HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Third Alternative

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » The Third Alternative « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

My novella "The Park Sweeper" appears in the current issue of The Third Altternative. It's one of a series of stories I'm doing set in the Honduran town of Trujillo - those published thusfar are "Senor Volto" and "The Same Old Story."

I wish The Third Alternative had better distribution over here -- it's a wonderful magazine that tends to feature a lot of newer righters, like, for instance, Jay Lake and David Ira Cleary, who has a great story in the current issue, "The Automatic Circus."

Pick up a copy of any issue if you see it, is my rec.

des
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:18 am:   

I agree about TTA. This is what I put on one of the 'Interstitial' Boards 2 or 3 weeks ago:

"Forgive me if this has mentioned before somewhere on these voluminous threads of Interstitiliaty -- but it seems to me that TTA has been successfully operating effective Interstitiliaty fiction for many many years. This is actually embedded in its full title (of which TTA is an abbreviation): The Third Alternative.
Its latest issue is one of the best so far: TTA #36, currently being discussed here:
http://www.ttapress.com/discus/messages/4/274.html?1069021233
Maybe a better name for it, too, as intestitiality is not easy to say (or spell)! ;-) "

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   

Des, I agree with your view on the name. If Interstitiality is to be marketed, first thing that has to go is "Interstitiality."

:-)

Evan McClanahan
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   

How about 'Liminal Literature'? Hmm... Alliteration isn't great. 'Stories from the Zone' is a Pynchon reference that either no one will get (your readers) and/or everyone will find pretentious (your editors). Interstitial has wonderful technical bite, which, I have the feeling, is why it's favored at the moment. I'm sure that if the movement grows someone will finally think of some way to brilliantly rebrand the movement. Five minutes later, however, the marketing intern at a major publishing house will decide that he likes 'abstract urban fantasy', and his drunken supervisor will OK it, meaning that 'AUF' will be the subgenre title to the public forever more.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:31 pm:   

The thing about movements, they're generally media creations -- or rather they're not real to the public until they become media creations. If the interstitial folk really want to be a movement, they need to thrust themselves into the media by any means necessary. They need to involve publicists, to create events that go far beyond academic conferences. Academic conferences...Sheesh! They need to get in a room with someone who's got a clue about marketing and make a plan. They need a front man, or woman, an Abbie or an Abby Hoffman, who has telegenic savvy and is glib, and they need a name that smokes. They should look for a name not with the idea of finding a word that defines the works they're talking about, but one that evokes a strong image -- some name with a hot word in it, a word like "shock" or "electric" or something cool. They need to get in people's faces about something related to what they do, and then all of sudden have a product to sell. They need to make people want it, and I'm not talking about editors -- I'm talking about people who'll create a demand that editors will respond to. They need to sell whatever Interstitial is like it's a candy bar that'll give you a sugar rush, not a kind of art.

It's all the Emperor's New Clothes, the Emperor's New Weird, or whatever. It's about perception, not reality. They need to figure that out-- they need to recognize that you can sell anytning, even if it doesn't exist...and go from there.

My attitude toward this, however, is likely too proletarian to be truly interstitial.

Evan McClanahan
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:28 pm:   

They do need a marketing person. Even as an SF fan, I must admit to being largely ignorant of the whole intersitial thing. And just getting the word out to the hipsters isn't really all that effective, even if it means that you have more indie cred (whatever that may mean in an SFnal context).

I think that the lynchpin problem here in that there just isn't much that it's all about. It's all well and good to rail voluably against marketing boundaries and the limitations on acquisitions that they impose, but in order to have a movement, you have to have a goal that matters to people other that you, for the most part. Joe Sixpack isn't going to hear the media buzz about intersitiality and think, "Hey, Ah'm all fer them boahs bein' able to sell thar books what 'transcend grenre boundaries', so Ah think Ah'll go out and git me some." In fact, he isn't likely to hear it at all, since the whole intersitial idea is just a non-starter to the people in the media no matter how it is presented. They won't think that anyone will care, so they won't cover the movement, such as it is. Movements need clear goals, and so far, the only goals seem to be, 'Writers older than me rule the genre with an iron hand, and only publish shit. Lets actually start looking to the future again and RISE UP!!!(by sitting down and writing some damned good ficition and getting it out there by hook or by crook)!!!'. Since this isn't really that, and there's no real stated goal, nor even one that I can infer from looking at the various web pages about interstitial SF or what have you, I'm going to go ahead and predict that as a movement, it'll be a total stillbirth, but it has the chance of producing some interesting fiction that will ultimately be marketed in the standard ways within the genre, just like every other cross-genre work from the New Wave to here.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   

I'm with you on the stillbirth thing. That's why I suggested forget product and just go for attitude, draw some attention, get the media (maybe) interested in certain of the people, etc. They need to convince folks that what they're selling is just cool -- I don't know if that's possible, but it might be fun to try.

As far as "interstitial" goes, hell, I don't even know who's interstitial and who's not.

Evan McClanahan
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   

I think that they should hire on Chairman Bruce as a covert consultant. If he was involved, we would all know who was involved and who was antithetical to the movement. Then we can stage a Vandermeer/Paris Hilton tryst to leak to the media and we're off!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:57 pm:   

Yeah, Bruce would love it, anyway. Why not. Paris will be old news. But I like the direction.

Evan McClanahan
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Well, I figured that they'd need an expert, since it looks like the whole 'New Space Opera' thing going on in the UK at the moment looks just barely sub-critical in terms of movement-hood. They'll be some competition there, since the genres (even taken collectively) are a little small in terms of public mindshare to support two movements at once.

As to the Paris thing, I'm sure that there are other, similar socialites out there who could be coopted to our purposes. Further, I think that it would help if some of them were a bit more sleazy. I mean, what's with all this 'Interstitial Fiction writer X lives in Blankety-Blank, Ohio with his/her highschool sweetie and their young child.' Where's the infidelity, where're the drugs? Don't these people realize that they'll never get anywhere in the pantheon of celebrity with long-term, stable relationships and no drug problems?

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

Oh yeah! Got to have your interstitial Courtney Love figure, too....

Any volunteers?

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:11 pm:   

I won't touch that (or Courtney Love)with a ten foot pole but I wanted to put in my push for TTA and its sister magazine Crimewave, both of which look terrific and always have really good fiction. I rec them both in my YBFH every year.

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:11 pm:   

I'll do it!! Pick me!!! I'll be the smacked-out loud-mouthed breaking-into-houses-in-the-middle-of-the-night suing-people temperamental artist!!

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:15 pm:   

Job's your'n. But that's not the entire job description, you understand that? :-)

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:09 pm:   

So, what, I might have to punch somebody or something. I'm okay with that.

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   

Research Courtney, then get back to me. :-)

I'm sure you'll do fine. But you'll need some hair dye and an outa tune guitar.

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   

Huh. I kind of already thought of you that way, Deb. No stretch for me!

Lucius
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:18 pm:   

I just thought of something really funny to say, Deborah, but if I did you'd try to kill me... :-)

I m thinking...never mind. I'm scared

Deborah
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:20 pm:   

Well, then, if I've scared you via remote control, as it were, then I believe the part is mine.

Thanks, Bob, really, you have no idea what that means to me.

Rabblerousing Minz
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

I think Sat night at WFC was a good start Deborah, though you need lots of work on being loud, obnoxious and belligerent (I'm always willing to share my wealth of knowledge in that department . . . and in this case, that sharing might even be welcome.)

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:59 am:   

Does it have to be Paris Hilton? That woman makes me want to throw up. Even if it's manufactured, can it be someone with a little more class? That's all I ask.

JeffV

Deborah
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 11:52 am:   

Minz, I don't believe a sweet guy like you knows anything about being loud, obnoxious and belligerent! Maybe you could teach me that beer glass trick, though, huh?

Jeff has a point there -- the official Interstitial model/celebrity spokesperson ought to be someone a little more, er, seasoned...you think Kate Moss is available?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   

No, but judging by her movie, Underworld, Kate Beckinsale may have a spot or two open in her calendar....

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:08 am:   

Wouldn't more seasoned imply Winona Ryder? Or are we trying for a hottie here? Then I vote Liz Hurley or Krista Allen.

JK

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:32 am:   

Listen, if this whole project is to set Jeff V up with supermodels, then I'm saying we might want to open up the competition here... :-). Krista sounds deightful--see below:

"What’s the worst type of guy?
Guys who have issues. Some people have a lot of issues, and you just want to cancel your subscription. You have your control-freak guy who checks your messages and doesn’t want you to go out of the house—that’s a standard, typical guy.

Or a personal assistant. Have you ever cheated on a guy?

I would never cheat on a guy—ever. I think women are different that way, but I understand that guys think differently. They’re not geared to being monogamous. They’re little boys. The more you tell them they can’t do something, the more they rebel against it. The more you take away his Stuff, the more he wants it. I have girlfriends who say, “How can I tell if he’s going to be faithful?” And I say, “Does he have a penis?” Well, there’s your answer."

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

When I re-read the message I realized that what we were contemplating here was a head-line-grabbing, scandalous, and entirely made-up tryst between Jeff Vandermeer and a Model-or-Actress-to-be-named-later, so I guess we really ought to let Jeff have some say in this...or not.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:34 am:   

Lucis, we crossed, so I didn't see your message there -- boy, sounds like we've got our girl.

Jeff?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

Deborah, yeah, she's a peach, huh? She may have to spend some time with the squid before she can be deemed properly prepared.

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Sounds like she already has.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:45 am:   

LOL!

Er, I was going to suggest I recuse myself from this discussion on account of not wanting to get my ass kicked by my patient but not infinitely-patient wife. In fact, I suggest Jeff Ford. Yes, let's get Jeff Ford to step forward and take the bullet. Sounds like a great idea to me. His first name is even the same.

Deborah--you're so bad.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:46 am:   

Besides, I already had my week of dreams in which I drove a different supermodel to the grocery store to get milk in my pick-up truck. Let someone else share in the glory.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:37 am:   

I think that's "deliver" the bullet, Jeff... :-)

Who drank the milk?

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:55 pm:   

Uh...JV? That makes it sound like you would want to have a tryst with Jeff Ford, rather than some random supermodel. I mean, that's very brave of you and all, but probably not necessary.

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:52 pm:   

Thanks for your help, Tim. Much appreciated. Let me make it quite clear--no tryst with anyone. LOL.

And, Lucius--you're worse than Deborah. LOL!

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:21 pm:   

Worse Than Deborah

That would be the indie spawn of Better Than Ezra, I guess.

I like it -- I may get t-shirts made up, now that worse than Deborah has been clearly defined.... :-)

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   

If I wear one of those will I get stuck in some kind of recursive function and become paralyzed?

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

Perhaps you'd find it liberating. :-)

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:34 pm:   

Excuse me. Why should the interstitial supermodel be a woman? Helloooo? This is the new millenium. heh heh.

seriously though, I'm with you in the understanding that it's too acaedemic in nature at the moment. my only hope is that it will move toward other sorts of possibilities and earths to root in, in the future.

forget Paris Hilton, though. she's a dimestore hag. take me for example. i'm still highly exploitable. (this is ironic in the worst sense)

Chris

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

Hi, Chris. The duties of the supermodel go a little beyond spokesperson -- I made this mistake reading the thread at first, too. Look again. We have to see if Jeff Ford wants to have an imaginary tryst with you...now don't be hurt if he says "no"...people are funny about their imaginary trysts.

Jeff? You out there?

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:17 am:   

I happen to know that Jeff F is not going to be up for this tryst, though he does do a mean version of "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt. :-)

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:29 am:   

It seems I'm getting my chops busted in all quarters these days. On Ellen's board she was digging up that Catholic Fiction thing again just for amusement and now you guys. What am I, the holiday punching bag?
I tell you, you pig skin geniuses will be singing my praises when I sweep the football pool. What I want now is 12 rounds of Bloisson and a tryst with the couch, I'm so god damn fed up with my job.

ellen
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Hi have the perfect supermodel for you all. Dinah who is lean and mean with the supermodel attitude. Of course, she's my younger monster cat but you can tryst with her all you like :-) If you dare.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:04 am:   

Hey, Jeff...I;m kinda missing that boisson myself.

BTW, upthread I picked you to wind. Everyone else who's been following the season closer than you (I assume this from a conversation we had) is liable to overthink things.

We shall see....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:06 am:   

Ellen, first feet and now sex with cats.... :-) Hmmm. You are the Queen of the Dark....

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:17 am:   

Lucius: In reference to your post:
"BTW, upthread I picked you to wind."
If you are picking me to "wind" you've made an excellent selection. Just wait till after six tall boys and the pickled herring.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:24 am:   

Oops..my bad. "Win," if course, was my intent. Otherwise, we'll just await breaking news of a great blustery destruction from Jersey.

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:27 am:   

Ellen:
Do you have photos of your cats anywhere? They've become somewhat legendary, but I've never seen them.
JeffV

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:53 am:   

People, people, people. Let's keep it clean here. All this talk of cats is diluting our message, and dragging us inexorably toward furrydom, where I'm fairly certain we don't want to go.

So Ellen & JV, if you'd please move this over to THE FURRED ALTERNATIVE thread, we'd all be much obliged.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:07 am:   

Jeff V. I believe the cats have their own website and outcall service....Think slinky, black leathery cats...

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

And to think this began as a thread about the third alternative. I think we're on the fifth or sixth alternative now.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

TTA is a cool magazine, everyone should be looking out for it -- but bestiality and Courtney Love, even AndY C would be down for that..

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:04 pm:   

I've just started reading Gregory Maguire's MIRROR, MIRROR and there's a character in there who claims to have been raped by a squid. I thought this thread might be an appropriate place to mention that.

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:10 pm:   

Oh jesus. Is this going to follow me everywhere, inadvertently?

Gregory Maguire, in his infinite politeness, actually read that passage at KGB, prefacing it by saying, "This is for Jeff, who wanted me to read this." I had only inquired about "the squid" prior to the reading because a friend had told me to. I had no context. Was somewhat horrified when context was provided...

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:16 pm:   

Squud rape....Hmmm. I recall Gordon VG almost bought a non-fiction book called, I think, Wet Goddess, about a man who had a sexual relationship with a dolphin. Now that's seriously interstitial....

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:44 pm:   

Gee Jeff, I had no idea. Want me to add a comment to my review to the effect that you were not responsible for any squid content in the book?

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

LOL!

Actually, Lucius, I once made the mistake at a dinner party of making polite conversation with a former navy guy who served on an aircraft carrier. I asked him what the biggest problem was working on an aircraft carrier. His reply was that working on cleaning the hull of the ship near the waterline was the toughest part, because you could always count on sexually-aggressive dolphins to try to hump you. Not exactly the answer I was expecting.

Now I'm not sure what the heck this thread is about.

JeffV

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 04:28 pm:   

Yeah, if we're talking about being humped by dolphins we're on up to the ninth and tenth alternatives.

I think oceanic erotica is following you advertently, Jeff.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 04:32 pm:   

Jeff, ask Gordon about that book -- it's a good story...

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:44 pm:   

Wait, I'm confused. What did Paris Hilton do with a dolphin?

JK

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   

I think Paris was a dolphin in a past life...

ellen
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 06:54 pm:   

Jeez, you guys I leave for a few hours....
Anyway JV and anyone else interested, my darling cats pose in their full glory at:

http://www.datlow.com/gallery/cats/photos01.html

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:00 pm:   

Those are not the real cats...not the cats I saw. Where are the stilletto pumps, the little whips, the eyelet masks...? Ellen, what are you trying to do? :-)

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:32 pm:   

Ellen:

I concur. You leave for a few hours, and it all goes weird. Please don't leave again!

Those are *great* cat photos. What wonderful cats. I can offer only one--of our late, great cat, Pretty Ugly, who loved my wife Ann's shoes...

JeffV

Text description

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 07:35 pm:   

Er, sorry it's so large. Lucius--this thread has become the Chaos Theory of threads, so I hope you don't mind.
JeffV

Christopher Barzak
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   

Ok, well, I guess I'm not as interesting as cats. You learn to lower your standards, right?

And if Jeff Ford doesn't want to have an imaginary tryst with me, then he's an unimaginative cad.

Well, anyway. The cat pic is cool.

Chris

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   

Jeff....the thread needed a little decor. :-)

M. Bishop
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:29 am:   

Help! I'm trapped in dimension Mondo Bizarro with supermodels and felines with shoe fetishes! And I don't even know how I got here!

Mike

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:22 am:   

No, Mike. It's okay. You're actually in Georgia. :-)

ellen
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 08:44 am:   

Lucius, the girls never take their whips and stilettos out in public!

JeffV--Lily, the big cat has to lay on paper, clothing, anything that's on my bed. She's recently started to fight me for the pillow in morning. She wakes me up so that she can sleep on it. Although other times she'll sleep over my head with her tail wrapped around my neck.
Ah cats.

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:28 am:   

Just what is it with cats and slippers? I used to have this cat that if we gave her a certain pair of slippers she'd knead them for hours, purring happily all the while. It was a bit embarassing. After a couple of minutes I'd feel self-conscious and stick the cat and the slippers in some other room so they could be alone.

JV
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

Ellen:
That's one thing I love about cats--they have this thing about texture and place. The pillow thing is very funny.

JeffV

ellen
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:05 pm:   

GabrielM: Dinah, the supermodel likes to knead my head when I'm in bed. I used to think if I let her do it for a little while she'd get tired of it and stop. But no.....she's do it all night if I let her and it really gets on my nerves so I either sneak down under the covers so she can't reach me or push her away (depending on my mood).

Lily right now is laying next to me on the huge copy edited ms of The Faery Reel. She looks very comfy. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 09:44 am:   

This softcore cat porn has got to stop!

I don't hate cats -- just like with people, I like a few, don't care about most. The idea of getting all oogly about cats in general, however, seems akin to getting all oogly about elves.

Grump, grump.... :-)

ellen
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 11:06 pm:   

Lucius, how can you say that! You helped me name Dinah. Remember you were visiting when I had just gotten her and wanted to name her "Rusty?" You thought that was so boring (although it does describe her coloring) so I came up with Dinah from Alice in Wonderland---so you might even be Dinah's godfather. :-)

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   

I didn't say I didn't like DInah--I just was getting crusty about all the cat fancier vibe.... :-) Kind of a general principal thing.

rabblerouser
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:09 am:   

>>Ah cats.
The other white meat . . .

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

Hi. I'm the guy who was trying to publish the novel, "Wet Goddess: Recollections of a Dolphin Lover," that Gordon Van Gelder nearly bought. I'm still trying to publish it, but I have an agent working on it now. And you're right, it is so seriously interstitial nobody can figure out how to place it or what the prospective readership might be, although the overwhelming majority of comments I get about it on the web site (where you can read an older draft of it) are not merely overwhelmingly positive, but show that it touches some people at a very profound level (http://hosted.phindesigns.com/wet_goddess/) I've already written to my agent and suggested she contact Nightshade. If anybody has any other ideas, I would appreciate them. Thanks, Malcolm J. Brenner

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:27 am:   

Good luck, man, Nightshade might be an option.

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

Thank you, Mr. Shepherd. Unfortunately, my agent found that Nightshade is not accepting unsolicted manuscripts at this time.

Your remark,
>Jeff, ask Gordon about that book -- it's a good story...
left me curious. Did you mean that "Wet Goddess" is a good story? If so, thanks for the compliment. Too bad I can't seem to get it published.

Or did you mean that "Gordon has a good story about why he didn't buy 'Wet Goddess'." If so, I'd really appreciate hearing it, because I am trying to figure out why (aside from the obvious reason) this book hasn't sold. My agent is exasperated with the evasive "reasons" we've been given by the publishers who care to respond.

I couldn't even self-publish it through a "print-on-demand" publisher. They dropped it like a chunk of plutonium when they realized, about halfway through the publication process, that it was about "beastiality" (which it most adamantly is not!), and returned all my materials and money, less $40 I paid them to prep the pictures, which they kept, the puking little bastards.

This was 1st Books Library, if anybody cares.

I put the book on line to get people's reactions to it. So far, the comments in the guest book show that not only do most readers react positively to the story, but that it has a profound emotional effect on many of them. Some say they cannot put it down. Others say they have re-read it several times and would still buy a copy if it gets published.

These remarks are very gratifying. I feel like I have achieved something remarkable. Now how do I find a publisher who will tap this audience?

Please forgive my grumblings. Any suggestions anyone might care to make would be appreciated.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:54 am:   

Nightshade is not accepting unsolicited mss. but I forwarded your post to Jason Williams and he's says he's willing to take a look.

Gordon did tell me a story, but I'm sorry, it;s been a while, and I can't remember it.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 04:35 pm:   

Malcolm---

So far as I remember, I don't have a good story as to why St. Martin's didn't buy the book. After I left SMP, I encouraged Bryan Cholfin to pass your manuscript on to another editor, only to find out that he too had left the company.

I did think your story was interesting and admirably honest.

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

Lucius,

Thank you so much! I will pass your information on to my agent. Gordon, thanks for your remarks. "Croissons les doigts," as my agent (she is French) says. Hard for a dolphin to do... Malcolm

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   

Lucius,

Sorry to trouble you again, but my agent, Marylin G. with About Words Agency, would like a word with you about WET GODDESS. I checked your web site but couldn't find any way to e-mail you from it, so this is the only way I know of to get ahold of you. Could you please e-mail me at malcolmb2@comcast.net? I promise not to give it to anybody but her, and she is very trustworthy.

Thanks, Malcolm

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   

Lucius,

My agent sent the manuscript for WET GODDESS to Jason Williams back in August. She says there has been no response in spite of her repeated inquiries. Do you have any idea what is going on? Is this SOP for Nightshade? Any help you can give me would be sincerely appreciated. – Malcolm

Lucius
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   

I'll check it out, Malcom, but it might take till after Xmas.

Lucius

Malcolm J. Brenner
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   

Sincerest thanks. Any help you can give will be deeply appreciated. With two of the top box-office films being an interspecies (albeit platonic) romance and gay cowboys, I wonder how long it will take to get "Wet Goddess" published?
Anyway, a happy holiday to you. – Malcolm

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 06:58 am:   

What is with these spam idiots??? Are they the reason why large sectors of these message boards have been made into private posting areas, requiring registration, and the flow of new messages has slowed to a relative trickle? I miss the old free-wheeling style of these boards.

LS
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 07:43 am:   

Ask the administrators -- I haven't a clue. I'm thinking oh committing bloggery...

All Spammers Must Die
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

Duh, nice site! I are a stunned fuckwit spammer...

The administrators may have to install the 'type the three deformed letters an automatic spammer can't recognize' utility to stop these excremental posts.

Just a suggestion.

LS
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 09:03 am:   

Suggest it on the nightshade topic, if you would. Might help.

No More Spam
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:37 am:   

Sorry, I tried posting the comment below on the general thread as well as on the nightshade thread and the administrator function insisted that both were private areas.

"As suggested by Lucius Shepard, I'll post most of a comment I'd made in his space here.

"The administrators may have to install the 'type the three deformed letters an automatic spammer can't recognize' utility to stop these excremental posts.

Just a suggestion.""

LS
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   

Oh, well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |