More Stuff, More Changes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chouinard, Gabe » More Stuff, More Changes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gabe
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   

There have been some minor and not-so-minor developments at s1ngularity over the past couple of days.

First off, we've broken the fiction into pages rather than using one long block of text. We also now offer printer-friendly versions for all of you that are loathe to read online. You're welcome.

And if you've missed them, we have also uploaded a review of Miéville's The Tain by newcomer critic Philip Walker (who I think we'll be hearing a lot from), the NEEDLES column by James Palmer, FORGET THE FUTURE column from Rick Kleffel, and my own column, THE SPIRIT OF INDEPENDENTS.

I'm also developing some other goodies for everyone, trying to get around the whole "two stories per month" madness. You'll see what I mean soon enough.

--gabe chouinard

gabe
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

I should also point out (because I haven't utilized it nearly enough) that you can join the <b>s1ngularity mailing list</a> by sending an email to singularity_online-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. There's a bit more information given out through the group than is given out in public, so if you're wanting the insider dope, that's the way to go.

--gabe chouinard

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   

Hmm. . .does Philip Walker know that the Tain is shortly being reprinted by Gollancz?

Otherise, good work and thank you for the printer-friendly versions. . .

JeffV
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:00 pm:   

Smug bastard. Actually, I hope we see less of him--it's a pretty piss-poor analysis.

Jeff V.

"So here I sit, writing this pointless review, for I have read The Tain and you will not. But I write it for the industry, in the hopes that you will clamor for more tales the provide the impact necessary for a healthy, exciting genre. Good luck. - Philip Walker"

JeffV
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:24 pm:   

...in contrast to much else I like about the site. I dunno--that review/overview just had so much fat on it and not much meat. Not meaning to offend, but you did set a high standard, Gabe, with your talk about other reviewers.

Jeff V.

P.S. Thanks for the Veniss banner ad! Very cool!

gabe
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   

Jeff,

Your comments aren't offensive, don't worry. And I think Phil is capable of doing more... but we'll see.

Of course, I also read his comments more as 'wistful' than 'smug'. I also happen to agree with the assessment that allowing shorter works into the market (much like VENISS) is necessary, rather than aiming for huge books. Ever read Robert Jordan? Slice away 98% of the story, and it'd be a good fantasy novel.

Null persp on the Veniss ad. It's what we do.

--gabe

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:04 pm:   

I, too, have mixed (okay, not that mixed) feelings about the Philip Walker review. If The Tain wasn't being reprinted, the review would be more or less pointless, and seeing as it is, it's factually inaccurate. It also seemed to exhibit the sort of critical deficiencies you've been lamenting of late, Gabe. . . .

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:57 pm:   

>>Ever read Robert Jordan? Slice away 98% of the story, and it'd be a good fantasy novel.

Not really. It would be a short and shitty fantasy novel, rather than a long and shitty fantasy novel.

Bob
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 02:31 pm:   

Heh.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration