Amazon.com top 10 SF/F of 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Irvine, Alex » Amazon.com top 10 SF/F of 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   

Of course I am posting this because they included The Narrows on the list, but there are some mighty fine books whose company I am proud to keep.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/593300/104-9524190-9008755

Lucius
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

Hey man. Congrats. Gonna do the pool this year?

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

Alex: Just saw this too that The Narrows made the amazon list. Congratulations. Hope you and the family have a good Thanksgiving.

jeff

Alex
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:04 am:   

Lucius: Thanks, and congrats to you on the IHG. Do they still give you the cool lucite tombstone? Yeah, the pool would be great. I'll be a patsy, though, because I haven't paid very much attention to college football this year...well, I was a patsy last year too, so maybe I need a new excuse.

Jeff: Congrats right back at you too, man, with your swanky French award. Did you see the interview with Jean Baudrillard in the New York Time mag this week in which the last line is "Nobody needs French theory"? After slogging through my share of it in grad school, I found myself wishing someone had said that a long time ago.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

Alex: I know. If I had seen Derrida on the street back in the late 70's when I was in Graduate school, I'd have kicked him right in the nuts.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   

Jeff, don't tell me you were driving the laundry truck that ran into Roland Barthes.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   

Gordon: All I'll say is that I have an alibi -- the police have checked it out.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   

Alex...Thanks. Yup. They give you the tombstone, though I have one from the 90s that's more like something from the garden department of Sear, goth section.

As for the pool, maybe Jeff will loan you his chicken or a vial of the blood of a French philosopher...

jeff ford
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:02 am:   

The chicken lives, hiding out, waiting to strike with prognostigations you can take to the scholarly paper bank.
Lucius: How about them GIANTS!!!!!

Alex
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 08:41 am:   

Jeff, amigo, I'll testify in your defense anytime. Although Barthes was one of the ones I liked the most. Far as using one of them as pick nourishment, maybe Foucault to imbue my picks with power, but on the other hand, all of my favorite teams have turned out to be simulacra lately, so could be Baudrillard is the way to go...

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 09:00 am:   

Derrida just about drove me nuts, but I enjoyed Barthes quite a bit. His "autobiography" is the only book of his I've read, and I enjoyed the theory in amongst his musings about being gay, left-handed, etc., and generally an outsider.

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   

Barthes is one of the few that can be read for fun. Although others can be read to make fun of, which is also fun....

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 05:44 am:   

Picks due Tuesday -- Just a reminder.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register