The Borribles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Duncan, Hal » The Borribles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

OK, so everyone knows about J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books. Most people here, I'd bet, know about Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. And I suspect most would be willing to recognise that Pullman is just plain meatier. But, to my mind, the greatest children's stories of all time have to be The Borribles and The Borribles Go For Broke. I haven't read the third book yet, having only found out about its existence recently, but if it has even half the twisted imagination of its predecessors I just know I'm gonna love it. Think Peter Pan as a snot-nosed oik. Think Robin Goodfellow on the run from borstel. Think the only kiddies book I've ever read with a decapitation by shovel.

Bloody brilliant, they are. Bloody brilliant. A little rough around the edges prose-wise, but none of yer Hogwarts public school clap-trap here. Fuck no. If these little toe-rags ever went to school it would've been yer common-as-muck comprehensive. And they would have bunked off classes, hid behind the bike sheds smoking fags, and legged it at the first sign of the Filth. Instead they go completely tribal, grow pointy ears and live in London squats for the rest of their never-ending childhoods.

Now that is the kind of morally responsible writing I'd want my kids to grow up on.

So am I, *ahem*, out on a limb on this one, or does anyone else at all think that The Borribles take Harry Potter by his little flannel shorts and blazer, stick his head in the loo and flush it?

gary gibson
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   

You only like the Borribles because they're womble-slaughterers. Bad, bad Borribles.

al duncan
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:55 am:   

No. Not true at all. The evil rat-like enemies of the borribles aren't wombles, they're rumbles. It's quite different. Just because they have a litter fetish. Just because they go around with big wooden sticks topped with nine-inch nails (they're for fighting, ye see, not picking up litter). Just because all rumbles have a Jonathon Ross style speech impediment that causes them to refer to themselves as "wumbles". I tell you it's not the same thing. Honest, guv.

But hey, you've gotta admit that when the borrible heroes arrive at the rumble HQ in Rumbledon Common ("Rumbledon"?... it's just a coincidence, I tell you.), and the rumble high command start to bite the big one, it's an impressive array of gruesome death scenes.

And the phrase you're looking for, btw, is "howwible bowwibles". To which all I can say is :P

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:45 am:   

Al: I've had these Borribles on my mind since I asked you and Gary about them in Blackpool. None of my local bookstores carry them. I'm going to have to go Amazon or maybe I can get TOR UK to send me a set. Now I have to read them. Wish my kids were still young enough for me to read them to them. It sounds like these books have a sufficient amount of mayhem and killin' they found missing in a lot of the other prescribed kid stuff.

minz
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:04 am:   

GOOD NEWS, BORRIBLE FANS in the USA!

Tor is re-releasing the Borribles over the course of the next year or two. And Al will probably be happy to hear we're doing them for kids--it'll be in the Tor Teen line, with each of the three novels being printed individually. Somewhere down the line, we'll probably do an omnibus adult edition, but that's at least several years off, maybe more.

And a tip of the hat to Tor UK--when I saw they were re-issuing the titles, it took me back to my innocent, younger years, when I read the Borribles and was soon wading hip-deep in dead Rumbles . . . and loving every minute of it. Definitely Harry Potter for the working class. And thanks to seeing that Tor UK edition, I put the wheels in motion over here in the US. And while those wheels have turned extremely slowly, they are a-comin. THE BORRIBLES is tentatively scheduled for July 05, BORRIBLES GO FOR BROKE in November 05, and THE BORRIBLES: ACROSS THE DARK METROPOLIS is Jan 06. Of course, things could shuffle a little, but that's the current plan.

montmorency
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:33 am:   

The first title, The Borribles, is just published this month here in Japan (in Japanese translation, I mean). Surprisingly it's in hardcover. Seems they've decided to conquer all the world.

jess stevens
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:30 am:   

has anyone got any idea where someone might get their hands on a mint hardback copy of any of the borribles books pref 1st edition or am i looking for a needle in a haystack??
contact email fredbeerpizza@hotmail.com

Paul Annis
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 09:24 am:   

Only the first book has been published in hardback. It was published in the UK by Bodley Head in 1976, and by Macmillan Publishing Co. Inc. in the US in the same year. The two editions have different dust jacket artwork.

Neither edition is particularly common, but they aren't particularly scarce either. Of course there is the usual problem with first editions of children's books that the majority of the second-hand copies offered for sale online seem to be ex-library ones.

I've been quite lucky with these. I bought a mint US hardcover on eBay early last year for $6.99 plus $10.00 postage to the UK. In 1999 I bought a mint British hardcover edition from a British bookseller. It cost me less for postage but quite a bit more for the book.

The first UK edition of the second book is a Bodley Head trade paperback. The first UK edition of the third book (and so far the only UK edition of it as a separate volume) is the Piccolo mass market paperback. Both are rather difficult to find. I think the first US editions of these books were the Ace paperbacks.

Try the online bookselling websites such as ABEbooks, and also eBay and Amazon Marketplace.

Jim
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 09:29 am:   

Just found this: http://www.michaeldelarrabeiti.com. Quite a lot of Borrible stuff, including pics of the new US editions which look mint. Also there are links to where you can buy the books, if any of you are interested still...

Anyone heard anything about a movie?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration