03.03.03 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chouinard, Gabe » 03.03.03 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gabe
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   

On 03.03.03 you'll begin to see s1ngularity taking shape. To lead things off, we'll be launching a pared-down edition (with the regular edition coming on 03.15.03, just to make things easier to track!) that will feature, among other things:

03.03.03 : Questions For Writers, a nine-question Q&A with a wide variety of writers, from Kelly Link to Steven Erikson, from Alastair Reynolds to Jonathan Carroll.

Suckage, my own mildly-opinionated introductory editorial.

Swag Contest, wherein you'll learn how you can walk away with lots of sexy prizes.

I'm so excited, there's sweat dripping down my buttcrack....

--gabe chouinard
site editor

MJJ
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:46 pm:   

Umm... reposted from the other "s1ngularity" section...

Whaaat? You're gonna make us all wait 'til the 15th for fiction???

The horror, the horror... ;)

gabe
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:43 am:   

FOR 1MMEDIATE RELEASE

o3.o3.o3:s1ngularity
http://www.sfsite.com/singularity

On March 3, the evolution begins.

s1ngularity is an all-new, all-different webzine conceived and edited by gabe chouinard, Gabe Mesa, and Rick Kleffel, with design by Simon Logan.

s1ngularity is the literary equivalent of a heroin spike in the eye.

It is a guerrilla attack on the corporate drones that guide our tastes. It is a shot in the dark, a reflection and recombination of traditional Editorial Interference and new media. It's a middle finger aimed straight at the major corporate publishers, proving that literature drips vitality.

s1ngularity is working to legitimize ezine publishing. Our credo is to publish only the highest quality literature, criticism and interviews. It’s a take-no-prisoners, no-holds-barred approach that aggressively markets exemplary work, no matter which genre label gets slapped on it.

This is not a stance. This is a belief. Publishing should be a reflection and a compliment to writing; if a writer eschews genre labels, so should the publishers. It is a hand-in-hand relationship, not a category management system. That is precisely what mainstream publishing is missing, and that is precisely what we can offer as our cry in the dark.

That is what s1ngularity means to us. Not avoiding genre labels, but revoking their importance. Not attacking publishers in a rebellious fit of adolescent anger, but slithering in under the radar in an anti-category performance of quality and vitality. It’s about the works themselves, and the writers that create them. Writers like Kage Baker and Michael Jasper, who contribute the first stories. Writers like Jeffrey Ford, who contributes a regular column, and a host of supportive others that will grace our digital pages in one way or another.

Brace yourself. The evolution is on.

:s1ngularity: http://www.sfsite.com/singularity : singularityzine@aol.com :

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   

So...given your philosophy articulated on your site as shoving a stick up the collective ass of corporate publishing, and then breaking it off...should we expect to see the Singularity staff carrying broken sticks around with them at conventions and whatnot? :-)

Good luck with the launch!

Jeff V.

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 04:46 pm:   

Of course, Gabe, this has already been done by OMNI online, Event Horizon, SCIFICTION, Strange Horizons, and The Infinite Matrix. But glad to see yet another ezine --the more markets that publish short fiction, the more writers will write short fiction.

>>>s1ngularity is working to legitimize ezine publishing.>>>

gabe
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:45 pm:   

Ellen,

Oi! I didn't realize how cloistered that sounded til now. Of course, we're by no means eschewing all other ezines; I was trying to make the point that we believe in online publishing.

Wait'll you see our "Brothers and Sisters"....

--gabe

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:48 pm:   

<g>

Is "Brothers and Sisters" a story? Who by?
Ellen

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   

>>should we expect to see the Singularity staff carrying broken sticks around with them at conventions and whatnot?

Good idea. People may mistake us for dowsers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing....

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:06 pm:   

Okay--it's 3/3/03. Where's my singularity?!?! :-(

12:05 am. When's going live?

Jeff

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:49 am:   

So where is it? I can access the front page and that's it. (9:47 am NY time).

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:20 am:   

A beautiful logo and loadbar, but it doesn't seem to actually be loading anything.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:23 am:   

The loadbar kinda reminds me of KIT from Night Rider.

"Please be patient while I load, Michael."

gabe
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:33 am:   

Heh.

It'll be there. Patience.

(Yeah, we had to reconfigure a database or some other techy-speak thingie which I don't understand, so we's behind, which I *do* understand....)

It'll be there.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:59 am:   

Got some content! (12:58 p.m. EST) Very cool. I like the mass interview. Some excellent questions and excellent responses. This ET Ellison guy's pretty damn funny.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

Yup, yup, we're up....

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

Unfortunately, I can't read the type at all on netscape, which is the usual browser I use.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

What, no rotating rodent??

Just kidding, Gabe. Congrats to the whole crew. I have to agree with Mike J.: great interview, hilarious stuff by E.T. Ellison.

RM
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:00 pm:   

Not everyone can be an RM, or have a rotating meerkat on their site. But I agree, having perused Singularity--nice start. Although the white text on black is kind of hard to read. But then, I can't read anyway.

Rotating Meerkat

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 02:26 pm:   

Can see it on IE. Like the multi-mini interviews.

gabe
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   

This is an industrialized, pared-down prefab prelaunch site, remember. Not all the bugs were worked out a-fore hand. *sigh* Guess you'll have to hold your breath for the Real Thing on the Fifteenth!

Thanks for all the kindness, folks. You make me smile.

ET Ellison is a hilarious guy. Read his novel, THE LUCK OF MADONNA 13, and read it RIGHT NOW! And visit http://www.etellison.com and http://www.lastnevergate.com for more. He's a major new talent.

Did I mention that issue two will have a fairy tale by him?

--gabe

JeffV
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:02 pm:   

Nice interviews!

JeffV

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:41 am:   

Gabe,

Really nice content, and I love the Q&A, but that Flash download is annoying. I don't want to download and install Flash just to see three graphics on the website, and it gives me no option to go around it. In fact, every time I visit another link on the site, I have to click "No" -- not just once but three times -- to the browser question "Do you want to download and install Macromedia Flash?" Like, no, I don't.

You might let your web programmers know that it is good to provide a plain vanilla graphics workaround for the site. Otherwise it might turn off some readers who will not have the patience to deal with the Flash.

Just one perspective here.

:-)

Vera

Jest_Passin_Thr00
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:26 am:   

You're not missing much, Vera: The three Flash images are just grainy gray-and-white shadow images scrolling continuously past the viewer's eyes. Point of which eludes me.

Re: your database woes: Tell your (new) web designer Logan that Edgar Harris' former assistant says: "If you go to ASP you will die." The avalanche really has started, and the pebbles really don't get to vote, do they?

Luís
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:21 am:   

ASP is evil. Give me PHP any time.

gabe
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:53 pm:   

Luis,

We're running PHP. I think. What does MYSQL mean?

Vera, at this point, I'm shocked that someone doesn't have Flash. Eeep! It's 2003, baby! But your point is well-noted.

--gabe

Luís
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:13 pm:   

MySQL is a database management system, as are MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc. Both PHP and MySQL are OpenSource.

Re Flash, you may provide an alternate image if Flash is not found -- can't remember the code right now, but there are plenty of examples on the internet.

Best,
Luís

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration