Sales and Other News Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Carter, Scott William » Sales and Other News « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott William Carter
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 11:57 am:   

Just a quick note to say that my short-short, "The Woman Coughed Up By the Sea," will be up at Chizine for another couple of weeks. Go read it. Take you about a minute. It's one of those light, happy pieces. ;)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Stan Schmidt at Analog is buying my short-short, "The Time Traveler's Wife." Whee!

It's funny. Of all the major genre mags, I would have picked Analog as the last one I would crack, and here I've sold to it twice before selling to the others. Me, with the English degree, writing for Analog. Proof anything can happen, I guess. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:25 am:   

Just got word that Andy Cox is taking my southern bigot meets grieving black man crime story, "Last Stop on Dowling Street," for Crimewave 8 or 9. Totally cool. I've been hoping to break into Andy's publishing empire for some time. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

First sale of the new year. My collaboration with Jay Lake, "The Man Who Swallowed Mirrors," will be published in an upcoming issue of Full Unit Hookup. Cool. Now I can say I was co-published with a Campbell winner. ;)

Maybe then people will like me. Sniff, sniff.

JV
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:21 am:   

Congrats, Scott!!!

JeffV

AliceB
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

Hey, I saw "The Red Scarf" in Cicada. Very nice.

Best,
Alice

Scott William Carter
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Thanks, Jeff.

Thanks for the kind words on "The Red Scarf," Alice. I originally wrote that story as a holiday chapbook for family, so selling it to a top market was a nice bonus. Paid for a lot of Christmas gifts, too. :-)

AliceB
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:30 am:   

I'm showing my ignorance here, but what is a "chapbook"? I know that a "chapter book" is what they call a story, divided into chapters, aimed for emergent readers. But that clearly doesn't apply to "The Red Scarf".

Best,
Alice

Scott William Carter
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Well, a chapbook's usually a story or a couple of stories or poems in book form--something too small to be a real book, but you give it a cover and make it look like a book (and I use the term book loosely here). Usually for friends and family, but small press publishers often put them out, too.

Of course, according to my 85 year-old grandmother, it's a real book.

Grandma: "I got your book the other day. Very nice story."
Me: "Well, it's not a real book, Grandma. It's just a chapbook--"
Grandma: "A what?"
Me: "Just something I put together myself. For friends and family. But it will be coming out in a nice magazine very soon as well."
Grandma: "Oh, that's nice. What bookstore can you buy this book in?"
Me: Sigh . . .

AliceB
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

:-) Thanks!

Scott William Carter
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

Two short story sales to report in the last couple of weeks: a dark modern fantasy, "All My Invisible Friends" to Weird Tales and a near future sf piece, "Mississippi Dragons" to Oceans of the Mind.

Also, finished my romantic comedy and sent 50 pages and proposal to a top agent who requested to see it. See how it goes. I've finally just surrendered to my inability to stay in a genre for long -- it's incredibly liberating.

Genre, baby, I'm afraid I can't be monogamous -- I'm just not that kind of guy. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   

Well, when it rains it pours . . . My twist on the Medusa myth, "Heart of Stone," will appear in an upcoming DAW/Tekno anthology, Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls (title may change). Gosh, I like it when the check arrives with the contract. :-)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   

Congrats, Scott. Who is editing that anthology?

Scott William Carter
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 08:02 am:   

Thanks, John. Denise Little is putting it together.

Scott William Carter
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

Made my third sale to Analog. My short story, "A Christmas in Amber," will appear in an upcoming issue -- for some strange reason I'm guessing it will be in the December issue. <g>

Plus, my short short, "The Time Traveler's Wife" will be out in the July/August issue of Analog shortly. Yes, I know it bears the same title as a rather popular book by Audrey Niffenegger, but in my defense I wrote the original draft of this story about a year before that book was even published, and the title's too perfect to use anything else. And since you can't copyright titles, who cares anyway? <g>

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

Great sales, Scott! Looks like you've got ANALOG's number. <g>

Scott William Carter
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Thanks, Patrick. Yeah, it's funny, I never would have picked Analog as the first of the digests I would crack (I'd say only 10-15% of what I write is even in their area) and here I've sold three to him. Not that I'm complaining. <g>

I just write the stuff, send it to good markets, and hope for the best . . . Now I just need to crack that venerable magazine TALEBONES and my life will be complete. <g>

Scott William Carter
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Another sale to report: "Epic, The," to the All-Star Stories anthology Twenty Epics, edited by the irrepressible David Moles and the lovely Susan Marie Groppi. This is one of the most unusual stories I've written. Without giving away too much, let's just say I myself am the main character. Man, it was fun to write, though. I was laughing all the way through.

Really looking forward to seeing this anthology. I have a feeling it's going to be a good book.

Scott William Carter
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

Cool sale to report: my short story "Happy Time" will be appearing in that hip British magazine, Postscripts, edited by the esteemed Peter Crowther. I don't know what was more cool, the sale, or the fact that he said I made his day. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:49 am:   

Sale to Asimov's. Just got an email from Sheila Williams that she's taking "The Tiger in the Garden." Despite its title, it's sf, set in the same world as "The Liberators," a story which appeared in Analog last year.

Whoooohoooo! Two Dell magazines down, two to go. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:37 am:   

Ellery Queen is buying my Maximum Overdrive meets Gambler's Annonymous suspense story, "Road Gamble." I'm feeling a bit dizzy.

Three Dell magazines down, one to go. :-)

Scott William Carter
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   

A quick update.

My science fiction story, "Bad Sectors," will appear in an upcoming issue of Shadows of Saturn.

My story, "A Christmas in Amber," has appeared in the December 2005 issue of Analog.

My colloboration with Jay Lake, "The Man Who Swallowed Mirrors," has appeared in Full Unit Hookup #7.

My tale of psychological horror and suspense, "Five Second Fantasies," has appeared in issue #3 of Surreal.

Oh, and I moved my blog, in case anyone's interested, where you can read more about my slowly percolating writing career: www.scottwilliamcarter.com/blog.

Hope everyone's having a happy Halloween . . .

Scott William Carter
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:02 am:   

Two sales to announce.

"How to Get Rid of Your Monster: A Series of Usenet Postings," which takes the prize of the story of mine with the longest title, will appear in Electric Velocipede.

"The Grand Mal Reaper" will appear in an upcoming issue of Realms of Fantasy. This marks my twenty-fifth short story sale. Woot!

Happy Holidays!

Scott William Carter
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:50 am:   

Janet Hutchings at Ellery Queen is taking my story, "The World in Primary Colors" for a future issue. This is my second sale to the magazine.

It also prompted an interesting discussion with my two-year-old about what a writer is, and you can read about that on my blog if you're interested: www.scottwilliamcarter.com/blog.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration