Robot dystopias Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Irvine, Alex » Robot dystopias « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

Looking for a list of stories in which robots/computers have exterminated or attempted to exterminate humankind. The obvious ones are the Terminator movies and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." Others?

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

A classic example in film might be Westworld (made in the 1970s or possibly 60s), with Yule Brynner as the main robot offender. I think there was also a follow up to this film.

However, the attempted extermination doesn't really stretch as far as humankind in its entireity, so I'm not sure if it's really what you're after. Mind you, it's clear that would have been their aim eventually. And there's the Stepford Wives, which again might fall short of what you're after.

There was the recent film with Will Smith, too. Was it I, Robot?

And another obvious one is the Matrix series. There's one of the Animatrix animations that deals more explicity with the robot uprising which takes place prior to events in the film, if I'm not mistaken.

Would you include machines as well? I remember an Australian film I saw ages ago, perhaps in the 80s, that had the theme of machines rebelling against humankind. I don't know the title unfortunately, but I remember it as being a great film where machines, including everyday household
items, started to turn on their creators.

Hope this is of help.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   

Didn't David Bunch's Moderan stuff deal with this? I could be wrong.
JeffV

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   

Alex---

Those Mel Hunter robot covers (like the Dec. 1959 issue, May 1960, or May 2003) were all founded on the concept of a post-apocalyptic world in which robots survived but people did not. Not based on any particular stories, but the paintings show that the concept was in the air.

I consider "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"/BLADE RUNNER and the film 2001 as two prime examples of anxiety about humanity's machines exterminating humanity. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it here.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   

It's been a while since I read it, but Aldiss's "Who Can Replace a Man?" is set in a future where only robots are around, though I can't say if they were the cause of humanity's demise.

Dune has all that "machine crusade" stuff, in which humanity goes to war with all AIs/androids, etc. because they were like conquering humanity or something. Well, I think it's only mentioned briefly in Dune, but there are prequels all about it . I think they attemped to exterminate humanity, so that could qualify.

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Thanks, everyone. Keep 'em coming if you think of anything else...

Tamar
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

'Maximum Overdrive' - film with Emilio Estevez. Along similar lines to the Australian one Alistair remembers.

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 01:53 pm:   

Ah, there's nothing like Emilio Estevez and possessed tractor-trailers.

Alistair
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:53 am:   

I just remembered that the I, Robot film with Will Smith was loosely based on stories by Asmiov. I'm not so familiar with Asimov so don't really know if the stories involve robot extermination of humanity or not, but they might be worth checking out.

If you scroll down a little on this Asimov site, there's some relevant info:

http://www.asimovonline.com/

E Thomas
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

The film wasn't really based on stories by Asimov. They took a robots take over script and then added random elements to try to tie it in to Asimov's robot novels and I, Robot. Actually, Asimov was fairly positive about robots and robot technology. If there was problems, it was usually good old-fashioned human related.

I just bought a book entitled Androids at Arms by Andre Norton. I have no idea if it is a robot dystopia because all I know is about the title, but it sounds like it might be...

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:51 am:   

Well, it doesn't sound like Androids at Arms is a robot dystopia, but in other news I repeated your question on the Asimov's forum as one of our openended questions on the SF Trivia IV thread.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

The film mentioned upthread is The Cars That Ate Paris aka Cars, an early Peter Weir film.

There's the classic Sturgeon story, Killdozer, of couse. And the Twonky, the Henry Kuttner story, turned into a motion picture starring Hans Conreid.

E Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:49 am:   

Here are the responses coming in on the Asimov's forum:

karl b:
short fiction - Harry Harrison's "War With the Robots"

novel - Benford's "Across the Sea of Suns"

and for the "really obscure" category - the War Against the Machine snippet in "Steppenwolf"

Bruce:
Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserker' series.

David Marshall:
Alastair Reynold's series of books, including Absolution Gap (the only one I've read so far), features a universe where "Inhibitor" machines arise from several-million-year dormancy to slay any species that dares to achieve spacefaring sentience.

Gardner Dozois:
If you count AIs in with "comptures taking over" stories, there's Charles Stross's "Antibodies."

There's also John Varley's "Press Enter," which, along with Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream," must be the story on this theme to have won the most awards.

A few decades back, there was COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, which was made into a movie And there's always good old HAL 9000.

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:33 am:   

Thanks, E. Had no idea this had migrated over there.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   

I don't know if this is relevant, but Justina Robson's novel SILVER SCREEN partially deals with humanity's fear that AIs could take over; it's mostly about the legal rights of an AI as a person, but I thought I'd mention it.

E Thomas
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

Yep, I grabbed the question and moved it over there. As I said, I thought it might make an interesting open-ended question for the trivia thread we have going there. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register