HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

SWITZ

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Shepard, Lucius » SWITZ « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7343
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   

I'm staying in the old Suichard Chocolate Factory on Lake Nuechatel, a building my friend Andre has turned into offices, a sound stage, and a gourmet Japanese restaurant named Tokyo Montana, which is currentlly on the verge of closing because the chef is throwing a hissy fit. I'm jet-lagged as all hell. Last night we went to a bar and had some bottles of wine and a fondue, after which I slept like the dead for three hours, then popped right up and spent the rest of the night wandering around the old chocolate factory. At dawn, I fell out and slept for a few hourse, then drove to Yverdon des Bains, a village on the lake, to have lunch with another friend, Patrick Gyger, who runs the best science fiction museum in the world. Now I'm back in Nuechatel and I'm fucking exhausted again and on the verge of turning into chard or some sort of legume. One thing new and of note--I have accepted an invitation to be on the jury if NIFFF, the Neuchatel International Film Festival. Last years guests included Jon Landis, Terry Gilliam, George Romero, and Park Chan Wook (Old Boy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, etc). So i'm looking forward to talking to some interesting directors, seeing some good films, and spening a week at the Hotel Beau Rivage, an amazing 5 star hotel on the lake. The best things is, my next review won't be of Antgirl or Pigchild or some bloated waste of money, but will be of some of the best fantasy and sf films around. If any of you are going to be in Europe this summer, and you want to take in the festival, the dates are July 1-7.

I'm going to fade out again. Y'all take care now, y'hear?

Got this from Bill Schaeffer, a starred review in PW:

The Best of Lucius Shepard
Lucius Shepard. Subterranean, $40 (623p) ISBN 978-1-59606-133-0
This fine selection of some of the best short fiction by one of the most respected dark fantasy writers in the world will be a must purchase for aficionados of the genre. Among the stories included are "The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule," wherein an artist devotes his life to the illumination of a dormant, mile-long dragon; "Salvador," where a Vietnam-like conflict rages in a future Central America; "Jack's Decline," the sly and gruesome tale of an elderly Jack the Ripper confronting Nazi Germany; "Radiant Green Star," set in a future Southeast Asia replete with circuses, revenge and the last living American POW; and "Only Partially Here," a harrowing tale of strange happenings in the pit left by the fall of the World Trade Center. Shepard is fantasy literature's Joseph Conrad or perhaps its Saul Bellow, a writer who never tires of staring directly into the abyss. (Aug.)

A bit excessive perhaps. I get tired staring into the abyss all the time, especially the where Ed Harris has to die in order to see the angelic ETs... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Huw
Username: Huw

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   

Hope you have a great time in Switzerland, Lucius. NIFFF sounds like an interesting festival. Let us know what films you get to see. Man, I'm envious. It's so hot here, I'd love to be in Switzerland!

I pre-ordered the best-of collection some time ago and I'm looking forward to actually being able to hold it in my hands. Maybe one day we'll get a companion volume or an expanded edition with some newer stories - I just read 'Stars Seen Through Stone', and loved it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |