IHG Nomination Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » IHG Nomination « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Hey, Lucius!!!

Props to you!! You get to go head-to-head against yourself in the Long Fiction category for the 2004 International Horror Guild Awards! Nominations for both LOUISIANA BREAKDOWN and FLOATER....

Check it out!

http://www.ihgonline.org/

JV
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Congrats, Lucius. It's like a tsunami or other force of nature. Lucius, you're officially...weather.

My first thought was, "I'm damn glad I don't have anything up in Lucius' category..."

JeffV

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:23 am:   

Yeah, congrats, L., that's great!

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:41 am:   

That's John, Jeff, and Friend of Viggo :-),

I appreciate it.

The horror, the horror....

:-)

And conga rats to you, Jeff. for the Veniss nom.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

I meant to say. Thanks, John, Jeff, and FOV...:

I'm having one of those brainlock days when I can't work, can barely think, and obviously can't type.... :-)

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   

Hey, way to go Mr. Sir.

Robert

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   

Hey, muchas gracias, Robert....

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 09:39 pm:   

Lucius: You are multipli on every god damn awards ballot and recommended list in creation. If you don't walk away this year with at least a few graven images there ain't no justice. Best of luck with the IHG and all the rest.

Boisson

Jeff

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 09:45 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff...

if I win, boissons for everyone....

congrats to you, tambien....

ben peek
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 02:48 am:   

hey, cool on the nominations. i liked both books muchly, so all the best.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:02 am:   

Thanks, Ben....

mike bishop
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:46 am:   

Add my congrats. And now, besides putting your fanny in a chair and working, please tell me how the hell you do it. Nowadays I can't even garner a household "Good show" for cleaning up my office.

I haven't read "Floater" yet, but "Louisiana Breakdown" blew me away, for its pitch-perfect prose and its authoritative evocation of both Louisiana and your characters:

"The poor thing. She ain't nothing but ice cream for the devil."

"He felt undelivered, as if deliverance had been near to hand."

"The god of Gibberish."

"Desolation . . . it fit neatly within the fences of his soul."

"Three sugary 20-year-old girls with both Sunday school and sodomy on their resumes share a booth."

"Her lips remind him of those red gelatin lips with syrup inside them he bought when he was a kid."

". . . the current of life running ragged through him like a handsaw catching on a knot."

"He holds her name in his mouth like a communion wafer. . . ."

It's shit like this, Lucius, that has pushed me to the brink of retirement. If you can't better it, why even try? In any event, you deserve all the accolades, and I'm pulling for you.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:31 pm:   

And let's not forget:

"Difference 'tween the rest of the world and Grail, our surface been peeled away for a couple hundred years. We're in what'cha might call plain fuckin' view."

Good stuff.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   

Hey, Mike...I know you're joking, but when you write stuff like the Door Gunner, you don't need to be thinking about retirement. All I did was throw a whole bunch of mess at the wall -- some of it was bound to stick, I guess....

Thanks for the kind words, man. You know I appreciate 'em.

Same goes for you, Deborah. I do appreciate it;...

MartinC
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:48 am:   

Congrats, Lucius. Floater was the shit!

mike
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:33 am:   

I was joking about retiring all right, especially since it begins to look as if the state of Georgia plans to dump art teachers, music teachers, and counselors next year, owing to the "budget crunch," and my wife may well wind up unemployed. Or maybe someone heard her mutter the word "evolution" under her breath.

Anyway, glad you liked "The Door Gunner." It's been so quietly received, however, that I think it's putting a second pair of socks on people's feet rather than knocking their first pair off.

I'm looking forward to reading Floater; it's hard to imagine its being any better than your GGP novella.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

Mike, subject matter is always. Vietnam, it seems to me, always need to be presented to the genre reader in a kind of flashy way in order to get the points across. The Vietnamish stuff I wrote was kinda flashy and I think that's why it got attention. The stuff I've been writing lately about Honduras has been received very quietly. I'm pretty sure the best story I published last year was "The Same Old Story" in Polyphony 2 and it received almost no attention, because it's not flashy and that makes it more difficult for people to deal with on some level. Door Gunner, I think, suffers from this sort of discrimination...

I hope you enjoy FLOATER -- it's more of a horror piece, but it sort of needed to be.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:17 am:   

oops...the first sentence of that last post was incomplete. Should read, Subject matter is always a problem in the genre, especially it has the smell of politics.

mike
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:19 am:   

Lucius, I think you're correct about a quiet presentation muting a story's effect for certain readers, but "Door Gunner" concludes with a helicopter flight into the maw of Hell. Maybe those first few point-of-view shifts militated against keeping those certain readers around long enough to experience the really flashy stuff. Anyway, I liked "The Same Old Story" a lot. Which only means that I was pretty well attuned to just about everything you had out last year and specifically looked for it.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   

Mike, One of my Honduran stories concerns a man who straps a car battery to his chest and delivers shocks to carnival goers and through his sensitivity to electricity perceives a kingdom of fauna who populate the air -- yet I still maintain it was a quiet story because of narrative style. The same, IMO, applies to Door Gunner. That's what I meant.

As for the LeGuinn thing on another thread, I'll just say it's not about liking one's work, it's about my perception of hypocrisy. But let's leave it at that.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   

Congrats on your recent IHG award nominations for Handbook and Viator. I'm surprised Trujillo isn't on there for collection. Good luck with it!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:11 pm:   

First I heard of it, Stephen. Thanks.

MartinC
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:54 pm:   

Congrats!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:02 pm:   

Congrats!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register