave good weight. The Hopkins, we all knew, would be another walk in the park for Hopkins. But Sturm....that was surprising. He completely controlled Oscar, who looked soft, with his jab and, in the view of ringsiders, most TV viewers, et al, won handily. Poor guy. Fights the fight of his life and what's he get?

Thatcher die? Hmmm. Think that can happen? Those pacts with Moloch and Beelzebub, have they run their term? I doubt it'll be as loud and incessant as the DIana woe, but yeah, here's hoping, for y'alls sake, it happens on New Year's Eve when no one will notice.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

Jeff, I bet the air comptrollers are busting out the champagne, huh. The media in this country needs to have its mouth wiped out with lye, for all the runny crap they're about to let flow on us. Times like this....well, like Deborah is prone to say, Grrr. I hated that guy worse than Nixon...

Cornelis, well this is a submissive country, too, at least as regards the majority of its populace. People simply don't give a shit. So I hear ya.

Well, off to start my own Reagan tribute. I've got firends stuffing dog crap into little sacks that we can set afire and I'm awaiting a tape of The Great Communicator's last irrational mumbling to pipe over loudspeakers...Should be fun.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   

Grrr is right. I remember going to the '81 Innauguration with the NOW contigent to try to say we feminists weren't going to give up...it was the most depressing fucking protest I ever attended...definitely a feeling that a Dark Age was decending and we'd be lucky to survive...little did we know. Grrr.

Light one them sacks for me, huh, L.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:48 pm:   

Wilco, FG... :-)

I've been listening to that tribute stuff all day. The best can be said about Reagan is that he was the first American president whose essential job was spokesmodel.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   

I sincerely hope that "FG" doesn't stand for "Feminist Girl" because if it does, you know I'm going to have to kick yer ass.

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   

You'd prefer, FW or something? Then why not PW?

Oh-oh! Ass-kicking talk. You been training?

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:05 pm:   

You're not patronizing me, are you? Cuz that's a one-way ticket to a hurtin' that is.

Don't let the smiley face fool you.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   

Hmmm....A hurtin'. Like the song says, if you can't be with the one you wanna hit, hit the one you;re with...

Screee!

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:12 pm:   

Wilco, IB.

I'll see what I can do.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   

Coolest.

You're a postin' PG tonight!

ml
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:25 am:   

America has Alzheimers.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Well, yeah, then there's that. Amnesia, at the least.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:07 am:   

Occasionally, Reagan got off an amusing one-liner that lightened up those dull, dull, presidential speeches. But, overall, it's hard not to agree that the relentless beatification, led by Fox, is hard to bear. And the very considerable downsides of his administration: the appointee resignations under ethical clouds, the Central American butchery, the evisceration of organized labor, are going to be very conveniently forgotten for a very long time. But the same could have been said about Nixon, the most disgraced president in American history, who was transformed by death into a foreign policy sage and master statesman. S.O.P. for our media, unfortunately. Nothing becomes a public life quite like the leaving of it.

Didn't see the Oscar card. Couldn't justify plumping $50 for those lousy bouts. I saw the HBO commercial for the replay and ODLH looked quite beaten up. Lampley's V.O. hyped the fact that Oscar "reached down" and pulled out a tough victory. My reaction, like those of most viewers, was "reached down?" Against Felix Sturm? The Executioner must be licking his chops. Like you say, Oscar would have to be bashed into pulp to lose a decision in Vegas.

For my money, hockey is still the most entertaining sport. And games 5 and 6 of this series, which noone is watching due to the presence of two tiny-market teams, were amazing. And just for good measure, we have that essential whiff of controversy, with the NHL botching the call on the blown Gelinas "goal." It would be a real shame if hockey went the way of the dodo next year; hopefully, they can ramp down salaries and ticket prices and salvage some kind of a league going forward. My office is a block from where the Caps play and I would miss the chance to see my Rangers twice a year.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:46 am:   

I agree that hockey is the most entertaining sport and, surprisingly, ABC is doing a decent job televising the final. I haven't watched the sport much lately, because I can't stand the American coverage. I miss the Hockey Night in Canada casts.

Saturday's fights turned out to be a very good card. The Castillo fight was all action, and it wasn't just that Oscar was bad, Sturm can fight. He's a tough guy with a great jab and strong. Not a big puncher, but he'd be a problem for anyone. Yeah, I like Hopkins, but he's slipping too. Frankly, I doubt this fight will come off. I believe Oscar will choose the better part of valor.

As for who was worse, Nixon or Reagan, God, what a choice! Like having to choose between toe jam and ball sweat. Right now, I'm just getting back in touch with how much I hate Reagan. Living in Central America during the late 70s, early 80s, it got real personal.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:56 am:   

I thought it was surprising and depressing that NBC grabbed the right to telecast NHL next season and paid $0 for an upfront rights fee. Tom Boswell likened it to the deal the Arena Football League gets.

It would be a serious shame if hockey crashed and burned. But the league has been mismanaged under Gary Bettman. Larry O'Brien's success with the NBA made all the other leagues pie-eyed. Dumb overexpansion, leading to bidding wars for players and overinflated salaries, leading to absurd ticket prices and the alienation of core fans. I used to go to 7-8 games a year, but now I go to maybe 1 or 2. With top tickets over $100, who can afford it?

Much as I hate to say it, they need to cap payrolls and ticket prices, and trim the league by 6-8 teams. With almost everyone in the league losing money, it's time to trim things back dramatically. Much as I hate to say it, I would ditch teams like the Capitals, who have a very weak fan base. Maybe create a league that looks like the NHL c. 1975, with two conferences, and maybe a squad like the Lightning taking the place of the Oakland Seals.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:18 am:   

Yeah, NBC will screw it up. The commish, Gary whozits, is a putz. When I was a kid, I got to see one season of the old six-team NHL, and I've never since seen anything like that in sports. The teams played each other thirteen times a year, were packed with all-star quality players. Bob Gainey, now in the HOF, was on the fourth line of the Canadiens, for instance. And they hated each other. The final that year was between Toronto and Montreal, the ultimate NHL rivals, and it was fucking amazing. Jacques Plante, the first goalie to wear a face mask, was in the nets for Toronto, and Gump Worsley was the Montreal Goalie. Bobby Ban, a Leaf defenseman, played the last two periods of Toronto's final game win on a fractured leg. I was a Floiida boy, and I'd never seen hockey before. The next year they expanded. It wasn't ever as great again. Though the Canadian-Russian series in the early 70s with Paul Henderson and SIttler and Esposito and et al was pretty great.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:12 am:   

Interesting match-up: The first goalie to wear a mask vs. the last goalie to refuse to wear one.

Of course, hockey purists would love to see it scaled back to the Original 6, but I believe it could still be a pretty amazing league with 14-16 teams.

The real magic of hockey is as a live experience. The game just doesn't translate at all on television, which is why its fan base is so small. Unfortunately, by pricing the damn thing out of the range of families, the league is ensuring that the next generation will never get the fever. Good strategy.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:18 am:   

IHave you ever seen Hockey Night in Canada? They manage to do it just fine. And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a 16 team league. Having a team in Columbus is ridiculous.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:49 am:   

Never saw HNC, but I was in Montreal last September and got to watch a lot of hockey chat on their version of ESPN. (Apparently, former Bruins coach Don Cherry is a big deal up there, and something of a "character.") Very entertaining. Columbus is kind of ridiculous. San Jose and Phoenix are beyond ridiculous. What a shame it would be if overexpansion took down the whole league. It's shameful enough that so many Canadian franchises have gone under trying to keep up with their richer American neighbors.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:58 am:   

Well, Hockey Night in Canada knows how to televize hockey. You'll have to take my word for it until you see for yourself. It's not like being there, but they manage to convey a lot of the excotement and the speed of the game. When I first started watching HNiC, Cherry was not a part of the show. He's an asshole. But the game itself, they do well.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:51 am:   

At least US TV has stopped doing those idiotic special effects "trails" to help dimwits follow the puck. That was the most ludicrious thing I've ever seen. Hockey is tough because the needed field of vision is so wide. In a live setting, you can watch a play develop be seeing 180 degrees of ice. Because the camera has no peripheral vision, you miss a lot (what are the defensemen doing while the forwards forecheck along the boards? can they hit the player leaving the penalty box with a breakaway pass while the other team is unprepared?). TV spends too much time in close-ups, on the two or three players scrapping along the boards, while the rest of the play develops, entirely out of sight.

Bruce
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Go Flames!

Like most Canadians my age, I remember the unbelievable hockey of the sixties, particularly the endless Toronto-Montreal grudge matches, and of course the brilliant '72 Canada-Soviet series. The expansion to twelve teams certainly began the dilution of the talent pool, but it was still possible for a team to cohere around a nucleus of great players: the Flyers, the Islanders and lastly the Oilers. With thirty teams there's not a chance of a dynasty happening and end-to-end hockey seems a thing of the distant past.

I know what you mean concerning the death of Canadian hockey. Even westerners felt bad for the Quebecois when the Nordique moved to Denver and immediately won the cup. Losing Winnipeg sucked big time as well, and Ottawa looks to be next on the plank. Fortunately, this playoff run of Calgary's will rescue the team, and people in Edmonton have long memories of their glory days, so that franchise should have some staying power.

...and yes, amazingly, Don Cherry is a big deal up here, precisely because he's an opinionated asshole! Can't be because of his fashion sense.

I lived in Spokane during the early '80's and am aghast, but hardly surprised, with Reagan's deification. One thing I recall from that time was the absolute stupidity of SDI. Wasn't there anyone in the government that wasn't completely credulous? None of the staff or students I spoke with in engineering or physics classes believed such a pipe dream could actual work, nor could anyone see a mythical trillion-dollar space-based excimer laser platform negating Soviet subs a few miles off-shore, or trawlers with a few megatons below decks docked in American ports, or smaller weapons trundled over the border in vans a la Joe Haldeman's 'To Howard Hughes: A Modest Proposal'.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

Yep. Hockey on Fox was the worst! And Cherry, him and his hideous dog -- Yow. Six-team NHL was unbelievable hockey. And I've already spoken my piece on Reagan. I hope he's in hell.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   

So, here's to a quick end to the labor strife, and a new 30-team NHL featuring the Scottsdale Maple Leafs, the Orlando Canadiens and the Taos Oilers! C'est magnifique! :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   

But seriously, folks, one of the things I truly regret is never seeing a game at one of the great old hockey palaces of Canada. In 1979, I attended a Nordiques game (why didn't I buy that jersey???) at Le Colisee, but, as I recall, that was kind of a pit. I wish I had a chance to visit the Forum or Maple Leaf Gardens. When I was last in Montreal, an acquaintance of a friend of mine told me the sad story that the Forum was now an empty mall where nobody shopped. Sigh...To get on my soapbox again for a minute, I have to believe that the loss of those great old arenas is also a by-product of hockey overexpansion, with franchises pressured to erect these ugly corporate-box-revenue-generating monstrosities to replace the older, grander arenas.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   

Arenas go. I miss 'em too, but it's the way of the world. If not, then Boston Garden would still be around. Sports is about the bottom line, like anything else, and it's really never been any different.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   

It's funny. Of all the Bostonians I know, I have not heard one peep of nostalgia for the old Garden, which was kind of a shithole. The dive bars on Causeway St. are still there; the parquet was moved to the Fleet Center, so all you lost was a crummy building.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:38 pm:   

Well, anyway, it served my point...Personally I liked the place. Watched a lot of Bruin games there.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:45 pm:   

Saw much grappling there, WWF and NWA. Had some good times. I guess the grotty environment may have combined with the cheesy appear of wrestling to flavor the experience. But it's hard for a Rangers fan to get too teary-eyed about Boston Garden...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   

Not teary-eyed. Just had fun there. If you want me teary-eyed, we'll have to talk about something beside stadiums.

Billc
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:58 pm:   

"But seriously, folks, one of the things I truly regret is never seeing a game at one of the great old hockey palaces of Canada."

Maple Leaf Gardens was a cinder block pit thrown together in less than than a year during the thirties. The Forum was recycled from something else - was it a roller skate park???. None of the aura of the venues came from the buildings, they were nothing special, but from the events that had happened there. The memories of the events gave the buildings a depth, a history that goes far beyond the walls, floor and roof. Walk in the door and the history hits you. Thirty, sixty years worth of sweat and adrenaline comes from the pictures on the walls, the gondola at MLG, the sweat off the cinder blocks, the intangibles. You can't buy that for $150 a chair and Dom Perignon can't beat a beer and a hot dog - or a pogo.

The individuality, the team. That's what hockey has lost. Can you relate to Gordie Howe as a New England (Hartford) Whaler? Could you see Maurice Richard in anything but bleue, blanc, rouge? Expansion, free agency and the profit only attitude has killed hockey. Kids play with the idea of making a ton of money rather than for fun. It's all organised and directed at making the "big league". There's no fun, no heart and no joy.

And yes, I am bitter. And I can't afford to even take my kids to see a game or two a year, which really pisses me off.

Rich Patterson
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:02 pm:   

Shit, I wish I we had the NFL playoffs here in China. Back home in Niagara Falls, I used to go to games in Toronto and Buffalo (especially when they were playing Montreal - there was a great rivalry there). There’s nothing like seeing a game live. Hey, was it FOX that decided they were going to put a computer generated trail on the puck? Thought they'd attract viewers challenged by the game’s speed by helping them spot the puck at any moment. That was the weirdest. I remember sports fan Dennis Hopper's comment at the time... said it didn't bother him, He'd been seeing trails on the puck for years :-).

barth
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:18 pm:   

back to reagan?

i've been telling people for years about "rex 84" - reagan's nasty bit of legislation (was it legislation?) which would have allowed for concentration camps, the round-up of dissidents, and deportation of "criminals" - all in prep for an invasion of nicaragua.

i felt sure at the time it wasn't conspiracy theory wankery since reagan was stoking the cold war hysteria of his youth. but can anybody back me up on this one?

true or false, i believe reagan's innovative adventures in "government" were important groundwork for the patriot act.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:10 pm:   

Rex 84....Don't know about it, but don't doubt it. I do know a lot about Battalion 316, the Honduran death machine that Reagan funded back in the day, and I know about a lot of other shit he pulled down in Central America. I know about the so-called "military advisors" in El Salvador who oversaw and provided air support for war crime level atrocities in Morazan Province. I know about the "freedom fighters," the contras, spooks and ex-Somocistas, who kidnapped teenagers in Salvador, broke their brains and turned them into snipers and sent them into Nicaragua.

Domestically, when I was living in NYC during the Reagan years, all the crack dealers in my neighbood, their T-shirt of choice was the JUST SAY NO shirt. The War on Drugs. That worked. I can't wait for this week to be over.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:12 pm:   

Rich, that was Fox with the blue streak (or red streak.) As for China, things keep going the way they are, the NFL and the NBA will be over there ere long.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:13 pm:   

Bill C, wento MLG once. I don't care how shitty a building it was, I loved it. Sittler had a hat trick.

Rich P.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:23 pm:   

Oops. I meant NHL. Lots of NBA games are televised here. It's huge. Work stops nationwide when Yao Ming is on the tube.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:44 pm:   

Yeah, I meant they'll probably have a team in Beijing..... :-)

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

Actually, coming from CT, I could relate to Gordie as a Whaler. True, he was a shadow of his former self, but he was a terrific goodwill ambassador for hockey to a city with a lotta nuthin' to cheer for. He was older, but he was still a tough, steady player. I wonder whatever happened to Nick Fotiu? Christer Abrahamson? Tommy Webster? Man, I loved those Whalers...The WHA was good hockey! Bring back the AVCO trophy!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

Love those Whalers? Gordie Howe should have retired a Wing.

You remember that noise Lurch used to make on "The Addams Family" when he was distressed by something? Kind of a shuddery groan? I'm making it now.

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

Lucius, try growing up in a Dullsville like Central CT. When presented with a living legend to cheer for, you would definitely not quibble about whether his best days were behind him...From a scholarly perspective, you're certainly right. From a nostalgic fan's perspective, not so.

Y'know what makes me make the Lurch noise? Remembering my teenage years, driving around from McDonald's to Hardee's to KFC with nothing to do.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:56 am:   

Dave, every home town is Dullsville. I grew up in Daytona Beach Florida, a place designated as un-dull by many of our nation's youth, but for me it was Peoria. Driving between burger joints is SOP for Daydream Nation. Not that I didn't have fun, but I made the fun happen. DB wasn't a carnival of lights for a 15 year old.

This has nothing to do with a scholarly perspective. When Ned Harkness came to coach the Wings with his bullshit collegiate rules and drove the Howes out, the whole town felt it. Gordie Howe was Detroit the way Joe Louis was Detroit before him, When he left, everybody who was even peripherally into sports felt gutshot.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:20 am:   

The D-Day memorial, The G-8 sunmit, the Reagan's Dead Love-in, man, I am heartily sick of the gigantic, patriotic faked orgasm.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:37 pm:   

Hockey Night in Canada is the only competent broadcast of hockey, but even then, can't compare to watching live hockey, the best sport to watch in person in terms of catching the essense and quality of the game. Of course, I haven't been in years because of the prices. (I was watching the defunct IHL back in the day.)
It is a real shame the NHL has mucked it up so bad.

As for Reagan, UGH!
1) I just hope he's not running hell when I finally land there.
2) The War on Drugs: the only success they had was against marijuana, since it was easy for them to find bulk shipments as well as detecting fields from the air at night with IR (destroying many a profitable farm in West Virginia), thereby driving up the price to such a point that it became valuable enough for dealers to kill each other over it, thereby earning it the label of "gateway" drug. Of course, cocaine just became cheaper and nastier in the form of crack. Way to go, Nancy.
Or to borrow a phrase from the Flintstone Kids Just Say No Special, "Not only does it mess up your body and your mind, it makes it so you can't even think straight." Sounds like the Republican Party to me . . .

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:01 pm:   

Yup, agree about HNC.

Agree about Reagan. It's like everyone's got amnesia about this guy. If they're letting people file past his coffin, they should have another line where you can piss on the damn thing.

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:42 am:   

I'm jealous of towns with minor-league hockey teams. Some of the quality, most of the excitement, all of the fun at about half the price. A better deal than paying $100+ to watch the eviscerated Capitals roster.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

Slap Shot!!! Greatest sports movie of all time. I used to watch a lot of minor league hockey when I was in the music business, mostly on TV, but it was great...

Toledo Goaldiggers....yeah!

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

I'm still kicking myself for not taking advantage of the New Haven Nighthawks when I had the chance.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:16 am:   

Man, i have seen some of the funniest fucking hockey games in places like Muskegon and Grand Rapids and so forth. The TV stuff was hilarious, too. When my band was on the road, we had to live on the cheap and so mostly we'd hang out in whatever armpit bar we were playing and mooch free beers and watch whatever was on the tube. So one afternoon me and my keyboard guy were sitting at the bar watching the Goaldiggers, and the game itself was just thuggery and goonery and a total hoot, and this woman with three front teeth missing was hitting on the keyboard guy, and during stoppages in play, the TV camera would pan the audience, you know, the way they do in major league, looking for pretty girls or celebrities, and it focused on these two immense young women in bowling shirts and the announcer's saying something about a couple of young lovelies, and I just felt drenched in the spirit of Toledo, kind of an existential moment...minor league hockey and rock and roll life at the bottom of America. It's a beautiful thing.

Rich P.
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   

Minor league hockey and R&R life.... love to see you bring that setting to life in a story. When I was growing up in small town Southern Ontario, our own Welland Sabres would occasionally play host to a Detroit junior team featuring a Howe brother. Better than Christmas! Of course, the annual "battle of the bands" was held in the same venue :-).

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

I have a good battle of the bands story, but I have to sign signature pages tonight (yuck). Maybe tomorrow.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:08 pm:   

I just watched the most unexpected sports movie ever -- I had some signature pages to sign, so I turned on the tube and there was a sports comedy about curling -- Men With Brooms. Not that great, kind of charming. But...wow. A movie about curling. I now know more about curling than I ever wanted to know. Like the first curling rock was cut in Scotland in 1511. Very peculiar. So we got a movie about Dodgeball coming out, movie about curling. I'm thinking the Red Rover Come Over movie for '06.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:33 am:   

How about "Underhanded," the true down-n-dirty, behind-the-scenes story of our women's olympic softball team and their hard road to glory?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

Oooh! I like that one. With Traci Lords as the Coach. In the locker room, on the in the field, she always ready for a little one-on-one teaching...

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

And Pamela Anderson as Jennie Finch, the siren whose ascension to sex goddess aroused jealousies in the locker room and passions in the stands...

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:19 am:   

...Or vice versa....

I still can't get over there's a curling movie and that I saw it...

Minz
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:24 am:   

I'll have you know my wife went to High School with an Olympic Curler . . . not that I've ever iceskated in my life (not sure how I managed that, having lived the first 29 years of my sorry life in Wisconsin.)

Olympic. Curler.

Can't wait for the new film on Olympic Ribbon Dancers (or whatever the heck they call it.) I can see it now: Sara Michelle Gellar takes the gold in Rythmic Gymnastics by introducing poledancing into her act.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:46 am:   

"Bring the Wood," a stirring action epic that rips the lid off the world of professional lumberjack competitions! This season's must-see saw film!

"A film with bark AND bite!"--Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

"I give it tree stars! A film you can root for!" -- Leonard Maltin

"Eric Bana and Brittany Murphy in an un-ax-pected hit!" -- Roger Ebert, Sneak Previews

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:05 am:   

Minz, well, if you feel like stirring that pot, Men with Booms. Bet there's a video.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:06 am:   

er...Brooms

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:15 am:   

Brittany Murphy? Whoa! I don't think she's gonna be scoring too many leading lady gigs any time soon. A personal fave, Dave?

Of course, I'm mostly looking forward to HOPSCOTCH 2.

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   

Well, Lucius, I am nothing if not a realist. I assume this is going to be a low-budget picture. Maybe on a par with THE JUNCTION BOYS, budget-wise. Although I do enjoy Brittany's work, I plug her in mostly because I think she'll be available. Hey, I'm willing to negotiate. Mandy Moore? Tara Reid? Think Keira Knightley's price will have come down by then?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   

Well, Dave, if it's a low budget movie, what's Eric Bana doing in it? He's become a high 8, low 9 figure salary guy....

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Hmmm, bit of miscalculation on my part, I'm afraid. I figured the combined whammy of The Hulk and Troy would knock him down into a lower bracket. That's why I'm not in Hollywood.

I am definitely ready to sit down with Donnie Wahlberg, Jared Leto or even Michael Chiklis.

Do you think "Bring the Wood" is too much like "Bring it On"? Would "Packing Wood" capitalize on the Hollywood craze for gerunds?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   

"Getting Woody" might work....

or...if you wanted to make it an arthouse flick...

"What A Woodchuck Should..."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register