Couple questions. . . Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Irvine, Alex » Couple questions. . . « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:06 pm:   

Alex,

I'm about halfway through One King, One Soldier now. Enjoying it so far, particularly the parts with George, which surprises me a little. Anyway, I seem to recall reading somewhere that One King was written before Scattering of Jades. Is this right?

Also, I remember hearing about another novel of yours, Chickenbus. Is there any chance of seeing this book at any point?

Alex
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

Mastage, glad you're engoying One King. It was written immediately after (well, starting about six months after) Jades--but what you're reading is extensively revised from that first draft, which dates from 1997.

Far as Chickenbus goes: I wish. The story that was the seed of that novel is "Gus Dreams of Biting the Mailman," which is up for this year's World Fantasy Award. Haven't had any luck with the book, though.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   

Wow--Jades was written that long ago?

I finished One King today. On the whole, I think I liked Jades a bit better, though right at the moment I couldn't tell you why. I'd probably have to go flip through Jades again. One King definitely picked up for me in the second half, and the last fifty pages or so went by almost too fast, after all the time spent with characters moving - or being led - around without much or any knowledge of their destinations. One thing I'd definitely have liked would be to have gotten to know Ellie a little better; she seems barely there when we finally meet her, after having heard about her so much. I definitely enjoyed the book, though--"secret histories" are a relatively new pleasure to me, especially good ones--and am itching to read some more of your work, so while I'm not in the mood to read Have Robot, Will Travel right now, I'll probably (finally) start working through my copy of Unintended Consequences one of these days, and am definitely looking forward to Life of Riley.

One more question for now: I think I read in an interview (I should really start bookmarking interviews so that I can actually confirm what I think I half-remember) something about a time-travel H.G. Wells novel. Is that project still alive?

Alex
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:01 am:   

Mastadge, sorry I didn't notice this response for five months. Yeesh.

I started Jades in August of 1993, put it down for a while so I could go to grad school, and finished it in November of 1996.

Yeah, the HG Wells book is alive for sure. There's one other lined up in front of it. I just finished THE NARROWS, which will show up this fall, and then I'm going to do a near-future SF novel, and then the HG Wells story.

At least that's the plan right now...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register