Good News for Fans of George Alec Eff... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fox, Andrew » Good News for Fans of George Alec Effinger « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 07:51 am:   

Here's some terrific news for fans of the late (and sorely missed) George Alec Effinger. Golden Gryphon Books will be publishing the third in its series of Effinger retrospectives this June, entitled A Thousand Deaths. Its centerpiece will be George's personal favorite of all his novels, The Wolves of Memory, which has been out of print for many years. Editor Marty Halpern is also including all of George's short fiction that featured Wolves' hapless protagonist, Sandor Courane, including a particular favorite of mine, "Posterity," a harrowing (and partially based on experience) account of a stay at New Orleans' old Charity Hospital. Mike Resnick provides the introduction, and yours truly provides the afterword (lots of after-words, actually).

Check out this link for a more complete description and for a peek at John Picacio's fantastic wrap-around cover (John also painted the covers for the first two books in this series, also highly recommended):

http://www.goldengryphon.com/forth.html#atd

Alan frackelton
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   

Hello there Andrew.

I've been looking forward to this one ever since spotting it on the Locus forthcoming list; I loved Budayeen Nights and Live! From Planet Earth (Live! especially, because it contained 'Glimmer, Glimmer', 'Two Sadnesses' & 'Seven Nights in Slumberland', three of the stories that first brought this wonderful writer to my attention).

Do you know if there are plans for any more Effinger collections, either from Golden Gryphon or another publisher? I recall from the intro to Live! that he wrote around 200 short stories, and I'm guessing they haven't all been collected...

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:36 am:   

Hi, Alan. I spoke recently with Marty Halpern, and, unfortunately, he doubts that more in this series of G.A.E. collections will be forthcoming. I'm pretty sure that A Thousand Deaths will be Marty's last book as an in-house editor at Golden Gryphon. However, Marty will be moving on to other houses and other projects, and, given his love for G.A.E.'s work, it could be possible that additional collections could find a home under another imprint, eventually. We all can hope! My favorite story, "White Hats," hasn't been collected yet, by the way.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

"...he doubts that more in this series of G.A.E. collections will be forthcoming..."

That's a pity. But like you said, we can hope... In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for copies of the his earlier collections, plus I think there are still one or two novels I haven't read yet.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:14 am:   

Here are a couple of suggestions -- nearly all of G.A.E.'s early story collections and novels pop up on eBay pretty regularly, so long as buying ex-library copies doesn't bother you (George always hated the notion that somewhere, some library had stripped itself of his older books, however). Or, if you go to one of the online booksellers, you'll find that a couple of different print-on-demand companies have made some of his early works available again, including his first novel, What Entropy Means to Me. Happy hunting! I really like George's The Nick of Time and The Bird of Time, by the way, if you haven't read those two novels yet.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:29 am:   

Ex-library copies are fine, but me and eBay don't get along (very long story...) so I'll probably start with a trawl through Amazon. It's really a question of whether I can afford them...

And thanks for the recommendations, Andrew. The list of books I want to get hold of just gets longer and longer and loner. It's frightening...

Lori Smith
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   

Another place you might want to check is AbeBooks: http://www.abebooks.com/

They allow you to search for new, used, rare, and out-of-print books listed by a number of independent booksellers. You can sometimes find things there even cheaper than eBay.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

Yeah, a few people have told me abebooks is worth a look, but I've yet to check them out.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   

Dear Friends of George,

Octavia Books, my favorite New Orleans bookstore, will be sponsoring its fourth Somewhat-Annual George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading, this coming Thursday, July 12, 2007, at 6 P.M. This year's event focuses on the latest posthumous collection from G.A.E. and Golden Gryphon Books, A Thousand Deaths:

http://www.goldengryphon.com/thousand-frame.html

(See the above link for several glowing reviews of the collection, plus a look at John Picacio's fabulous wraparound cover.)

Octavia Books is located at 513 Octavia Street in Uptown New Orleans, not far from the intersection of Tchoupitoulas Street and Jefferson Avenue. Their phone number is (504) 899-7323, and their website can be found at www.octaviabooks.com .

I'll be giving a brief talk on George's career and its connection to New Orleans, then follow with a reading of a selection from one of the collection's stories (most probably "Posterity," my favorite of the bunch). Since I was honored with the task of writing the collection's afterword, I'll also sign copies, if customers would like. So, if you're in the area this coming Thursday, please drop in and tell Dara and me "hi."

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   

Man, do I miss Octavia Books. I'll be there in spirit, Andy.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   

I wish you could be here, Nathan. How've you been doing? How did you enjoy this year's Readercon? I'd love to get up to Massachusetts for that sometime. Who was there that I'd know? I think I read on Ellen's message board that Lucius would be there.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   

Yeah, Lucius was guest of honor, along with Karen Joy Fowler. I don't know who you'd know, but among them were Jeff Ford, Kelly Link, Gavin Grant, Jason from Night Shade, John Crowley, Holly Black, John Clute, John Langan, Dale Bailey, Michael Cisco ... the list goes on and on. It was a great time. You definitely need to get yourself to one sometime. Are you going to World Fantasy this year?

Andrew Fox
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:01 am:   

Nope; no conventions for me this year. It's too difficult to travel any long distances with three kids under the age of four (air travel is a true nightmare), and I can't justify leaving Dara alone with the boys unless the trip is clearly work related (i.e.: I have another book coming out which I need to flack, which isn't currently the case, unfortunately). Depending on circumstances, next year is a possibility, though.

I would've loved to have seen Lucius, Jeff Ford, and Dale Bailey, as well as meet the others you list. Alas, another time, I hope. . .

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:14 am:   

Hi, everybody. I just remembered that I've been remiss in posting a report regarding how the George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading/A Thousand Deaths event at Octavia Books went. We had a group of about seventeen people show, which isn't a bad number at all for a store of Octavia's intimate size. Several of George's old friends were there, including John Guidry, organizer of the 1988 New Orleans WorldCon, whom I'd never met. (New Orleans is such a small town in a lot ways -- smaller than it used to be -- and the SF community here is even smaller and tighter; it's amazing that I've lived here as long as I have and somehow never gotten to meet John Guidry. I was living on Long Island during the 1988 WorldCon, so I missed out on that. Still, there've been plenty of cons and readings since then. Well, we've probably been in the same room lots of times and just never been introduced until now.)

I gave a talk on George's deep connection to New Orleans and his frustrated desire to be known and recognized as part of the New Orleans literary community. Then I read the first third of "Posterity," my favorite story in the new collection; it takes place in New Orleans' famous Charity Hospital, which flooded during Katrina and which has never reopened. Tom and Judith, Octavia's owners, provided wine and cheese, and my littlest son, Judah, provided a quiet but constant commentary throughout my talk and reading (including lots and lots of blueberries). Tom sold a number of copies of Thousand Deaths, plus copies of the earlier GAE collections from Golden Gryphon. All in all, it was a really enjoyable event, and I hope we'll be able to continue the Somewhat Annual George Alec Effinger Memorial Reading series into years to come.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   

Good. Maybe next time I'll be able to make it. I need to get down there again for a New Orleans fix in the worst way. Going to an event at Octavia Books would certainly be a treat.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register