I Ching Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » I Ching « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:23 am:   

Lucius,

I read somewhere (forgot where) that you use the Book of Changes. I just started using it and to my pleasant surprise, found it to be amazingly accurate at times and always opens up new lines of thought for me. I am interested to know about your experiences with it. Thank you.

Sean

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:46 am:   

Sean...yeah, I tend to rely on it overmuch at times. I've learned not to abuse it, but it took a while. It also took me awhile to understand that it wasn't an instrument for foretelling the future, but a means of analyzing the present and determing fortuitous lines of action. Using the I Ching correctly is, I believe, essentially a process of learning how to ask questions, how to ask them with precision and with appropriate intentions, and once you become proficient at that, then you're more than halfway to your answer. I don't know if my specific use of it would be of much interest, but if I can think of something relevant, I'll add it later.

Sean
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   

Lucius,

Thanks for the reply. I am at that stage of over-asking the question or over-analyzing the hexagram to no end. I am however, able to take an unbiased view of the answer and not read what I want into it. If the asnswer is bleak, so be it. What translation do you use? I use Wilhelm's with Carol Anthony's additional commentaries.

Sean

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   

Sean, I use the Wilhem. It's the only one I've ever related to well. I find that if I have the urge to ask a question and don't give into it right away, let it simmer, I end up asking a more precise question, and that this helps one not to over-ask.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register