A Fairytale Of New York Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Duncan, Hal » A Fairytale Of New York « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

al duncan
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 02:36 am:   

Woohoo! I'm off for a five day holiday three weeks from now, somewhere in the East Village. First time I've ever been to New York, so I'm really looking forward to it, and I thought I might see if some of you Stateside folks could make some recommendations. So far my plans are to:

a) Find somewhere that serves good Guinness
b) Visit Ellis Island
c) Breakfast on bagels with cream cheese and lox
d) Visit CBGB's
e) Try and blag me way backstage with Franz Ferdinand at the Roseland Ballroom

Other than that, me and me mates don't really have any coherent intentions other than to run around, flapping our arms excitedly about being in New York(!). I'm not terribly big on the whole obvious tourist stuff like Lady Liberty and the Empire State; I'd much rather find the cool and interesting things to do in New York that tourists are likely to miss by just doing the Big Sights.

So any New Yorkers out there with suggestions?

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

Hey Al, let's get together for lunch while you're here. I work in Midtown, which would give you a chance to see all the Rockefeller/Radio City Tourist sites. There are several decent pubs near me.

E-mail so I can give you my #.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 07:10 am:   

If you don't want to see the typical tourist stuff, you're staying in the right area. Tourists tend to not go into the Village. There's a lot to see down there. Times Square is worth visiting just to get scope of it.

JK

JV
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:31 am:   

Al:

Speaking as a first-time visitor to NYC late last year, I really enjoyed the East Village. Greenwich seemed more touristy and not as interesting.

The boat ride you can take along the coastline there is nice, especially if you guys do it at dusk--nice duality of light and dark, along with the lights playing on the water.

Also don't miss the Chelsea Hotel. I've got an artist friend who lives there who you'd really like. If interested, let me know. I'm sure he'd give you a tour.

JeffV

al duncan
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:17 am:   

Hey guys. Thanks, lunch in Midtown and boat rides down the Hudson - sounds well cool. Sorry I didn't get back to yez sooner, btw. Had the last couple of days off work to recover from Gary's book launch. And am just trying out my new laptop right now. Finally back online from home after months of futilely pounding my aging desktop. Bear with me while I rejoin the 21st Century with all its interweb and email malarkey.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   

Great to meet you (H)al! Looking forward to crossing the pond and seeing Glasgow next year! Looking forward to your book, too!

JK

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 03:00 am:   

Cheers John. Had a great time meself, and if ye can make it over next year I look forward to repaying you in kind, with good grub and fine booze!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration