Trujillo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Trujillo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:30 am:   

Hey Lucius,

I see 'Trujillo' is up on Amazon's Canadian and U.K. lists for a July 1 release. 600 pages, outstanding!!

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:42 am:   

Bruce, I think it's actually longer than that. 679 pages, I believe. Massive quantities!

Thanks for the heads-up...

Bruce
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:41 am:   

Hi Lucius,

Whoa. I see 'Trujillo' is weighing in at 55,000 words. That's 8,000+ words longer than 'Floater'!!
Way generous. Does this final lineup still stand?

Senor Volto
Crocodile Rock
A Walk In The Garden
Eternity and Afterward
The Drive-In-Puerto Rico
Only Partly Here
Jailwise
The Same Old Story
The Park Sweeper
Trujillo

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:45 am:   

I think there's one more story. I;m pretty sure there are 11 all told, but for the life of me I can't think what it is. Maybe it'll come to me later...

know-it-all
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

684 pages

"Hands Up! Who Wants to Die?"

Bruce
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

'Hands-Up! Who Wants to Die' is included in Night Visions 11. I believe that novella as well as a Griaule story were preempted some time ago by 'Eternity and Afterward'.

Billc
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   

Lucius,

Locus is reporting, in the March issue, that you've sold Pete a collection with an original novella. Is this Trujillo or do we have yet another collection to look forward to?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   

Hands Up Who Wants to DIe is in the collection. Thanks, Know It All

BillC.

I have sold them a second collection, contents to be deternined....

know-it-all
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   

Know It All knows much, sees much, from his faraway land across the mountains.

Bruce
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   

That Know-It-All guy is one prescient hombre. Thanks all.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:55 pm:   

Some that prescient, I think it's not a guy. :-)

andres
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:00 pm:   

Oh my,what a formidable table of contents.Is an american edition on the works?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 04:22 pm:   

I can't speak to that now, due to contract concerns, Andres. But I can tell you this much. The PS edition will be the only time all that material is together in one volume.

Billc
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm:   

"I have sold them a second collection, contents to be deternined...."

Great! SF or Fantasy flavoured? Somewhere else on the board, and yes I'm too lazy to look, you said that "Ariel" didn't fit the current collection because it was SF more than Fantasy.

I'd like to see the rest of the current stuff collected. I think there's a decent amount of older stuff that merits collection. And I really think that the essay about Clarion needs to be collected - it would work wonderfully, I think, as an introduction to a collection.

Regardless, another collection to look forward to. Do you have a timeframe?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:10 pm:   

Billc, Ariel and Aztechs are stories I don't really care for; I don't think theyre my best work, though I tried to make them good; I don't think my science fiction is as good as the fantasy stuff I do. Nonetheless, they'll probably be in it. I imagine the collection will be more of a mixture of fantasy and sci fi. Some stories I'll be writing and am writing will be in it. Two are science fiction, both novellas. So there will be at least 5 novellas, one original. I suspect late 05, early 06 will see its publication.

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:29 pm:   

Hi Lucius -

Given all of the questions and interest here, do you think it might be worth adding a "forthcoming" section to your site. That way people could just go and check it out for info on stuff that's been sold - stories, books etc - but not yet published. Just an idea.

J

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   

Hi, Jonathan....Maybe I should, though I don't really have all that much coming out that hasn't been metioned. But next year should be a good one. So...I'll do 'er next time I sell something. Thanks.

wantstoknowitall
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:46 am:   

Do a topic announcing stuff as it comes available, so us slaverish consumer types can jump when the time comes.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

wantstoknowitall.....

Okay!

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:07 pm:   

Hey Lucius

Just got the galley of TRUJILLO in the mail. Darn, it's BIG. <g> Seriously, though, it looks like a wonderful book. Can't wait to see the final.

Jonathan

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   

I'm bloody envious. When might you expect us groundlings can expect the finished article?

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

Hi, Jonathan...Yeah, I think it must weigh about four-four and a half pounds. Hope you like it....

Lucius
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   

Bruce, I thik the book'll be available at the end of June, around in there....

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 09:42 am:   

Hey does anyone know how long orders from PS take to arrive? On the site they said that were shiping Trujillo on the 18th. I haven't ordered from them before, and I live in Canada, so I'm not sure how long it should take.

ellen
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 01:50 pm:   

Just got my review copy from them today. (NYC)

StephenB
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:29 am:   

Thanks Ellen, hopefully it will arrive soon.
Question for you. Are the reviewers copies you recieve printed specificly for you and other reviewers, or are they apart of the limited run of copies printed?

rwexler
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:23 am:   

Mine came today (Ohio).

Robert

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   

The copy or Trujillo is a regular part of the limited run. (it's numbered and signed by Lucius). Or did you mean in general?

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:14 am:   

In general I guess. It just suprises me that they wouldn't print extra reviewers copies when they are already selling a limited print run. I would think that a book like Trujillo by Lucius Shepard, would have no problem selling 500 copies even though it is a rather pricey book. But then again, part of the appeal for some, would be the rare collectors value of these books. I just wouldn't like to see people miss out, but it's cool that you got a signed copy.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:42 am:   

They do print extra copies, Steven. I sign more sheets than the print run. I received my copies yet, if that makes you feel any better,

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   

Thanks Lucius, but I doubt your as anxious to read your own work.

Ellen
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:44 pm:   

Stephen,
In general I get something called a PC copy from small press publishers for review. They aren't numbered although sometimes they're signed.

It is relatively unusual for me to receive (as with Lucius's book) a signed, numbered copy of the print run. But Lucius might have asked the publisher to send me a "real" copy that is not meant for review (but that I'll review for YBFH anyway).

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:01 am:   

Thats nice of him.:-)

Stephenb
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 05:29 pm:   

So still no sign of Trujillo. I e-mailed Peter and he said he's sending another copy. Has anyone not yet recieved their copy?

billc
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   

Stephen,

I received my copy today and like you I'm in Canada. I would expect that my order went out at the very beginning because I ordered it when it was first announced but I couldn't see a date on the postmark. My copy also had a Swedish return address. The packing was terrible: the envelope wasn't sealed; the bubble-pack was wrapped around the book but the ends were open. It's lucky that the book didn't fall out of the envelope. Perhaps that delayed delivery? But it's here and it survived with minimal shipping damage. Now to (re)read!

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   

hey bill--

i had much the same packaging. i was surprised, as i've ordered from PS before, and it's been perfect in packaging.

billc
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 05:31 am:   

Ben,

This is the second shipment in a row that left soemthing to be desired and perhaps not surprisingly it all coinsides with Pete farming out the packing and shipping. But they still make pretty books.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:13 am:   

Has everyone got their copies now?

rwexler
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:57 am:   

My books have always been well-packed, copies of my own book and all the other PS books sent to me. I'll let Pete know. He's paying for good packing, and you're paying for good packing by ordering the books, so everyone should be getting good packing.

Robert

billc
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

Robert, Lucius,

I meant no disrespect to Pete. I informed him of the condition of the first shipment, there were other problems as well, and have every intention of doing so this time. I think it's one of those hicup things that come when you move from personal, hands on operation to one that has, for lack of a better word, sub-contractors. I have no doubt that it will all be corrected in due course. And I can't stress this enough: They are wonderful books!

StephenB
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:06 am:   

The book arrived today.:-)

StephenB
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 03:13 pm:   

By the way Lucius the book looks great. I read the intro, and I have some questions... that you may not want to answer. It seems that other writers, your peers, have some sceptisism of your exploits and adventures. I myself have led a wild rebellious life, full of sex and drugs and adventure, that is the way I am. I've slowed down now, and I want to write. I've been in some pretty interesting situations, that most would avoid. Done both good and bad (nothing too bad). I find that once you develope a persona based on your actions, it can sometimes get carried away. I have had people come up to me that I don't even know and talk about some story that I have no recollection of even doing, or know something about me that seems irrelevant. When I do get into some adventure that may have involved lot's of drugs, booze, women, and poor judgement (as an example), I like to make funny stories out of it, to ammuse myself and my fiends. I have the physical and emotional scars that remind me of the life I've chosen. I'm a little jaded too. Having a larger then life heroic, yet tragic, persona amongst your peers and society has both its ups and downs. It's hard for people to understand me, even my close friends and family, yet easy for people to misunderstand and to be misinformed about me. The persona both atracts and interests people but at the same time it can be very lonely and sad. Sometimes I feel that I have become some sort of model or combinations of character straight out of the collective unconciousness, and I know if I would have made different choices and followed different paths my life would be easier, and I would be happier (maybe). I would hate to feel I led a souless, balless, banal life. In the "what if" world I may not ultimaely like myself as much. I mention this because I can relate with you on some levels. I'm not nearly as well traveled as you, and I'm only half your age so I'm not trying to equate my life with yours. I hope this doesn't seem weird or too forward. I like anyone, just like to identify with someone above "the crowd". I think your personality or persona is both both positive and negative to your career, and how people percieve you. Just chatting with some of the fans on these boards as well as asimovs, many are looking for different kinds of stories and can't relate with how you're viewing the world. And many also think your one of the greatest writers in the field, writing today.

I think the generation comming up is really afraid to take risks and go out and experience the world. Mostly because they are told by authorities to be that way. It's a little sad, this distrustful and frightened generation. I think a guy like you is a positive example to children in an ironic way.

How do you feel about standing out amongst your peers, and being both respected and a little mistrusted? Does it feel good and bad at the same time? You are one of a kind, no one else is quite like you, but do you think that can be a lonely place to be? Do you like how things can become exagerated?

One thing all your peers seem to agree on is the greatness of your writing. As Micheal points out.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:34 pm:   

Stephen, I can truly say that having reached my fifties, I don't care what other people think of me on a personal level, apart from a very few. Some people have chosen to mythologize my life, to exaggerate it, both in positive and negative ways. Except in a few cases, I can only guess why they have done this. Because it serves to enlarge them in some way, I suppose. In the world I came from, which was a world of much broader experience, I did not stand out; but in the world of science fiction I sometimes feel like Neal Cassidy, because the majority of the people seem to have lived rather conservative lives. I have lived at times irreponsibly, as a result of which I have a certain degree of self-loathing; at times I have done things I'm proud of. I can't control what other people choose to make of it. When I was younger, the distortions used to disturb me and they still do to some extent; but I find them more amusing than I used to. I find it validates my judgments on human nature in that people feel compelled to put their attitudes on me, perhaps as a form of compensation or resentment in some cases, but in other cases as a form of affection.

Much of what you say resonates with me. I can only say I've learned not to look back, to ignore the peripheral muttering, and to follow my conscience. Drugs, booze and poor judgment have been instructional for me. Women, too. As I've gotten older, they've gotten more interesting, more challenging, more rewarding. Writing is a lonely occupation, so I can;t say I feel more lonely than any other writer, more isolated. As to how people view my work, well, science fiction is a peculiar place and I think my real audience has always lain outside it.

I don't think much of writers or writing. It strikes me as a low level occupation. On the Great Wheel Of Life, the cycle of reincarnation, the Hindus put poet just below thief. I think that's about right.. It just something I do, nothing to be revered particularly. I don't expect other writers feel that way, but that's how I feel. Naturally, I feel better when people like my work than when they don't, but that's hardly important.

I hope this answers your questions satisfactorily. Take it easy,

StephenB
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

Yes, thanks lucius.

Stephen
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:56 pm:   

I just read Only Partly Here for the first time. I loved it. It really touches on our desire for intimacy, and how even subtle intimacy between a man and a women can heal the deepest wounds, and the most pained souls. Around 911 was a very painfull time for me, not just because of the world vibe, but for more personal reasons. I lost the only true love or soulmate I've felt I've ever had, and I had no one to blame but myself. This story really made me feel, but in a good way. Kind of errie considering my loss, but like usual great insight!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Glad you liked it! That was an important stort for me.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 02:50 am:   

The thing I like most about A Walk in the Garden, was the use of satire on a sensitive and current subject. I can't relate much with the soldier character (I always question authority so would make a horrible soldier) but I like how you portrayed him. Just a real, regular, kind of guy. You both compliment and criticize the soldiers mentality. That's a lot easier to take then just a slap in the face. I like the metaphors used to portray war, and I like how you contrast faith with the military. I think the story succeeds in what it's trying to accomplish. The last line made me laugh. Nicely done.

StephenB
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:59 pm:   

Really liked Crocodile Rock. The ambiguous and uncertain ending worked. It is, just as in life.:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   

Glad you're enjoying it!

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 08:15 pm:   

Quite an intelligent story-by-story review of TRUJILLO is to be found here:

www.livejournal.com/users/coalescent/

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   

My copy arrived Sept. 27 but I just returned yesterday from Alaska - three glorious weeks offline - and finally got my hands on it. Beautiful cover and layout!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 02:48 pm:   

Glad you got it, Bruce. I bet Alaska was fun.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 04:23 pm:   

Thanks, Lucius. Killing salmon and brain cells is what a fishing trip is all about. Haines is one stunning location, first time I'd been there.

Also acquired Liar's House and looking forward to Handbook, Weapons and Viator. Production must be your middle name!

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 04:47 pm:   

Actually, weapons has been put off for a few months. It's due in early spring,

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 04:36 am:   

I read Eternity and Afterward last night. Wow, what a story! Some dark and heavy shit going on. Like so many of your stories this one will stay in my mind for awhile, especially some of the images, symbols, and concepts. I think this has been the most unsettleing story for me thus far in the collection, it also may be my favorite so far. Aside from the narrator, March really struck me as an interesting character (if not entirely real, but more surreal). I've worked in a strange, sophisticated, and even a little esoteric, nightclub and lounge, but nothing like Eternity....

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Eternity is based on a real night club in Moscow, where every night a rose is auctioned off to prove how wealthy the bidders are....

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:32 am:   

Interesting. Sounds like an important cultural symbol. The story is full of levels, and works on so many levels, and is obviously partly a political metaphor of the country's spirit. Just to touch on the psychological levels: I read the review of Eternity you posted, of course not before I read the story, and the reviewer mentioned that some of the characters may have been representing aspects of the narrators psyche. I saw this as a possiblity, as they seemed part of a greater character, and not whole characters themselves and it fit's with the whole metaphysical Yuri thing. Would March be his shadow? And the blond friend he murdered his ego? in a Freudian sense? A devil, and an angel looking out, in a more symbolic sense? If you were too meet God, wouldn't you want to really meet yourself first?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   

Steven, I don't know about any of that stuff. To me, it's just a weird story about a mafiya guy. It may be true...but I don't know.

StephenB
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   

right on, that makes sense.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:54 am:   

Johb Clute reviews Trujillo in the current SF weekly,,,

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

Fuck, I just looked over this thread because of the Trujillo talk and man am I embarrassed by some of what I said. It sounds like I was undergoing some sort of mania in that one post. Everything I said on this thread is true, but some of it is entirely overstated, I guess. So forget that I said it. I feel like a dick.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   

I've calmed down. It's not a big deal. I meant what I said and I said it. So whatever. What embarrasses me is the arrogance of some of my statements. Consider it, in part, due to youth.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   

Calm down some more, okay? :-)

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

Okay, I'll try.:-) But it's easy to say...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register