Uh oh... the Next Wave pops again! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Chouinard, Gabe » Uh oh... the Next Wave pops again! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gabe
Posted on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   

Back in early 2001, I was writing that column at SF Site, Dislocated Fictions, where I often discussed what I saw as a "Next Wave" of fantasy writers springing up in our midst.

Now it's been co-opted. Once by Norman Spinrad here, and now by James Patrick Kelly at Asimov's as well.

What the hell is going *on* here?

--gabe chouinard
hyper machine interfaces

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 02:25 am:   

Heh -- everyone's looking for a "movement." I blame China Mieville for writing such kick-ass books that don't fit it into any easy pigeonhole. And for being young. :-)

jonathan briggs
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   

Whatever happened to Dislocated Fictions anyway? I usedta enjoy reading you rant and picked up a couple of the books you raved about. I do check out yer blog fairly often tho.

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:17 am:   

Yo Gabe!

You invented a name which fits and that's why it has started spreading, but many people know that you coined the phrase, and this fact won't be forgotten.

*Next Wave* is the right name for the fiction it describes. That doesn't happen too often! For instance *Magic Realism* is a clumsy name for the particular style of writing it seeks to describe. *Oulipo* is an accurate and excellent name for the style of writing it seeks to describe...

I can think of lots of good (*Surrealism*, *Absurdism*, *Identism*) names for particular styles of writing, and lots of bad ones too (*Imagism*, *Fabulation*, *Postmodernism*).

*Next Wave* happens to be one of the good ones!

How are you, by the way, Gabe? Been on any climbing expeditions lately?

gabe
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   

Hey Jonathan,

Regarding DisloFics, what can I say? I got tired. Really tired. But don't despair, if you really liked reading it. There's some good stuff coming up (I hope).

Rhys, thanks for your kindess. I'm good, in general. No climbing for some time... since September, actually. It's hard to get up on the rock with two kids hanging off your back....

--gabe

Jorge
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:00 am:   

"It's hard to get up on the rock with two kids hanging off your back..."

You could actually get your hands on some heavy sponsoring if you tried that stunt out... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration