Books on Boxing? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Books on Boxing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   

Hey, Lucius since you're knowlegable on Boxing, what books would you suggest on the subject (history, techniques, whatever)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:13 pm:   

Matthew...wow/ Lots of answers to that question. Here's a few....

This Bloody Mary Is The Last Thing I Own
by Jonathan Rendall
Serenity by Ralph WIley
Cut Time by Carlos Rotella
The Black Lights by Thomas Hauser

These four are terrifically entertaining books that each cover a wide spectrum of the boxing universe; the frist two are particular favorites. The Rendall is a really wonderfui book by an ex boxer and manager, and the Wiley, by a New York Times writer, has some exceptional essays. The bio of Muhammad Ali by Tom Hauser is also pretty great. Jack Newfield's book on Don King, Only In America, is very instructive on the dominant personality of the last 23 years in boxing.

Boxing by Bertram Job is a pricey (30 bucks or so) book that covers a lot about international boxing. Very valuable.

The classic text on the subject is The Sweet Science by AJ Leibling, which is out of print, but coming back into print soon.

As for books on technique, the best way to learn is to just go to boxing gym; but if you want a book., there are a number of adequate instructional texts -- I couldn't choose from among them.

Alex
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:19 am:   

Ditto Hauser's book on Ali; also there's a book of short stories that came out a couple of years ago, Rope Burns by F.X. Toole. I liked that one.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:47 am:   

Yeah, Rope Burns was good.

The only problem for me in recommending books by T. Hauser is that he's such a flaming asshole--every time I've ever been on press row in MSG and he comes around when I'm talking to somebody,, conversation just dries up, because he's pretty much the room-clearing champ of New York City. But he did write a couple of good books.

simon
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

I really like Joyce Carol Oates' book On Boxing.
And Davis Miller's The Tao of Muhammad Ali gets a little flakey but is often wonderfully astute on the man and how he dealt with life after boxing.
Redemption Song by Mike Marqusee (spelling?) is excellent on Ali and politics. OK not so much on boxing and more about Ali but they're good books all.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:16 am:   

I'm ambivalent about On Boxing -- some of it I liked a lot; but some I thought was kind of irrelevant... I mean irrelevant in that it really wasn't "on boxing," but on Oates. Which isn't bad and I'm not saying it's not a valuable addition to the canon, but for someone who's new to the sport, I say wait for a while before going there.

Haven't read Redemption Song, but I got it somewhere in the stacks....

Deborah
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:31 am:   

Only tangentially related to the original question, let me mention that Wheatland Press will be publishing a very nice book of poems on boxing by a Northwest poet and cut man named Tom Smario. Book will be titled "Knuckle Sandwiches" and will be out some time this summer. I'll post details on the Polyphony board when the book's available.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:54 am:   

Tom Smario has been around boxing for 30 plus years and is a terrific poet. That's great news. It should be a wonderful book.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

Speaking of combat sports, the Ultimate Fighting light-heavy (and ex-heavyweight) champ, Randy Couture, trains in SW Portland. I spent a night at his gym a couple of weeks back, watching the training, which is amazing/ These guys are in better condition than any athletes I've ever seen. These guys can fight at a world-class level for half an hour and not be breathing hard. I'm gonna be pitching a poece on Couture to Playboy....

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

That's a "piece."

Matthew
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   

Thank You all for the information

paulw
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:44 pm:   

Lucius, you could write your Playboy piece as a poem, then it would be a "poece" . . .

vanessa
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   

you can write me and add me to the playboy list

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   

Um, I'm not too sure what you mean, Vanessa, but obviously the Playboy piece didn't work out, but I have recently sold them a story...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register