Travel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » Travel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Calder
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:02 pm:   

Lucius --

Some years back -- three, four? -- you mentioned a trip you were about to commence: to the Far East. Mongolia seemed to be on your itinerary -- but I wonder, did you take in the Philippines? I've kept my eyes peeled, thinking I might spot a large, bearded American fitting your description. Did you ever pass through, say, Angeles, Olongapo, the Zambales Coast, or Baguio?

Well, whatever -- I certainly envy you your sojourns on the Mosquito Coast ...

Best

Richard

Lucius Shepard
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

Hi, Richard...

Got to Mongolia, but time constraints prevented me from making it to the Phillipines, sad to say. Honduras is a trip. The stuff I'm into down there is amazing. I should probably start a thread or something about it, and maybe I will. because the things going down there could stand a little exposure.

I checked your board and see that you're back in the UK. For a while? Or are you off again to more temperate climes?

Take Care,

Lucius

Steve Taylor
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

I hope you will start a thread about what's going on down there. I've found your nonfiction about such topics invaluable.

Richard Calder
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:56 am:   

Lucius --

I'm never quite sure where I might be going next. I've had it in mind to try to relocate to the UK on a more permanent, and secure, basis, but every time I get to think this way I'm gripped by the unassuageable urge to go out and buy an airline ticket (especially when the weather here in London is cold and miserable, as it is now). The tropics may well claim me once again ...

And just wanted to say: I've always been fascinated by the way expat experiences are integrated into your fiction, sometimes invisibly. There're these bar scenes, for example, in 'Barnacle Bill' that, though set in space, obviously represent expat bars, such as you might expect to find in the Far East (and I would guess, Central America, too) -- bars filled with the usual quota of drifters with too much time and too little purpose on their hands.

I've checked out your 'Honduras' thread -- it certainly is a *hell* of a place.

Richard

Lucius Shepard
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:19 am:   

Hi, Richard...

I know what you mean about the airline ticket allure -- I get the call about every couple of weeks. Well, let me know where you go. Maybe we''ll end up in the same flyspecked bar and buy each other a glass of some foul regional potion.

The bar thing in my stories is coming out of the closet. I have a story coming out that begins with the line, "This story begins at the Bahia Bar and wanders through a succession of bars before achieving an utter lack of resolution." As in life.

Honduras is, indeed, a trip. Obviously it's not all horrid. The people of the Mosquito Coast are pretty amazing. They have a penchant for picking odd names, sort of like Thai boxers, who sometimes name themselves after theor gyms. I've been trying to think how to make it believable in a story that I know three brothers named John Wayne, Hitler, and Alka Seltzer.

Take Care,

Lucius

Richard Calder
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 03:57 am:   

Lucius --

While in Thailand, I had a next door neighbour called James Bond. But I really wish I knew someone called Hitler. If I manage to get airborne in the near furture I'll keep you informed. Who knows, we really might be able to share a few beers, say, in Baguio, the Philippines (which is where I last rented an apartment).

Best wishes

Richard

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register