Trying to remember story Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Trying to remember story « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:11 am:   

Lucius,
I'm trying to remember the title of a story from the 80's... I THINK it was yours. It was definitely from that era. For a long time, I thought it was in the IN THE FIELDS OF FIRE anthology, but I haven't found it there.

It is a story set in Vietnam. The protagonist is a shade or ghost of a US soldier, that spends the narrative trying to escape his afterlife... he meets many spirits of Vietnamese legend, and in the end, he ends up becoming one of those legends... a spirit that steals babies from their cribs and drowns them in the river.

Do you or anyone else(ellen?) have any idea which story I'm referring to? I've been digging through my anthologies on and off for about 12-18 months, but haven't come across it.

-JL

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:26 am:   

Hi Jeremy,

I think it's 'Ma Qui' by Alan Brennert. Won him a Nebula.

Cheers,

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:29 am:   

Not my story, JK. My story un Fields of Fire was called Shades and dealt with the ghost of a GI who has been trapped by means of some weird science and put on display.

Is it, perhaps, a Bruce McCallister story? Sounds like it might be.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:49 pm:   

I'll Look up the Brennert story and see if it is the one I am thinking of. Thanks bruce, and Lucius, for helping narrow it down.

-JL

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 09:48 pm:   

"Ma Qui" was the one. Thanks for helping me scratch that itch, Bruce. It turns out I first read it in '92, in Karl Wagner's Best New Horror XX ... a bit past the "mid-80's". All of time seems to be running together into a sticky clump...

-jl

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   

Make that a neo-clunp :-)

Robert Manchester
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   

The book is Dream Baby by Bruce McCallister

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register