Oral Surgery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Oral Surgery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:54 am:   

Might be off for a few -- i have to go in for gum stuff. Then again, maybe the pills will make me garrulous.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:53 am:   

That stuff be nasty. My dentist drops the words "gingival grafts" every once in a while and it makes me cringe...Good luck, big guy. Happy Vicodin.

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Best of luck to you. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out June 1. I'm not looking forward to it, but not dreading it either.

ellen
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   

Good luck kiddo.

Dave G: Don't do it. It's disgusting. I've had gum surgery. Never again.

I've been using Meridol, a toothpaste and mouthwash from Switzerland (or Germany, I forget) and it's helped build up the bone--which is what the gum problem is...If you can get it do so. I have a friend who buys loads of it when she goes to Germany. You can't get it in the US. My dentist also inserted antibiotic chips into the two areas of my gums that needed them and that might have helped too. You CAN get that in the US and if you have insurance it should pay for it, at least partially. It's painless.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

Ellen, clearly you don't work for the government. Our dental insurance would cover Theodoric of York, medeival dentist, but not much else. My dentist told me it would pay to have teeth yanked, but not fixed. Supposedly, Congress is going to act in June to get us better dental bennies, but who knows? Do your German friends have any medicine for teeth weakened by grinding? That's my #1 problem now.

I am the only guy I know who had wisdom teeth (four, all impacted) as in-patient surgery. It was pretty bad, but all I got was codeine and I hated the drugs so much, I opted to take the pain instead. Hopefully, the range of pharmaceutical options has improved since 1980.

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   

I've got a pretty high pain tolerance, and am one of the few people who prefer to be conscious when people are messing with my body; when I accidentally filleted my hand a couple years ago, I made the doctor and nurses quite nervous by only taking a local anaesthetic and talking to them and asking questions during the procedure. I've opted only for a local while getting my wisdom teeth out, as well, with the understanding that if the pain become unbearable they can give me some laughing gas or something anytime.

ellen
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:35 am:   

Dave, I pay my own insurance. Even with the insurance I had to pay $60 a chip but it was worth it.

Grinding is usually helped by some kind of a bite plate to prevent you from doing it as far as I know.

I had one impacted wisdom tooth pulled years ago at the Northern Dispensary in Greenwich Village, which was a charity dental place. I got a local but it was brutal --I can still hear the cracking of the tooth. If I had it to do over (now that I have money) I'd ask the dentist for liquid valium the drug of choice. You're conscious but you just don't care.

BillH
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:34 am:   

Good luck, Lucius!

I had my wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago and I can tell you the best method to deal with the pain: have a disaster in your home. The day of my surgery, I came home to a basement flooded not only with water--as it was raining that day--but...sewage. Our sewer pipe had ruptured right next to the house. I didn't worry one wit about my teeth--or the lack--nor did I feel any pain. Not highly recommended!

Best wishes and I hope you get good drugs,
Bill H.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   

Thanks, everybody. More later.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:13 am:   

Ellen: I've been using the bite plate, but, oddly, my teeth continue to break. (One more this past weekend...) I'm starting to wonder if they're cracking on the plate itself. Does that ever happen? Anybody know?

ellen
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:10 am:   

Dave:uh oh. That doesn't sound good. I don't know.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register