HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Here be there movies....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Here be there movies.... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Elusive quotationLucius11-19-08  02:35 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7490
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 05:58 am:   

to get you started, this movie-related item...

http://www.marieclaire.com/life/sex/advice/anal-bleaching

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 08:39 am:   

Thank you for sharing that.

Lucius

Post Number: 7491
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:30 am:   

I hear it's huge in Jersey!

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   

Of course it is.

Seppo13
Username: Seppo13

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   

Shit! THAT explains the weird hair on Nicolas Cage: he was anal-bleached! (Hell, it would certainly make MY hair do strange things)

Hey Lucius, me and the kid got a close-up look at Cage's ongoing hair malfunction when we got a one-day job as extras on "Knowing" (I think it's some sort of toupee -- and I think Tom Hanks borrowed it for "The Davinci Code"). Look for us rioting/looting on the steps of an official-looking ("Boston") government building and running past Cage's truck during the middle of a street riot scene.

In March, when Cage's and My and my daughter's autograph's go up for sale on Ebay, you can get half-price signatures, Lucius. But not YOU robdev! %@#@&! That'll teach ya to dis Cage!
:-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7492
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   

Gordon, more to bleach there... :-)

In March, I'll be in Colombia. No Nick Cage films there.

Robdev
Intermediate Member
Username: Robdev

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 05:35 am:   

Are you sure there are no Cage films in Columbia? I have this fear that he's infected the whole world, or at least the parts with electricity.

Lucius

Post Number: 7493
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 08:18 am:   

Well, there probably are, but I doubt this will open there by the time I leave.

Saw “Edge of Heaven,” the new film by Fatih Akin. Its tone and structure are a lot different from “Head On,” though both pictures are equally concerned with the clash between German and Turkish cultures and characters struggling with that conflict. It’s an ensemble picture, with characters on the whole much more circumspect and hesitant when confronted their particular problems, unlike the passionate, driven woman in “Head On.” And while “Head On”’s protagonist suffered lot for obeying her impulses, there was also satisfaction for her in her commitment to her desires. Folks in “Edge of Heaven” are mostly driven to regret by their passions, and those with the fewest scars by the end are those that figure out how to find a place in life to keep their head down. I wouldn’t say either picture is better or worse than the other: they’re just too different. Perhaps “Edge of Heaven” is wiser, more mature than “Head On.”

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 09:45 am:   

I liked Encounters at the End of the World. It wasn't Herzog's best, but it was nice. It's an odd collection of people at the South Pole, the ones he met are more odd than the guy I knew in college who went. I was amused by Herzog's idea that aerobics and yoga were abominations, but that bowling wasn't.

A lot of the encounters did seem superficial, and that was a little disappointing. The thing that I found most interesting also wasn't explored, the lone penguins who go off towards the mountains. I wanted to follow to see what would happen. More info on them would be far better than another March of the Penguins.
I did wish that more time was spent on getting to know people there

Lucius

Post Number: 7497
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:49 am:   

Yeah, that was basically what I thought. Kind of superficial. Yet it is a film about Antarctica...and that's always good.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member
Username: Dave_g

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:51 pm:   

http://defamer.com/5040511/should-jean+claude-van-damme-start-writing-his-oscar- speech

Lucius

Post Number: 7499
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 02:38 am:   

Variety...pah! I liked it.

Lukedjlaw
Username: Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:47 am:   

Lucius, have you seen Teeth or Surfwise?

Lucius

Post Number: 7500
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 09:11 am:   

Saw teeth. I thought it was okay. Surfwise I don't know.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:23 pm:   

Surfwise was one of the best documentaries I've seen. It's 100% at rottentomatoes.com.

Lucius

Post Number: 7501
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   

Cool. Will check it out when I return....

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 09:42 am:   

Hi guys. Hope you're all doing well.

I have a bit of an off topic question. I'm just back from a two week backpacking trip in Glacier National Park and I'm going through withdrawal. I was thinking to rent A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, but Pitt would make me puke.

Does anyone know of any (good) movies with great cinematography featuring lots of nature and mountains. If it's set in Montana, all the better.

Thanks.

Oh, and I read WATCHMEN on the flight home. It's cool, but only a comic book. And what's more is that it's central thesis has been, er, borrowed and exploited by just about every major comic book movie since it was published. Anyway, Snyder will fuck it up, I'm sure.

Lucius

Post Number: 7511
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:06 am:   

How about Jeremiah Johnson. It was shot in Utah, but it's real purty and not half bad,,,,,,

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:55 am:   

Under Siege 2 was filmed in Montana.

Maybe you could try some Alaska stuff, like Into the Wild or Grizzly Man.

Dave

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 01:16 pm:   

Haven't seen Jeremiah Johnson since I was a kid...might have to go with that. I've seen Into the Wild and Grizzly Man recently.

On another note, here's Babylon AD's director on the film:

"Talking to AMC, French import Mathieu Kassovitz ripped apart his own movie. "I'm very unhappy with the film," he admits. However, he's not taking any of the blame. He says, "I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn't respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience." The result was a film which he categorizes as "pure violence and stupidity." Kassovitz wanted to say something substantive with the film, but instead he ended up with a movie that plays "like a bad episode of 24."

Oi. That ought to be a good one...

Redrichie
Username: Redrichie

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   

Into the Wild irritated me. Sure it looked nice but (and I know that this is a bit harsh considering the outcome of it all) the main dude just seemed like a godawful self-absorbed middle-brow git to me.

But don't let that put you off.

Missed Grizzly man though. May try and catch up with that.

Dave

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 02:45 pm:   

Irritated by Into The Wild? I thought it was one of the best films of 2007. The main dude was self possessed. The rest, the people around him, were self absorbed. That was rather the point of the whole thing.

Grizzly Man irritated me. But it seemed constructed to do so. Drop a bear-obsessed, personality disordered fuck wit in the middle of Griz country and you get personality disordered bear food. As a message about the pathology of the human condition and the impartiality of nature, it worked though. I really liked the film's score too.

Redrichie

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   

Ach, that's true, his parents were awful people too, it's just that it wasn't a lot of fun for me to watch in the end.

Actually, thinking about it he was, in some ways, worse than his parents. His decisions seemed all the worse to me because he was so well off and (apparently) so bright and rebellious. He had opportunities that a lot of people in the world don't and, fair enough, he may not have wanted to do what his parents expected, but the decision to send his college money to charity whilst, on the face of it, worthy, was just another self-indulgent act. If he wanted to "do good" he shouldn't have spent all that time staring at his navel in the middle of nowhere (er rant...ahaha).

In fairness this may say more about me than the film. I have a low-tolerance threshold for that kind of b-s.

Dave

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   

Fair enough. I'll just say this though:

In so far as I can tell, your opinion reflects the establishment opinion - especially that of the outdoor community - in its criticism of his choices. How could he have gone of into the wilderness without the right equipment, the right skills? He was reckless. He was navel gazing.

But, implicitly at least, he recognized something that most people fail to. Authentic, unmediated experience is all but impossible in a modern, materialistic society. In response to the realization that there was no new territory he threw away the maps. His intent was never to do good, but to live in such a way that afforded the sort of experience he valued. To say he was self absorbed seems the back door to questioning his values...which you're entitled to do, of course. But you should probably climb a mountain or two first. ;)

And you should realize that, by his own accounts, he died happy. I'm not sure why that should bother anyone.

Redrichie

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   

That's a fair point, but that's not really where I'm coming from. I didn't really give two-hoots that he didn't have sufficiently sturdy boots, or whatever. It wasn't the recklessness or anything like that, it was the pretension of it all. Although that does give me a nice image of groups of hikers sitting in cinemas tutting at his unpreparedness. Hehe.

It was more the way that in rejecting his parents life choices he chose something that, whilst it's true is about as unmediated as one can get, only takes on meaning when compared to the alternative that he has at home. And I know that nothing exists in a vacuum, etc, but I just never felt that he was as different from his parents as perhaps he'd like to think. Probably I am questioning his values but, like I say, that's because I came out thinking that kid sure is his parent's son. I think that it's only right to question his values (and I don't think I'm pretending that I'm doing anything else) in that instance, given that he was all about questioning values himself. I'm just not that sure (for all his self-absorption! :D) he was as as self-aware as he could've been. That, unfortunately, doesn't make for a compelling personality for me. I say this because I actually felt a little sorry for the people that he met along the way that he, it must be admitted, did charm more than a little. It almost felt that he had betrayed their trust and openness. Surely these are qualities that also struggle to survive in our more atomised society and which are of value?

Ugh...me and mountains don't have a good relationship. The climbing bit is (sort of *pants*) OK, but I'm scared of heights, which rather spoils the experience when one reaches the top. :-)

Although have been reading the Babylon A.D. chat with interest. I really liked La Haine, and suspect that I may cry if I see B.A.D. May wait for someone else to take that hit.

Lucius

Post Number: 7512
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   

Redrichie, La Haine was great, but did you see Gothika, another Kassowitz film--wonder who he blamed that one on.

Thanks for the Kassowitz comments. They're amusing. That dude sold his ass a long time ago and now he's bitching about Hollywood. I'm sure he couldn't make the film the way he wanted, but I'm sure he knew that going in.

Redrichie

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:15 am:   

THAT was him? I didn't realise that!

I didn't see Gothika...but that was because it looked face-meltingly awful. Oh well. Didn't French film-makers used to sneer at Hollywood? Oh for those days....

Lucius

Post Number: 7513
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 01:46 am:   

It was stupid. A lot of them want to make Hollywood films, for the bucks, but then whine about the constraints. It's kinda pathetic.

Seppo13

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 06:02 am:   

Hey Dave: I agree with Lucius about "Jeremiah Johnson" being purty -- and I think its all good. You also might want to check out, "A River Runs Through It." Montana, fly fishing, fucked up brothers, the whole bit.s

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 06:15 am:   

Gothika sucked. Did you see the trailers for Babylon ADD that say "from visionary director..." They make me think of adds for 300 (same comments). I think they're setting up an expectation that visionary director means the movie will be terrible.

I know I've commented about McCandless in another thread, but I can't find it now. I don't quite agree with either of the primary views of him. He survived for a long time in the woods, so he wasn't an idiot. But he also died, and I don't want to romanticize somebody who died needlessly. When I read the book, I though I empathized with him, but seeing the movie made me think he was a jackass. He was a typical young kid who thought that anyone who lived their lives differently from his values was wasting their lives. I saw that attitude a lot in college, I think I even had it myself. He never realized that other people can live their own lives the way that they feel is best, not the way he feels is best. Anyway, the movie made me realize it was Krakauer that I empathized with, not McCandless.

Lucius

Post Number: 7514
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:45 am:   

I just saw Babylon AD. PeeeeYou. This is a film that should have gone straight to video.

Huw
Username: Huw

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   

If you want snowy mountain landscapes, there's the old Mitchum film Track of the Cat...

Lucius

Post Number: 7515
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   

I was trying to think of that one, Huw...plus it's got Mitchum. :-)

Dave

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 08:21 pm:   

So, aside from snowy landscapes, is Track of the Cat good? Why does Mitchum have you ducking behind walls Lucius?

Lucius

Post Number: 7516
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   

No, I like Track fhe Cat,,,,It's a great Mitchum movie, but I think Jeremiah Johnson's better for your purposes.

Lucius

Post Number: 7517
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   

...Or there was a chase movies acouple of years back, with Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan that had great western mountain scenery, Seraphim Falls.

Huw

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 03:39 am:   

I with you on Jeremiah Johnson (I just got the DVD recently). I was thinking of Seraphim Falls too. What did you think of that one, Lucius?

There's some gorgeous mountain scenery in the Lord of the Rings films, of course (especially the first two). There's an old Japanese movie set in the mountains that's nagging at the back of my mind, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Lucius

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 03:52 am:   

Seraphim Falls? Meh. It was okay. Had the virtue of having Michael Wincott in it. But great scenery.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 05:14 am:   

The Edge has some nice scenery, but that's all that it has going for it. Sadly Herzog's film, Scream of Stone, isn't available in the States, but it's got good South American scenery. Like many of his films, it's about obsession, this time with mountain climbing.

I just finished watching Ewan McGregor's documentary series "Long Way Round" about his motorcycle trip across Europe, Asia, and North America. There is some great scenery in that. Although for that kind of scenery, I'd watch Genghis Blues first.

Huw, any recollection of what the Japanese movie was about?

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 08:39 am:   

If you liked THE EDGE with A. Hopkins, you should read Art Linson's WHAT JUST HAPPENED? Some really funny behind the scenes stuff about the making of.

Lucius

Post Number: 7519
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 09:49 am:   

I saw this movie Hopkins directed just before I left, this personal film about a senile scriptwriter--It was so fucking terrible, I can't even tell youand stay away from Baylon AD if you value your mind.

Dave

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. Should keep me busy.

By the way, Lucius, this is a total aside, but you'll appreciate this. I had a big cat encounter while I was in Montana. I was hiking alone on Nasukoin Mountain. I was on a shady alpine ridge line, got a skeeved out feeling. Looked up and over my shoulder. A mountain lion was perched above me, watching me.

It's quite a feeling to have a big cat evaluate your potential as dinner. I about shit myself.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:33 am:   

That's certainly a cool story to tell, I've never been that close to being eaten.

I watched "The Man Who Planted Trees," an animated short about a herder who dedicates his life to planting trees in a valley. It's told by a traveler who stops back every few years to see the progress, as the desolate valley grows into a beautiful forest. It's a very simple message, that a healthy environment improves the lives of everyone near it. The animation was nice, looking more like sketches than a cartoon. I liked it a lot.

Dave

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:25 am:   

>>I've never been that close to being eaten.

All things considered, I'm not sure I was too close to being eaten. After all, I don't look much like a mountain goat or deer and, when it comes to attacking humans, mountain lions have a strong preference for little kids and old people.

Still, I came away from the whole thing believing that, on balance, we'd be better off if more people had the experience of not being at the top of the food chain. It changes your perspective on things a bit. And what a rush.

Seppo13

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   

I was recently in the headlights of a particularly emaciated-looking, brush-tailed possum. I could swear the thing licked it's chops before reconsidering and running off in search of smaller prey.

Other than that, the closest I came to harm out in nature was dodging lightning bolts atop Long's peak in the Rockies (_now_ I know better: lying down is the best thing, not running).

Dave

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   

Oi, lightning. I find lightning much scarier than mountain lions. More capricious.

Back to movies: Legends of the Fall looks great. But sucks. A lot.

Is Pitt that bad in A River Runs THrough It? If I never see him eat his brother's heart again, it;ll be too soon.

Lucius

Post Number: 7521
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:14 am:   

Yes. As Bad as Hopkins in Legends of the Fall.

Watch Jeremial Johnson and be happy.

Huw

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 04:20 am:   

Rob, I've been straining my mind (or what's left of it, thanks to the likes of Uwe Boll and Steven Seagal) but I'm still drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure it was an eighties movie (at least that's when I saw it), but can't remember much more than that, and the fact that (if I'm not mistaken) a remote train station played some part in it.

And now I'm off to watch Jeremiah Johnson...

Dave

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 11:22 am:   

Lucius, Jeremiah Johnson is on order. I await happiness...

It's gonna take a fair bit of work to make me happy after Legends of the Fall though. My god, what a pile of shit that movie is. Bad bad bad. What was I thinking.

Dave

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 02:14 pm:   

Seen this yet Lucius?

http://wrongquestions.blogspot.com/2008/08/fantasy-science-fiction-octobernovemb er.html

She thinks you're a big meanie. You should try to be nicer.

Lucius

Post Number: 7523
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 05:21 am:   

I was nice. "Darryl" is a pal of mine, not a caricature. We have these discussions all the time. It's people like Nusbaum who really piss me off, people who try to intellectualize their opinions about pop culture. The truth is, Pop culture sucks and the only way to undermine it is to lampoon it. Giving critiques on Christian Bale's embodiment if the Batman is like wondering why Porky Pig is mean to Petunia.

Seppo13

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 05:55 am:   

Hey, anyone here ever seen "The Man From Colorado"? It's an old Glenn Ford western (w/ William Holden). I thought Ford did bang-up job as an iredeemable bad guy in "3:10 to Yuma"; but in this flick, he plays a guy driven over the edge into socoipathic and sadistic acts, murdering in cold blood. Man, old Ford could get some scary eyes on 'im when he wanted.

Dave: ya gotta admit, though: "A River..." did have the purty visuals you were seeking (as will "Jerimiah Johnson").

On a wholly unrelated note, I stumbled through IMDB the other day and clicked on a link marked Tom Cruise/Tropic Thunder, thinking it would be a clip of the gooffy dance scene mentioned in reviews. It led me to the guy's site. And when I accidentally clicked the mouse again, the arrow was positioned over something that led to a bunch of clips of his films in the past 25 years. I navigated out before the thing could finish, but I was connected long enough to hear the opening note of (wait for it) "Also Sprach Zarathustra." Who does he think he is -- Elvis Presley?

Lucius

Post Number: 7525
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:58 am:   

At least...

Dave

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 08:29 am:   

>>It's people like Nusbaum who really piss me off, people who try to intellectualize their opinions about pop culture. The truth is, Pop culture sucks and the only way to undermine it is to lampoon it. Giving critiques on Christian Bale's embodiment if the Batman is like wondering why Porky Pig is mean to Petunia.

Well said. Holy crap... that had me laughing. And just feeling sad, knowing we (collectively) get the culture (and bloggers) we deserve.

Lucius, I'm interested in getting your take on this: Where do you draw the line between pop culture and high art (for lack of a better term)? What's your criteria?

Lucius

Post Number: 7526
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 09:02 am:   

Well, I don't know quite how or where to draw that line, obviously. But somewhere north of Batman would be a good place to start. :-) I don't have any set criteria. If the thing under consideration feels like art to me, that's how I go with it. Usually the difference is pretty clear.

Nussbaum's overrated? I never heard of her. I just checked out her blog and saw this way serious discussion of TDK. Hoo, boy.

Dave

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:55 am:   

Yeah, her blog is a bit of a joke. I check it every now and then for some reason though. For what it's worth, my opinion is that Nussbaum's opinions are overly mired in over take-me-seriously feminist and deconstructionist rhetoric for someone who, apparently, just sits around watching TV and reading all the damn time.

I think that's why I go there to be honest. She keeps me motivated to climb mountains. I mean...she bought and watched all of Deep Space Nine recently and then wrote some really long essays about the show. What a waste of life. Is someone paying her by the word?

I think I came across her blog when she posted something about M John Harrison.

Dave

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:57 am:   

You know, why don't you post something in her comments section? I'd love to see how she responds to your Porky Pig statement.

Or is that kinda inappropriate? I don't know the professional rules for these sorts of things...

Lucius

Post Number: 7527
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:16 am:   

Dave, she started it. I'm posting something on my blog. I'll leave her the url in her comments. Can I quite your post?

Jwk
Username: Jwk

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:29 am:   

Watched an Italian howler called Revolver, with Oliver Reed. And a Morricone score. Really awful, on-the-nose dialogue. And they dubbed Reed's voice! Why in the world would they dub an actor who speaks English? He has a ridiculous dubbed American voice. It's a hoot. The most interesting thing about the dvd was reading in the bio extras section that he got that scar on his face in a bar fight.
As far as Revolver, I guess he'd do anything if the money was good enough.

Jwk

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:30 am:   

I thought Legends of the Fall was about Mark E. Smith.

Lucius

Post Number: 7528
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   

Fuck, I couldn't post on her blog. Fucking software wouldn't let me,

Dave

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   

I can post it if you want. Love to be an instigator.

Lucius

Post Number: 7529
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   

It;s okay. There's a foodfight already starting on my blog. :-) She knows. Thanks.

Lucius

Post Number: 7530
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:42 am:   

JK, I think I may have seen Revolver a while ago, but it blends in memory with other Oliver Reed crapfests, so I'm not sure. He was a cool actor, but had to support his various appetites.

Dorman, Glen Ford was an underrated actor, capable of doing good work when given the chance. I still prefer the original 3:10 to the Russell Crowe remake,

Seppo13

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:20 am:   

Hey Lucius,
He was that. When I was younger, and didn't know better, thought he was just okay. Found "The Man From Colorado" in the bargain area of a grocery store here in Oz. If you ever get a chance to rent it, do so. Although (like a lot of films) the second half isn't as strong, the underlying (and overlying :-) ) commentary on war and its effects in the first half of the movie make it a film which (in my admittedly skewed view of the world) still resonates.

Lucius

Post Number: 7531
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:05 am:   

He was cool in Experiment in Terror with Lee Remick and Ross Martin. He made a lot of cool movies. The Rounders, Day of the Evil Gun, Jubal, the Big Heat, The Violent Men, Rage..The Big Heat dir. by Fritz Lang is probably the best.

Seppo13

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 05:23 am:   

Thanks Lucius. I know I've seen Jubal, but not sure about the rest. I'll have to track 'em down and check em out. Thanks for the recommendations in your last blog (about the two films seen in Sweden: the vampire flick and the SF one from the Mexican director. I'll be snapping those up when they hit DVD in their respective countries.

Lucius

Post Number: 7532
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:38 am:   

Let the right one in is extraordinary. A marvelous vampire picture.
You won't regret seeing it.

Seppo13

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 03:18 am:   

Yeah, I could tell by your review of it. Looking forward to seeing it. By the way, I agree with you regarding the orignial "3:10 to Yuma" with one exception: I wish Christian Bale could magically go back in time and replace Van Heflin. For me, Heflin was always a so-so actor, and it seems that every part he played came off a bit whiny and wimpy. I can't help it: Everytime I see the guy in a movie I wanna bitch slap him back to the womb. :-)

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 05:23 am:   

I watched the original 3:10 again and was more impressed with it the second time. So much is said in the movie with just glances and facial expressions. All the subtlety and character was lost in the remake.

Lucius

Post Number: 7533
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 06:36 am:   

Plus the ending, Russell Crowe turning from a stone killer into a jolly rogue, that was awful/ Then there was the middle, and the begining...

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:41 am:   

I was reading Los Angeles magazine's 25 Best LA films of all time, and I just had to make note of this mention of Charles Burnett's great forgotten movie:

21. To Sleep With Anger (1990)

Now that his classic "Killer of Sheep" has been handsomely reissued, this is perhaps the Charles Burnett theatrical feature most deserving of rediscovery. It stars Danny Glover in a marvelous performance as the mysterious, insinuating Harry Mention, possibly a trickster straight out of African American folklore -- and possibly not. What is without doubt is Mention's ability to sow chaos when he shows up at the Los Angeles home of an old friend played by Paul Butler. Aside from strong acting (the cast includes Mary Alice, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Carl Lumbly, Vonetta McGee and Richard Brooks), "To Sleep With Anger" offers a penetrating look at a Los Angeles community that almost never gets screen time, the African American middle class.

Money talks: Burnett has so much trouble raising funds for theatrical features that some of his best work, like "Nightjohn," has been done for television.

-- K.T.

I saw this about 20+ years ago at a rep house in Cambridge and I don't think I've seen it played anywhere since. Apparently, it was never released on Region 1 DVD.

As I recall, it was pretty extraordinary.

Lucius

Post Number: 7534
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 06:14 pm:   

I liked to sleep with anger better than Killer of Sheep, actually. I seem to remember it in VHS or DVD, because I watched it several time, bt I can't be sure, because I lose DVDs and videos like pennies. Anyway, it's a great flick.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 06:18 am:   

Haven't seen Killer of Sheep, but I watched Black Sheep last night. Low budget NZ movie about genetically engineered sheep eating people. It wasn't a camp classic, but it was mildly amusing.

Lucius

Post Number: 7535
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 08:19 am:   

Yeah, I saw that. I liked it, kinda.

To Sleep with Anger is another one to look out for. Danny Glover is extraordinary.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 02:49 pm:   

What do you know about Aaronofsky's new THE WRESTLER starring Mickey Rourke as a down at the heels pro wrestler? Variety raves about it. Personally, as a pro wrestling fan, I want to see it. I think the casting is perfect; the post-matinee-idol Rourke has been capable of some great performances, such as his turn in THE PLEDGE. I have high hopes.

Jwk

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 09:10 pm:   

Whatever happened to Flicker?

Lucius

Post Number: 7536
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   

Yeah, I'lll probably see the wrestler, but this almost put me off it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDainAvvrk

check out what the Mick is wearing at the minute mark...My god.

JK. like many projects Aaronofsky's flirted with, this has been abandoned.

Lucius

Post Number: 7537
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 05:33 am:   

Saw the Silence of Lorna, the new Dardennes Bros, film, and Gomorah, a new mafioso film of of Italy, Dug Gomorah, but thought Lorna was pretty weak...weaker than their other films.

Jwk

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:01 am:   

Too bad about Flicker. Typical though. They like something one day and are all gung-ho to make it, then the next day they'll not want anything to do with it.

Huw

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   

I'm watching the fifth season of The Wire at the moment. Am I alone in thinking it's one of the best things that's been on television in years?

Lucius

Post Number: 7538
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 01:04 am:   

JK, Blame it on Aaronofsky--he could have gotten it made, he just flitted off to do the Wrestler.

On American television, anyway, Huw. For sure.

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 09:15 am:   

One interesting thing about THE WIRE is how it has changed George Pelecanos's fiction.

Here's one interview where he mentions the change: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/aug/07/crime

There was an even better interview (I think it was with PUBLISHERS WEEKLY but I can't find it now) where he says that he used to think government could do a lot to solve drug problems if they threw more money and manpower into the effort. After THE WIRE, he no longer thinks that.

Hmm, I thought it was this interview, http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6584020.html?nid=2286&source=title&rid, but now I don't see that particular comment.

Aha, here it is: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/07/18/ST2008071801830.ht ml?sid=ST2008071801830&s_pos=list : "Sometimes I think 'The Wire' said it all, and I might as well not write any more crime novels."

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:53 am:   

You weren't kidding about the scenery in Jeremiah Johnson. Much better landscapes than the other stuff I mentioned.

Lucius

Post Number: 7540
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 06:44 am:   

Yeah, it's not a bad flick, either. It's a movie I can put on from time to time and rewatch just for certain parts and the scenery and et al.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 05:12 am:   

Besides the scenery, I liked how it didn't have a message. It just told a story. Something like Into the Wild tries to ram a message down your throat, and it's a really obvious message.

Lucius

Post Number: 7541
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 05:26 am:   

Yeah, it's just a story, an authentic-feeling story, from which you can draw your own inferences. Don't make 'em like that any more.

Lucius

Post Number: 7544
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   

Did you know that W Herzog is remaking Bad Lieutenant with Nicolas Cage? Oh My God!
If you want to see something really funny, go here:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=4KbzoY9JUCg

Love the tag line!

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 06:25 am:   

Didn't we talk about the remake in an earlier thread? I seem to recall thinking Herzog is a plus, but a remake is a minus, and it's got Cage, so it's an immediate skip.

On the other hand, the Command Performance trailer is hilarious.

Lucius

Post Number: 7545
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:05 am:   

Yup. :-) His drumming is so authentic-looking too!

Yeah, but I didn't know Herzog was involved...at least I think I didn't.

Jwk

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:36 pm:   

Coming soon...direct to video. He looks like he was trying to play free jazz during that middle part. Heh. Is that Tom Cruise on the cow bell?

Lucius

Post Number: 7546
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 02:06 am:   

It is Tom. He was voted number 1 cowbell player in the Scientology Jazz Poll...

Yeah, somebody on my blog said it looked authentic to him, the drumming. Fuck, it's a masterpiece of editing, like Dolph's kung fu in Little Tokyo.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   

What's the general opinion of "No Country for Old Men?" I tried watching it the other night and just found it completely uninteresting. I'm wondering if I should give it another chance. Then again, I haven't really enjoyed Coen brothers stuff, maybe I should give up on them even with Oscar wins.

Lucius

Post Number: 7548
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   

Yea! Someone agrees with me. An art-directed serial killer movie full of logical misteps and stupid fucking prose poems (like the ending). It's really mot a very good movie.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   

I didn't get to the end, after about 40 minutes, I realized I had stopped paying attention about 20 minutes earlier. I turned it off.

Dave

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I thought the NCfOM was weak. The book was better, but still just so-so. Didn't hold a candle to There Will Be Blood which I saw in the same week when they were both in theaters.

You know, I witnessed an interesting phenomenon with NCfOM. I saw it in the theater with my brother who had been reading all the hype before the movie came out. After Tommy Lee had delivered that lame account of his dream and the credits rolled, I let out some audible statement of my displeasure. My brother just looked perplexed, both by his own lack of response to the film and mine which was out of step with the hype that he'd read. The movie obviously hadn't amounted to much to him, but he couldn't explain the dissonance between the hype he'd read and his dissatisfying viewing experience... So he went off and read the kind of bullshit blog analyses that Abigail Nussbaum write, and then (and only then) decided that he liked it. I'm convinced that a lot of viewers do this because they just don't have an adequate enough critical tool kit to come to their own opinions.

Anyway, that movie just kinda sucked. So do most movies that Tommy Lee is in.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 08:37 am:   

Anybody else like I Heart Huckabee's? I caught a piece of it on cable and almost laughed myself hoarse. And personally, I Heart Isabelle Huppert.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:53 am:   

I don't remember much about the movie now, but I do recall enjoying Huckabees.

Lucius

Post Number: 7551
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   

Didn't think it was very funny at all.

Dave

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:03 am:   

Did you guys see that the director of Soft For Digging has a new film set for release soon. It's called The Burrowers. Some sort of horror western with Clancy Brown.

I hope it's good. I liked Soft For Digging.

Lucius

Post Number: 7552
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   

Me too.

Liked it a lot

Dave

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   

Burrowers trailer:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/bdtv/Player.php?id=2030

It has promise I'd say. Looks pretty, but maybe a little derivative.

Jwk

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   

Soft For Digging was shot for $9000. Wow. I'll have to check it out to see what they did with that budget. Interesting.

Jwk

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   

Watched a pretty amusing Finnish film called Lights In The Dusk, directed by Aki Kaurismäki.
A deadpan take on film noir cliches. Security guard loser gets played for a sucker by femme fatale and her crime boss boyfriend, with bone-dry humor.

Lucius

Post Number: 7555
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:44 am:   

Saw it. A real good Kaurismaki.

They did good with 9Gs.

Dave

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   

>>They did good with 9Gs.

I don't know. They kinda skimped on the dialogue. ;)

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   

30 days of Night, 2 hours of boredom. Thanks to comments here I was expecting bad, but I didn't realize how boring it would be. I put it on last night hoping it would put me to sleep, since I often turn on action movies as a cure for insomnia. Sadly, insomnia won and I saw all of it.

I think I need to get a copy of Bone Collector on DVD. I've never stayed awake through the whole movie. Every time I turn it on, I'm out within 30 minutes, even if I wasn't tired in the beginning.

Lucius

Post Number: 7556
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   

For insomnia I try thinking about something I'm working on when I close my eyes. Does it for me every time... :-)

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 05:16 am:   

I had better movie luck last night, went to the theater for a screening of Gojira. The actual Japanese version, not the US one with Raymond Burr. It was part of a series of films and talks to commemorate the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Lucius

Post Number: 7557
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:12 am:   

Yeah, that was pretty much of a classic. I have some great movies on DVD to watch, but no time to watch them.

Dave

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:42 am:   

Finally watched Jeremiah Johnson last night. Nice flick with pretty photography. I was struck by the simplicity of the story and emphasis on character rather than plot. Seems to have held up fairly well.

I also watched Last of the Mohicans this past weekend while I was in a cabin in the Adirondacks. Also a very well photographed movie...but I found the scenery hard to enjoy for nit picky reasons. It was set in the 'Dacks, but filmed in North Carolina, so I kept thinking "no, no, no...that's not how it looks here". Still, it's a fun, pretty, cheesey movie.

Lucius

Post Number: 7558
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:31 am:   

Yeah. JJ is a heckuva movie. I recently watched the Sting, with Newman, Redford, and Shaw--that held up pretty well, too.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:56 am:   

I've never seen Queer as Folk either, I just can't imagine Toronto standing in for Pittsburgh. The two look nothing alike.

Lucius

Post Number: 7561
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   

No shit! Though they're both pretty cool cities.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   

So, now that Quarantine is coming out in the US, do you think this means that [Rec] will get a DVD release?

Saw the trailer for Stone's W. Could be funny. Is this the first-ever movie satire on a sitting US president?

Lucius

Post Number: 7562
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   

I don't know--You can buy the dvd on Diabolik DVD if you have an all region player. I would hope so.

I'm off Oliver Stone completely.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:05 am:   

I thought Diabolik went out of business...

Sad to say, I don't have an all-region player. I use my Mac, which only lets you switch regions five times before the function self-destructs. Maybe I'll get [Rec] and use my last switchover for a Region 2-Fest featuring the copy of Salo that my friend in London sent me...

Lucius

Post Number: 7563
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:19 am:   

Xploited Cinema went out of business.

You can buy ann adequate all region player for 50 bucks, dave, But yeah, Rec is bound to be way better than Quarantine.

Jwk

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:11 am:   

Salo? Hope you like watching people eat shit. I turned that movie off.
Lucius, have you seen Chemical Wedding yet? It got a region 2 release. Supposedly Anchor Bay will do a region 1, who knows when. I heard an interview with the director. He talks about how the end is a battle between science and magic, about quantuam physics in the script, and about how the structure is based on The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosencruentz(sp?). Sound interesting, but who knows. The producers wanted to make it more of a horror movie and have Crowley drink blood!

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:19 am:   

Chemical Wedding: A movie by Bruce Dickenson sounds like comedy gold.

Jwk

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:37 am:   

That's what I'm worried about too. Supposedly the director (2nd unit on Time Bandits, Brazil, other Gilliam and Python stuff), rewrote a large part of it. It was originally a period piece during Crowley's time.

Lucius

Post Number: 7564
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 02:16 am:   

I looked at the trailer--it seemed a mess, but it might be worth checking out.

Dave

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   

Any chance Appaloosa doesn't suck? What about Choke?
Is there anything coming out in the near future that looks promising?

Nothing slated for release in the near future seems that interesting...

Lucius

Post Number: 7567
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   

I'm not interested in Pahauniak, and I don't think there's much chance of Apaloosa not sucking, I haven''t been to keep up over here with the cinema. Seen a lot of good movies, though. All foreign, Gomorrah, an Italian mafia movie is great, Check that out when it comes. Waltz with Bashir, a cool Israeli animated film is awesome. There's a prettty good martial arts flick by the makers of Ong Bak called Chocolate. Not much of a plot, but the star, a young girl named JeenJa Yanin, is a total fighting freak, That's alll I can thinkk of this early.
Ong Bak 2 is coming.

Dave

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   

Bummer that nothing on the horizon seems very promising. I'll keep an eye out for the films you mentioned though.

In other news, I got rid of cable today. No more TV. I feel free.

Dave

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   

By the way, be careful reading reviews for People's Act... if you're looking for a book to read. A lot of them reveal waaay to much.

Reading the book without knowing anything about it is the way to go.

Lucius

Post Number: 7569
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   

Thanks for the tip, Dave--I just ordered Poeple's Act.

I don't know about the road. I assume I'll see it, but I may wait for DVD. I go on and off it all the time,

Dave

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:28 am:   

Cool. I hope you like it as much as i did Lucius.

By the way, did I recently read a post of yours somewhere mentioning that you plan on being in NYC soon? If your schedule allows, it'd be cool to meet up while you're here.

Lucius

Post Number: 7570
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   

Gonna be there from the 8th to the fifteenth...six days, It might be possible. We'll talk as the date nears.

Jwk

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:40 am:   

Watched a pretty interesting film by the director of the Japanese movie Uzumaki. Called Long Dream, about a guy who checks into a hospital because he's having nightmares that last days long. Then they start to get longer, lasting years, but he still wakes up the next morning. As the dreams lengthen his body starts to mutate strangely. More weird eyeball stuff like in Uzumaki.
Pretty low budget, but there were some interesting ideas in it. Only an hour long, looks like it was made for Japanese tv. Sort of like a Masters of Horror episode, but good.

Huw

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   

I quite like it, but prefer Uzumaki. Long Dream was (like Uzumaki) based on a story by Junji Ito, in one of his horror comics. Junji Ito has done a lot of really weird stuff. Some of it is way out there...

Lucius

Post Number: 7571
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:25 am:   

Yeah, I was going to buy it but was put off by the length.

Saw a great little film, Take Out--this is as good as microbudget filmmaking gets. The story is about an Illegal, Ming Ding (played brilliantly by Chalres Jang) who earns a living working for tips, making deliveries for an NYC Chinese restaurant and sending money to his family in China. He owes money to the smuggler who got him in and one morning is awoken by thugs who assault him with a hammer and tell him if he doesn't come up with 800 bucks (the juice on the loan) by evening, he's dead. It;'s an impossible sum, and his attemptsto get make for a excellent thriller and at the same time a devastating portrait of contemporary society comprised of his various customers. It's harrowing and just a terrific movie.

Also saw Hansel and Gretel, a Korean film that turns the old fairy tale on its head, putting a young Korean man into a forest after a car wreck where he meets some strange kids who live in the House of Happy Children. It's quite a trip through the twisted minds of these kids...

Huw

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 01:36 am:   

Those both sound interesting. I notice Hansel and Gretel is by the director of Antarctic Journal, another decent little Korean film.

Lucius

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 04:08 am:   

Yup, Phil-Son Yim, I think. This is cool. But Take Out is awesome.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   

Take Out and JCVD are on Netflix, but not Hansel and Gretel or Eyes of the Abyss.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 08:48 am:   

Recently enjoyed Chapter 27 with Jared Leto and In the Valley of Elah with T.L. Jones, although I can see how folks might take issue with the rather grim picture it paints of the military.

I Know Who Killed Me with L. Lohan was truly awful; creepy for the first half and dull and drawn-out for the second. When I say "creepy", I'm not being complimentary. It seems like the target audience for this flick was sociopathic Lohan-stalkers.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:47 am:   

Nothing good of note in my viewing. Plane flight subjected me to Hancock. Awful superhero movie, but not "so bad it's good" just so bad. Get Smart was shown too, but the sound cut out a lot, so the jokes were largely inaudible. We were left with Carrell's physical comedy, which wasn't great.

Soft for Digging is coming from Netflix soon.

Lucius

Post Number: 7576
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:11 am:   

Hey, Dave....

long time no...

Saw Snow, a bosnian film about a village of women who can fruit and veggies by day, and by night sit around and imitate the men they the men they have lost. It's surprisingly effective. Well worth your time. Won the Jury Prize at Cannes. But still the best films I've seen this summer remains the Italian Mafia film Gommorah and Walz with Bashir.

I liked Soft for Digging. Col flick. Looking forward to his next.

Jwk

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:08 am:   

Seen Mindflesh by the director of London Voodoo, yet Lucius? Looks like it has gotten a release, of sorts. http://www.mind-flesh.com/ $9.95 to download it, and $19.95 for a createspace DVDr. I'd like to see it, but I'm not paying $19.95 for a crummy DVDr. They should mention on the official website that it's actually DVDr. Createspace is Amazon.com's company that sells CDr and DVDr pressings of films and music. Netflix doesn't have it, I don't think they'll carry DVDr format. There's no protective coating like on factory pressed DVDs, so they'd have lots of trouble with malfunctioning discs after they've been sent though the mail a few times.
Anyway, it looks pretty cool, like something Cronenberg might have done back in the 70's.

Jwk

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:58 am:   

Resonance fm has had some interesting interviews lately with film makers. Guy Maddin, Julian Doyle from Chemical Wedding, Malcolm McDowell, Chris Carter from X-files, coverage of Cine-Exess horror festival in England, coverage of Sci-Fi London. Here's a link for anyone interested http://podcasts.resonancefm.com/archives/category/shows/im-ready-for-my-closeup
There's also a new interview under the podcast section with Alan Moore, talking about Whitechapel and psychogeography.

Lucius

Post Number: 7577
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   

Naw, haven't seen it. I'm kinda out of the loop for that sort of thing over here. Maybe when I get back. It does look cool.

Dave

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   

Just finished watching the first season of The Wire. That was some damn good stuff. Hope the following seasons are as good.

Also, saw Old Joy a week ago or so. Very fine little flick. Closest a movie has ever come to replicating short story form? I think so, but what do I know.

Lucius

Post Number: 7582
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   

I liked old Joy, too. Maybe....on the short story question. tho Jarmusch's Down By law comes to mind.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 06:39 am:   

I liked Old Joy. I can't think of another full-length film that seemed as much like a short story.

Still haven't found time to watch Soft for Digging. I tried watching Iron Man again on the weekend and found it didn't hold up well. I felt like I was watching a 2 hour long commercial, not for a specific product, but for consumption in general.

I got the DVD through Netflix because I wanted to get the instrumental version of Iron Man that played during the credits (it wasn't on the soundtrack).

Jwk

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:41 am:   

Watched a British film from 1979 called Radio On, directed by Chris Petit. Seemed to me heavily influenced by Antonioni and French New Wave films. A guy drives to another city to find out what happened to his dead brother, but he doesn't find out much of anything. Most of it is a road movie of sorts. Bowie, Kraftwerk, Devo, Fripp, and others feature heavily in the soundtrack. It's shot in stark black and white, and is pretty grim overall.

Lucius

Post Number: 7584
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   

I dug Radio On, except for the Sting cameo. :-(

ITMOM is an Awesome Carpenter...just about my favorite.

I'm a big fan of Soft for Digging--Ibut the burrowers, I don't know. The trailer doesn't look that great.

Jwk

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 01:12 am:   

Yeah, that Stink cameo. I didn't even realize it was him for a few minutes.
I'm interested in seeing some of Petit's other stuff after that. He did some movies in the early eighties that look interesting, but no dvd releases. Lately seems to be focusing on documentaries. He did London Orbital with Iain Sinclair, which seems pretty hard to find.

Lucius

Post Number: 7585
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:07 am:   

I heard the docus were good, but haven't seen any. But Radio On is excellente...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:08 am:   

Instead of watching the inane coverage last night, I had a quiet night in with Soft for Digging. Nice little movie, very effective without dialog.

Lucius

Post Number: 7587
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:42 am:   

Another Soft for Digging fan. Yep, purty good. Lets hope the Burrowers is good as well.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:56 am:   

The Three Rivers Film Festival starts tomorrow. It will be a week before the only "must-see" movie on the list, JCVD. The rest is stuff I'll try to catch if I have time. Lots of foreign titles (Poland, Korea, Japan, France, Spain), and a few local productions.

Redrichie

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   

By the by on the subject of Gomorrah (mentioned away back) - very, very good incidentally - was it just my imagination or did the trailer for it make the film seem really fucken' dumb? I have to confess that although I had read much in the way of enthusiastic splurge about it, the trailer looked like somebody was going to get capped every 3 minutes. Fair enough, it is fairly grim and people do get shot, but I think that it was a deeper and much subtler film than the trailer made out. If I hadn't read elsewhere about its qualities I may have thought twice about seeing it, which would've been a real shame. I suppose it's a bit much to expect a short trailer to have the depth of a 2 1/2 hour movie, but don't make it look like it was made by Guy Ritchie on the other hand!

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   

E Street Theater here is opening LET THE RIGHT ONE IN Friday and JCVD in a week. Yay!

I've been on a real losing streak with my horror flix lately...last night, STRANGELAND. Wow, is that one awful. Almost unwatchable, with editing that leaves huge unexplained plot holes.

Lucius

Post Number: 7588
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 01:31 am:   

I didn't see the trailer for Gomorrah, just the movie, but I imagine they were trying to lower the demographic.

I didn't think JCVD would get an American release--that's cool, It's an interesting little movie. The end is manipulative, but I think the director was making a statement by letting JCVD talk...

Lucius

Post Number: 7589
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 06:58 am:   

One of the movies at the festival I'm attending next week is Dante ) by Mark Caro, the film by the Delicatessan guy. Looks like I may have to see it afer all, JK. Here the complete program:

http://www.scienceplusfiction.org/film.php

Jwk

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:40 am:   

Cool. Looks like Dominique Pinon from Delicatessan and City of Lost Children is in it.
Looks like Chemical Wedding is playing too. And the new Nicolas Roeg movie, Puffball. Puffball sounds kind of interesting, but hasn't gotten very good reviews.
The Possibility of an Island might be interesting too. Directorial debut by the French writer who wrote that Lovecraft book Against the World.
Looks like some cool stuff (except for Death Race, by Mortal Combat director). Have fun.

Lucius

Post Number: 7590
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:33 am:   

Puffball is horrid. Chemical Wedding don't look real good, and I think a movie directed by Hollenbeq or whatever is name is would be fuck all... :-) But there will be some cool stuff. I'll try.

Dave

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   

I saw Let The Right One In this weekend. Pretty good film. I came away wondering why it even needed to be a vampire flick. And I mean that as a good thing.

The one thing about the film that bugged me was how incompetent Eli's slave/dad was. How did they ever manage before the film started? Where had they come from and why would the choose to move somewhere that he couldn't do his job? And why was he with her to begin with?

That's relatively minor stuff though. I thought it was great and I'd like to see it again. I loved the cinematography. Landscape was used to great effect as an extension of character. And the hand on the window thing worked nicely throughout.

I think I'd like to read the book.

Thanks for the recommendation Lucius.

Lucius

Post Number: 7591
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   

Why is it a vampire film? It's a lot of the same reasons I use fantasy--it amplified the story,, made it stronger. I got the idea from the movie that Eli's slave had been competent but that he was growing less so, failing more and more often, and that was why they had moved to the city--so she could find a replacement. It seemed that was implicit in the idea, maybe it's stronger in the book.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 09:22 am:   

Over the weekend, I saw Nacho Cerda's THE ABANDONED, which I would highly recommend. Best horror flick I've seen in a while. His new one, COFFIN OF LIGHT, sounds, from the description on IMDB, a little bit similar to a book Lucius recommended to me, Theodore Rozak's Flicker:

"A look back on the Spanish horror film industry of the '70s which follows Sergio del Monte, a cinematographer turned director who was murdered mysteriously three days into the making of his film debut, apparently due to the issues he dealt with in his picture. According to the facts, he was using some revolutionary lighting technics to show an alternative reality that the human eye can't see. After his death, the producers involved in the backing of such project also died from a brain tumor after watching the remaining footage. It was suspected that these deaths were in fact caused by extreme right wing groups who after Franco's death were afraid the regime to fall apart so they went onto a killing spree in order to preserve it."

OK, I'm interested...

Lucius

Post Number: 7593
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:27 am:   

I thought the Abandoned was pretty pedestrian--maybe I was expecting more. But I have to admit the new one sounds cool.

Dave

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 01:31 pm:   

>>it amplified the story

Yeah, Lucius. With the big pay off being the pool scene. Couldn't have had a climax like that without the horror element I guess.

Interesting take on the old dude with Eli too Lucius. Maybe I missed something with respect to that. I read it as part of the consistent theme of adults, especially parents, failing and negecting kids (even vampire kids). But I thought the film kind of tripped over itself with the their relationship as there was no way a dunce like that could have been providing for her prior to the opening of the film. I mean, he hangs that first kid up in a brightly lit park with a road a stone's throw away. I just found it a little distracting is all.

It's a minor thing in the end though. I really enjoyed the film.

Seppo13

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:56 am:   

Hey Lucius! Your excitement over "Let the Right One In" carried over to D. Ansen (I think that is the guy's name) at "Newsweek," were he recommended it highly, along with "Changeling."

Dave

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:11 am:   

Marc Forster, who did the recent Bond film, was just announced as the director for World War Z. Ideally, I'm not sure who I would want to direct Z, but Forster's name wasn't at the top of my list. Kind of a bummer.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 05:56 am:   

After seeing the new Bond, Forster wouldn't be at the top of my list for anything. Shitty action, more like Bourne with jerky cameras and quick cuts, I could barely follow most action sequences. Quite a let down from the parkour chase scene from the beginning of Casino Royale.

On a more positive note, JCVD was good. He gave a pretty good performance, far better than I expected from him. I wonder if he'll be able to get some more dramatic roles after it.

Lucius

Post Number: 7594
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:29 am:   

Back from Trieste. Met Mark Caro, who is a hell of a nice guy, but his film, Dante 0, Is pretty bad...not nearly so bad, however, as the Michael Houellebecq movie, the Possibility of an Island, which is one of the most pretentious heaps of steaming shit I've ever seen. Truthfully, I only stayed for half--that was all I could take--but from all reports it did not improve. Not very many good movies at the festival, but I had a hell of a good time. The people at the festival were wonderful, the food was great, the grappa flowed. I had a blast. More later. I'm dead tired (partied all night last night) and need to veg out.

Dave, you should read the book of Let the right one in. Most illuminating.

Dorman, my influence continues to grow... :-)

Dave

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 01:17 pm:   

Lucius, I already ordered the book. Since it seems like you've read it, I have a question for you: is the prose as plain as it seems in the online sample. I figure it might be a translation issue, but the prose was about as flat and nondescript as you can get. Or so it seemed to me...

As an aside, I think I fried Amazon's recommendation software when I placed my order. I bought Let The Right One In, Climbing Anchors by John Long, and The Dynamic Reti by Davies. Now rock climbing and chess books pop up when you view Let The Right One In. Kind of funny.

Lucius

Post Number: 7596
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:17 am:   

Yep, it's not real fancy, but it could be a translation issue...

Dave

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:11 am:   

>>Yep, it's not real fancy, but it could be a translation issue...

Not a big deal I guess. I'm left feeling slightly deprived access to the "real" text, but I'm obsessional like that.

Speaking of vampire flicks, let's open this can of worms: what's the best film adaptation of Stoker's Dracula? I recently rewatched bits of the Copola version and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was when I saw it initially in Junior High.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   

I remember Lucius recommended a 1970s BBC adaptation of Dracula. I have a vague memory of watching it in high school and thinking it was better than the other adaptations that I saw. I think this is it
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075882/

Most adaptations have been really bad. I prefer the silent Nosferatu to most adaptations.

Dave

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 01:50 pm:   

Cool, thanks Rob.

The best part of the Coppola adaption is Neo's terrible accent. It comes, it goes...it's vaguely European...sort of. He must have spent all of five minutes with a dialect coach in prep for the role.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   

Ted Theodore Logan's British accent wasn't convincing? I'd never expect that. I was in high school when the film came out, so my favorite part involved Monica Bellucci.

Lucius

Post Number: 7597
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 07:14 pm:   

The 70s version is pretty cool.

Jwk

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   

I like the silent Nosferatu too. The Herzog Nosferatu is ok too. Funny ending when they charge him with murder for killing the vampire.
There was a 70's version with Frank Langella and Larry Olivier too wasn't there?

Lucius

Post Number: 7598
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   

Yeah, Langella. Olivier, and Donald Pleasance...it was very good, but not as faithful to the novel.

Lucius

Post Number: 7600
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 02:36 am:   

Not as faithful as the BBC version.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   

If I may hijack for just an instant, does this look like a reputable electronics site?

http://www.regionfreedvd.net/

I may finally be getting around to getting an all-region player...

It's not Stoker, but I found SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE with Willem DaFoe and John Malkovich an awful lot of creepy fun, with DaFoe perhaps the most ghoulish bloodsucker ever.

Lucius

Post Number: 7603
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 05:52 am:   

I can't help you on reputable, Dave...Sorry.

Dave

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   

Has anyone here seen Quarantine? How bad is it?

Lucius

Post Number: 7609
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   

I watched about twenty minites of Q--it bites bad.

Dave

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 09:50 am:   

Hmmm:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/news/1782592/watching_the_latest_watchm en_trailer_a_detailed_analysis

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:03 am:   

I don't care if it's good or not...I love Malin Akerman and would see her in anything, an in-flight instructional video, a magicjack informercial...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 03:01 pm:   

Wow, I can't believe somebody put so much effort into analyzing a trailer. First we have in depth reviews of garbage movies, now a step lower with in depth reviews of a trailer. What's next, in depth analysis of the trailer analysis?

No recent movie viewing for me. I've been in rural Virginia without computer, without TV. Barely even phone access. Just me and a hippie couple who taught me to make shoes. A weird hobby to pursue, but store-bought stuff stopped fitting.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:37 am:   

I give up...I can't remember the name of the Scandanavian flick about the supermodel who finds fulfillment working in a comic book store...Can someone refresh me?

Lucius

Post Number: 7613
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:08 am:   

It's horrible. Astropia.

Lucius

Post Number: 7614
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   

Dave, it's beyond horrible. Don't waste your time in hopes of booty. All you'll see is grotesque D&D fantasies with no cleavage...

Lucius

Post Number: 7615
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:10 am:   

Robert, was the wife there to help learn the shoemakers art? Or was this penance for some crime? :-)

Rich_p
Username: Rich_p

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 01:02 am:   

Just saw Let the Right One In. Very good little film. Thanks for the rec!

Lucius

Post Number: 7616
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   

Glad you dug it, Rich...

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 08:46 am:   

Finally saw Sunshine. I liked the first half, all the close-ups made it feel very claustrophobic. But once they met up with the Icarus, it went downhill. I hated the cinematography change, all the burs and strange effects.

I also saw volumes 4 and 5 of the HP Lovecraft collections. Volume 4 didn't do much for me. The main film on 5 was cheesy, but fairly good.

Dave

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   

I'm still kind of hoping for some sort of explanation as to what the hell happened to Sunshine. It's as though that movie intentionally shit the bed in the last half for no good reason.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 09:07 am:   

Mickey Rourke gets Golden Globe nom for Aaronovsky's "Wrestler"!

Seppo13

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   

Hats off to Bettie Page: 1923-2008.
She may not have made an actual movie with a plot, but she was in "striporama" (or somethin') like that...and she was the subject of "The Notorious Bettie Page." In my humble opinion, she was the most beautiful and sensuous Pinup model ever. It's raining here in Oz, which is appropriate. I'm gonna go put on my Midnight Grafitti Bettie Page T-shirt and mope around the house for a day.

Seppo13

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:03 am:   

I know they're older movies and have been around a while, but I finally sat down and started watching compliatin pack of films written and directed by Preston Sturges: So far, I've watched "The Great McGinty," "The Lady Eve," "Sullivan's Travels" and part of "The Palm Springs Story" (I already watched "Unfaithfully Yours" about a year ago). Don't know why I waited so long to watch these, but I'm glad I finally got around to it: Sturges was one hell of a writer/director. Great stuff!

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:24 am:   

I saw Ashes of Time Redux last night. I was expecting a little more martial arts in it, but the action was limited and mostly stylized to reflect the particulars of the fight (like very grainy and hard to see for the nearly blind swordsman). It was more of a meditation on memory and lost love, pretty good film.

I also saw Tropic Thunder. Surprisingly funny, and it definitely had Tom Cruises best performance. Not a great performance, but he gave up trying to be the leading man and wasn't bad.

Jwk

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:35 am:   

Those Preston Sturges movies you mentioned are pretty amazing. He really had a run of great films there.

Dave

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   

Why?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117997365.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

How can anyone think this is a good idea?

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:21 am:   

From the director who gave us League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I thought the Crow had already been ruined by the sequels, but I'm sure he'll bring it to a new low.

I watched the BBC adaptation of Count Dracula last night. Very low budget, slow pace, but it was really faithful to the book.

Lucius

Post Number: 7620
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   

Saw a screening of Doubt today,,,which surprised me by how smart it was....and Meryl Streep, who I don't really like, was very good.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 02:39 pm:   

Can we all agree that any movie calling itself a "reinvention" or a "reimagination" is doomed from jump street?

Lucius

Post Number: 7624
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   

yeah, pretty much...

Seppo13

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   

Hey ALL: Just watched a TERRIFIC documentary on DVD, filmed by the BBC over five years: it's called "Earth." Narrated by Patrick Stewart (who keeps his inner Picard in check), it is filled with absolutely gobsmacking images, one after another. It's not just the vistas (breathaking shots of waterfalls, etc., using a cineflex and a rig in an air balloon, put together by a french guy, which is called a "cinebull"), but things like polar bears emerging from hibernation and what can only be described as the ballet-like grace of a great white shark breaching the ocean by four feet as it feeds on a seal (I know that sounds cruel, but when I saw the filmed image -- edits were made so no gore is seen in any of the very few scenes like that -- I was astonished that I ever thought of these sharks as mindless killing machines.

In any case: dynamite film, and well worth picking up at the local store (the directors are Alastair Fothergill and Mark Lin field, in case more info is needed -- and the disc I got came with a making of documentary that showed the amazing things the crew went through in five years of filming, plus some interesting outtakes, like scenes of the mother polar bear nursing her young, a rare sight). The images really are worthy of the overused superlative, breathtaking. And the circular narrative cooked up by the directors and Leslie Megahey is top-notch as well.

-DTS

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 06:28 am:   

BBC did a shortened version of Planet Earth and just titled it "Earth." Stewart narrated it. I was rather fond of the series, some incredible filming. Definitely check out the whole Planet Earth series.

I feel like there's the potential for a "reimagining" to work, but I've yet to see anything called that be anything other than garbage.

Lucius

Post Number: 7625
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:41 am:   

re: reimagining. well, there's borges Pierre Menard's Quixote.

Lucius

Post Number: 7626
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 09:54 am:   

Yesterday I saw the worst fucking movie ever made, Seven Pounds, Unspeakably awful. Don't see this...or get baked and go to see it and annoy everyone by laughing throughout,

Ben Thomas (Will Smith) plays an aerospace engineer who, while driving, admired the newly bought diamond on his wife's finger a tad too long and plowed his car into a mini-van, thus killing his wife and a family of six. Can you see the Jared commercial.

He went to Jared! He went to.... (Crash, scream, etc)

As a result, Ben judges that he owes the universe a karmic debt and decides to donate his organs (all of them) to deserving folk.

He begins by serving up half a liver, a lung, his beach house (technically not an organ) and then falls in love with Rosario Dawson, the cardiomyopathic woman to whom he intends to donate his heart. They wind up screwing (gently, one assumes, since Rosario recently went into cardiac arrest from walking her dog), and then Thonas kills himself...with a jellyfish. A box jellyfish, the deadliest of its species, we're told, which he places in a bathtub, after leaving a considerate note for the EMT people, advising them of said jellyfish's deadliness. Then there is a coda where Rosario runs into Woody Harrelson in a park and realizes that he has Thomas's eyes.

See it and win a free box jellyfish.

Jwk

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:07 am:   

Sounds like it was written by the screenwriter in Bowfinger who wrote Chubby Rain. Maybe it'll be the start of the end of Will Smith's career.
Have you seen Valkyrie yet Lucius? Scientologist dwarf attempts to blow up Dur Fuhrer. Might be funny. What a moron Tom Cruise is. He was on Letterman the other day and was doing the Top Ten, and had to show the card to Letterman and ask him what the word "heimlich" was.

Lucius

Post Number: 7627
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   

Nah, one scientologist (will Smith) is enough for me, I'll probably give Valkyrie a pass, since I already know the ending,

Yeah, I think it could be the beginning of the end for Smith, Good.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:17 am:   

John Adams was interesting because it didn't try to whitewash history but wasn't afraid to make him seem like a wise and ethical, but rather priggish and venal, statesman.

Lucius, we were pretty much 180 degrees apart on THE ABANDONED, but I really enjoyed and was genuinely unnerved by Balaguero's DARKNESS, which I found much better than the reviews indicated. Great thing about Jaume is that his villains/threats are novel and non-cliched, so you have no idea how things are going to play out.

Also saw THE STRANGERS, which, despite ultimately proving to be just another torture flick, was stylish, atmospheric and genuinely creepy.

Lucius

Post Number: 7629
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   

I like Balugueros, and I liked Darknessm which was oretty much as you describe. Unfiortunately he's fallen prey to sequelmania and has just released Rec 2.

I was expecting more of the Abandoned, I guess...

Jwk

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:20 pm:   

Netflix has a double feature disc with a a movie called To Let by Balaguero. Haven't seen that one.
I was pretty disappointed with The Abandoned. I guess I was expecting more since Richard Stanley was one of the writers.
Saw a pretty good Korean film called A Bloody Aria. A lecherous music professor, travelling with a student, pulls the car over and tries to have sex with her. She runs off, then some inbred types capture them and humiliate them, then it all escalates. With a twist at the end.

Lucius

Post Number: 7630
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   

I've heard of A bloody Aria. Guess I'll check her out.

Saw Benjamen Button. It was written by the guy who wrote Forest Gump and that says it all. Cate Blanchett affects a syrupy Louisiana accent and mails it in...and she's the best thing in the flick. As for Pitt, he's all stupid is as stupid does. It's really bad. Fincher's worst film, and that includes the Panic Room.

Jwk

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:49 am:   

Yikes, I didn't know Fincher directed that. Anything with Pitt in it usually sucks.

Huw

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:48 am:   

I just watched 'The Good, the Bad and the Weird' by Kim Ji-woon ('A Tale of Two Sisters', 'The Quiet Family', etc.) and enjoyed it a lot. It has pretty much everything one could wish for in a Korean spaghetti western set in Manchuria...

Lucius

Post Number: 7631
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:47 am:   

YEP, Fincher...it reeks.

Huw, sounds like one to check out.

Huw

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:32 pm:   

I think you'd like it, Lucius. It wipes the floor with most recent Hollywood action-adventures like the latest Indiana Jones and Mummy films (faint praise, I know). Song Kang-ho (the sleepy father in The Host) is on fine form as an amiable, blundering rogue.

I haven't seen Doomsday yet, but I reckon Neil Marshall could learn a think or two about making an action film from Kim Ji-woon.

I'm still looking out for Red Lotus Society, by the way. It's a hard film to track down... ;-)

Lucius

Post Number: 7632
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:02 am:   

It looks way better than Miike's spaghetti western, for sure.

I wouldn't bother with Doomsday.

Thanks for the ongoing search...

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:57 am:   

Saw Polanski's THE PIANIST and really liked it. It was so understated, unlike most Holocaust dramas, and didn't focus on a "hero," but rather an ordinary man swept up in events, whose achievement was simply to survive. The motif of a man who devotes his life to music forced for years to hide in silence, was effective and moving. When he finally has the chance to play again, the effect is kind of shattering. Adrien Brody does a great job of conveying despair and loss with eyes and gestures, not scenery-chewing.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:17 am:   

It's about a Holocaust survivor, but I found it surprisingly low-key and not emotionally manipulative. Adrien Brody is a pianist for Polish radio in Warsaw who is caught up in the Nazi occupation, but, through sheer happenstance, is saved from the concentration camp deportation to which his whole family is subjected.

The interesting thing about the movie is that it is not about politics. It is not about the morality of war. It is not about the triumpsh of the human spirit. It is not about the struggle against tyranny. The amazing thing it examines is how ordinary people, caught up in extraordinary events, acquiesce to evil. Mostly, it is about enduring, and outlasting oppression.

I guess the phrase that comes to mind is "the banality of evil."

Watching Brody's fingers flicker over a keyboard, even as he knows he must remain silent to survive, is pretty moving stuff.

Lucius

Post Number: 7634
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   

I'll check it out. Sounds better than I thought.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:16 am:   

I saw The Golden Compass on HBO. I was never really a fan of the book, and the movie was a step down from that. All the plotting and pacing made it seem more generic. It never convinced us to care about anyone in the film.

Besides that, Lurker Films has branched out beyond the Lovecraft collections and did one for The Yellow Sign (inspired by The King in Yellow). Not bad, better than most of the Masters of Horror stuff (yeah...not much praise in that).

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:23 am:   

Anyone else have the viscerally negative reaction to OLEANNA that I did?

Lucius

Post Number: 7637
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:40 am:   

Oleanna? The Mamet thhing? It's more horrible than Mamet usually is.

I, too, watched TGC on HBO, tho I didn't make it to the end. It's getting ti where I see Kidman's name on a big movie and I know it's a dog, whereas she does some indie stuff that;s not half bad.

Watched Paranoid Park by Van Sant, whcih wasn't too bad. tho he is kind of anti-hero take on teen spirit is getting old.

Lucius

Post Number: 7638
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:41 am:   

PS--Spare yourself the horror of redbelt....

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   

Because I'm a horror fan and I wanted some junk food on Sat night, I watched Hostel II, which was no better or worse than it had a right to be. I took some shots from some of my friends for watching what they considered a piece of straight-up misogyny.

As an antidote, I put on Oleanna, a tale in which a somewhat boorish but well-meaning academic goes to some lengths to try to help out a very unclear-on-the-concepts female student so completely out to lunch that she seems borderline autistic. The professor's somewhat clumsy, overbearing and ham-handed efforts to make his points end up in a sexual harrassment complaint filed by the student on behalf of some mysterious, shadowy advocacy group which fights his tenure before a school committee.

I inadvertently stumbled across the makings of a great classroom double feature that could spark a very interesting discussion of how genre films are ghettoized while their arthouse counterparts often traffic in the same brands of intergender fear, resentment and miscommunication. One could easily, I think, find Oleanna's highbrow trappings and concentrated, personalized violence more offensive than the stylized, over the top, fantasy violence of Hostel II.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Lucius

Post Number: 7639
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:23 pm:   

I didn't find Oleanna offensive, just plain bad. Hostel is offensive because that's its goal. Haven't seen Hostel 2. Oleanna was just fuckinh inept. I have no idea what Mamet was aiming for--but then I dislike almost all Mamet.

Dave

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:19 pm:   

I think the only Mamet film I've seen is Ronin and I liked it pretty well.

Keeping in mind that I know next to nothing about his work, I have to ask: Why all the Mamet hate?

Jwk

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:23 pm:   

That girl in Oleanna sure deserved to get smacked, and I was sure happy when Macy gave it to her. She has to be one of the most annoying characters in film history.
As far as Mamet, I thought Glengarry Glen Ross was pretty good, but he wrote it, didn't direct it. ABC-Always be closing!

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:14 am:   

For the record, for me it's not Mamet hate, it's Oleanna hate. Liked House of Games and the Spanish Prisoner. Loved Glengarry.

You just have to see Oleanna. I am totally with Jwk on this. The female character is so cartoonishly written the only explanation could be that Mamet was working out some kind of personal grudge. Writing a character we want to be slapped to set up a late-film beatdown? This is the sort of thing I would expect from a hack. It's really beneath Mamet. He just really seems to have lost his sh** on this one.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:44 am:   

I loathed Spanish Prisoner. I've got a really strong reaction against passive protagonists. Campbell Scott just seemed like a piece of furniture that moved throughout the movie, never thinking or solving any problems, just letting people do that for him. I had the same reaction to Harry Potter for the same reason (he wins the first movie through no skill or effort of his own).

As for Mamet in general, I didn't mind Spartan, but I can't get behind somebody who wrote Hannibal, Wag the Dog, or The Edge.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:15 am:   

Seen Synecdoche, Slumdog Millionaire, Che or Wrestler yet? Figuring out which ones to see at the local indie theater.

Lucius

Post Number: 7641
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:59 am:   

Like the wrestker. Slumdog is kind of endearinh, but basically a vulgarian take onn dickens. Synedoche....is just a mess. A smart mess, but a mess akk the same.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:04 am:   

You convinced me: Wrestler and Slumdog it is. Not too hard, since I like Aronofsky and my wife is Indian.

Lucius

Post Number: 7642
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 08:11 am:   

Mamet--Oleanna is spectacularly bad Mamet, but Glengarry Glen Ross, which is generally praised...I thought it was awful. I kept hearing "The leads, the leads...." in my sleep for months thereafter. Mamet seeks naturalism by his dialogue style, but the upshot is about as naturalistic as Kabuki. It kind of works on the stage, but in the cinema it comes off as laughable mostly. He does some films that are less "of a style" like Ronin and those are ok, but the guy's a Grade A jerk in person and a slovenly quasi-intellectual whose recent foray into mixed martial arts (Redbelt and an article in playboy) demonstrate the depth of his stupidity.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:17 am:   

One thing Synecdoche taught me was the word's proper pronunciation. I thought it rhymed with "douche." How embarrassing. I guess it's a play on Schenectady, NY.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:55 am:   

How about Milk, Gran Torino?

Lucius

Post Number: 7643
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   

Milk's not a great picture, but it has a couple of great performances by Penn and Brolin. Have no desire to see Dirty Harry: The Senile Years.

Robdev
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   

I suspect Gran Torino will be yet another in a string of movies where a white person saves a young ethnic person from a life in gangs. Because Hollywood always seems to think non-whites need white people to save them.

Anyway, I can't believe the trailers had Clint being a cliche old man and telling young people to get off his lawn.

Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   

That sounds horrible and Crash-like if he goes around saving them. I thought he'd just kill a bunch, like in Dirty Harry. Meh.

Lucius

Post Number: 7644
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 08:30 am:   

I thought the trailers were a joke at first. Then I thought they were hilarious. Eventually I thought they were just pathetic.

Dave_g
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:37 pm:   

I did not believe you guys about DOOMSDAY, but I saw it yesterday and could not believe my eyes. It's like a stew of all the worst parts of THE ROAD WARRIOR, ALIENS, LORD OF THE RINGS, THE WARRIORS and 28 DAYS LATER. Not to mention a little MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL. Much as I like Malcolm McDowell, who reads his scripts? I was just dumbfounded by that stage show with strippers, cannibalism and antmusic. People must have seen how awful this was in time to put a stop to it.

Lucius

Post Number: 7646
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:08 pm:   

Believe us...

How bout that Bently in a box? :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |