An Incomplete List of Things I Liked ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » An Incomplete List of Things I Liked This Year « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Patterson
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:13 am:   

That's the spirit, Lucius. Someone (Jeff V?) put you on the spot for a top ten list, and I've got 10 more things I need to own.

http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?rw.2003-shepard

Jeff: Now, could you push him for retro lists?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   

Well, that WAS kind of a retro list -- most of those things weren't new last year. And it was Luis Rodriguez who did the pushing . By the way, I should have mentioned that Johnny Dowd's Wire Flowers CD is thusfar only orderable through Dowd's website.

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   

Liked the Bataclan inclusion, I got that a couple of weeks ago. I'm always a sucker for additional versions of All Tomorrow's Parties.

Richard Patterson
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   

All due respect to Luis Rodriguez for inspiring the list.

I'm keen to try "21 Grams". I never would have noticed Penn and del Toro in "The Pledge", or the movie "Amores Perros", if it wasn't for your reviews. Should be a great combo. I haven't seen any black market copies in China yet. I suppose I'll have to wait for the official DVD. Rats.

And, I have to check out that Chinese history book. It'll be interesting to see if it makes it through customs.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:13 pm:   

Gabe, yeah, I'm a similar sucker. That was a nice little concert.

21 Grams isn't the greatest movie, like I said, watching Penn, Del Toro and Watts...They're just amazing.

One thing I might have added to my list is Lars Von Trier's new movie, Dogville, which is just out on a good Korean DVD, though not yet released here.

Dave G.
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:33 am:   

Lucius: Now I feel like a chump for passing on Bataclan when I had the chance...DOH! Book of Hate sounds amazing and right up my alley...I'm going to start looking for it right away. Ever mindful of your recommendations, I found a used copy of Johnny Dowd's Temporary Shelter at a used record store in CT over Christmas break and am waiting for the right time to bust it out. With a bit of warmer weather and the promise of Johnny coming to town with the Mekons in April, this might be the time.

Any thoughts on TS before I spin it?

Rich
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

I found a great DVD store today. Paid a couple bucks each for high quality copies of Dogville, Spider, and Baran. A nice surprise. Thanks for the tip.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

Dave, Book of Hate is pretty strong. Hope you can track it down. Hope you liked Dowd. I know you'll dig him in concert....

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

Hey, Rich...cool! I wish I could find prices like that!!!!

Rich
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

I'm sure they're boots, all the movies here are, but at least they're ripped from DVDs and have caption options. Even nice artwork. I'm not regularly a supporter of bootlegs BTW, they just seem to be all that's available.

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Well, Dogville has been available for a couple of months from Poker Industries online for anout 30 bucks. Not sure about the other two.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register