Travel Writing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Travel Writing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:08 pm:   

I am about as widely untravelled as one can get. I enjoy the occasional novel of travel, however.

My absolute favorite is Redmond O'Hanlon's IN TROUBLE AGAIN, about his quest for the source of the Amazon. O'Hanlon's other books are also excellent, dark and funny, and his book NO MERCY, tracking dinosaur legends through the Congo, is harrowing in the extreme.

So, Lucius (and others), as someone who is actually well-travelled, what are some of your favorite travel books?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   

I think the Bruce Chatwin books are pretty cool. Patagonia, especially. But truthfully I don't read that many travel books anymore and the ones I do are usually 19th and 18th century ones that I find in used book stores. You might want to access Vandermeer on this -- he seems to read a lot of travel books. My problem with answering your question is that I don't keep books, I loan them, lose them, leave them, whatever, and I rarely recall their names. Before I went to Borneo I read a bunch of terrific stuff, but damn if I can remember what they were. So, my apologies, I'm not much help. I do like the old William Seabrook stuff that dealt with the Caribbean area in the 30s and 40s.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   

Well if you haven't read IN TROUBLE AGAIN, I highly recommend it.

And I'm wishing I had your attitude toward books...it's slow in coming, but I think it's on the way. All I have to do is look at the garage full of boxes of books I haven't unpacked in seven years, and which I am beginning to believe I may never consult again. When I was younger I kept my favorite books in case my kids might want them. But my kids have grown up looking at a wall of cardboard boxes, and seem to have no trouble finding books of their own.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:52 pm:   

See I jump around so much, it's just not worth trying to hang onto 'em. Hell, I don't even keep my own books. But there's a down side--there are several books I've probably bought seven or eight copies of...

I'll take a look at IN TROUBLE AGAIN...

Wexler
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:45 am:   

I liked O'Hanlon's INTO THE HEART OF BORNEO better than IN TROUBLE AGAIN. I thought with IN TROUBLE AGAIN he was trying too hard to recapture what he'd done in the Borneo book. I'll have to try his Congo book.

Robert

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:33 am:   

I've read that! The Borneo one. That's one of the books I read prior to going there. Yeah, that was cool....

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:20 am:   

Speaking of Borneo, has anyone read 'Panjamun', the purported seven year 'captivity' of Jean Yves Domalain by natives in the interior of the island? I vaguely recall skimming a copy; the gist is that Domelain was rescued by an isolated tribe, married the chief's daughter and escaped with a few photographs.

Any comments on your visit to the island, Lucius? A place you'd return given the chance? How about New Guinea [one of the tougher places for the seasoned western traveler I've heard...]

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

Haven't been to New Guinea, haven't read Panjamun. Comments on Borneo? Well, that might take my own travel book. But there's a lot I'd like to see there that I didn't have time for, so yeah, I'd go back in a flash. The jungle was cool, but what I really like about such places are the desolate little coastal towns where cultures mingle and create a weird syncretic culture. As I once said about one of my characters, I'm a connosieur of desolation.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register