Two Trains Running Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Two Trains Running « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:12 am:   

My mini-collection, Two Trains Running, is now avalailable from Golden Gryphon. It's kind of an odd thing. Two stories and an article about hobos, the article being the unedited version of a piece I did for Spina few years back on a hobo "gang" called the Freight Train Riders of America. I guess I was hoping/attempting to show part of the process of how fiction derivers from experience by jamming these piece together. The package features an unbelievably good cover by John Picacio.....

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Lucius may not dig me saying this, but I'll say it anyway for those who don't know.....one of the stories in this book is "Over Yonder", which won the 2003 Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award (Best SF Short Story of the Year). Tremendous stuff...worth owning just for that story alone....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:18 am:   

Thanks, John...but now I have to hunt you down and kill ya! :-)

Rich
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:09 am:   

I agree with John, "Over Yonder" (I always hear Hendrix when I read that title) is one of my favorite LS stories ever. Also, a perfect contender for a sequel. "Jailbait" is not "Jailwise" right? It's a riding the rods story too? Last question... are you a William Kennedy fan?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:31 am:   

Rich, I liked Ironweed and a couple of other things, and I do like his stuff...the man himself is a different matter. Quick story. I was hanging out my old friend Russ Banks (we've known each other since forever) and another writer in this bar in Saratoga, when Kennedy, seriously crocked, came up and introduced himself to Russ. He made a big point of ignoring me and the other guy and went off on this rambling discourse about his favorite subject, himself. Turns out, according to Kennedy. that he is the world record holder in a number of events. He went on and on and on, irritating all of us, holding forth on his wonderfulness, and at one point declared that he could piss longer than than any other human being on earth. I may have, at that juncture, made some less than happy noise, because he glared at me then and said, as if daring me to pose a contrary, "I once took a piss that lasted for more than eight minutes."

Every once in a while you actually feel uninhibited enough to say the absolutely right thing, and this, for me, was one of those rare moments.

"Eight minutes, huh?" I said. "Wow. Which novel would that have been?" :-)

After that he left us alone.

Anyway, "Jailbait" is, indeed, another riding the rails story.

Rich
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:53 am:   

LOL. Good story, thanks.

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:50 pm:   

Note to John Picacio,

Great jacket!!! Looks even better live.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:06 pm:   

Thanks very much, Bruce! I'm glad you dug the cover. TWO TRAINS is a great little book!

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:24 pm:   

You're welcome, John! Two Trains is pretty remarkable...I can only say I'd like to see another installment to 'Jailbait'. Perhaps Billy Long Gone, Madcat, Grace and other interesting characters meet in California. On one plane or another...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

Yeah, it's a f**king great cover!!! Is there a Cover of the Year award? Should be. This gets it....

Pender
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

Lucius,
I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying "Two Trains running". The article was very interesting and "Over Yonder" has become one of my favorite stories by you. Well deserved award. And the cover is cool too!

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 06:47 am:   

Check David Soyka's review of TTR on SF Site:

http://www.sfsite.com/05b/tt176.htm

Sorry to say I haven't read the book yet due to three other Shepard collections, which are in line behind some William Gibson books, that must be read first. But hey, I'm sure looking forward to it!

Still regret the fact that you're not being translated for the Dutch market, Lucius. The Netherlands are sure missing out on some well constructed, thought-provoking and fun to read fiction. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Arnie
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:41 pm:   

Lucius - the intro and the FTRA article were worth the price of the book; I'm not sure I've ever had a piece of non-fiction grab me like that before, and I'm really looking forward to reading the fictional rail tales.

I've got a question for you though:

As a writer of a great deal of short fiction, do you think it is best to read a whole collection in one quick pass (ie straight through from beginning to end), or should it be read slowly with a bit of space between stories.

I guess when you're writing the individual stories, their being collected doesn't exactly come to mind - obviously the Two Trains stuff is thematically related - but let's take the Jaguar Hunter for example. I've been reading those stories in a slow fashion, usually stuffing in a couple of stories between the novels I'm reading, and I like the way that the stories resonate individually that way. But as the writer of those stories, how do you think the reader would be best served in reading them?

Hope this made sense... thanks man!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   

God, I haven't checked this thread for a while. Pender, Glad you enjoyed the book. I often wonder about trains in other parts of the world. but I know nothing about trains in Iraq. They have any?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:31 pm:   

Cornelius, I don't understand why stuff sells in one country and not in another. I've never sold anything in Holland, they love me in Finland... :-)

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words and I hope you like the collections.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:38 pm:   

Arnie, I guess I believe collections are for hunting around in. My new one's 684 pages, 11 really long stories, most of them pretty dark, and I wouldn't think most folks would want to gun straight through. A thing like Two Trains, however, shortish and thematically related, it seems like that might be cool to just roll on through it.

the thing about the FTRA piece, it's uncut. Most magazine pieces lose about a third in the editing process. I think if you were to read many journalism pieces uncut, a lot of them would grab you.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:40 am:   

Probabely cause the short fiction market kinda sucks down here. It's an all no-pay market! Even the few mags that publish short stories are semi-pro non-paying organizations. It's all filantrophy down in the Low Lands.

Reading Barnacle Bill... at the moment and very much enjoying it. Too bad you're not being translated. Maybe you can pass some story for translation my or W.J. Maryson's way if you're feeling in a generous mood (You've met Wim didn't you?). ;)

Just kidding... don't have the time for such an endeavor. But maybe Wim... hahahaha!

Cheers!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Yeah, I met Wim in Nantes. I think it's a great idea. I intend to send him my entire ouvre. :-)

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 11:44 am:   

Go for it, man!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   

I'll tell Wim you sent me. :-)

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   

No problem! Tell 'm that translating your work into Dutch is a good excercise for sharpening his skillz!

:-)

Have you read his story Verstummte Musik?

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   

Unfortunately, the only language I read apart from English is Spanish, and I haven't seen anything of his in translation. I believe Jeff Ford had a story of Wim's and was sending it around; but I haven't seen it.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   

I have it on my harddisk right now. Just send me an e-mail and I'll reply it to ya! ;)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   

Thanks, man. WIll do.

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   

In English... of course! :-)

Cornelis Alderlieste
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   

No problem!

Pender
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:00 am:   

I haven't seen a single train here in beautiful Iraq or even the tracks, not sure why.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:39 am:   

Pender, Yeah, I hadn't seen evidence of trains over there either. Kinda weird.

maryson
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:32 pm:   

By accident I ran into Cornelis AND the Lucius-thing! Hey, Lucius, how do?
Now briefly for some serious stuff: By the end of the year I will be an official publisher, over here. I do consider to do some stuff of yours and Jeffrey and maybe Terry B. for the Dutch market.
Why? Have to beat the Finnish dudes...
Send me some of your stuff, or have it sent.
Mail me.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   

I do fine, How you? I will mail you.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:06 am:   

"...I can only say I'd like to see another installment to 'Jailbait'. Perhaps Billy Long Gone, Madcat, Grace and other interesting characters meet in California. On one plane or another..." [March 3]

Hi Lucius,

I see our friends at Golden Gryphon have you lined up for the sequel to Over Yonder in 2007. Way excellent! Can you tell us what else you've got planned aside from 'Weapons of Mass Seduction' and will your pseudonym be unmasked this year?

Cheers, Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:10 am:   

Bruce, I;ll answer that question when I come back from Honduras....I;m leaving next week and there's stuff I can't talk about now.

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

Thanks Lucius, have a great trip.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:28 am:   

Wilco, Bruce....Thanks,

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register