To Blog or Not to Blog Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Carter, Scott William » To Blog or Not to Blog « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott William Carter
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   

So what do you all think of writer's blogs? A lot of writers seem to do them, from the aspiring newbie all the way up to people like Neil Gaiman. It's something that's intrigued me, but I've always thought, at least for me, it would be a distraction from the real work. So for the writer with the professional bent, are they a good thing? Bad thing? What's the best way to approach them? Pros and cons? Are they just a way to let your friends and relatives know what's up with you, or are they a useful tool. Just curious what everyone thinks of them . . .

Kathy S.
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 07:15 am:   

Hi Scott,
Loved your ChiZine stories, btw. I think blogs can be a distraction, but don't have to be. Many blogs I know appear to be major endeavors; others are just weekly updates. It all depends on what you want your blog to be -- a place to vent, a writer's update center, or a tool for attracting new readers?

Personally, I think a decent blog can be run with a minimal time investment. You can post snippets of works in progress, along with your writerly musings and announcements of upcoming works. However, I think it is important to keep it up if you start it -- update at least once a week. I would also start with something free and fun -- LiveJournal is great, and a lot of folks hang out there. An added benefit is that you get to read other people's entries, and often learn. You can also see what kinds of posts attract response etc.

Good luck with it, and if you decide to start one, let us know.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

It all depends on what you want out of your blog, really. Is there a reason for you to have one, or are you just considering it because everyone else has one? I think it wouldn't be a great loss to you if you decided not to have one, but on the other hand you might have a lot of fun with one--or it might end up being a distracting chore. Mine often is, but I keep it around because I don't have a conventional website, and I like having a permanent place on the internet where friends I don't talk to often can drop in and see what's going on with me (rather than dig about in their address book for my email address, fail to find it, and drop forever out of sight).

Scott William Carter
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 04:22 pm:   

Kathy -

Thanks for the kind words on the Chizine stories. Those guys are great to work with, too, if you sell them a story -- fast payment at five cents a word, good copy editors, always respond to emails promptly. Wish all markets could be be a professional.

Thanks for the thoughts on the blogging, too. You're right that it doesn't have to take a lot of time, but I know myself, and when I do something I tend to do it whole hog, which is why I haven't done it. Always figure I can write another short story or chapter, you know?

Nicholas -

Cool blog, dude. And thanks for the advice. Your idea of using a blog in place of a traditional website is interesting.

The time sink thing is probably what scares me off most of all. I have some obsessive tendencies that I have to keep in check, so it's probably best that I don't have a blog. I'd be finding reasons to post on it instead of writing fiction. I have a hard enough time being paid for my writing now; I certainly don't want to do any more writing for free than I have to. ;)

Michael Kelly
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   

Scott,

Glad you dig working with us. You're great to work with, as well. Thanks for the kind words.

-Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration