Monster Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Monster « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Kruger
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   

I'll soon be posting your review of "Monster" (which, for the information of onlookers, is also a review of the whole Oscars scene). I tried to send you a confirmation e-mail, but it looks like myDoom has choked earthlink's mail servers, and I couldn't call 'cause you're online.

Bob

Bob Kruger
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 12:51 am:   

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/monster.asp

Martin C
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

That's hilarious, Lucius. The passage about George Bush accepting his Oscar is priceless.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:56 am:   

Thanks, Martin....

I think the Administration deserved an Oscar sweep this year.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

Although it is a bit of an anticlimax to get the Oscar once you get the Globe, or so I hear ...

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   

Michael, as far as Oscar is concerned, there are other spheres involved.

Film Fan
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:39 pm:   

Yeah, that was a really brilliant piece. It gets tiresome watching all the other critics fawn over the trash every year.

Thanks!

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:33 pm:   

Well, it''s better than watching them elk or moose over trash. :-)

Sorry.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   

Hi Lucius,

A little out of left field but maybe you can clarify. The Monster thread tweaked part of my brain that had been shut down since a Pink Floyd concert. Back in the early '80s, myself and two friends saw a rock video featuring 'The Monsters'. I recall - though we were somewhat altered at the time - a bald vampiress onstage in a drafty looking castle hall, singing to a few dozen samurai zombies. Much later, I heard you were affiliated with a band called the Monsters. Any relation?

Terrific review by the way!

Cheers,

Bruce

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   

Thanks, Bruce. The band I had an affiliation with was called Destroy All Monsters, and was one of a bunch of bands that all circulated around the same sun, kinda -- it was a punkish to post-punkish outfit fronted by a girl singer, Niagar, who's anthem was a tune called "I'm Bored!" No vampires, at least during my association with the group.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   

I meant, Niagara....not Niagar

R.Wilder
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:11 pm:   

Holy shit! Destroy All Monsters!! Were you in the lineup that included Ron Ashton? What were the years you were in the band? Are you on any of the records? I was a wee pup in Lake Orion when the Monsters were rockin', but became aware of them through The Stooges. Way cool, Lucius!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

I was briefly associated with Monsters during the Ashton period. Don't ask me years now. Early Seventies. I was a guy sat in with them now and then. Not a regular member. There were a bunch of bands who sort of infiltrated one another from time. I may or may not be on record with them. There are so many bootlegs out now, I suspect I must be on some of them. I think I may have mentioned on another thread that Iggy was a good friend of my bass player in a couple of bands and used to come over to our practice room and nod out. :-) But I knew the Ashtons and Wayne Kramer and Fred "Sonic" Smith and all that lot, as well as Commander Cody and Steve MacKay and some of the folks in Asleep at the Wheel. We were all kind of brother bands for a time.

Mr. Oscar
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 05:33 pm:   

Since you hate the current crop of nominees so much, Lucius, what would your nominees for the various awards be?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 06:10 am:   

Mr. Oscar? We talking de la Renta, de la Hoya...What?

Hell, I don't know. Of the movies I saw last year, I'd give best actress to Naomi Watts for 21 Grams, and best actor to either del Toro or Penn for the same movie...

Best Director to Jackson just for logistical and technical mastery...or maybe to Francisco Mirielle for City of God, which was a good movie, despite being a bit exploitative for my tatstes...

Best film I saw last year was Aki Kaurismaki's Man Without A Past. Maybe the best of the Finnish director's career. Another spare, brilliant deadpan comedy. But I think that may have been a 2002 film. I didn't see as many movies last year as I usually do. Maybe I wouldn't have a best movie.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   

BTW, anyone who hasn't seen Kaurismaki and is into really strange, funny movies should try and track down his work. Especially good is The Match Factory Girl, the funniest depressing movie ever made...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register