This is neat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Irvine, Alex » This is neat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   

...and not just because it's partially about my story. SpaceDaily is a cool site anyway.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-03zx.html

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

Good article. And good story, man. I meant to email you a few weeks ago when I read it. Very impressive.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 08:37 am:   

Hi Alex,

Just wanted to say thanks for those kind words about the Flames, and 'A Scattering of Jades' knocked me out when I read it last July. Looking forward to your latest...enjoy the finals!

Cheers, Bruce
Calgary, Canada

Alex
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:34 am:   

Thanks, Bruce. I do admire the way the Flames are playing right now. They skate hard, forecheck like crazy, and score timely goals. What's not to love? I think they'll take Tampa Bay.

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:56 am:   

Hey, Irvine, where's JPPN#2?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:24 am:   

Go Lightning!

Hey, I'm from Florida, okay?

Bruce
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 11:01 am:   

A Lightning fan sullying this tread? Sacrilege! Actually, Lucius, I'd you pegged as a Red Wing fan so your allegiance to them Floridians is even more understandable. :0)

Yes, Alex, what's not to love? The Flame's run at the Cup is bordering on the surreal:

- In March, fans in Calgary were starting to say, 'Hey, we just might make the playoffs. Then it was, 'We should take a game or two off the Canucks', then 'Hope we don't get swept by Detroit', etc., etc.

- Watching our coach Sutter, released earlier by San Jose, shaking hands with the team he used to coach after their loss to the Flames. Way unusual.

- Our goalie Kipper, cut by San Jose, now shorted for the Vezina and Conn Smythe trophies, thrashing their netminder Nabokov, the guy who took his job.

- Goals by fourteen players so far in the playoffs; could be an NHL record.

- No trashtalking by any of the players, no riots or destruction by the 50,000 fans who've been partying in the streets.

And so on. It scans like a really bad Disney sports movie...

Alex
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   

Argh, the JPPN2 question. Coming, Mr. Ford, coming...

Lucius, you lived for how long in Michigan? And still you choose the Lightning? At long last, sir, have you no shame?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

Not as long as I lived in Florida, man. And what, pray tell, does Calgary have to do with Michigan? That franchise has far more to do with the awesomely horrid city of Atlanta....

As for any allegiance to the Wings, when I lived in Detroit and Ann Arbor, we called them the Dead Things, they were so sorry. I wasn't around for any cups. I was and still am basically a Leaf fan. Once the Leafs are out, I basically don't care, but a team from Florida, the underdog.....I'm rooting for them.

Alex
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

But Calgary beat the Wings, plus they're Canadian, so I'm with them the rest of the way. And boy, do I remember the Dead Things days. I went to my first Wings game in '75. Columnists in Denver still call them the Dead Things, and think they came up with it.

Bruce
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:10 pm:   

Yeah, what Alex says.

Besides, most of the Wings are canuckleheads anyway. Twice the payscale, twice the payload, half the heart.

...and we burnt away any nasty vestiges of the Atlanta stigma. I heard there were healing circles, that the Atlanta banners were ceremoniously trampled by chuckwagons, that the Atlantean miasma was flash-frozen away by one Crisp winter. Or the memory of Georgian origins disappeared after a few good benders, which is far more likely.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:11 pm:   

...yeah, and then the vendors show up with peanuts....D'oh!

:-)

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:12 pm:   

Alex, did you that Dave Hanson, one of the three Hanson Brothers in SLAP SHOT, actually played for the Wings briefly during the Dead Things era?

Bruce, with all respect, the only thing I really care about in western Canada is Guy Maddin. :-)
If y'all win, it's not gonna break my heart or anything. I haven't really been much of a hocket fan since the Darryl Sittler days. Nowadays boxing and mixed martial arts is my hockey.

See, I don't know why you guys aren't into the purest sports of all, combat sports....

Alex
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:28 am:   

I used to admire Darryl Sittler, even though the Leafs killed the Wings all the time. I wonder if Dave Hanson ever speared him.

I'm into boxing. Even kickboxing, which I was just watching on ESPN last week. But they guys were all huge, so it wasn't much to see. Kickboxing is a small man's sport; if you weigh 350 pounds, that's just too much meat to move around. Sez me.

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:37 am:   

I don't think Dave Hanson could have caught Sittler...The first WIngs game I saw in person, the Leafs won 13-0.

What you're seeing on ESPN is the K-! series mostly, which is the worst of the combat sports organizations, in my view. Me, I like the Pride Fighting series and, on occasion, the UFC...though I think the better fighters are in Pride.

As far as size, one of the all-time great kockboxers was Rick "The Jet" Rufous, who weighed about 215-220. That's not 350, but it ain't small either. Those mammoth guys like Bob Sapp are a joke.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register